Code of Conduct

Default Looking for Dark,Mysterious,Sexy,Smooth.... Vanilla or Vanilla musk scent..

Any suggestions ?

Default Re: Looking for Dark,Mysterious,Sexy,Smooth.... Vanilla or Vanilla musk scent..

First of all, welcome to Basenotes.
    I'm not clued up on Vanilla perfumes as it's a note I can't stand to be honest, but my girlfriend likes Vaniglia del Madagascar by i Profumi di Firenze, which she says is a sexy warm vanilla fragrance. It's also EDP strength and long lasting.
    There's also Zenzero by the same company which adds white ginger to the vanilla, probably classed as a gourmand fragrance. Vanilla is hugely popular, so you'll certainly get some replies on here.

If you click on First in Fragrance I've asked the site which is excellent for samples and full bottles, to search for vanilla and musk. As you'll see there are loads to pick from, depending on what other notes you like in a fragrance.

Default Re: Looking for Dark,Mysterious,Sexy,Smooth.... Vanilla or Vanilla musk scent..

thanx for the suggestions man... and ya I know its weird for a guy but I love vanilla and vanilla musk as long as its no done in a way thats too feminine..so do these come off as bein feminine ? (the fragrances you suggested)

also wanted to throw in that im 24 years old so im looking for something masculine but nothing overly mature like that an older gentlemen in there 50's or above would wear,lol

Sorry, I only realised after posting that it was a man posting called Ryan (must have been having a senior moment, coming up to 40 next month so it's old age creeping in lol).. I've edited the post to give a link to a shop in Germany. If you use their search facility, type in something like vanilla, musk, then add other notes you like using the comma (it lets you add quite a few before running out of space) it will return suggestions that they sell, so it's not a bad start. Some vanilla fragrances are far sweeter than others, so I'd order a few samples from various places as you'll come across something you like sooner or later and a sample is far better than buying a full bottle blind

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbassist26 View Post
    Any suggestions ?
    Serge Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan

Diptyque's new Eau Duelle. It's not JUST vanilla, but it's one of driest, darkest, and most interesting takes on the note.

My second suggestion would be Shalimar in parfum. But specifically the parfum, not the sweeter, lighter formulations like the EdP, EdT, etc.

I could imagine myself liking these on a man: Shalimar (in parfum, indeed), L'Artisan Havana Vanille, SL Un Bois Vanille, Molinard Vanille.

Opium Eau d'Orient, Givenchy Pi - they both have reasonable amount of vanilla and, although or rather exactly because they are both to be used in extremely sparse quantities due to their strength, they do have something dark and mysterious

My picks would be:

1. Profumi del Forte, Versilia Vintage/Ambra Mediterranea - a sweet ambery woody oriental that stays on your skin for at least 6-7 hrs and makes you go nasty and touch yourself. amazing stuff.
    2. Il Profumo, Vanille Bourbon - vanilla meets woody and resinous. great stuff
    3. Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille

Avon's Starring for Men - their best frag, IMO.

YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT and EDP.

Surprised no one has mentioned Musc Ravageur yet. It fits your requirements to a T. And on a completely different, yet totally the same track, but definitely more affordable: Bulgari Black.

May I suggest Uomo? by Moschino and/or Body Kouros by YSL. Both have a very smooth subtle vanilla-ish drydown and are very mysterious, if I had to choose, Id say go with Body Kouros. Its very dark, sweet, and overall masculine! Also, I DO NOT recommend Musc Kublah Khan, it is opposite of what youre looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Musc Ravageur yet. It fits your requirements to a T. And on a completely different, yet totally the same track, but definitely more affordable: Bulgari Black.
    Musc Ravageur is one of the most offensive scents I have smelled. It smells like spoiled rotten eggnog. The vanilla is nauseating. If I smelled this on another person, I would think that person was trying to cover the stink of an open necrotic abscessing wound by spreading spoiled vanilla cake icing on top of the wound. In my opinion, Musc Ravageur is one of the worst scents ever made. Frederic Malle should be charged a pollution tax for selling MR.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakersitch View Post
    My picks would be:

1. Profumi del Forte, Versilia Vintage/Ambra Mediterranea - a sweet ambery woody oriental that stays on your skin for at least 6-7 hrs and makes you go nasty and touch yourself. amazing stuff.
    2. Il Profumo, Vanille Bourbon - vanilla meets woody and resinous. great stuff
    3. Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille
    I tried Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and the vanilla is very nice. It is strong without being overpowering. People who like tobacco will love Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

+1 on TF Tobacco Vanille here

Musc Ravageur is a terrific choice, and seems to fit your wants to a T. Bear in mind that it the "musc" component is obvious though, especially for the first 45 minutes. Also disregard what OldSchoolCharm says about the scent. He's copy/pasted that exact same hate post on multiple boards now.

Pi is a much neater, cleaner Vanilla, but it's neither dark nor mysterious. Same goes for Hanaei Mori PH. Tobacco Vanille is also terrific (one of my favorites), but it might be a little too mature/formal, depending on where you want to wear it. It's popular and maybe a little cliche, but Armani Code might not be a bad option either.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Don't listen to rumblefish. Smell Musc Ravageur for yourself. Rotten spoiled eggnog with nauseating amounts of vanilla added to cover up that smell. Remember that when you are smelling MR for the first time and trying to identify what the nauseating smell is.

@OP feel free to listen to Old School Charm, or to disregard his opinion entirely. It's your choice. But bear in mind that if you listen to and act on the negative feedback on a lot of great scents discussed on this forum, you'll miss out on most of the bests.

