Code of Conduct

Default so if there was a Mt. Rushmore for fragrance, what would be the 4 fragrances??

Take into consideration popularity, success in sales, impact on the fragrance industry, impact on fragrance making in general, scent. which 4 fragrance would be in the mt. rushmore of fragrances?

I think two of them would have to be Le Male and Acqua Di Gio. Right now there not to highly thought of sometimes because of being overused, but thinking about the impact and the sales and the originality WHEN THEY CAME OUT in the 1990's.

Default Re: so if there was a Mt. Rushmore for fragrance, what would be the 4 fragrances??

Chanel No. 5
    Aqua Di Gio
    Old Spice
    Mitsuko

Default Re: so if there was a Mt. Rushmore for fragrance, what would be the 4 fragrances??

Mitsuko
    Old Spice
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Acqua Di Gio

Considering Mt rushmore is a mountain of four prestigious presidents, i'd say they all had something similar and in common in that sense and part of a "group" hence i would say the aramis gentlmen collection

How about:

Acqua di Gio
    Polo
    Cool Water
    Drakkar Noir

so the main constant so far is acqua di gio

Chanel No. 5
    Mitsouko
    Tabac Blond
    Joy

And an honorable mention to Fracas.

Old Spice
    Aqua di Gio
    Green Irish Tweed*

(*I've kept is restricted to male or unisex fragrances. If female marketed frags are included, then GIT should be replaced by Chanel No. 5)

Acqua di Gio??????????? Was that meant as a joke?

The 4 pillars in the perfume industry (due to their impact):
    First and foremost: Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenuber (1714). It created a new term "Eau de Cologne" (Eau de Cologne is french for Kölnisch Wasser after all). (4711 by Muelhens (1792) was just an imitation, and a poor imitation if you ask me)
    Second: Royal English Leather by Creed (1781). It not only launched the house of Creed, but also change the concept of perfumes made, up until then, basically from citrics and flowers.
    Third: Chanel # 5 (1921). Introduced the aldehydes to perfumery, along with Shalimar (1925) a Tabu (1932) really set the future of feminine perfumes.
    Fourth goes again to Creed: Green Irish Tweed in 1985 revolutioned the men fragrance world, it inspired Davidoff's Cool Water and the new world of "Aquatics" is born.
    Honorable mention goes to Fougere Royale by Houbigant (1882) and Jicky by Guerlain (1889) for the introduction of synthetics into perfumery
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 4th October 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Acqua di Gio??????????? Was that meant as a joke?
    On the contrary....I am as serious as a Henry Creed III portrait.....

I see your logic, and for the record, I don't own and would never buy AdG....but I can't deny it's popularity, and it's certainly a nice enough scent

Also, I can certainly see many of the other suggestions, especially GIT and 4711
    Last edited by Force of One; 4th October 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: addition

Coty Chypre
    Houbigant Fougère Royale
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Chanel No. 5

Maybe Jicky instead of Mitsouko.
    Last edited by Furriner; 4th October 2010 at 04:29 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko
    Joy
    Chanel No.5
    Fracas
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have no idea if the stories about Santa Maria Novella's first fragrance are true (made for Catherine de Medici some 250 years before anything happened in Köln). If they are, it shouldn't be dismissed.

Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia
    Guerlain Jicky (it's strange, and maybe not very credible phrase, but Jicky is said to be the first abstract fragrance)
    Chanel No. 5
    Angel (It's debatable which is the first real gourmand, but Angel certainly made a big difference on how we perceive fragrances; many peculiar fragrances of present and future are in debt for Angel, I believe)

My choices include:

The initial EDC formulation by Farina Gegenuber- even before 4711- from 1709
    No. 5
    YSL Opium
    Guerlain's Shalimar

fountain

polo
    polo
    polo
    polo

Wouldn't a Mount Rushmore be better suited to perfumers rather than perfumes, since the original memorializes people? In my opinion, we could have:

Jean-Marie Farina (Cologne water)
    Paul Parquet (Fougère)
    François Coty (Chypre)
    Jacques Guerlain (Shalimar, Mitsouko, l'Heure Bleue)

Although the first three are reference scents, and established subsequent families, Fougère Royale (1882) would not be the first fougère, since Trumper's Wild Fern appears to date from 1877. Of all the Guerlain, I chose Jacques since he's the one whose products still form the core of the brand's (dare I say France's!) reputation.

Honourable mentions to:
    Edmond Roudnitska (Eau Sauvage, Femme, Diorissimo, and successfully selling the idea of perfumery as an art form)
    William Penhaligon (Hammam Bouquet)
    Edouard Pinaud (having established one of the first international perfume houses)

Welcome to Basenotes MHV! That is one great first post.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Agree with MHV. One helluva 1st post!

My choices would be:

Edmond Roudnitska
    Jacques Guerlain
    Earnest Beaux
    ** can't quite decide on a modern master **

Jean-Claude Elléna?

Hey all, thanks for the kind word! Guess I've been reading a lot lately, and sniffing much too. Glad to be around here.

I think you really have to look at the conceptual significance of the presidents on Mt. Rushmore and each one individually then relate them to colognes.

Chanel no. 5 - obviously
    Guerlain Jicky - groundbreaking use of blended notes
    Chanel PM - first widely adopted masculine cyphre
    Dior Eau Sauvage - forerunner to the trend of lighter, more refreshing scents that are not traditional EDCs
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

4711 (oweing to Farina EDC)
    Old Spice
    Eau Sauvage
    Cool Water

Number 6
    Jockey Club
    Almond Creme
    Tricorn
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Chanel No. 5
    Mitsouko
    Shalimar
    Old Spice

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    Coty Chypre
    Houbigant Fougère Royale
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Chanel No. 5

Maybe Jicky instead of Mitsouko.
    Yes, sir, in terms of the modern history of perfume, this is the Noble Four! These were the true innovators of their time that made a lasting impact, whose legacy continues until the present day.

Those newer things you young fellers mentioned will soon be forgotten... Sorry, but it's true: all the rage at the moment, and gone before people even notice.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    Take into consideration popularity, success in sales, impact on the fragrance industry, impact on fragrance making in general, scent.
    Hard to tell, as You knew already. But, what is popular today even as a classic is not what moved people back then. As an example consider Trefle Incarnat from Piver (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...ver_aroma.html). From what I read it has been an epiphany. Revealing synthetic, hence affordable and iconic to Art Deco/Nuveau, Youth Style. Perfumer: wasn't it Darzens et al?

Would it be completly misguided to identify Piver Floramye with what was later on considered as typical powder? Orris root and in 1905 the first use of aldehydes, not Chanels #5! Darzens again.

An other is the snotty leather scent known as Knize Ten (Coty et al). When it came out leather was still a costly good. If someone hadn't his own pony, why not resembling one scent-wise, despite of being "sine nobile"?

Farinas Cologne, sure. (Farina ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Agree with MHV. One helluva 1st post!

My choices would be:

Edmond Roudnitska
    Jacques Guerlain
    Ernest Beaux
    ** can't quite decide on a modern master **
    If we're talking in terms of putting up the heads of perfumers, then these three are very far ahead. A possible fourth would Ernest Daltroff, the founder of Caron, perhaps not for sheers numbers, but for the quality of such as Narcisse Noir, Pour Un Homme, Nuit de Noël, Violette Précieuse, and Bellodgia.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca