Code of Conduct

Default New D'Orsay fragrance: L'Intrigante eau de parfum

We know the famous dandy namesake never really made perfume, and the company was launched in 1908 by European investors and not in 1830. (For more on the real history, read "The Perfume Handbook," and "Perfume Presentations.") The fragrances are nice, however.

The house now launches L'Intrigante (the female intriguer), a scent for a "beguiling temptress who harnesses her charms for ambitious seduction." A female version of Maupassant's character Bel Ami? (I adore Hermes' Bel Ami!)

Perhaps inspired by the courtesans who happily and profitably ensnared the hearts, bodies and wallets of many a dandy in the 19th century?

The notes are:

Top: Musk sparkle, juniper berries, myrrh, black pepper
    Middle: Camellia, red rose, carnation, orange blossom
    Base: Sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli, white musk, suede

I want to sample this!

Available in the 100 ml U.S. at MIN New York:

https://minnewyork.com/l-intrigante-by-d-orsay.html

http://www.dorsay-paris.com/
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New D'Orsay fragrance: L'Intrigante eau de parfum

The notes on that one sound amazing!

Here is an article from Scented Salamander:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...gante_201.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Here is another review of this scent:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Parf...Huet-1951.html

On me, it's a powdery vanilla with light sweetness, patchouli and just hint of leather.

Love this fragrance! No one note particularly leaps out, it's a smooth blend of floral, oriental and spicy-woody notes. A cool seductress - Sharon Stone rather than Marilyn - and more than a passing nod to Mata Hari!

In the final analysis, after many tries, I was disappointed in this scent. It was sweet but did not have much to offer beyond the "bath and spa" store prettiness. The longevity was not impressive on me.

For sweetness, I recommend the new Guerlains: La Petite Robe Noire and the second release La Petite Robe Noire Modele 2.

The LPRN 2 has a sweet orange blossom and marshmallow, with a vanilla and subtle leather.

The LPRNs have the sweetness but a complexity underneath. Good longevity as an EDP.

My bottle of L'Intrigante goes into my "collectible" novelties shelf. I think I will stick to the Parfums D'Orsay masculines, and the older, unreformulated ones, at that.

BTW, Histoires des Parfums did a scent called 1876 Mata Hari.

Camellias AFAIK don't have a smell. That's why Dumas' Marguerite Gauthier used to wear camellias.

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    Camellias AFAIK don't have a smell. That's why Dumas' Marguerite Gauthier used to wear camellias.
    Interesting point. The colour of the flower worn by a courtesan on her decolletage--How can we be delicate about this?--was an indicator of her monthly..uh..condition, so it was a sign to her collection of protectors of her availability for her services.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Interesting point. The colour of the flower worn by a courtesan on her decolletage--How can we be delicate about this?--was an indicator of her monthly..uh..condition, so it was a sign to her collection of protectors of her availability for her services.
    Interesting! I didn't know this.
    I think the smell of flowers gave her a headache and that's why she choose camellias.
    BTW the camellias I have smelled don't have an odor.

I still like to wear this scent, but it is in my archives of bottles at the back of my collection. Not one of my front-runners.

On the other hand, I am stocking up on other vintage D'Orsay scents: Chevalier, Arome Trois and Le Dandy EDT. (I know the Comte was not really a perfumer...all advertising hype.)

What is ''Musk sparkle''?
    Musk as a top note?
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

There are scented camellia's. The ones I buy for indoors have a beautiful scent.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Scented-Camellia-Garden
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com