Code of Conduct

Default Scents of Introspection

I have been browsing a few descriptions of scents and interestingly the words introspective, reflection and contemplative are being used to push the emotion of the scent through to the reader.

Are there any scents that you find that purposely conjure a reflective state or is it a matter of falling into a state of introspection and noticing you are wearing a scent that may reflect on your reflection??
    'Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a fatal lack of imagination" Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Scents of Introspection

CdG Kyoto. Quiet, but lasting.

Possibly any frags based around incense would fit the type of description. Although I'm not even sure I know what that incense note smells like in a fragrance even though I've burned an uncountable amount of sticks of nag champa in my lifetime...... Not to mention burned enough white sage to blot out the sun and possibly am solely responsible for global warming.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I'm also curious how universally such purpose could work for a scent.
    Well there are of course 'proven" notes that are known to put one in a contemplative state 'by default', such as incense (esp. frankincense). For me, patchouli also works like this very often, bringing huge imagery to my mind (not memories, just pictures).
    Still, I'm not sure how this quality would apply for whole compositions. Yes most people agree that the CdG Incense series are 'contemplative' but isn't it just because they contain incense? Maybe in the end we're always discussing individual notes?

Then I think every new scent you haven't worn and smelled before can put you in a certain state of reflection and discovery.

Finally, this could work with every scent just because of the combination between scent and situation. For a certain kind of experience or state of mind a particular scent could act as a catalyst without being 'contemplative' per se, just in a certain case and combination.
    Last edited by Mar Azul; 5th October 2010 at 12:14 AM.

As I've mentioned in my early impressions of the scent, Amouage Memoir Man is very very introspective. I also find Serge Noire fairly introspective.

Some more that I find introspective in one way or another:
    Opus III
    Reflection Man
    Yatagan
    Prada Amber
    Le Roy Soleil Homme
    Dior Homme
    Narciso Rodriguez PH
    DC 1913
    Grey Flannel
    Invasion Barbare
    Passage d'Enfer
    Skarb
    Vintage Route du Vetiver
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Interesting question. How much is due to a particular note, to individual memories, and to culture?

In terms of a specific perfume, I find L'Heure Bleue introspective, and I think that's mainly due to my own mental associations. I find oud chips burnt as incense to be (not always initially pleasant, but eventually, without fail) introspective and relaxing. Frankincense smells great but I find it invigorating, not calming.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I agree about L'Heure Bleue and add Apres L'Ondee. If I wanted 'comfort' with my introspective view I'd probably consider vintage Arpege.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree about L'Heure Bleue and add Apres L'Ondee.
    + 100%

Some others that work for me:

Fou d'Absinthe & Filles en Aiguilles - quiet autumn walk vibe - it's the pine.
    The new Memoir Man - it's a brooding, quite dark scent - there is some frankincense in there.
    Dzongkha (inspired by Buddhist temples in Bhutan, no less) and it's bro Timbuktu from L'Artisan.
    Kyoto - yes, because I used to go there temple hopping a lot, but strangely not the others, particularly not Avignon or the more western European cathedral-esque incenses like Encens Flamboyant or the Armani one.

Not often mentioned (discontinued) is one called Intuition from the old Aveda series - I used to travel with this in Southeast Asia. The Aveda stuff is still good - often overlooked because of the obvious spa vibe but they are natural and include some quality compositions IMO.

And the mother of them all, Amouage Homage Attar - transcendent.

Krizia Time.

Incense Extreme by Tauer Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

CdG Avignon and Diptyque Tam Dao
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

After an exhausting day at the clinic or when Mrs. J. is yet again contrarian, I prefer Reflection Man, Cologne pour le Soir, Absolute pour le Soir, or La Nuit De L'Homme. It's a positive way to wind down.

Fou d'Absinthe
    Grey Flannel
    l'homme Sage
    Gucci PH2

and based on name (never sampled) I'm going to guess Amouage Reflection Man

There was a topic soon about rainy time fragrance and Grey Flannel, Narciso Rodriguez and He Wood were again often mentioned.

Why, why and how is violet such an alien and at the same time touching note?
    Very interesting.

