Code of Conduct

Default Age of a Creed fragrance (GIT), any negative effects?

I'm ready to buy Green Irish Tweed new. My only concern is age/spoilage. I've read the manufacture date is on the bottom of the box, last two digits.

When I recieve the bottle, I will check these before I open. Which year would be the oldest I should accept?

For example, if the last 2 digits of the code on the box are 07, would a Green Irish Tweed made in 2007 smell any worse or last less long than one made in 2009?

Default Re: Age of a Creed fragrance (GIT), any negative effects?

The last two digits on the back I believe relates to the batch number the ingredients of the fragrance comes from and not the date it was bottled. So for example if Creed purchased the ingredients in 2004 the fragrance could have been bottled in 2007 and the date on the back just refers to the batch it came from. Though I have noticed when you test a truly old bottle of GIT compared to the newer ones the top notes seem to have gone and you quickly come to ambergris basenote.

Every tester or bottle of GIT I've ever tested, owned or used I've made habit to look at the lot number. 2005 and 2006 batches to me were much better and richer than newer batches. Same goes for Selection Verte. It could just be that like many scents, the ingredients harmonize better after several years.

Darn, too bad I thought the year was on the OUTSIDE of the box, so I didn't have to open it.

I just don't want to open the box, find out it's way too old and be stuck with it; ultimately dissapointed and wondering "wonder if the fresher bottles are better"

Sad truth is that we can't know what it'll smell like and you won't know either unless you open it and smell it.

It's impossible to put doubts aside by reading words here.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I actually purchased a sample of it instead, just to test. I wonder if the sample vials come with a date. This way I can really see how age affects the juice.

Anyway, Time will tell. Thanks for the advice everybody, and for taking time to answer.

I have had my Creeds stored for years. I recently smelled testers on display at a local store. I detected no difference.

Basenotes Member

A couple of my creeds that are ten years old seem to have lost some top notes. However the middle and base notes definitely smell fuller and richer than recent batches so it is a worthy tradeoff for me. then again it may not be due to the age disparity at all but just due to regular batch variation.

I would be more concerned about environmental factors...temperature, large variation in temperature, exposure to light or air, etc.

Cool, dry, & dark, methinks all is well. Knowing myself though...if I was the LEAST bit unsure about the product having been stored under less than ideal conditions, I would only purchase it if it was at a significant discount...20% - 60% off. Let's face it, there is some risk, especially if the seller has a no return policy.

I think the middle number in batch code is the manufacture date. for example:
    A38B09K01
    This made in 2009.
    I have a sample of SMW and it's for 2008.
    Test it a few days ago and still smells really good.
    As other guys mentioned, you may loose the fresh top notes, but drydown and base are the same.

This is an old thread, but I'll bite. I got a huge compliment the other day from my 2003 bottle of GIT. It smells just as good as when I bought it.