Code of Conduct

Default Set Sail St Barts

I forget I have this in my collection sometimes because I don't wear it so often. I just put it on earlier, and it had enough of an influence on me to make me post a thread. A masterpiece minus its versatility, I'm surprised this stuff isn't a huge seller. It's so vibrant, invigorating, goes right up your nostrils and is just so pleasing. The epitome of tropical. If you find 'Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts' out at a discount store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx.. don't think, just buy. Blind or not, you will not be disappointed. I can't really compare it to anything else, because I haven't come across anything that smells like it. I felt the same about Set Sail South Seas for a while and how unique it is, then I came across Kenzo Power which is more or less the same thing.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 5th April 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Default Re: Set Sail St Barts

I enjoy it. I used to wear it alot more then I do now. The only issue I have with it is its longetivity.

This is one of my favourite frags, and my first purchase. I absolutely love it for those hot summer days. It is true that you only get about 4-5 hours of longevity, but it is a masterpiece in a bottle.

I liked it but the opening was too sharp, and at the time I was super sensitive, so I swapped it off.

One of the first frags I ever really, really, really fell for. Absolutely love the stuff. I haven't owned it in quite a while and since then my frag obsession was born and I've probably smelled 200 fragrances. I'll be interested to see if it's still as intriguing as it once was. Thanks for the reminder!

I don't have a problem with the smell so much as with the ocassion. Do the tequila/lime notes make this an evening scent, or can it work as an office type scent as well? I did wear this to work once, but I think is was maybe when I was working a Saturday evening shift. Personally, I think this frag would work best as a summer resort evening type thing.

I agree in every way. I found it at TJ Maxx for under $20 about a year ago. The best blind buy I have ever made. It's simply amazing.
    Last edited by Geikamir; 7th April 2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

I live in the UK and haven't been able to find Set Sail for St. Barts here but I'm thinking of ordering from an overseas website. I've heard it has a really strong alcoholic opening, could anyone confirm if this is true??
    Last edited by dan; 5th April 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    If you find 'Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts' out at a discount store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx.. don't think, just buy. Blind or not, you will not be disappointed.
    I saw it there about 2 weeks ago and bought a bottle for $20. Maybe I'll go back and pick up a bottle of the "South Seas". Great juice... but like others have said the longevity sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I saw it there about 2 weeks ago and bought a bottle for $20. Maybe I'll go back and pick up a bottle of the "South Seas". Great juice... but like others have said the longevity sucks.
    Ya it does, I wore it today and reapplied 5 times, LOL. Mostly though because I really enjoy that strong top opening, I could have gotten away with reapplying 2 or 3. South Seas lasts a bit longer if you haven't tried it, and smells like fruit loops IMO. TJ Maxx owns Marshall's and they all basically get the same shipment all over the country, so we see the same stuff for the same prices.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    I live in the UK and haven't been able to find Set Sail for St. Barts here but I'm thinking of ordering from an overseas website. I've heard it has a really strong alcoholic opening, could anyone confirm if this is true??
    I'm gonna have to disagree, it may smell like alcohol if you put your nose right up to it on your wrist the second after you spray it on, but don't most fragrances? In fact there are very very very few that smell like they have no alcohol up close, I get no alcohol up close after those first few seconds when I smell my wrist with this one. It's one of those scents that will have you smelling your wrist or arm every few seconds because it smells so appealing. But as everyone has said.. poor longevity and not very versatile but simply amazing.

The opening has a bit of underlining rum, but that doemt come through til the drydown mixed with a woody smell. The beginning smells like lime, coconut, and sea air.
    Last edited by Geikamir; 7th April 2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

I read (I think Here at Basenotes) this stuuff smells like Creed's Virgin Island Water

According to the thread I started asking for a good alternative to Creed's cologne, yes. They smell similar.
    Last edited by Geikamir; 7th April 2010 at 08:35 AM.

I'd been eyeing St. Barts for a while. Time to order a sample

I'm glad that I own this one. It is unique and a really pleasant smell, however the longevity is disappointingly inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    I wouldn't waste money on a sample of this if you have a TJ Maxx or Marshal's close by. For what it would cost for the sample and shipping you could throw in another ten bucks or so and get a big bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I'm glad that I own this one. It is unique and a really pleasant smell, however the longevity is disappointingly inadequate.
    Yeah, I'm going to make myself a 5ml decant to take with me when I wear it so I can keep applying throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JMang View Post
    Agree with HT, I doubt you'll be disappointed.. if so, hell TJ Maxx and Marshall's both accept returns if it's not noticeably used.