Almost any frag, like it has been correctly aforementioned, may have this effect

I guess, to me, Horizon by Guy Laroche and Kenzo pour Homme are very introspective, closely associated by me with a very reflexive mood

Off-Scenter

Default Scents of Introspection

Dzongkha, Papyrus de Ciane, L'Homme Sage, Le Feu d'Issey, Mitsouko, and Santal Noble all possess mysterious, austere, or otherworldly qualities that can help put me in a contemplative mood.

chanel bois des isles

Quote Originally Posted by ++++ View Post
    Are there any scents that you find that purposely conjure a reflective state or is it a matter of falling into a state of introspection and noticing you are wearing a scent that may reflect on your reflection??
    CdG Kyoto, Monocle Scent One: Hinoki, and Knize Forest each develop a similar sense of cool woodsy detachment.

Lightly applied, Quorum reminds me of an old library, filled with leatherbound books on wood shelves.

Rose d'Homme

Many people feel that incense scent produce an introspective aura. For me, very earthy or "raw" smelling fragrances do it:

French Lover
    Yatagan
    Azzaro PH
    Route du Vetiver...many vetivers, actually.
    Parfum d'Habit
    Givenchy Gentleman and other patchoulis

There are many others, but you get the idea.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Many people feel that incense scent produce an introspective aura. For me, very earthy or "raw" smelling fragrances do it:

Yatagan...
    Route du Vetiver...many vetivers, actually....
    Givenchy Gentleman and other patchoulis

There are many others, but you get the idea.
    Agreed. Yatagan in particular drives me so far inward that I almost can't take it. It's hard for me to wear unless I'm going to be alone with my thoughts for the day or longer, and even then it causes such deep self-examination that it can often become uncomfortable for me. My response to that scent is the most uncontrollable reaction I've ever experienced to any fragrance. I love it, but...
    True cedar, vetiver, and patchouli are my favorite fragrance notes, and also the ones that drive me most to introspection. I suspect - though I haven't tried it - that hay absolute would do the same thing for me, though I'm almost afraid of the consequences of putting it on... I don't want to know that much about me.
    Something that might be worth talking about is the distinction between introspection and peace. I can feel very much at peace without really looking inward, and of course introspection may often be unsettling, as with me and Yatagan. I suspect many incense scents yield a feeling of tranquility for most wearers, and some of them do indeed inspire introspection in me, but not all.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 6th October 2010 at 03:27 AM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

For me, this would definetely be Encens et Lavande, followed by Iris Silver Mist. Whereas the latter has not only a contemplative feel for me, it tends also strongly to the melancholic side.

For me, Messe de Minuit would be near the top of the list, if not # 1.

It would be a good exercise to attach an extroversion / introversion index to fragrances.

Like, Acqua di Gio would be highly extrovert. It's supposed to work just fine with people around you but it's more unlikely that you spray it on your wrist at home and smell it for one hour,, and reflect on it.

And vice versa. There are many scents that people here buy just to sniff at home, at their own: tracing the development of top, middle and base, trying to oversee the intentions of the creator, simply bringing back memories, analyzing emotions. Scents leaning to the 'introvert' side of the scale.

Most fragrances have, of course, a certain balance between these two. If Kyoto is an introvert scent this doesn't mean that it won't be a hit when you wear it in public. But then, maybe it's the reason why you've bought it in the first place that matters.

Incense and iris based scents seem to have this quality. Iris, because it is a cold and distant note - which one often feels when feeling particularly introspective and thus it meshes with the mood so well. Incense is more of a warm and dreamy note - it allows the mind to wander in a fashion not far removed from the aerial dance of the incense smoke itself. Its long association with meditation or meditative states surely helps, too. It is what the ancient mystics and shamans used to help transport their mind to fantastical realms.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Bulgari Black is making me melancholy, which is a form of introspection, I guess. I actually consider selling it because I don't like to be in this mood (ok, I do sometimes but with Black it's just too much).
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 8th October 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Pure Oud by Killian
    Bond No. 9 Harrod's Oud
    En Sens d' Bois by Miller Harris
    Black Tourmaline
    Kyoto

these are all introspective to me.

Myrrhe ardente
    Serge Noire