Code of Conduct

Default Auguste Esprit de Cuir Parfum Extrait

Anyone try this Leather scent? According to the reviews it has a really old vintage feel.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...t_de_Cuir.html

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Auguste Esprit de Cuir Parfum Extrait

I bought samples from The Perfumed Court. Maybe this would appeal to some but I don't like it. IMHO - Skanky, old , decaying leather - not like the beautiful leathers from Creed and Guerlain or Caron. Esprit de Chypre is very good .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oooo sorry Mimi but I have to disagree wholeheartedly I love EdC to death in fact I'm still wondering why the hell haven't I purchased this yet. It is very, very animalic and smells very vintage-y. It opens with civet and dirty musk and is reminiscent of vintage Bal a Versailles parfum; in fact it strongly reminds me of it. It also has a sweatiness that is often associated with Musc Koublai Khan. I would describe it as a smooth, worn leather saddle that has seen its share of riding. The leather is very realistic but not in an avante-gaurde niche realisitic sort of way like Cuir d'Iris and Cuir Ottoman. This smells of a different era. The florals are very subdued and help balance out the sheer amount of animalic elements in it. Plus it lasts a long time and has breathtaking sillage. It's also very smooth and buttery. Ok...I just convinced myself to buy it! LoL!

Mimi -- I haven't smelt Esprit de Chypre. Can you describe it? I have however smelt Esprit de Chine and I love it. It's floral chypre, but lingers on the florals more before succumbing into its mossy abyss. It is breathtaking. I wonder if smells very similar to Crepe de Chine, because that one can be found quite reasonable priced on ebay.

Basenotes Institution

Esprit de Chypre- it's also very vintage-y but smooth -mossy -woody , a little powdery .
    Scent- I know we all can't like the same things. That's OK ! I just could not abide Esprit de Cuir -something very 'dead flesh' about it.
    Still ,it's worth a shot - my opinion is only my opinion .

Mimi: I don't know why but lately I just can't stand chypres -- I know -- BLASPHEMY!!! Hahaha! I even gave my full bottle of Parure to my cousin who is a chypre whore lol! Parure seriously has chuckloads of oakmoss that I couldn't take it anymore, even after wearing it to bed two weeks in a row, hoping to rekindle the love-affair, but alas... no can do! So I have a feeling I won't like Esprit de Chypre - well at least for the time being
    And I guess I'm a sucker for decaying flesh as I love Guerilla 1's meat locker, Ferme des Yeux downright fleshy linden blossom (I think) and many others

Basenotes Institution

Oh Scent ! *LOL* Off chypres ! The horror !

I got a sample of this from Lucky Scent and for some reason it smelled very powdery on me. I didn't get much leather from it. I still did like it but not something I would wear. I think its worth sampling.

My interest is piqued! I've heard so many good and bad mentions of this one that I find it very hard to picture in my head just what it will smell like.

For some reason my skank-tolerance goes up each year. I still remember describing L'Arte di Gucci as "sweaty cheese" and Rasa Extreme as "used diapers on compost", and now I think both smell great, and not even particularly rude!

Basenotes Institution

I know this is harsh but to me, it was like an animal that had died in a leather shoe and someone popped it into a cupboard, left it for a while ..then opened the door.

Oh dear. Due to a certain incident with a mouse, a shoe, and my grandparent's summer place, I know just what that smells like!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Oh dear. Due to a certain incident with a mouse, a shoe, and my grandparent's summer place, I know just what that smells like!
    *LOL* Sorry Suga .

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    My interest is piqued! I've heard so many good and bad mentions of this one that I find it very hard to picture in my head just what it will smell like.

For some reason my skank-tolerance goes up each year. I still remember describing L'Arte di Gucci as "sweaty cheese" and Rasa Extreme as "used diapers on compost", and now I think both smell great, and not even particularly rude!
    LoL Suga! I think I may have the same problem! I think I may hold the world's record for skank tolerance! When I first smelt Jicky four years ago, I couldn't believe how rude it was...and now I bathe in it...and I still want it to be skankier!

I think you may like Esprit de Cuir a lot. I just hope it doesn't turn into soap as many do on your skin! I'm curious as hell to try Rasa Extreme, but it's not available anymore, but the original Rasa is...have you tried it?

Oh, and I purchased Ferme Tes Yeux this summer from New York...it still hurts how obscenely expensive this shit is! But it is so worth it. When I first smelt it, I was instantly reminded of vintage Femme parfum...wonderfully leathery, something dead, moss, wilting flowers, mildew and everything nice! When I told the SA about the connection, he agreed with me wholeheartedly! But then the leather took a back seat, and I was in for a ride of indoles and fleshy florals! I got mostly linden blossom and jasmine absolute, the really dirty kind. About two days ago, I was wearing Sarrasins on my arm and about ten hours into the scent, I was smelling the drydown, which had an extremely animalic musk and plenty of the residue of indoles. I find florals tend to have a very dirty drydown on my skin. Well anyways, I reminded of Ferme Tes Yeux, very! If Sarrasins does that towards the drydown on your skin, you have an idea on how Ferme Tes Yeux smells like!