It's not vanilla, but I'd also recommend YSL Body Kouros to you. It is sweet, but it's also more of a dark, mysterious scent that most of what has been suggested so far. Give it a sample.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I'm a bit of a Vanilla lover myself... I'll +1 on both Pi (my first purchase!) and Tobacco Vanille, based on your budget of course. Rumblefish is right about TV though, it's not exactly the most versatile scent. I find Pi in moderation is OK for daytime as well, but I find it has a more synthetic tinge than you'll find in a lot of the higher-end suggestions here.

Another suggestion I haven't seen yet is Odin 01- Nomad. On me it jumps right to the basenotes: pure, smooth Tonka Bean, which comes through a lot like vanilla, anchored and deepened by the sandalwood and light musk. Sexy, smooth? Definitely. Dark and mysterious? A bit, maybe not as much. And longevity isn't great on me, so try it out first (of course!).

Odin! dang, didnt have the chance to try any of Odins.
    Btw...Diptyque┤s Eau Duelle is wonderful. It is really vanilla on me, even though some green notes and spices are listed...But it is somehow diptyque-ish
    Nice one, for sure.

Perry Ellis 360 white IS YOUR AWNSER!!!!! It has white musk, and vanilla in the base notes, and is classified as a sexy fragrance. It is smooth, and dark definitely, which makes it a fall wear.

Definitely try Armani code and Bulgari Black as mentioned above.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 on Bulgari Black.

Also if you can, sample Jicky by Guerlain.

But if I'm after smooth, sexy & suave - I'll go with 1725 by Histoires de Parfums. Great stuff!

Blog Entries

Another vote for Bvlgari Black.

Have you tried Chergui by Serge Lutens? It's not dark as in evil, just warm- smooth, plush vanilla and hay/tobacco bitterness for warmth. It's very much a winter comfort scent too =)

Musc Ravageur

is Encre Noir considered dark/mysterious?

I suggest Givenchy Pi , Dior Homme Intense , Rochas man , Bvlgari Black...
    Last edited by Koureas G; 14th January 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Givenchy Pi is my favorite vanilla, but if you want dark/sexy vanilla it's Bvlgari Black for sure (don't let the rubber opening turn you off... it quiets down after a minute or two).

I'm going to -1 on Pi since I think it's pretty warm and open and harmless, nothing at all dark and mysterious about it.
    I'm +1 to Bvlgari black although longevity's not great.
    +1 sort of to Ford Tobacco Vanille. Good vanilla, somewhat dark and serious.

I'll add (I don't know how nobody's mentioned this one yet) - L'Occitane Eau des Baux. It's a mix of incense and vanilla. To me it's exactly what you're looking for. It's great and cheap.

oh, also maybe Serge Lutens Gris Clair. Basically a smokey lavender with an amber/vanilla base. i'm just plugging it becuase it's a favorite of mine. i think it's along the lines of Diamondflame's Jicky suggestion but a little less complex and a little more smokey/dark.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbeans View Post
    is Encre Noir considered dark/mysterious?
    well yes (the name means black ink so that should give you an idea) but it's nothing vanilla like. It's a dark smokey vetiver (grass) fragrance. Cool, brooding and mysterious. Great frag but not what the OP is asking for.
    cool beans!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

PARFUMS DE NICOLAI, Vanille Intense
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Another vote for Bvlgari Black.
    agree, special scent and very wearable
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Blog Entries

Nothing adds darkness with Vanilla is a note of Tobacco
    Private Blend: Tobacco Vanille Tom Ford for women and men

perry ellis white or le male

sounds like we have similar tastes so you might wanna check out burberry london too...not much on the vanilla but meets your other requirements easily
    Last edited by surfingthevapors; 21st January 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbassist26 View Post
    Any suggestions ?
    Hi
    My picks for a man
    L'Artisan Havana Vanille
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

I love and so do a lot of men is Guerlain SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Alia24 View Post
    Hi
    My picks for a man
    L'Artisan Havana Vanille
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

I love and so do a lot of men is Guerlain SDV
    Welcome to Basenotes! Given that this thread is over three years old and the OP hasn't logged on since 2011, I'm going to have to guess that he's not going to see your reply.

Lol my bad, saw these threads on the bottom and did not even realized they were so old.
    Again I apologize

I suggest you try Midnight in Paris EDP. Has that benzoin, leather, tonka combination. Very dark and smooth. Great performance as well.

I prefer Salvador Dali Black Sun, very nice vanilla based cheapie fragrance.

I'm new to basenotes and I don't mind seeing this old thread being brought back up. I didn't realize it was a 2010 thread either with seeing the 2014 recent posts. LOL I've always had a soft spot for vanilla myself and am looking for something with a very strong vanilla yet still masculine scent.

Whether it's vanilla perfume on a female, vanilla body spray or body wash, or vanilla candles it's always been one of my favorite scents. My only issue is I don't want to look like a weirdo that does nothing, but sits around and smells his arms and shirt at work all day.

Quote Originally Posted by tjarksd View Post
    I'm new to basenotes and I don't mind seeing this old thread being brought back up. I didn't realize it was a 2010 thread either with seeing the 2014 recent posts. LOL I've always had a soft spot for vanilla myself and am looking for something with a very strong vanilla yet still masculine scent.
    Welcome to you tjarksd! One suggestion I would give would be Vanille Noir Du Mexique by La Maison de La Vanille. Masculine yet not overpowering.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you tjarksd! One suggestion I would give would be Vanille Noir Du Mexique by La Maison de La Vanille. Masculine yet not overpowering.
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I don't mind wearing a fragrance marketed to the female audience as long as it's not also overpowered in florals. The vanilla scent is exactly what I am looking for. A couple posters above mentioned Shalimar which surprised me. I think I'd have to go find someplace to test both before committing to buying a bottle of either. I'm 43 and divorced (twice) so unfortunately my current budget has designer (or splits) written all over it. LOL I really haven't ventured into the niche market at all yet.