Code of Conduct

Thumbs down I bought it blind yesterday..

.. came home, unpacked it immediately and tested it. It disappoints me! I expected so much more.

The opening is fruity orangey, the middle is maltlike but the base is almost the same as the original A*Men.

I don't find anything special about Pure Malt at all. It's just a tamer (less bold) version of A*men that's easier on the nose (the harsh opening of A*Men is removed).

Average sillage, good longevity.

I'll return my bottle tomorrow.
    Acqua di Giņ is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Default Re: I bought it blind yesterday..

I am sorry you did not enjoy it!

My own fault
    The only gourmands (?) I liked so far are Le Māle, Body Kouros and Givenchy Play Intense.

Try it again and don't spray too much. This is nice stuff in my book. Too much is overwhelming ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Blog Entries

I had the same first reaction as you, let it grow on you. try it again a week later, you may start to like it alot. I don't think it'll ever replace A*Men for me but its an incredibly close second.

Is this how you always treat blind buys? Just return them after you have opened the box and use some of the product? Something about that just rubs me the wrong way. The risk/consequence you took by buying blind is then handed off to the store. Seems a bit unfair to me considering they actually lose profit due to your irresponsibility of not sampling it first. I can see doing this with a shirt that doesn't fit but certainly not a fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    Is this how you always treat blind buys? Just return them after you have opened the box and use some of the product? Something about that just rubs me the wrong way. The risk/consequence you took by buying blind is then handed off to the store. Seems a bit unfair to me considering they actually lose profit due to your irresponsibility of not sampling it first. I can see doing this with a shirt that doesn't fit but certainly not a fragrance.
    I find your post somewhat attacking to the OP, (with whom I have no connection)
    If the store has a policy which allows return of fragrances, why is the OP guilty of "irresponsibility" if he takes advantage of it?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

It's the first and only bottle that I've found in Belgium (no tester available). I didn't have any chance to try it before. I always want to try before I buy but it is in fact the Basenotes hype that made me purchase Pure Malt. It is ok for the store, I may replace it for another fragrance.

His post is indeed very offensive. The store has a return policy (15 days).

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    I find your post somewhat attacking to the OP, (with whom I have no connection)
    If the store has a policy which allows return of fragrances, why is the OP guilty of "irresponsibility" if he takes advantage of it?
    Attacking is a pretty strong word, maybe confrontational is a better word. This is the internet after all and hopefully people check their feelings at the keyboard. Regardless of what you think my initial intent was, it is my opinion is that it is wrong to have the store assume your risk when purchasing blind..regardless of their policy. Btw, your post to me was rather "confrontational" itself...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    His post is indeed very offensive. The store has a return policy (15 days).
    *sigh* Not to start a flame war here, but Desmond you have made some "choice" posts yourself. I would expect you to have thicker skin.
    Last edited by Captcrunch; 6th October 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Yeah if you're not into gourmands, this definitely won't be for you. I kinda wish the patchouli was toned down a bit, but ah well.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I had the same first reaction as you, let it grow on you. try it again a week later, you may start to like it alot. I don't think it'll ever replace A*Men for me but its an incredibly close second.
    Word. give it some time

The original is still better... It's much safer smelling, but it's too weak IMO and the whiskey is too dominate for my tastes. I kinda like Burberry London's booze note better, even though it is pretty linear.

I have bought Pure Malt blind as well. I have no expectations for it. I know it gets crazy love in here, but still. I can't wait to smell it. I love my malt whiskies so I'm assuming I'll like it. And hey, it'll be gone soon, so no harm in trying. I paid retail, so not like it cost me an arm.

.. came home, unpacked it immediately and tested it. It disappoints me! I expected so much more.

The opening is fruity orangey, the middle is maltlike but the base is almost the same as the original A*Men.

I don't find anything special about Pure Malt at all. It's just a tamer (less bold) version of A*men that's easier on the nose (the harsh opening of A*Men is removed).

I also believe this is not how u treat a blind buy =] . It might not love at first sniff so may be sniff a few more times
    It's an underlying basenotes rule to test a fragrance several times before u decide if u like it or not.
    I personally dont like it that much. (after several tests of course)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    I also believe this is not how u treat a blind buy =] . It might not love at first sniff so may be sniff a few more times
    It's an underlying basenotes rule to test a fragrance several times before u decide if u like it or not.
    I personally dont like it that much. (after several tests of course)
    Just out of curiosity, and this is just my opinion, and especially in the case of Pure Malt, lets say you smell it and don't like it the first time. Don't you think smelling it several times after and liking it could be the result of all the hype forcing you to like it. Hell, I've just bought it blind, I've never tested A*Men in my life, so I have absolutely no clue what to expect, I'm just excited/curious to smell this fragrance that has got it's own forum! I hope I like it, I LOVE my whisky, so maybe I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and this is just my opinion, and especially in the case of Pure Malt, lets say you smell it and don't like it the first time. Don't you think smelling it several times after and liking it could be the result of all the hype forcing you to like it. Hell, I've just bought it blind, I've never tested A*Men in my life, so I have absolutely no clue what to expect, I'm just excited/curious to smell this fragrance that has got it's own forum! I hope I like it, I LOVE my whisky, so maybe I will.
    Yes it cud. But the reason why i test it several time is to figure out whether the hype was worth it or not.
    First time i smelled it, i thought wow this is very pleasant. But after a few more times, its too pleasant to be interesting. Plus, it fades TOO FAST : (((((

