Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver oriental serge lutens discontinued

I just got word from a worker at kuhl-linscomb that Vetiver oriental by Serge Lutens will be discontinued. You heard it here first.

Default Re: Vetiver oriental serge lutens discontinued

That sucks! I really hope your wrong.
    Its one of my favorite Lutens. There is nothing else quite like it.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I know i wanted to try it out but they said they had 1 bottle left and after that it is discontinued. Oh well. I guess i will move on and try other vetivers.

Is this a genuine discontinuation or another "retirement" to the Paris Exclusives?

I do not know the details but what I do know is that it is going to be shut down or so I have been told.

Yes, you heard right... DavidBond007. I go to Kuhl-Linscomb to buy most of my niche fragrances, and if I remember correctly there was ONE BOTTLE left of the Vetiver Oriental!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Yes, you heard right... DavidBond007. I go to Kuhl-Linscomb to buy most of my niche fragrances, and if I remember correctly there was ONE BOTTLE left of the Vetiver Oriental!!!
    that is right, what a pity because I wanted to try it on. I have been wanting to give SL a chance and none have rocked my socks, I will have to keep trying. I will post here if and when I can sample some of his colognes I tried his new one and I was not impressed.

Nooooo! I've been meaning to buy a bottle of this and just made a big purchase so now I can't afford it :-(

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I just got word from a worker at kuhl-linscomb that Vetiver oriental by Serge Lutens will be discontinued. You heard it here first.

David,
    That is not correct. Vetiver Oriental, Fumerie Turque, Musc Kublai Khan, Borneo 1834 and a perhaps one to two others are being dropped from the export line. Vetiver Oriental is not discontinued. They were, are part of the limited 'export' releases. You'll still be able to get all of them.
    Neal

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/256...et.?highlight=
    Last edited by neal; 4th October 2010 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    David,
    That is not correct. Vetiver Oriental, Fumerie Turque, Musc Kublai Khan, Borneo 1834 and a perhaps one to two others are being dropped from the export line. Vetiver Oriental is not discontinued. They were, are part of the limited 'export' releases. You'll still be able to get all of them.
    Neal

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/256...et.?highlight=
    ok Neal. It is confusing for me, considering they told me they were shutting it down and now it is not.

Well at least we will still be able to get all of them when in Europe et al as well as from European websites.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Well at least we will still be able to get all of them when in Europe et al as well as from European websites.
    that is cool, i have never tried them so i wanted to sample them out but it seems it will be tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    that is cool, i have never tried them so i wanted to sample them out but it seems it will be tougher.
    You can get samples here. But they don't seem to have VE anymore. http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=58&cat_id=1 You get 7 samples for $15

And here. http://www.beautyhabit.com/sergelutens.html You get 3 samples for $15. Its expensive, but at least you can try VE. http://www.beautyhabit.com/bhsample.html

And then there is always here. http://theperfumedcourt.com/search.a...6-360b1dcbdd16

I have no clue why Luckyscent won't let you purchase SL and MFK scents. That's about the only thing that pisses me off about LS!
    Last edited by ajmc; 4th October 2010 at 02:30 AM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    You can get samples here. But they don't seem to have VE anymore. http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=58&cat_id=1 You get 7 samples for $15

And here. http://www.beautyhabit.com/sergelutens.html You get 3 samples for $15. Its expensive, but at least you can try VE. http://www.beautyhabit.com/bhsample.html

And then there is always here. http://theperfumedcourt.com/search.a...6-360b1dcbdd16
    I wish Lutens was a bit more accessable , Creed, Frederic Malle, L'Artisan,Bond#9 and other niche companies even though exclusive have always been accessable for me but Lutens has not and the ones i have tried from them, nearly 10 of their colognes, none of them have worked for me. I am trying to give them another chance, I will be getting a few in , so I hope I can find something that will work for me.

Well, I guess this is one way that SL is making its fragrances 'exclusive'. Personally, I feel that Vetiver Oriental is more like what I was hoping Silver Iris Mist would be like; rooty but still with a palpable fragrance, so I'm really glad that I grabbed a bottle before it's removed from the export range.

That's sad news. It's a very nice sweet, creamy, take on vetiver. Very easy to like. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Well, I guess this is one way that SL is making its fragrances 'exclusive'. Personally, I feel that Vetiver Oriental is more like what I was hoping Silver Iris Mist would be like; rooty but still with a palpable fragrance, so I'm really glad that I grabbed a bottle before it's removed from the export range.
    I understand. I wish I had the same experience others have had with SL, their colognes have the same smouldering profile that I do not care for.

And Santal blanc, Chypre rouge and Douce amère will also going to the bell-jarr exclusives soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    And Santal blanc, Chypre rouge and Douce amère will also going to the bell-jarr exclusives soon.
    A big fan of SL, but I have to say that Santal Blanc is pure nausea. Vetiver Oriental, on the other hand, is pure delight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Well, seeing that so many fragrances are being retired, I just hope that they replace them with other fragrances from the Salon range. So far I only heard about Cuir Mauresque; another knows if any others are coming out?

I'm honestly quite surprised they're retiring this one. Shelving oddballs like Miel de Bois and Chypre Rouge comes as no surprise, but not only is Vetiver Oriental a great fragrance, it's quite possibly one of the smoothest, most normal, and most "accesible" of the line to folks who aren't into oddities like La Myrrhe and Iris Silver Mist.

Well, seeing that so many fragrances are being retired, I just hope that they replace them with other fragrances from the Salon range. So far I only heard about Cuir Mauresque; another knows if any others are coming out?
    MKK was the "one year limited" and it's replaced by Cuir mauresque for the next year.
    Vetiver wasn't an unlimited 50ml realease when they begin to export it (as Bois de violette, bois sépia).
    Fumerie Turque will become a permanent export now (as fleurs d'orangers, chergui...)
    Concerning Santal blanc , chypre and douce according to a SL interview it's purely for commercial reasons (like Miel de bois in 2009) and it's not his own choice. I'm surprised too because douce amère seems to be accessible but apparently not...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm honestly quite surprised they're retiring this one. Shelving oddballs like Miel de Bois and Chypre Rouge comes as no surprise, but not only is Vetiver Oriental a great fragrance, it's quite possibly one of the smoothest, most normal, and most "accesible" of the line to folks who aren't into oddities like La Myrrhe and Iris Silver Mist.
    I agree. But at the same time, the vetiver and dark chocolate combo is unique.