Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD Wednesday 03 November 2010

Guten Morgen!

Coco Eau de Parfum by Chanel.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 03 November 2010

Good Morning all !.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 03 November 2010

TERRE D’ HERMÈS

by Jean-Claude Ellena

Eau de Toilette

H E R M È S
    P A R I S
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Dzing!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Y by YSL

Gandhara - Neil Morris
    SUBLIME!!!

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Tonka.

Notes include vanilla, frankincense, tonka bean, tangerine and lime.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens Chergui

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Guys, guys, I don't know what to do about this one. I was all set to sell my bottle because I'm not Lolita's biggest fan, but today I'm wearing a green pea coat and for some reason it just seems perfect! What to do, what to do. I don't have another perfume that will match this coat! It's actually a much brighter green than it looks on the website. Maybe Chamade, or Violetta di Bosco, or Y. But for some reason Lolita seems perfect for these pre-Christmas days. Must be the gourmand thing.

I'm not alone in worrying about things like this, am I? Surely not, on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Good morning! My SOTD is Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Tonka.

Notes include vanilla, frankincense, tonka bean, tangerine and lime.

Vanille Tonka is such a lovely scent!! I must get around to buying a full bottle of this

My scent of the day was Thierry Mulger Angel Eau de Star; for the Melbourne weather that can't make up it's mind I chose the fragrance that can't make up it's mind. Eau de Star is a funny balance between fresh and heavy
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! It's going to be a beautiful sunny day here in Minnesota.
    So nice that I feel like En Passant by Frederic Malle for my SotD, a very
    realistic white lilac.

Last edited by Kiliwia; 3rd November 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Chanel Pour Monsieur

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Angel de Thierry Mugler

Good Morning All, scent of the day is Ralph Lauren's Romance
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Furriner, how is the Dzing-for-a-week going?!
    Mel lou, keep the LL. I bet you would miss it. It has it's moments for filling a craving.
    I'm in Chanel's Coromandel today.

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post

Guys, guys, I don't know what to do about this one. I was all set to sell my bottle because I'm not Lolita's biggest fan, but today I'm wearing a green pea coat and for some reason it just seems perfect! What to do, what to do. I don't have another perfume that will match this coat! It's actually a much brighter green than it looks on the website. Maybe Chamade, or Violetta di Bosco, or Y. But for some reason Lolita seems perfect for these pre-Christmas days. Must be the gourmand thing.

I'm not alone in worrying about things like this, am I? Surely not, on Basenotes!
    That's too funny, mel-lou, and I can relate to it.

As for SotD, I'm sampling Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Brisk Caron Alpona for a morning of lazying around.

LL is one of the scents that I can't do when I have a bottle and miss it terribly when I run out of it. Keep it. Or, get rid of it keeping a small decant and sniff -- with the perspective to buy, of course! -- a different take on violet by Stephen Jones.

Hello everyone!

Ballet calls for Chanel, so I'm in Bois des Iles this morning.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

(Sorry 'bout that Wolfie - I stepped right on your heels!)
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hello all. Donna Karan Labdanum.
    DONNA

YSL's Yvresse. It is cold and rainy and Yvresse is like a big hug.

Mel_lou, keep Lolita. I can't wear it every day, but when you need it, it's irreplaceable.

Blog Entries

Hypnotic Poison Elixir from a sample.

The day before yesterday I took a shower in the evening and wore regular Hypnotic Poison for a night. Next day I woke up at 4 to fly out to DC, and it was still going relatively strong, I was even worried that it would be overwhelming for people I'll fly with -- after several hours! It did become fainter, but I was catching whiffs during the flight! what a joy -- not to be sans scent in flight!..

I needed soothing. What a night.

Caron Farnesiana it is.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as now they look upon the murder of men.”
    Leonardo Da Vinci
    “Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission--to be of service to them wherever they require it.”
    St. Francis of Assisi
    “The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.”
    Charles Darwin

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko (vintage EdT and 'new' EdT) by Guerlain

The various (re)formulations and strengths (EdC, EdT, EdP, parfum) make wearing Mitsouko always a surprise: What is it going to smell like this time!? Combining the two Eau de Toilettes, like I did today, yields a magical combination. The upfront fizzy brightness of the new juice tempers the angry green scratch of the vintage juice. Plus I smell two types of peach. The fruity porcelain-like smoothness of the new juice and the dark, pithy slightly bruised peach in the vintage.

It's cloudy outside and yet I feel like a million bucks in this scent. It never ceases to amaze me.