Who knows , it might change.

It'd be gud to have a bottle anyway, since its gonna be gone forever ????
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

get off you high self righteous horse! retailers make TONS of profit selling at full RETAIL, they can take some returns. if they take returns, thats the store policy, and he's doing everything within the guidlines of the store's policy.
    Last edited by md1grwl; 7th October 2010 at 03:39 AM.

I don't get a fruity orange opening. I get a cherry/whiskey opening with that strange latex smell everyone talks about. When I first tried it in sample form I was thrown off by it as well as the longevity because it was really bad. But then I bought a bottle and got the same smell just WAY better longevity.

I agree it kind of grows on you though because at first I was like meh. Then after a few wears I was liking it. But now I love the stuff and find it intoxicating. So after hearing the news it may be really discontinued this time for Pure Havana I picked up a back up bottle. I want to be able to grab for this as long as I can.

Also I am wondering where you got it from. I have been hearing Fragrancenet stock really isn't that good so if you bought it there you might try someone else if you can.

Or it could be an acquired taste...

I got mine from London. As for people giving the OP a hard time for returning the bottle. Come on, he had no way of testing it, he bought it, didn't like it and returned it the next day. It's not like he used it for 14 days and returned it on the 15th. Now that would be cheap!

Im also disappointed with this fragrance b/c of all the reviews. I think its too offensive to wear and the only reason im keeping mine is because of the rave reviews from others and that it is a limited edition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    Im also disappointed with this fragrance b/c of all the reviews. I think its too offensive to wear and the only reason im keeping mine is because of the rave reviews from others and that it is a limited edition
    That's all the reason to sell your bottle later and get most, if not, all your money back. As long as this sub-forum is alive, there's still an absurd amount of hype for it. I do admit to buying into the hype several months ago and forking over $70 for a bottle in a blind buy (which I almost never do anymore). It took a few wears to get it. While it's not outstanding, it is fairly different from the other gourmand offerings, it just didn't shout out to me as "amazing". Just good.

I bought it yesterday, but I had the opposite reaction. Completely knocked on my ass. Love it to bits, can't stop smelling myself. I don't know what it is about it, but it makes me feel sexy. Don't return your bottle!! Send it over, I'll buy it!
    Ą l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

The thing I love the most right now about this perfume is the conflicting and contrasting reviews. It's just got me at the edge of my seat now. Can't wait to get hold of mine. I know I'm either going to LOVE it or HATE it. I don't do middle ground.

Same here, my bottle is somewhere between United States and Australia right now. If it love it I'll place another order, if I just like it I'll wait for Pure Havanae, if I hate it then I'll sell it for $500 in 3 years time..

Unhappy Re: I bought it blind yesterday..

Bummer, the SA didn't want to exchange my bottle of PM for another fragrance.
    She said the reason was because the packaging was opened..
    Weird, because at the end of the purchase receipt is written that you can exchange your purchases in the first 15 days after purchase.

Ah well, maybe I start liking it more after giving it another try

Weird, because at the end of the purchase receipt is written that you can exchange your purchases in the first 15 days after purchase.

o that sucks, they let u return it in Macy's and Nordstrom if you open them and use them

Told ya, them have brains too Now suck it up and try to like ur bottle of Pure Malt =]

"No Pain, No Gain"

Yeah since it has been opened department stores normally won't take it back. Don't worry though, if you don't like it after a few more wearings post it up on the marketplace. It should go pretty quickly as long as you don't try to sell it for a crazy amount, or just find a good swap deal. I am the last person to trust buying and selling online but I gave it a shot on this site and so far everyone on this site is 100% honest. Couldn't ask for a better community, it seems more about helping each other out than making a quick buck, which is awesome.

I succeeded to convince the store to replace my bottle of Pure Malt after all and I decided to replace it with...

Le Māle

Am I crazy?

So I'm guessing it didn't grow on you?

