Code of Conduct

Thread: lock/delete

Default lock/delete

problem resolved, please lock thanks.
    Last edited by Slushiex3; 3rd March 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: old thread, randomly brought up.

Default Re: Dear Basenoters, please save me from my paranoid self

There was a study not long ago about taking a shower every day and exposing yourself to excess chloride. Do you really want to live with these kinds of fears? My suggestion is not to spray your "familly jewels" with frags and just relax.

Well, it is a bit worrisome, especially as these chemicals are often fat soluble and build up over time. I know that some of the musks used and such can be found in women's breast milk. THAT is a bit frightening, imo.

The easiest way to less this is to spray on clothing. Especially clothing that doesn't come in direct contact with your skin. Applying it to your hair would be another option, although if you don't have long hair, it would hard to spray it without it getting all over your scalp, defeating any benefits.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Do you spray on your testicles directly? LOFL please forgive me, I couldn’t resist.
    Seriously dude, those horrors are magnified beyond silly. If there was any sort of truthfulness to these study findings, the whole industry would be shut down. However, if you have noticed any shrinkage, then see if you’ve been doing some roids to beef up your muscles

Thanks for all of your input so far. But according to the articles they are absorbed through your skin and goes directly to your blood flow.

Spray on your clothes mostly.

Basenotes Plus

Paranoia can serve a purpose but the title of your thread indicates you realize you may have run off the rails ( and unless you are a pro athlete, why are you working out 3 hours - a DAY?) So, please STOP THIS excessive backlash against your perfectly harmless and enjoyable hobby right now. (Gives you big smack with wet noodle). I am sympathetic, having at times had "ridiculously paranoid" issues myself, mostly around the chemicals and substances used in personal grooming products. SLS and propylene glycol are verboten in my home because they are irritants which dry out skin; I also use a chlorine filter in the shower.
    So, find some reaonable adaptations to allow you to continue the only passionate hobby you have ever found. Spray on fabric, hair, find a more natural perfume line. Stop reading websites from self-proclained experts.

My grandma lived to 103 eating Spam, wearing Estee Lauder, using hair spray, and spraying Glade practically everytime someone walked through a room.

Sniff in good health, my friend.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I'm no scientist, so I'm in no position really to evaluate the scientific evidence for / against the claim.
    However, I do know that, despite the weekly news stories about perfume/water/meat/oxygen/whatever being bad for us, we are living, as a whole, far longer than say, 200 years ago, when the average person in the west could expect to live between 37-45 years.
    This, despite us eating foods full of pesticides, breathing polluted air, and, yes, filling our pores with perfume.
    I'm not overly worried, though if I start growing breasts on account of low testosterone, I *may* re-consider.

LOL, Been wearing fragrances since middle school, and I still have no moobs. Nor am I experiencing any other "technical difficulties".

Perhaps you should worry more about certain obsessive-compulsive behavior-patterns in your life! I'm not meaning to be sarcastic, I'm dead serious. If these kind of ubiquitous pseudo-scientific rumors unsettle you so easily, you may be just a bit too much into "fear and control." At this point, nearly every thing that smells good has been banned by IFRA so "killer perfume" would be the least of my worries. On the other hand, if your fears cannot be allayed, there's always natural perfumery (alas, behold the allergenes in natural substances...)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Honestly, those retarded scientific studies come up every now and then about pretty much everything. Have you heard about the one that claims; waking up to take a pee in the middle of the night with lights on increases your chances of getting testicular cancer? PLEASE, who the hell does these studies anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think all of those weird scientific studies are probably untrue, but few of them are, and they change their mind every 2 years about each study. Too much vitamin C is good against hiv, vitmain C speeds up hiv, whatever...dude. What I'm saying is, these are like "the end of the world" prophecies", there's a major "movement" claiming the world will end about every 5 years, the world will definitely end one day, and eventually one of these prophecies will be right, but so what?

bottom line, if you're worried, just spray on clothes, until those topic is settled once and for all. Even though I think it's one of these "weird" studies that never gets settled, because it's so insignificance even if it was true.

edit: by weird studies I probably mean pseudo-science

For those who think there is no inherent risk.. well, there used to be a class of chemicals in perfumes called nitromusks but these were banned because they were found to be neurotoxic (kills brain cells, basically).

