Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a leather and tobacco scent without all of the fruity or campfire components.

Ive tried quite a few scents, but I just cannot seem to find what I am looking for, I thought maybe the knowledgeable folks here could help. I tried the search function, but seem to find scents that are mainly tobacco or mainly leather, but not any that are both with the other scents that I want.

The best way I can describe what I am looking for is this:
    My grandfather was very wealthy and always had his pipe with the finest tobacco. I didnt like the smell of his pipe nearly as much as I loved the smell of the unused pipe tobacco that he kept in a box on his desk. All of his furniture was custom made overstuffed with very thick buttery soft leather that filled the room with its scent and his car interiors smelled the same, but even more so due to the confined space. I used to love the strong leather scent that filled the air of his office or car and that fine sweet robust pipe tobacco scent that wafted through the air mixing with that rich leather smell.

I want a scent that smells smells like leather first, pipe tobacco second and is distinctly masculine. I am not remotely interested in something that could be described as unisex or that a woman might want to wear unless she wanted to smell like a man. Id also like it to have decent longevity, even if it is very strong at first. The last few scents Ive tried really did not have the staying power Id like.

I dont want all of the fruity citrus, bacon campfire, or cigar type scents that most of leather or tobacco colognes seem to have that I have tried. I have not tried the expensive and I have not tried the hard to find, but I am willing to try either, I just want to know what to look at before I spend the money..unlike my grandfather, I am not wealthy lol. So think fine unlit pipe tobacco and the smell of a brand new very high end car's handmade rich leather interior. I wish I could describe it more eloquently, but thats the smell I remember. I definitely want the scent to smell like something an older gentleman might wear and not something that is considered hip and young. I definitely dont want it to smell "fresh or citrus".

I hope this makes sense. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by jc1234; 4th October 2010 at 02:40 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a leather and tobacco scent without all of the fruity or campfire components.

Welcome, JC.

Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay has tobacco and a leathery note. A crisp topnote, with ginger and boozy whiskey.

(However, don't believe the marketing story about the namesake being a perfumer. All advertising.)

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...-le-dandy.html

For a true leather scent, try Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman; this is a leather opening with floral. For a wonderful fresh (unsmoked) pipe tobacco, try By Killian Back to Black.

It is wise to sample before you buy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th October 2010 at 03:21 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Looking for a leather and tobacco scent without all of the fruity or campfire components.

tobacco vanille by tom ford has tobacco leaf, flower and pipe tobacco with vanilla, bois du portugal by creed is a woodsy scent but could be interpreted as a tobacco type of scent either of those would be good to try out.

This was my idea too, at least for the tobacco. I've been satisfied with several leather frags, including The Knize Ten. I went to http://www.perfumersapprentice.com and bought some tobacco absolute. It's cheap. However, you have to dilute it with something, and that's what I'm experimenting with now, because the longevity isn't very good yet. Call Linda up (owner) and ask her what she thinks. She was very helpful when I talked to her. My suggestion is to use some amber too, or else it might be too "rough," but see what she thinks.

This is the first thing I thought of.
    http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/tabac4.shtml

Although its listed as unisex, it leans very much to the masculine side IMO.
    Don't worry, the only fruit I get is a tinge of cherry in the beginning.

Tabac Aurea is an amazing scent. This review says it all.
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Sono...Aurea-958.html
    Last edited by ajmc; 4th October 2010 at 03:04 AM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens
    Furmerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Edit: Also try Chergui by Sere Lutens and Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford
    Last edited by volley2; 4th October 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Roger Gallet L'Homme Essential is very much in the pipe tobacco realm. It might be discontinued, but it's still fairly available online.

Post Thanks / Like

consider michael by michael kors

AromiErotici

For niche, look into a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea

For designer, I found MCM Success and Capucci Punjab to do nicely.