So I'm guessing it didn't grow on you?
    I have been reasonably fair towards the store, meaning that I didn't retry it. But smelling my sample card that was still laying around here, I must say that I enjoyed the drydown more and more. I like A*Men Pure Malt better than it's big brother.

Le Māle is the first fragrance that opened my eyes and really wowed me when I started sniffing colognes for the first time in a store. I never bought it before because it was too popular but I always found that not having Le Māle was a gap that needed to be filled. I hope I enjoy it without having to worry smelling like every other guy but I'll probably wear wear it mostly in freezing cold weather with only one spray to the chest.

I got into colognes this summer and pure malt was the first cologne I bought and it was a blind buy thanks to CutlassSupreme and my first experience with it was dissapointing! I was like WTF!? Anyways, 20 samples later from different colognes trying to find me a signature scent and I tried creed mi, 1 million, varvatos, dior homme intense, body kouros, a*men, musc ravageur and many more .. AND I have to say that after all of those scents and not smelling Pure Malt for a month and a half, going back to it one day just to smell it again I was like HOLY ****! I LOVED IT! I couldn't stop smelling it all night! I even sprayed it on my wrist that night just so I could smell it in my sleep lol! Anyways now I need a new bottle! but Im scared the new one will not smell like my bottle!

i prefer Le Male over Pure Malt!

i hate le male.... ugh... terrible decision imo, but it's your choice, not mine, so hey.

I bought my PM from beauty encouter two months before the re-release for a 100 bucks and it's awesome! Anyways, I want to get another bottle but I dont wan't to buy a new one (re-released) after what I have been reading about them ..so I went to the beautyencounter website and they are still selling theirs for a $100 even after the rerelease! Mine came packaged with the plastic wrapper and also had all the little books inside.. I could tell it was new. I think I'm going to find out what batch they have and if it's around the same serial numbers as the one they sent me the first time I'm gonna go for it! Mine stays smokey for a long long time I love it! I havent worn it out yet Ive just tried it at home and WOW!

Blog Entries

I have been reasonably fair towards the store, meaning that I didn't retry it. But smelling my sample card that was still laying around here, I must say that I enjoyed the drydown more and more. I like A*Men Pure Malt better than it's big brother.

Le Māle is the first fragrance that opened my eyes and really wowed me when I started sniffing colognes for the first time in a store. I never bought it before because it was too popular but I always found that not having Le Māle was a gap that needed to be filled. I hope I enjoy it without having to worry smelling like every other guy but I'll probably wear wear it mostly in freezing cold weather with only one spray to the chest.
    If I was the SA I wouldn't let you do that lol.

In all seriousness, Le Male is a good fragrance, its really fallen from grace for me though. I used to love it, but i got bored with it for whatever reason. I'm not big into powdery florals, and the sweetness of the vanilla compensated for that, but now I've found more stuff that is sweeter (1 Million really is the reason i stopped using it).

Don't worry about smelling like every other guy either. I don't think i've ever smelled it on anyone before haha

Damn, i love Pure Malt so much

My sentiments exactly. Pure Malt & Musc Ravageur are the two most overrated fragrances on basenotes. Both unimpressive.

LOL,
    The receipt clearly states the policy of the store here in the US. I would just ask for an SA that went to kindergarten.
    [QUOTE=Neurosis;1958765]If I was the SA I wouldn't let you do that lol.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    If I was the SA I wouldn't let you do that lol.
    LOL,
    The receipt clearly states the policy of the store here in the US. I would just ask for an SA that went to kindergarten

I have learned to keep the box (tried to return habit rouge) not just the receipt. It cost me a little because I didn't read the policy first .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    LOL,
    The receipt clearly states the policy of the store here in the US. I would just ask for an SA that went to kindergarten
    I meant that I'd tell you to try to let it grow on you, not that i literally wouldnt LET him haha. I'm honestly surprised he had to convince the store to let him return it...

And i just realized something ironic. I once bought a 4.2oz of Le Male and returned it for the cash...which I used to buy Pure Malt lol

same happens me too..i“ll returned the bottle immediately...i am a big a*men fan, i had them all, the coffe scent which don“t impress me too...ice men - its amazing WOW!
    to me the malt one, is totally in the background, nobody think that i have a scent on me, all my friends find this one boring and sweet. when i wear my a*men, i get compliments the whole time, most womans, and the ice men is everybodys darling here in germany... Yes, the B*men isso much better than malt...

to the coffee scent...this scent is also weak, no one says anything when i put it on... but i love coffe scents!! everytime i put on my New Haarlem - everything around me goes crazy and smell the coffee thing, but the angel coffee no comment..

A*Men classic and New Haarlem Bond9 are the best gourmands out there, the rochas smells like the axe dark temptation, hte coffee is down, only sweet musk with subtle choclate...for me a semi gourmand
    scent up your life!