I'm not saying wearing perfume is necessarily a high-risk activity but it's not a no-risk activity, either.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The Poison may be killing me, but it's how I want to go... Mmm, phthalates.

My family has, in the past, been - er - very concerned about mercury, uranium, pesticides, antibiotics; has been - um - very interested in raw food, colon cleansing, collation... etc., etc., etc. So I can happily say that your skin is crawling with bacteria, chickens are kept in tiny cages, most stock feed is not Alpine grass, all plastics are leeching deadly chemicals into your food and drink, and a nuclear holocaust is due any day now.

From my family I have learned a most valuable lesson: Chill out. Otherwise the paranoia is going to rob your life of all enjoyment.

Yours in health,

<spritz spritz>
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I think that you are asking on wrong board. Ofcourse that everybody here will tell you that it is bullshit. I am not scientist but just ask yourself:

Out of what resources are fragrances made? All they are natural ? Or just synthetic materials that are made to smell like real things? Are they dangerous for your health?

There is plenty of **** around us already that may but also may not be dangerous for health in LONGTERM, like artificial sweeteners in food, chickens fed with "steroids" that we eat, etc.. even that protein drink you have after workout can **** up your liver and kidney if you use it in very huge doses longterm. Yes it can, but it automatically doesn't mean that it will..

Maybe you will get skin/lungs cancer in your 60s and you will ask: It is because I exposed my skin daily to artificial fragrances? Or maybe it is because I smelled artificial smells 1ft from my nose non stop for 20 years?

Nobody knows. Just enjoy what you like but try to not overdo anything.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Can you link the articles in question? I'd like to see what they base their research on, as most of the other 'scientific' articles I've seen about how bad modern perfumes are contain pseudo-science at best.

Also keep in mind that if you throw enough money at a research company, you can link just about anything to anything else. Case in point : look at the vaccination 'debate.'
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

Then there is the proverb that goes like this:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." (Proverbs 17:22, NIV)

A beloved fragrance is very mood elevating! And being happy is good medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    A beloved fragrance is very mood elevating! And being happy is good medicine.
    Of course, crack or meth also seems to be mood elevating...
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Some of these same concerns about health crossed my mind too. I don't think it's just getting spray on your skin, it's the smelling of the fumes. But for now, I've decided to relax about it. I do notice that some frags make my nose stuff up. Health concern is one of the reasons I started the "natural vs. synthetic" thread the other day. (The administrators moved it to a different section, so I don't know how you get to have this discussion here!) But in the meantime I went to an all natural scent store, but ironically, they had a sign posted which said not to use the natural products if pregnant or if you have seizures. I thought that was kind of scary and this was from all natural essential oils, often used for healing purposes. Who knows what the petro-chemicals will do from today's frags. I do think we need to know more.

I've known many people that lived a healthy life, but lived short. I've also known people who haven't ever given a damn about health and good habits and have lived a full life with no illness and a nice quick dead, having lived more years than i expect to live.

If you believe those "studies" everything around us produces cancer or any other sickness... don't worry, Gym also kills: don't you know anyone dying of sudden death while exercising?

just relax and live your life. If you go on this paranoia you'll end up without anything to eat due to fear of chemicals and ambient radiation...

I suggest stop breathing the air too. We all die someday. Enjoy the days, however you can, while we are here on Earth.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I agree with others....you can't worry like that or you'll go nuts

I thought smoking was gonna be the death of me but I guess it's gonna be all the fragrances I wear.
    I do wear 2 different frags a day. Oh well, smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

They banned pthalates, so no worries there, unless you're into a lot of vintage frags. Otherwise, I'll echo what everyone else here has said: Relax. (And maybe have a glass of wine with dinner tonight. Legitimate studies done by actual doctors have shown that moderate drinking - 1 or 2 drinks per day - helps you live longer than not drinking at all.) The Internet breeds paranoia, spreads hateful lies, and wants to ruin your life. If perfumes were truly such a danger, all the Youth Dew-wearing grandmothers in the world would be sprouting extra fingers, and the entire industry would be shut down.