I'm pretty sure if you are even remotely interested in this judging from the notes, you won't be disappointed. It smells as good as if sounds. Better, actually.

Luckily for me the longevity isn't an issue. It actually does pretty well on my skin.

^^ Ya, one of the reasons I adore Tommy Bahama so much is because every fragrance I've tried from that house (which is all of them) you can notice the notes in them. There are no silly synthetic smells, no b/s, just straight forward. As opposed to Versace, Hugo, Claiborne and many others, where you don't know what it's gonna smell like.

Basically, if TB released a 5th mens fragrance, and I saw the notes provided. I would be able to purchase it blindly based on whether or not those notes appeal to me. Because I'm pretty confident in the way TB makes their frags, quality and mixtures -- good stuff. There aren't many fragrance houses that I can say this about. I'm defiantly a big fan.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 5th April 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Sur la Plage

I think it is OK, but far from a "masterpiece". But I guess we all have different interpretations of what that word means.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

indeed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I don't have a problem with the smell so much as with the ocassion. Do the tequila/lime notes make this an evening scent, or can it work as an office type scent as well? I did wear this to work once, but I think is was maybe when I was working a Saturday evening shift. Personally, I think this frag would work best as a summer resort evening type thing.
    This is my issue with this one too, Brad. I have a mini of it, and like the way it smells, but I have yet to have an occasion to wear it that I thought was appropriate. I don't like it for work/church/etc. at all. Maybe I'll take the mini with me on vacation this summer and wear it there.

Glad to hear that someone else feels my pain LOL. Another one along the same lines for me is Aramis Bermuda Tonic. I guess for me the big difference is that Bart's smells a bit more youthful and modern.

I would also have to say that buying Set Sail St. Barts is like buying that perfect Hawaian Shirt. You try it on in the store and it looks fabulous, but once you get home, it ends up buried somewhere in your closet. Who knows, your wife may even try to sell it at a yard sale for 2 bucks!

I completely disagree.

First, who buys Hawaian shirts anymore? We all know they are tacky at this point... I hope.

Second, I don't need to be at the beach to want to smell ocean front heaven. It has just as much use in everyday wear as any other cologne. There's never a wrong time to smell great.

Remember when Seinfeld's Kramer suggested a cologne that smelled like the beach? Didn't he also love to wear Hawaiian
    style shirts? Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    I completely disagree.

First, who buys Hawaian shirts anymore? We all know they are tacky at this point... I hope.

Second, I need to be at the beach to want to smell ocean front heaven. It has just as much use in everyday wear as any other cologne. There's never a wrong time to smell great.
    Perhaps you're only familiar with cheap Aloha shirts, the kind sold to tourists for 20 bucks. As in all things, there's a proper time and place for a well made Aloha shirt. Or maybe it's an age thing. As for SSSB, I reserve its use for garden parties and nights out at resorts - but not the beach. Then, I prefer to smell authentic sea air.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I never wore this, but VIW is a favorite I love for almost all occasions (spring / summer).
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

I actually wear this one when I'm home, since it doesn't last that long, and isn't versatile enough to really wear out. However.. since sillage (an hour in) is so light on this, when I do wear it out.. I don''t feel so out of the ordinary, because it stays close to the skin and becomes more of an intimate scent.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Remember when Seinfeld's Kramer suggested a cologne that smelled like the beach? Didn't he also love to wear Hawaiian
    style shirts? Something to think about.
    Wasn't he the weird one that everyone thought was quirky and funny-ish (albeit a little odd), but never someone that would actually ever get a date?

this stuff is awesome

I really liked the topnotes, very similar to Virgin Island water with a helping of papaya/passionfruit gum.
    The base I liked less, but in no way way was it bad.
    Great inexpensive summer scent.

I too enjoy it a great deal and am looking forward to the weather warming up again here in the chilly UK so I can wear it again. It's a real linen suit and casual white cotton shirt fragrance.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Wow, its definitely a blast of coconut that i didn't expect

Yeah, it's awesome

No one ever seems to mention it, but I definitely notice it.

I'm wearing this at the office today. Very work appropriate, IMHO. Clean and energetic scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm wearing this at the office today. Very work appropriate, IMHO. Clean and energetic scent.
    +1 (great scent anytime)