What of Cabochard? A fine leather scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

What you are looking for is already in the market. Although it has been discontinued, you can get it cheap in ebay, and I think Fragancenet offers the 3.4 oz. bottle for less than 15 bucks. Very masculine, tobacco and woods are the main notes, and you can smell some leather in the background. The perfume is called "Cigar aficionado" and it is reviewed here in basenotes.
    You got to give it a try.

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies so quickly, I thought I would be waiting days, not minutes! I have researched several of the fragrances mentioned already and have read some reviews of the new ones that I had not heard of before your posts. So far the Tabac Aurea has my attention the most, even though it says that it can be worn by a man or a woman. Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay also seems very interesting. Im really trying to avoid anything that has been discontinued, Ive been down that road before and I just hate falling in love with a scent only to have trouble finding it when I want to buy another bottle. I will try samples of a few of these scents but for the price of the small Tabac Aurea, I may just buy it so I have something to wear regularly for now. My last two colognes that I have are both summer scents, a Trumpers sandlewood which is nice, but definitely not a winter scent and a L'Octaine that just doesnt last long enough to be worth wearing

People, remember, he doesn't want any "bells and whistles" with his leather or tobacco! LOL.

Tuscan leather is plenty of leather and something you should definitely check out
    Tobacco Vanille doesn't seem to fit your bill. It's a sweet gourmand and doesn't suit entirely what you're looking for.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

Tuscan Leather has that fairly dominant raspberry accord though. A combination of both leather, tobacco and woods and pepper, no sweetness would be something like Tommy Bahama original, but it may be too thin for your taste. Although it contains no fruits, it's still somewhat of an aquatic. Another recommendation is Cigar by Remy Latour, very inexpensive, smells like fresh cut Cuban cigars, but not so much pipe tobacco; it's both sweet and spicy but well balance between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    So far the Tabac Aurea has my attention the most, even though it says that it can be worn by a man or a woman. I will try samples of a few of these scents but for the price of the small Tabac Aurea, I may just buy it so I have something to wear regularly for now.
    The shopping cart is currently down, but you can still get 1 or 2.5ml samples.
    I highly recommend at least trying it for now. If you like it, you have something to look forward to.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I ordered a sample of the tabac aurea and the tuscan leather. I know the tuscan leather probably isnt for me, but by best friend wanted to try it any way, so I told him Id just give it to him after I tried it. Im REALLY hoping I dont like the tuscan leather, its a bit pricey. I travel and I would be really annoyed if I lost a 170.00 bottle of cologne. I also like that Somona Scent Studio is US based and independently owned. I'll order another sample or two after I get those two in.

Post Thanks / Like

I sincerely think that you're looking for Pascal Morabito's Or Black. Really, I think it matches what you're seeking to a tee; no other frills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I sincerely think that you're looking for Pascal Morabito's Or Black. Really, I think it matches what you're seeking to a tee; no other frills.
    It sounds neat, but its just too hard to find. I dont mind not being able to walk into a local store to get it, but if I cant find it in regular sizes by a quick google search, I dont want to tease myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Tabac Original
    Trussardi Uomo

Post Thanks / Like

Santa Maria Novella has two fragrances you might find interesting. Check out the directory; for example foetidus' reviews of both, Tabacco Toscano (for some reason it's "Tobacco" in the directory) and Acqua di Cuba, are very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a sample of the tabac aurea and the tuscan leather. I know the tuscan leather probably isnt for me, but by best friend wanted to try it any way, so I told him Id just give it to him after I tried it. Im REALLY hoping I dont like the tuscan leather, its a bit pricey. I travel and I would be really annoyed if I lost a 170.00 bottle of cologne. I also like that Somona Scent Studio is US based and independently owned. I'll order another sample or two after I get those two in.
    Tuscan Leather, for me, is a realistic leather. Smells like of a brand new car or an expensive, Italian leather bag. Just smells luxurious. Would like to know what you think when you get the sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    consider michael by michael kors
    +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    This is the first thing I thought of.
    http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/tabac4.shtml[/url]
    Good recommendation - check Fireside Intense as well.

