Code of Conduct

Default Really Smokey Incense With A Touch Of Sweetness

I'm looking for a really smokey incense based scent with just a touch of sweetness. The sweetness should come from notes (or a combination of notes) of rose, sandalwood, (black) spice notes, amber or agarwood.

I've found such a scent in two fragrances. MoslBuddJewChristHinDao by Elternhaus and Orris by Tauer Perfumes. Sadly both are discontinued and nearly impossible to find now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm not looking for (examples below):

Incense Rose - too sweet & tangy, almost balances the incense.

Vanille 44/John Galliano Room Spray - Although really smokey with a touch of sweetness. The sweetness is from a vanilla note, which I don't want.

Sequoia/Palisander (Series 3: Red) - sweet woody incense but not really smokey, which I'm looking for. Leans more towards woody.

2 Man/Patchouli 24 - really smokey incense, birch tar scents but no sweetness.

L'air du Desert Marocain - again, not looking for a vanilla/amber base. No vanilla sweetness please.

CdG Series 3 Incense - smokey, incense, chalky, musty, no sweetness.

Suggestions, please?

Default Re: Really Smokey Incense With A Touch Of Sweetness

I'm thinking about CdG Wonderwood. It is burned inscense with the sweetness from woody notes.

Basenotes Plus

Bond No 9 Silver Factory ?. Smoky incense with an amber / resin sweetness in the base.

Not really a big fan of incense, but maybe:

YSL M7- incensy fireplace-type smell
    Gris Clair- smokey lavendar (not sure if this is for you, but it's quite nice)

Amouage Tribute or Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour Le Soir maybe ?

Memoir Man might be a fit . . . worth trying anyway.

have you sampled NarizB... ?

Halston Man Amber is exactly what you are looking for. Go try it. It has a definite smoke smell to it that turns into incense and the amber sweetness plays perfectly with it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th October 2010 at 03:51 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

How you tried Divine L'Homme Sage? For most of its evolution it's a dry incense-dominant scent supported by resinous wood and a dash of dry amber. I wouldn't say it's "really smokey" though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant. Maybe not sweet enough for you, though....
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

or Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche. It's a smokey birch-tar amber, never really gets too sweet.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Try the N.2 Damir Doma of Six Scents Series. It is a very odd perfume, that I personally do not like much, but it seems to fit your bill: incense, quite dry in the beginning, moulding into an ambery woody base. Again, it's an odd fragrance that develops very slowly and has got a sort of civet-musky hint to it. Sample it first, I have the feeling it reacts funny with different types of skin!
    Worth checking the reviews on the net
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

You can try the new Loewe 7. It has a clear incense note over a sweet slightly floral base. Good longevity and discrete projection. Not an overpowering scent, which can be OK depending on your tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant. Maybe not sweet enough for you, though....
    i was thinking the same scent, myself. I find it pretty sweet.

can be had, online, for good prices also

Givenchy Xeryus

Basenotes Plus

Have you tried SL Serge Noire? You might want to give it a proper wearing if you haven't. Woodsy incense with just a touch of sweetness in the base is exactly what it is on my skin. It wears like a veil and never gets heavy but the camphoraceous dry top may be a little harsh but hey, Basenoters don't judge by top notes or else this site would've been called Topnotes. I think this is one of the least understood Lutens - but definitely one of the best from the house.

but hey, Basenoters don't judge by top notes or else this site would've been called Topnotes
    .......lol excellent.

Basenotes Institution

I think I know the idea that you are speaking about, as I love both Orris and the reviews I've read of that Elternhaus fragrance sounds really good. I'm surprised that you don't find Kyoto (Series 3: Incense) meeting your request, as I find this very smoky with just a wonderful tiny bit of sweetness.

I agree with the recommendations for: Serge Noire, Silver Factory and Encens Flamboyant (although the Goutal has the strangest watery type note that sort of throws this one into completely different territory). I will also add these: Japon Noir by Tom Ford, Encens Home Spray by Byredo (sorry I think this one is discontinued), Messe de Minuit by Etro and Lucifer No. 1 by Damien Bash

Jubilation XXV by Amouage
    Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

***I'm really curious about that Silver Factory hmmmm?!?

It sound's to me like you've just described Ambre, by L'Occitane.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

There's Michael for Men, if you don't mind the tobacco note. And there's Eau l'Iparie by L'Occitane. The dried fruit type thing up top burns off within an hour or so, and then it might be just what you're seeking.

Jil Sander Man 2007

Montale Full Incense

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to look into Tribute, Absolue Pour Le Soir & 10 Corso Como.

It's kind of hard to describe what I'm looking for but it has to be a dominant smokey incense fragrance with a slight rose/sandalwood sweetness. Similar to Orris or MoslBuddJewChristHinDao.