Mr Ichor chose my pic today - he thinks Black Oud is a funny name for a fragrance ;)
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Scent of the Evening

Parfum

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yardley English Rose today.

I don't see many mentions of this rose fragrance but it's really nice, always a mood lifter for me, and quite inexpensive ($13.97 for 125 ml; see shoplondons.com.)

Basenotes Plus

Morning!
    Orazuli by ST Dupont for me again this morning
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Ah, Furriner, I adore that graphic from the Dzing! bottle, and have wished for a long time I could get it on a cute little t-shirt.
    mikepererez23, I always feel like a milllion bucks in Mitsouko, too. It's so very special!

L'ArtisanDzongkhatoday

Wearing El Pleasures today.

Wearing Yosh Ginger Ciao.

Basenotes Plus

I'll join Twolf in Caron Alpona today. It's perfect for these cooler, sunny days.

FYI...Saint Louis is looking more & more like a possibility. Negotiations are happening as I type.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Wednesday 03 November 2010

Vaniglia del Madagascar by I Profumi de Firenze

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Mitsouko (vintage EdT and 'new' EdT) by Guerlain
    Interesting experiment Mike! I agree that Mitsouko is always a mystery... For me, it's Guerlain's Guet-Apens. It's on my personal Guerlain Top 5 list.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Furriner, how is the Dzing-for-a-week going?!
    So far so good. I have three more days! I'm enjoying it though. Was really in the mood for Dzing! before this.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Ah, Furriner, I adore that graphic from the Dzing! bottle, and have wished for a long time I could get it on a cute little t-shirt.
    We should write to L'Artisan. It would make a good tattoo, as well!

Joining Evangeline in Bois des Iles as my post-election headache comfort scent. Needed something huggy and pillowy. Remember the old saying from WW2 - "Keep Calm and Carry On". (To which I add - now everybody can play nice).
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Le Parfum de Therese (Frederic Malle)

Basenotes Plus

SotE -

And I just respritzed mine Lessa, so we're still beautifully Bois des Iles-scented twins for today!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

No worries, us wolves do not do heels!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    Surely not. Must happen to all of us at one time or another. At least save a decant for yourself if you can't un-worry yourself about the whole bottle.

Wearing Sabi today ~ Super Strength Flower PowerGlorious!

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Memoir

I didn't need a new SotD - I'm still wearing last evening's RUMBA 24 hours after application. What a fragrance!

In Quarry's review she calls this 'hot and busy'. I concur, but would add that there is one strong and cool note in its opening that lives with and dominates the heat; and, being Rumba, the opening goes on for a long time. That note smells like dessicated coconut to my unsophisticated nose. I don't much like the smell of coconut in perfume, and exotic fruits are still an aquired taste, so there is a subversive element in Rumba's first hours that both discomfort and fascinate me at the same time.

The drydown on Rumba is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. The incense, amber, and tonka become skin. They waft around with a strong presence and purpose, yet with perfect manners and dignity. I'm wearing Rumba on my left arm only, so the notes are not sitting too close to my nose, exept that I slept in it - or rather I tossed and turned in it - so my arm was crooked under my head sometimes. To wake up to that scent and still live with it 24 hours later is a fantastic experience.

Jean-Claude Ellena: a bloody genius.

(I read that Rumba is now sold under the Ted Lapidus label. Does this mean that new bottles hold reformulated juice?)
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Well, you've all convinced me to hang on to Lolita. Thanks a bunch! It's going to be hanging around my drawer for ages now. Seriously, thank you all for the advice, particularly on decants. For some reason I hadn't considered that as an option, but you're absolutely right, it may just not be a FBW perfume. Good tip! Because it really is perfect with my green coat.

Today a bunch of new samples arrived, so tonight I'm re-acquainting myself with Aqaba on my left arm, and testing Amber by Sage on my right. I'm enjoying the Amber, but I'm not sure I need it when I have L'Eau d'Ambre in my wardrobe. Amber is deeper and sexier, maybe.

Aqaba was one of the first perfume samples I ever ordered, along with Patchouli Antique. It was on my wishlist for the longest time, until I forgot how it smelled and took it off. It's more floral than I remember; my uneducated nose must have focused on the spices, but now I can smell that Egyptian jasmine, that Bulgarian rose. It starts a little soapy, but that quickly fades. And the drydown, oh my. Spicy and warm and delicious.

Needless to say, it's going back on my wishlist. Beautiful scent.

Thanks again for the LL advice!

Joining our Duc in Dolce Vita this afternoon...

Mine is edt (I think) from a decant.

Hugs to all.

