Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ambery florals?

Default Re: Ambery florals?

Strip, by Agent Provocateur. It may be a discontinued ltd. ed. but can still be had on evil-bay!

Count me in on the suggestions of Obsession & Tocade!

Blog Entries

Thanks! Obsession will probably be my next sniff when l'm in my local Boots. l like the sound of Obsession Night as well, but l haven't seen it around & don't want to risk a blind buy. Has it been discontinued?
    Tocade certainly seems to get a lot of love here; what puts me off is the mention of peach. Sorry Tocade lovers, but me + peach = yeuchhh!
    Strip is a cheeky name, l'll look that one up!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

This may sound extremely obvious, but - have you tried Dior's Dune? It's ambery; it's floral, it was just so well known I didn't think of suggesting it before. You've probably already given it a try, but just thought I'd suggest it anyway; recently revisited it and really enjoyed it.

Blog Entries

Actually no l haven't tried Dune! But it's also on my "must sniff" list after reading a recent thread on it. lt sounds well worth a try, thanks Suga!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    No offense taken by me, but I get loads of iris from Oro, so much so that I think of it as an iris fragrance. I get magnolia too - it's subtle but seems to add a dewey creaminess within the warm and ambery spices.

I agree with you about the plastic snake, although I think the bottle itself is pretty cool.
    Well l went for it & got a bottle of Oro off ebay, & l really like it! l wouldn't describe it as particularly floral; l do get a hint of magnolia, but wouldn't have recognised it had l not been looking for it. What l do get is a quite boozy opening, followed by warm, golden, spiced apples, & then a gorgeous, ambery-woody base. lt has quite a light feel despite the spices, in a way reminiscent of Ambre Narguile, & l think it would work for daytime in cold weather. lt's also very comforting. l can't believe so few people seem to know about this one, & it's not even expensive! Highly recommended, people!
    The only downside, & it's a small one, is that plastic snake! The bottle itself is quite cool although l would prefer a proper lid, but the snake just looks tacky & cheap in real life. Fortunately it comes off easily!
    Thanks again for the rec Evangeline, another winner!

Blog Entries

l've tested two "ambery florals" from Marco da Venezia over the last couple of days;

Mare del Sud; there's an aquatic note in the opening, quickly followed by clean & soapy white florals, with a hint of grape. l didn't detect any amber, perhaps a little musk in the base. The sillage is good & it lasted 3-4 hours on me. For me this would make a nice spring/summer scent, & l think it might "bloom" more in warmer weather.

Mirra lndiana; the opening is a cool, fresh & crisp myrrh, followed by green jasmine, then a smooth, creamy, floral-amber-musk. The notes listed include peach & plum, but thankfully (for me) l can't detect these at all. The sillage is great, & l think this would work really well as a summer amber-floral. This just might be FB-worthy!

Thanks Craig for giving me the heads-up on these!