Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone has opinions on Sira Des Indes & Badgley Mischka?

I'm contemplating a purchase of these two, as I realised that I'm into fruity florals leaning more to the fruity side.

But the worst thing will be if the EDP dies on me after an hour or so.

I've got skin which disposes of Shalimar EDP within 5 hours,Poison esprit d parfum within 16 hours and Mitsouko parfum within 12.

Also, do any of the above evolve much, or have any distinctive character?

Thanks

P/S I've read most of the opinions online but they serve to confuse me, as the former especially seems to be a love or hate type of scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone has opinions on Sira Des Indes & Badgley Mischka?

I don't know Badgley Mischka, but Sira des Indes is most definitely a polarizing scent - it's quite sweet and syrupy upon opening, and it features a banana note which many people find objectionable. I love it and find it very distinctive, but I'm a fan of almost anything Patou, fwiw. Anyway, it reminds me of Bananas Foster being flambéed with dark rum in an old New Orleans restaurant filled with all sorts of spicy and delicious aromas, plus vase upon vase of fragrant tropical flowers...over a sensuous base of creamy sandalwood, amber and musk, lol. It's sweet and girly, pretty, flirty, sort of sexy but quite casual. The longevity is okay on me - I suppose I get 4 or 5 hours from the edp...but of course your mileage may vary.

Although I certainly recommend it, I always recommend testing on skin first. I've heard this described as a sickly, fruity horror by people who share my tastes, so you just never know.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a full bottle of Badgley Mischka EDP after sampling it several times in the spring. I know a lot of people find it very fruity and sweet, but I don't.

The fruit largely disappears on my skin after a very quick, initial blast of peachy top notes. After that, Badgley Mischka on me is all about the osmanthus, and it's a green, clean osmanthus, compared to the sweet, nectary osmanthus of SL Nuit de Cellophane. It's pretty linear. The osmanthus fades out, and the green evolves into a clean, cool musk. It's quite nice, but I don't get any amber or patchouli (and I love -- and therefore actively seek out -- both), and it's not the warm musk of, say, SL Clair de Musc or Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

I will say this: for me Badgley Mischka is exclusively a spring fragrance. I tried to wear it a couple of times in the high heat and humidity of summer, and it was very cloying. I will finish the bottle, but I probably won't repurchase.

Hope this helps.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for both your inputs.

One for each...how balanced! lol

Evangeline, your description sounds delish!

ExtremeKF, you are stirring comparisons to Mitsouko, and that makes me very eager to try it.

Hopefully there'll be more opinions.

I don't know Badgley Mischka well enough to comment but Sira des Indes smells like an extremely close sibling of the Lutens' Bois Series. Upon sniffing it up close, I get a faint banana-like, creamy note that I don't find very pleasant. But my friend has SdI, and EVERYTIME he wears it, I mistake it for Feminite de Bois. EVERY FREKIN TIME!!!

I have never tried Badgley Mischka but I own a bottle of Sira des Indes and I like it a lot. It's a tropical fruty-floral with a clearly detectable banana accord. It has just the right amount of sweetness, it's by no means overly sweet or cloying (this comes from somebody who can't cope with the sweetness level of the Lolita Lempicka's for instance). It is great in the summer.

However, I would, as always, recommend sampling it first. If you can't get to a mall to try it out then you could order a sample from e.g.:
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    ExtremeKF, you are stirring comparisons to Mitsouko, and that makes me very eager to try it.

Hi, Dom. Just a word of a caution. Having tried both Mitsouko (which I appreciate but cannot wear) and Badgley Mischka, I don't think there's much overlap, even with the peach note.

The peach in Badley Mischka is handled very differently from the peach in Mitsouko, but I'm afraid I don't know how to articulate it beyond saying that Mitsouko seems to use the peach as a vehicle for carrying other notes. Badgley Mischka does not. It just blasts peach initially, then drops it completely. Does that make sense?

I don't know if anyone on Basenotes would equate the two -- they are universes apart. I still have the sample of Badgley Mischka that I test drove. If you want to PM me, we can work out a way for me to send it to you. Maybe a sample swap?

I agree with ExtremeKF about Badgley Mischka and Mitsouko...they are both chypres but they are nothing alike. In an effort to buy all of the pre reformulation chypres that I could find, I bought Badgley Mischka. It is a deceptive little thing, and the weather temperature emphacizes different notes. In cooler weather, the fruity notes remain throughout the drydown process. However, in hot weather, the fruit disappears quickly and the patchouli remains for hours. (I like this.) My impressions are very different from those in The Guide. I do not find Badgley Mischka loud. In fact, I find that it wears fairly close to the skin except in the very hottest weather. And the longevity is great!