Hello,

Thank you for your support yesterday! I really needed it!
    I gave the letter from the tax office to my accountant to see to it, not that this is a great relief, as he has the philosophy: "pay what they ask and have peace of mind"!...
    Let's hope this will not be the case this time!

Today I managed to break a huge bottle of wine in my (new) car!

My sotd today was Mauboussin de Mauboussin

I'm doing March's Challenge too, Furriner and I've been in Ava Luxe's Mousse de Chine since Saturday. I still like it enormously.
    I guess it was a bit of a cheat to pick this one, because it's become my default setting scent in recent months. I always have a little 5ml bottle in my handbag because it's both comforting and sensuous but doesn't have too big a sillage, so I can wear it anywhere without scaring the horses.

However, I have noticed the smells of the things around me more - we have pump dispensers of handcream next to all the sinks in our house and I've been smelling them on myself a lot more, now my nose has adjusted to the baseline of MdC. Interesting, no?

Love and light to all you good folks.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Coconut -- wow, didn't know Memoir came in a five-ft tall version! :-)
    *dora* -- hope that tax thing works out! Meanwhile, try not to get pulled over by the police before your very fragrant car gets aired out!

Put on Chantilly Houbigant vintage this morning, but I really misgauged my mood -- it's not sitting well with me at all. I need a mood elevator -- think I'll wash up and go with Iris Bleu Gris, which I find to be quite cheerful in spite of the somber name.
    (notes mentioned in Perfume-smelling things review: Iris, oakmoss, grapefruit, violet, and amber)

Hello all! I feel like I miss quite a lot when I'm away from you...

Yesterday, I floated around in a big cloud of L'Heure Bleue. Today, it's Chanel Allure.

Hope you all are having a great day...

Reading about the one week challange made me realize that I have a much stronger bond to scents that I have used on a daily basis at some period. Its been years since (- 2005, working two weeks in Cape Town, in Hermes Jardin sur le Nil and it went from likable to lovable during that experience). I wonder it I miss out on getting to know some facets by rotating even the newcomers so frequently.
    Im curious about what will be the reactions after a week, looking forward to read about it.

As for now: Im still under my duvet, lost my voice, nose is red and unfortunately dont pick up enough of anything.
    Im OD on Agent P Strip as I poured the whole sample over me in an attempt to get ambery and cozy.

Basenotes Plus

Hope you feel better soon Milou!

SotE is So Pretty by Cartier, I'd forgotten how much I love this one.

West Side by Bond No.9
    Gary

in honour of "the pink Daisy" (luvin' the name,Ducki) my SotE is............ DAISY by Marc Jacobs
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing L'Instant today. I've enjoyed it all day, but this evening it has snuggled in to my skin and is wearing like a soft hug.

Some of you remember me talking about my nephew who passed away in May ... he is featured on the TV show "Storm Chasers" and tonight's show is dedicated to him. It's been bittersweet watching him on the show this year, but I think tonight's show will be especially difficult. A soft hug from L'Instant is helping ...

Oh Shades... hugs... and what a nice dedication.

Today I was in Mitsuoko, and still coming down with a cold (wish it would get it over with already!) ... got compliments on the scent at work.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Morning!
    Orazuli by ST Dupont for me again this morning
    Love Orazuli, certainly an unsung marvel. Today I wore Ambre Gris, followed by AL Ambra Tibet, trying to get a better feel for ambers today. Not sure it helped.

Petra Ichor, you and Mr. I made me laugh today! Shades, that is sweet about the show dedicated to your nephew.

I tested two fragrances today (packed a huge bag of samples for this trip)...

Amouage Dia – Thumbs down. A formal floral aldehyde of the type I don't enjoy at all.
    Malle Bigarade Concentree – Oh my, thumbs WAY up. Spritzed on my husband, too, and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I'm doing March's Challenge too, Furriner and I've been in Ava Luxe's Mousse de Chine since Saturday. I still like it enormously.
    I guess it was a bit of a cheat to pick this one, because it's become my default setting scent in recent months. I always have a little 5ml bottle in my handbag because it's both comforting and sensuous but doesn't have too big a sillage, so I can wear it anywhere without scaring the horses.

However, I have noticed the smells of the things around me more - we have pump dispensers of handcream next to all the sinks in our house and I've been smelling them on myself a lot more, now my nose has adjusted to the baseline of MdC. Interesting, no?
    Dzing! seems to feel stronger every day, for some reason. But I understand what you are saying about noticing other smells more. Yes, interesting.

Chantilly Houbigant Vintage

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Monsieur Rochas today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quand Vient la Pluie today

(((Shadesofbleu)))
    Evenstar