Code of Conduct

Default Please help me find a perfume I'd like!

Hi! I'm looking for a new perfume, and have tried a few but not fallen in love with anything yet.

I normally wear Serge Lutens Douce Amere, which I love. I'd like to find something a little fresher, more sparkling though -- sometimes I don't feel the Douce Amere suits my mood/what I'm wearing. I think I'd like something floral, quite fresh but not in that 90s unisex perfume way, long lasting but close-wearing and not too heavy (I want something I can wear to work without annoying people). I like the idea of boozy notes (or at least, I like the absinthe in the D.A.), and I'm not overly keen on oriental notes. I've read a bunch of reviews here, but can't seem to find something I like -- I guess the fact I don't know the names of the different notes makes it harder. I find that a lot of the ones I've tried either smell soapy, or "perfume-y" -- I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it's the smell I think of when I think of Chanel No. 5.

Here are some of the things I have tried over the last few days:

Creed Fleurissimo -- I really liked this at first, but it has a little of that perfume-y smell, doesn't seem to last that well, and is a bit non-distinctive -- I'd like something a little different.

Caron Aimez-moi -- too sweet and cloying. I don't think I like the violet.

Penhaligon's Artemisia -- horrible. Soapy and perfumey. I had to wash it off.

Chloe Love -- a bit too sweet and artificial, although not too bad.

Creed Green Irish Tweed -- a bit too mannish for me (I know it's for men, but I thought I'd give it a go)

Hermes 24 Faubourg -- I quite liked this, but I had to have a shower shortly after trying it on so I don't really have a good idea of it. I might try it again.

I've also tried several of the other Serge Lutens, but didn't really warm to any of them.

Here are some things I used to wear, and the reasons I don't any more (I don't want anything like these):

Prada -- I find it way too heady now, it gives me a headache.

Vivienne Westwood Boudoir -- similar, also far too sweet. I think I liked my perfumes a lot louder when I was younger.

Penhaligan's Elizabethan Rose -- I used to really like rose, but now I find it too cloying and old-fashioned as a single note.

I hope you can make some good suggestions!

Default Re: Please help me find a perfume I'd like!

Welcome to BN

creed silver mountain water

Vent Vert, the one by Calice Becker.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Mon Parfum by Martine Micaleff check it out at http://www.luckyscent.com It's light floral with a touch of carmel in it. Not too sweet. Just lovely.

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. I know you said you do not like Chanel No. 5. Neither do I. (I think it's the aldehydes that are bothering you. Giving you that "perfum-y" thing you don't like. ) But I adore Eau Premiere. I find it light, fresh, and versatile. Give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that I could wear it and love it.

One more....have you tried Tommy Girl? Another good one, imo.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You may enjoy trying Hampton Sun Privet Bloom.

From Hampton Sun website:

HAMPTON SUN’S PRIVET BLOOM --
    A delicate scent that captures the purity and elegance of summer in the Hamptons, with a fresh and unique blend of lily of the valley, white hyacinth, sea spray, dune grass, blue plum and the captivating privet blossom. This is a signature fragrance from Hampton Sun.

This is very green.

Thanks! I'll go to my local department store tomorrow -- I doubt they have the Hampton Sun and the Micaleff, but I think they'll have Tommy Girl and Silver Mountain Water, and hopefully the Chanel Eau Premiere. I'll let you know how I get on.

Is Vent Vert by Calice Becker an older version of the current Balmain perfume? If so, how do I get hold of it? Is it similar to the current one?

You could try Cristalle by Chanel!Green,fresh and lasting
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Cabotine by Gres - seems very traditionally floral at first, but in fact turns out to be, after several minutes of drydown, actually, even if it sounds unusual, a smooth, discreet green-leathery frag

The ones in the department stores are likely to be the new, bad version. On ebay about 90% are the Becker version. It has that glass-grass cap.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    Thanks! I'll go to my local department store tomorrow -- I doubt they have the Hampton Sun and the Micaleff, but I think they'll have Tommy Girl and Silver Mountain Water, and hopefully the Chanel Eau Premiere. I'll let you know how I get on.

Is Vent Vert by Calice Becker an older version of the current Balmain perfume? If so, how do I get hold of it? Is it similar to the current one?
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Based on your suggestions (and what was available at the store), I tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere and Silver Mountain Water on my wrists, and Tommy Girl and Cristalle sprayed on cards.

I like the Eau Premiere more than the regular No. 5, but it still has that soapish quality. I don't think it suits me, it feels a little too polished.

I didn't enjoy the Cristalle, there was a note in it that I really disliked -- something woody, a bit like celery?

I initially liked the Silver Mountain Water, although I found it a bit citrusy. But after a while, it started having a chemically tone to it, a bit like some sort of cleaner.

I quite liked the Tommy Girl, but there was a fruity, apply smell that seemed a bit overpowering. I also tried (on card) Marc Jacobs Daisy, which had a similar fruity smell in it but more subtle -- I think I preferred the Daisy.

Still, nothing I liked enough to want to buy. Maybe I like the idea of floral scents more than the reality.

Hmm. Some possibilities, heavy on the green because for me, a light floral needs some green to avoid being giggly, and I dislike giggly:

- Chanel Cristalle EDT. A glorious sparkling green. If you can get a bottle tht's even two or three years old, I believe it will be better than the very latest, but the latest is still worth trying.
    - Balmain Ivoire. Some aldehyde fireworks, some gentle powder, some flowers, some green, a little bit of bitterness. In all, very satisfying, and all that variety is very interesting.
    - Balmain Vent Vert. The vintage is by far the best, but the new Vent Vert is a Perfectly Nice pretty green, and very inexpensive. I choose to consider it a completely different perfume.
    - Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint. Bright, sparkly, floral, minty, but grounded with a nice, more solid base.
    - Fou d'Absinthe, for a different, more medicinal, non-floral take on the absinthe. It's probably not what you're after, but it may be worth a try.
    - Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan. A gentle, quiet perfume, like Douce Amere is a gentle, quiet perfume, but with soft flowers and tea.
    - Hermessence Rose Ikebana. Rose and citrus. This may be a bit too giggly to please, but it's also worth a try.
    - Issey Miyake A Scent. A sweet green floral. It's so sweet and modern that I should dislike it, but it wins me over.
    - Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss. A new green floral with an old-fashioned mood.
    - Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere. This is not a floral - it's a gourmand, coconut and sandalwood - but its ultrafine powder note reminds me of the ultrafine powder in Douce Amere, so it might be worth a sniff.

ChickenFreak
    Last edited by ChickenFreak; 7th October 2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Fixing typos.

I second the No 5 Eau de Premier recommendation.

What about Juicy Couture ? It s a white floral with emphasis on tuberose just like 24 Faubourg (same "family")
    And from SL did u try Nuit de cellophane?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Welcome to BN

creed silver mountain water
    that and virgin island water which to me is sparkling