Dear basenoters, I thank you for your sincere responses. I shall relax and spray and continue to enjoy my hobby.

I apologize for the thread title, as i did not mean i'm literally paranoid of everything, just something that has been on my mind and causing me to consider stopping. I suppose all the protein shakes and bars i'm taking is probably more harmful than the perfume anyway. haha

thank you all for your time and input again.

AFAIK, Truefitt & Hill is the only house I use which uses phtalates.
    Diethyl phtalate to be exact.
    I know Creed does not use them.
    And I know many other popular houses phased phtalates out some time ago.

Perhaps we can make a comprehensive list of brands which do and do not use phtalates?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

Perhaps we can make a comprehensive list of brands which do and do not use phtalates?
    Who has this kind of information? I would welcome it since it looks like those chemicals do affect the hormone system. But it sounds like we don't even know if they are still in frags or not. Subhuman85 says a few posts above that they have been banned. Yet, this last post indicates some still use them. This is not my area of knowledge at all. Who on here actually knows about this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

Hey, phtalates been banned in US? not sure about that....maybe some houses do not use phtalates, but hey, Calvin Klein does, so does Chanel (!) And phtalates are not the only one disruptors...Btw, they did bann some sort of phtalates in EU, but clever perfume houses started to use another kind... Please see report on this link, http://www.ewg.org/files/SafeCosmetics_FragranceRpt.pdf , particularly page 11 for the hormone disruptors matter, there is none of 17 well known brands, who would not use at least one of them...Surprise surprise!

My suggestion is to use natural perfumes, but those which claim to be 100% natural, not Body shop, L´Occitane or Korres, who just pretend to be....See ingredients, if it says "fragrance", it is synthetic. If it says fragrance from essential oils,or natural fragrance, it is (hopefully) natural.

I do not like the word paranoia, but more, I do not like to be killed slowly with "trade secret" named fragrance...

Of course, we cannot choose, what we breath or eat mostly, but we can choose what we spray and spread on ourselves.

Peace

The thought has gone through my head regarding chemicals in fragrance, food etc. If it's worrying you I suggest you do some more rational research but try not to obsess or you'll drive yourself crazy with this. In the end it's what makes you happy and feel good. Do whatever you can to make your life full to the brim. Remember- 'La vita e breve, la morte vien'.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    Dear basenoters, I thank you for your sincere responses. I shall relax and spray and continue to enjoy my hobby.

I apologize for the thread title, as i did not mean i'm literally paranoid of everything, just something that has been on my mind and causing me to consider stopping. I suppose all the protein shakes and bars i'm taking is probably more harmful than the perfume anyway. haha

thank you all for your time and input again.
    just enjoy your life! look at these two people- jim fixx and keith richards. im not saying be destructive. but man if you dont find enjoyment somewhere what is your life? suffrage at best. and for what? fear of a moment you cant do anything about. wear cologne. smell good. get out of the gym and enjoy the body youve been working on all these years. are you young? go be young. are you older? go be older. but stop worrying. all the worry in the world does nothing to change the outcome of any situation. maybe you need to try green irish tweed. there, i said it.

only paranoid people go to gym 3 hours a day.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Try a therapist, seriously.

Kouros Cologne Sport has diethyl phthalate, which for some reason freaks me into not wanting to wear it.

Blog Entries

There's carbon in the air, radio waves going through our brains, god knows whats in our food and water...honestly, you cant prevent death. Medicine has delayed it for a ridiculously long time (80 is the new 65) but you WILL die some day. Enjoy it while you can, knock back a few drinks too, it might calm you down lol. There's being healthy and there's being OCD healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    Thanks for all of your input so far. But according to the articles they are absorbed through your skin and goes directly to your blood flow.
    Yes, that's a known fact, there's no denying it. So, what can you do? Change to NATURAL scents without any chemicals. You'll find them in health food stores and the like. Their longevity is shorter than that of the chemical stuff, but there are some nice scents among them, too.

Again thanks for the responses, a rather old thread that some how got dug up... Since then i've far overlooked this...