Formidable

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds neat, but its just too hard to find. I dont mind not being able to walk into a local store to get it, but if I cant find it in regular sizes by a quick google search, I dont want to tease myself.
    The only way to get Or Black retail is via Pascal Morabitos' homepage but you can find reasonably priced 4ml-miniatures/samples on eBay for testing purposes. In my opinion, the fragrance is awesome and worth the hassle but I am not sure if it's what you are looking for as I don't really detect any pipe tobaco in it.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 4th October 2010 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see any mention of Miller Harris' Feuilles de Tabac, but I'm a big fan of it so thought I would recommend this one. Very masculine, smooth, and rich blend of fresh tobacco (no smoke at all) with the tiniest bit of spice (nowhere near the spice level of Havana, which is why I prefer it to Havana's cinnamon overload) The smoothness and density of the tobacco note in this scent invokes expensive leather in that it's smooth, soft, and very clean, yet dense. Longevity is excellent, it's an all-day frag for sure.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Post Thanks / Like

Heeley Fine Leather
    Aramis Havana (Vintage)

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies so quickly, I thought I would be waiting days, not minutes! I have researched several of the fragrances mentioned already and have read some reviews of the new ones that I had not heard of before your posts. So far the Tabac Aurea has my attention the most, even though it says that it can be worn by a man or a woman. Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay also seems very interesting. Im really trying to avoid anything that has been discontinued, Ive been down that road before and I just hate falling in love with a scent only to have trouble finding it when I want to buy another bottle. I will try samples of a few of these scents but for the price of the small Tabac Aurea, I may just buy it so I have something to wear regularly for now. My last two colognes that I have are both summer scents, a Trumpers sandlewood which is nice, but definitely not a winter scent and a L'Octaine that just doesnt last long enough to be worth wearing
    Try to keep an open mind about what is "masculine" or "feminine" as you explore different scents. You will find that many fragrances are gender neutral. The gender designation of fragrance is really mostly marketing. In the end, wear what you enjoy and forget about the label.

Le Dandy is now available in the eau de parfum strength and is found in the U.S. at MIN New York. I think they no longer make the eau de toilette (in the silver cap). If it's a comfort to you, Le Dandy is described as a "hearty, masculine scent" with a tobacco base:

https://minnewyork.com/le-dandy-pour...y-d-orsay.html

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw out two from Odori.

Tabacco and Cuoio. Both are well made and done with a minimum of the kind of notes you are looking to avoid.

Both are fairly discreet scents, well made and quite masculine. Nothing about them is "unisex."

Tabacco has a heavy duty pipe tobacco and vanilla vibe. It wears very well on me and is very well done.

Cuoio is their leather scent.

Odori scents don't get a lot of love here because they are very pricey, and while very well made, they don't "stand out" as much a scent like Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille. They are good gentlemen's scents.

I like and wear both TL and TV, but my sense of you is that those two will scare you.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for SL Fumerie Turque.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Sonoma Scent. Another plus is its 'extrait concentration' which makes it even more full bottle-worthy imo. What if you don't like it? You can always sell it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Le Dandy is now available in the eau de parfum strength and is found in the U.S. at MIN New York. I think they no longer make the eau de toilette (in the silver cap). If it's a comfort to you, Le Dandy is described as a "hearty, masculine scent" with a tobacco base:

https://minnewyork.com/le-dandy-pour...y-d-orsay.html
    Its out of stock unfortunately.
    Le Dandy is a scent I wouldn't mind adding to my collection sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Its out of stock unfortunately.
    Le Dandy is a scent I wouldn't mind adding to my collection sometime in the future.
    ajmc, you can still buy the eau de toilette version at Beauty Encounter.

http://perfume.beautyencounter.com/search?w=dandy&af=

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ajmc, you can still buy the eau de toilette version at Beauty Encounter.

http://perfume.beautyencounter.com/search?w=dandy&af=
    Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in your search, but I think you're going to find it a tough go, especially if you're listing the order in which you want to actually smell notes. As for some of the recommendations: I don't get leather out of Le Dandy. Though I love it, it has a tendency to remind me of some old shampoo we used to have growing up, called Apple Pectin. I also never any leather out of Havana, let alone tobacco.

