Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new winter fragrance?

Hey this is my first post! I am looking for some help looking for a new cologne to use in Fall/Winter. It doesn't snow here and will be about between 40-60 F for the next 6 months.

Past and current colognes I've used or have been Hugo by Hugo Boss, Burberry Touch, John Varvatos Vintage, Fuel for Life by Diesal, Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna and Play by Givenchy.

Burberry Touch wasn't bad and it seemed to last pretty well, it just seemed like the projection on it wasn't very good compared to some of the other things I've tried out in the past.

I loved how John Varvatos Vintage smelled but it didn't seem to last longer then an hour or two. Perhaps it just had bad chemistry on my skin.

Fuel for Life is what I have been using lately. I got it at the end of last Winter and have picked up its use again now that is becoming rather chilly again. It seems to project pretty well and lasts a good amount of time so I'm quite happy with it but I'd really like to find something else to use also instead of just using the same scent everyday which I find kind of boring myself.

If you guys could help me pick out for fall/winter based on this information with good longevity and projection it would be appreciated. If you guys would like any other information just let me know and I'll try to answer you the best I can. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a new winter fragrance?

Burberry London

YSL Rive Gauche

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Burberrt london

I think if you like the sweet orange aquatic smell of Givenchy Play, maybe check out Hugo Boss in Motion. It is a sweet orange vanilla smell with a nice musky base.

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy Very Irresistible
    YSL M7

Post Thanks / Like

Is Burberry London's longevity and projection good? I'll probably go sample it at a department store. Also does anyone happen to know any websites that you can safely purchase cologne at?

BradW, I do like the aquatic smell of Givenchy Play but it isn't really what I'm looking for in Fall/Winter. Is Hugo Boss in Motion a more fresh spring or heavier fall sweet orange scent? Either way I'll probably try and see if it's at the same department store.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes Firemave!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firemave View Post
    Is Burberry London's longevity and projection good? I'll probably go sample it at a department store. Also does anyone happen to know any websites that you can safely purchase cologne at?
    I've seen London at Sephora so you might be able to sample it there. Not the best price, however. Test it on your skin rather than a scent strip. Projection and longevity is OK, I get olfactory fatigue pretty easily and others can smell it on me even when I can't.

parfum1 has it for a good price and they have a 15% off coupon if you buy before Oct 11th. Enter OCTOBER15PQ when you're checking out. They're legit. Takes about a week to receive it.

http://www.parfum1.com/burberry-lond...itm=BURBLMTS34

You might as well try He Wood Rocky Mountain while you're at Sephora
    http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=RVP
    Last edited by adonis; 5th October 2010 at 09:32 PM.

BradW, I do like the aquatic smell of Givenchy Play but it isn't really what I'm looking for in Fall/Winter. Is Hugo Boss in Motion a more fresh spring or heavier fall sweet orange scent? Either way I'll probably try and see if it's at the same department store.

I feel that Hugo Boss in Motion is a great fall/winter scent if you like oranges. I guess you could say it's like an orange creamsickle over a musky base. Not sure if it's easily found in stores anymore, but not too hard to find online.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Givenchy Play Intense - it amps up the woody, wintery aspects of the original and tempers the bright fireworks.

More approachable, well-regarded cool-weather scents (there are many):

Guerlain L'Instant
    Chanel Allure
    Must de Cartier or Cartier Roadster
    Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Jacob's Bang is very fitting for the fall/winter. Burberry London is great for late fall through the cool of spring. Amouage Opus II is fantastic for anytime but especially winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I headed into Sephora today to do some testing and I must say I was quite fond of Burberry London's smell but it just seemed to die on my skin after about an hour. I did get a sample though to try out tomorrow as I have a feeling the 1 Million I put on my hand completely overpowered the London on the bottom of my wrist.

1 Million is either the most durable scent that I've ever smelled or that stuff just likes my skin a lot because after trying to wash it off 3 times it still hasn't faded at all since the time I put it on about 5 hours ago. I must say I enjoy the smell of it but it would be something more likely I'd use in the Spring/Summer instead of Fall/Winter. Does anyone know if this is limited or just new?

As for He Wood Rocky Mountain, I wasn't actually able to find it, but I ran into the normal He Wood, wasn't bad but again not something for this time of year. Still interested in finding the Rocky Mountain version though.

I also tried out some Fahrenheit and I must say I do not find the appeal of this fragrance at all. It just was unflattering.

Last thing I tried in store was Roadster by Cartier. This seemed to have a nice effect on my skin and is still smelling nice after a few hours. Should have probably got a sample.

But along with the Burberry London sample, I got a D&G The One Gentleman and Gucci by Gucci samples so I'll see how those go.

Once again thanks for your guys help so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros, M7, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Opium

from affordable to more pricy -

Hermés, Terre d´Hermés.
    Comme des Garcons, #2 for Men.
    COstume National, SHeer (or Scent Intense)
    Annick Goutal, Sables
    Montale, Red Vetiver
    Amouage, Jubilation XXV.