I would suggest Santal Noble. The most beautiful sandalwood I'd tried.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to look into Tribute, Absolue Pour Le Soir & 10 Corso Como.

It's kind of hard to describe what I'm looking for but it has to be a dominant smokey incense fragrance with a slight rose/sandalwood sweetness. Similar to Orris or MoslBuddJewChristHinDao.
    If you're going to sample 10CC please do sample Costes EDT as well, which is structurally quite similar but, to my nose at least, far more unique and enjoyable. Also, it has quite good projection and decent staying power, especially for an Olivia Giacobetti creation.

I also +1 the Memoir Man suggestion. It might not be sweet enough for you though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Fahrenheit Absolute

Guerlain - Bois d'Arménie

and +1 on Costes, the Goutals (Ambre Fétiche, Encens Flamboyant), and Messe de Minuit
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

hmmm... really REALLY smoky? you might laugh but- bijan. first time i smelled it i thought it smelled like ashtray. very smoky insense with sweetness...

I've wanted to try that Elternhaus MoslBuddJewChristHinDao for years and Luckyscent just doesn't ever restock it. I read somewhere that Mark Buxton claimed that was his favorite incense creation and now it is impossible to find. Do you know a source?

I can heartily echo several recommendations made in this thread that I think match your quest - Jubilation XXV, Six Scents Series 2 No. 2 and Halston Man Amber are all outstanding fragrances. In fact I am still reeling from my sample of Halston Man Amber and anxiously awaiting my bottle to arrive by mail. The Halston Man Amber is an amber scent first and foremost but it is shot through with smokey sparkling woods.

The fact you want some sweetness leads me to also recommend Alexa Lixfield No. 2 - the incense is almost overshadowed by the sandalwood but it is smokey and charming wooded incense. I also like CDG Jaisalmer and surprised you didn't like that one but I don't think it has rose.

Gucci Rush for Men is my go-to for smoky incense. But it's bone dry, not sweet at all. And discontinued, too. Still, if you like smoky incense, you should check it out. It's one of my favorite fragrances for clubbing, and other wild nights on the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I've wanted to try that Elternhaus MoslBuddJewChristHinDao for years and Luckyscent just doesn't ever restock it. I read somewhere that Mark Buxton claimed that was his favorite incense creation and now it is impossible to find. Do you know a source?
    I had a sample from almost 2 years ago. It had The Perfumed Court label on it. They don't stock it anymore and it's nearly impossible to find now. It comes close to CDG 3 to give you an idea, maybe 60% but it's still really different. Better use of notes. Transparent, heavy white smoke with a rose/sandalwood sweetness. It's one of those atmospheric scents.

Thanks for the recommendations. Jubilation XXV is not smokey enough. I'm looking for the smokiness of Vetiver 46/CDG 2 Man. It has to be a incense/frankincense based scent with a small hint of warm fruity sweetness.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 6th October 2010 at 03:03 AM.

La Nuit De l'Homme by YSL

Silver Factory and Jubilation XXV

Another one to consider is Al Oudh. To me it is quite smoky - it literally smells like aoud smoke - but also sweetened with rose and spices. The smoke here has a velvety quality to it, unlike the more ashy smoke of Memoir Man or Serge Noire.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I want to say Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque but I'm afraid it may be slightly too sweet for you. The sweetness on me is more of a resinous sweetness and is very satisfying mixed with the smokey elements. I think it's worth a try though.

notes: currants, white honey, candied Turkish rose, Egyptian jasmine, smoked leather, beeswax, Balkan tobacco, Peru balsam, patchouli, tonka bean, styrax, juniper, and vanilla.
    Last edited by nthny; 6th October 2010 at 04:40 AM.

Heeley Cardinal.

I feel like I should suggest Nasomatto Black Afgano, because I'm wearing it right now. Very strong, smoky, slightly sweet incense with a ton of staying power.

You could also try Serena Franco's "Incense Noir," a rather gothic and deep incense with 'just a touch of sweetness.' I love it and layer it with Wazamba (sweeter) or Encens Flamboyant. She is the "Ava" in ava-luxe.com perfumes. There are definite smoky notes in it, but still it has more than just charred wood or ashes. If you wanted something TOTALLY ashen, try Profumum's horrible "Fumidus," which is absolutely the worst of it's type. Maybe not as bad as Secretions Magnifique though.

+1 on Bois d'Armenie

I also would recommend Aedes de Venustas and Wazamba
    Evenstar

Parfums d`Empire Wazamba
    Parfums d´Empire Aziyadé
    Eau d´Italie Baume du Doge

Sonoma Scent Studio - Ambre Noir