Sorry for the bump - are there any recent thoughts on this one?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Banned

Absolutely stunning leather very much in the old-school style of Lubin CdR, Chanel CdR (pre-WWII formula), Guerlain CdR, Bienaime CdR, Patou Lasso, Lanvin Scandal, etc. The typical modern leather pales in comparison. Pricey but well worth it given that you're getting 40ml of potent extrait. I've had a 10ml decant from a split for the last 2 years and I've barely made a dent in it as wearing only requires a couple dabs.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Absolutely stunning leather very much in the old-school style of Lubin CdR, Chanel CdR (pre-WWII formula), Guerlain CdR, Bienaime CdR, Patou Lasso, Lanvin Scandal, etc. The typical modern leather pales in comparison. Pricey but well worth it given that you're getting 40ml of potent extrait. I've had a 10ml decant from a split for the last 2 years and I've barely made a dent in it as wearing only requires a couple dabs.
    Thanks! I'm selling some dupes I have and some that don't get worn much and wanna find something really special to replace them with. I ordered some samples from LS but they didn't have this to sample, but it sounds great.

Nothing new to add, but you've rekindled my interest. I still sniff my empty luckyscent sample vial lol

I've absolutely fallen for Esprit de Cuir, mind you it took me some time.
    My first try it smelled exactly like wet horse blankets, for a while I tested it on people as a joke, then having tried it on my brother he was standing by an open door and the breeze wafted in the most gorgeous smell of leather soft, strong, refined so good I wanted to roll in it.
    It can be an absolute monster used with careless abandon, but used with restraint I can't think of a better leather. I just wish I had the lazy money to spend on it.

It's good stuff if you wanna stand out just for the sake of standing out as in grating on everyone's nerves.
    It isn't all that skanky to me just V-E-R-Y overrated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent:2148754
    It's good stuff if you wanna stand out just for the sake of standing out as in grating on everyone's nerves.
    It isn't all that skanky to me just V-E-R-Y overrated.
    Who's nerves? How is it different from any perfume that people may or may not like? With the dab-application you'd use with a parfum like this the sillage is fairly subtle anyway. Where is it highly rated? It's hard to even find a *mention* of it anywhere, and even on a forum like this only a handful of people are aware of it. If someone doesn't like it then whatever, to each their own, but manufacturing irrelevant criticisms isn't constructive. Being vintage in style I can absolutely see why Esprit de Cuir wouldn't appeal to someone not familiar with the depth and textures of vintage leathers/orientals, but for those who appreciate grand, old school perfumery this is a great fragrance you'll appreciate.

(1st post from Android app, hope it works!)

Yeah, I was a bit confused by the idea of it being overrated too since it's rarely ever "rated" to start with. Ninexseven, I like many leather scents (Xerjoff Homme, HdP 1740, Indult Reve en Cuir, etc) but I dislike some like Creed Royal English Leather and Knize 10 - it's starting to sound like it's closer to the latter?

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Yeah, I was a bit confused by the idea of it being overrated too since it's rarely ever "rated" to start with. Ninexseven, I like many leather scents (Xerjoff Homme, HdP 1740, Indult Reve en Cuir, etc) but I dislike some like Creed Royal English Leather and Knize 10 - it's starting to sound like it's closer to the latter?
    It isn't close to REL or the Knize 10 genre. It smells very vintage. Almost like a vintage Bal a Versailles but much less powdery and ambery but with more civet and leather...lots and lots of leather. A very smooth, tanned hide sort of leather. I think the reason that it comes off so animalic and raw, is that it may contain actual civet.

I too was interested in this one at LS and was bummed to see that a sample was not an option.

A pre-emptive unilateral apology should this next comment qualify as a faux paux around these parts... but I would be interested in either hosting or participating in a split. Guidance in this regard would be appreciated.

<sigh> nevermind, see reason for edit below <sigh>
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 23rd April 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: I read the sticky post in the 'for sale' section

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Esprit de Cuir isn't really like REL or Knize Ten, though these two themselves are quite different. It's more herbal then it is floral and in this sense closer to pre-Exclusifs Chanel Cuir de Russie. I know this is an obscure reference so it's probably not all that helpful, but I find it closest to Lubin Cuir de Russie. It's too bad LS doesn't have samples available anymore - perhaps writing them and telling them you're serious about purchasing a FB but you want to sample it first would yield results? If you don't mind a small sample (as I only have a decant) you can drop me a PM and I'll send you one....

---
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 13th April 2012 at 01:19 PM.

I have small decants of all three fragrances. Cuir,Chypre and Chine.
    Cuir is warm spicy and gorgeous. They do have that old school tradional feel as if they where indeed created way back.
    DONNA

Thanks to the gracious nineXseven, I've been able to sample it over the past couple days and wore it fully today. I really found it gorgeous! It has a great development and a full top, heart, and base. Nathan Branch reviewed it long ago and found it to be a little sweet for his tastes, but I think that bit of amber sweetness in the base is what I enjoyed so much.

I ordered the last bottle Luckyscent has, and they're not going to restock it from Auguste in France, so color me pleased!
    I'll take some photos and review it more fully on my blog when it arrives.

Congrats on your purchase! Wear it in good health! It is a splendid leather.

Any updates on this? Still want to smell it, still want to buy it. Cannot buy everything, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Esprit de Cuir isn't really like REL or Knize Ten, though these two themselves are quite different. It's more herbal then it is floral and in this sense closer to pre-Exclusifs Chanel Cuir de Russie.
    Agree with you.