I would have suggested L'Artisan L'eau du Navigateur, as there's certainly leather and tobacco in it, however, it IS smokey and probably not quite what you're looking for.

I would second the Odori Tabacco, just to at least try, along with Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio. The later doesn't have a leather note listed, but it's another one that may just very well fit the bill and probably one of the better ones I've smelled closed to what you're looking for.
    The Bark Bites Back.

So far Ive only received the tabac aurea. I really like the scent, the tabaco reminds me very much of what my grandfather used to use. I do wish it had more of a leather scent though. I definitely like it enough to consider buying, but the longevity just isnt there for some reason. It seemed to virtually disappear after a bout 4 hours of wear.

That being said, does anyone know of a cologne every similar to the tabac aurea, but with more leather? Also, has anyone else had an issue with longevity? I assumed that given the concentration, it would last longer.

Tabac Aurea strikes me as very boozy in the top notes.

Have you tried Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade? This is an interesting leather scent, but not inexpensive. Don't let the name of this scent fool you, as it is an enjoyable, complex scent.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/03/17...grance-review/
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th October 2010 at 06:16 AM.

Aramis Havana is what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

C&S Cuba

I got the Tuscan Leather and I dont care for it much. It has too much of an earthy / smokey smell for me. I'll wear it for a while tonight and see how it smells as it mellows. Im going to try some more samples from the perfumed court based on some of the responses here. Thanks.

Ok after about 2 hours of wearing Tuscan Leather I had to wash it off. It smelled like a old womans perfume to me, I couldnt take it. There is leather and tobacco, but its over powered by a scent that I can only describe as baby powder and fruit. I dont know if I got the wrong sample, or what. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Either Havana or Puig Quorum is what you're looking for.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Pascal Morabito OR BLACK

Post Thanks / Like

Original Tabarome has strong tobacco and leather notes

Sorry for the delayed response, but the decants from the perfumed court just got here yesterday.

So, I decided to try creed bois du portugal, royal scottish lavender, and vintage tabarome to compare to my favorite so far which is Tabac Aurea. I know the scottish lavender really isnt in the same scent category, but it seemed interesting so I figured Id try it.

I loved all of the creed scents when they were in the decants, they smelled lovely, but on me they were another story. The tabarome simply smelled like indian food to me. It just had this spicy smell that I did not at all care for. The scottish lavender smelled to much like irish spring soap for my liking. However the bois du portugal did have a wonderful scent is was very long lasting. I really do enjoy and I might enjoy it more than the Tabac Aurea, but I dont know that I enjoy it enough to cost as many times more than the tabac aurea as it does.

Your thoughts? Has anyone tried both tabac aurea and creed bois du portugal? If so which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

old post..exactly what i'm looking for too.Tried Havana by Aramis and Michael for men...both are ok but none has the level of tobacco i was hoping for...

Post Thanks / Like

Leather and tobacco? Try Dior's Leather Oud. It's all about cigars and armchairs - the ultimate drawing room scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Best tobacco/leather scent i've tried is hands down Amouage Tribute attar. It smells incredibly luxurious, is quite complex and everything seems to work right. A quick description of it would be tobacco/leather/incense tempered with jasmine, there is a lot more going on with it though. Unfortunately it is quite expensive and there is also the hassle of applying the oil (i never seem to manage to put the right amount, tips would be welcome). I only have a 0.25ml sample and it's currently #1 in my buying wishlist.

Post Thanks / Like

What you're looking for might just be in either Vermeil for Men, Cigar by Remy Latour, and/or Bogart pour Homme. All can be had for around $20/bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add another vote for Or Black. Best fragrance I know containing both notes.