Code of Conduct

Default Need a new summer scent

After building up my wardrobe over the winter, I found out one problem: I have a lot of heavy sweet orientals, and not enough light summer scents. Yeah, I'll be getting a new bottle of Dior Homme soon, and I'll be getting Gaultier2 as soon as it hits Sephora, but that will be it for those.

So, I'm looking for a new summer scent... after all, I can't subside on Mugler Cologne alone for three whole months. But, there's a problem: the usual suspects just don't work on me. Live Jazz wasn't my cup of tea, Eau Sauvage doesn't last any more than 30 minutes, and Bvlgari PH was just blah.

I'm looking at all the scents listed above, and I'm open to suggestions, too. But, keep it reasonable: anything over $85 for a reasonably-sized bottle is an absolute no-no.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Need a new summer scent

I recommend checking out Trumper's GFT and Sandalwood. I think they're around $60-$65 each...

My recommendations under your price range would be:

Gendarme Green

Soprani Uomo

Kenzo L'eau Par Kenzo

M7 Fresh ( if you can find it )

However, if you wanna go over your price limit, Hermes D'Orange Verte is a great summer scent ( about $95 for a 3.3 )

From your list I would go with Eternity Summer and/or Lacoste Essential

Don't forget EBay! I found Hermes Orange Vert for about $42 (and that includes postage)...the seller has 20 up for sale so no rush.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERMES-DORANGE-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Why do you ignore M7 Fresh? To me it is the ultimate summer fragrance!

But Vetiver is a classic for a reason. go gettum tigah!

Good point Mrliberfarb...

I don't really go for the Orange Vert because of it's duration. It lasts a couple of hours on me tops (I just hate to see people paying full price for it when they can get it more than half off!). M7 Fresh can also be found on EBay...just saw a bottle yesterday. I don't know of anybody else in the States selling it but there. I voted for the Vetiver but I also love CDG's Calamus which even though discontinued, can still be found. I saw a listing on a recent thread. It's wonderful for Summer.

I happen to be a big fan of a few on your list. I chose chrome though. It is a favorite of mine and I love it in warm weather. I think that Guerlain's Vetever is really good too. Marc Jacobs and Essential are solid buys as well. I would just buy them all. Then you only have to worry about what to wear instead of what to buy!!

Blog Entries

I'm completely in love w/ Eternity Summer. I recently picked up a bottle of this & absolutely adore it. But, you really can't go wrong w/ Chrome, either.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Actually, I do have a decant of M7 Fresh... haven't tried it yet, though, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

SOTD tomorrow, perhaps?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

May I suggest:
    Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge (it is a lighter gourmand... I figure you might like this if you like A*Men).

YSL PH if you are looking for something citrusy with duration ... it is a bit dirty on the drydown but not as much as the Haute Concentration.

Armani Eau PH may be a good choice and I think they have it at Sephora's so you can test it. I really like it and totally regret trading it away. For me the downside is that it seems to go away fast, but the sandalwood is actually pretty tenacious.

I wish I could come up with something with the "cologne"/neroli top notes of TM Cologne but different and with some duration. Possibly Caswell Massey No. 6?
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I recommend checking out Trumper's GFT and Sandalwood. *I think they're around $60-$65 each...
    I also recommend these two Trumper's, especially GFT for the summer. *GFT is a very long lasting, very attractive citrus (yes, it is a citrus that is long-lasting)

I voted for Guerlain Vetiver. *It is considered a classic for*good reason.

I also strongly recommend Neroli by Czech & Speake. *It is so refreshing! *Neroli by Czech & Speake is my idea of "fresh". *No notes of melon. *No ozonic notes. *Neroli by Czech & Speake is basically a floral fragrance, since Neroli is a flower. *In aromatherapy, Neroli Essential Oil is used to chase away mental depression, and Neroli by Czech & Speake has a cheerful, upbeat aura to it. *The perfume note of neroli is generally a top note only and it usually disappears quite quickly. *But the note of neroli in Neroli by Czech & Speake lasts for a good six to seven hours on my skin (and usually, fragrances have a tendency to disappear quickly on my skin).

Overcome By Fumes

Azzaro Chrome

Therre d'Hermes (Mediterranean in a bottle)
    Acqua di Portofino (pure amalfi lemon)

Marc Jacobs with it's fake fig smell smells kinda girly. My girlfriend made that comment (she said it smells like something she would want to smell like)

Bergamotto Marino by ferre is ambergris heaven. Very unusual aquatic, in a good way! And cheap as chips a the moment. Good longevity despite being a edc too.x

Of course, Guerlain Vetiver. Although for me that's an all year round lifestyle choice!

Cool Re: Need a new summer scent

Of course, Guerlain Vetiver. Although for me that's an all year round lifestyle choice!

Six years have passed. I have a feeling that the OP has probably found his new summer scent.

Ed Hardy Love & Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Six years have passed. I have a feeling that the OP has probably found his new summer scent.
    Haha. Was just thinking the same thing myself.

For me (designer frags) the following are not the worst for summer use:

- Eau de Rochas pour homme
    - Terre d'Hermes
    - Azzaro Chrome
    - Monsieur Balmain
    - Guerlain Vetiver
    - Issey Miyake
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I cast another vote for Guerlain Vetiver but also think Burberry Brit Summer would be worth a proper test. I've given it a short test and think it might be a very good addition to anybody's summer lineup.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    six years have passed. I have a feeling that the op has probably found his new summer scent.
    lol