Code of Conduct

Default Unmeddled-with, dry Ginger?

I've been looking and looking, and I can't find a scent with a prominent ginger note that isn't weighed down by loads of other spices (Envy), powder (Brit), tobacco (Blv), etc.

I want a pure, woody, slap-in-the-face kind of ginger, along the lines of Jack Black Blue Mark, which gets the slap-in-face part right, but could use more ginger.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 7th October 2010 at 02:41 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Unmeddled-with, fresh Ginger?

I got a bottle of Ted Baker Endurance off ebay awhile back that is a wonderful ginger cologne. Unfortunately, I may have gotten extremely lucky and you may have to buy online to get this one. Check the reviews on this one!

Basenotes Institution

Origins Ginger Essence !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The Ginger Essence fragrance from Origins is intense ginger with no distractions. Upside: it's cheap! Downside: it doesn't last!
    Last edited by PaulSC; 6th October 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Mimi: Great minds think alike, eh?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

There's an intense version which does last longer. I love Ginger essence and I was seriously addicted to it for a while. ( I don't recommend wearing this to the gym whilst you workout though because I found Ginger Essence has a tendency to heat up on your skin when you get hot .......not very comfortable at that point ! )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

When you smell this, you will look no further. You will exclaim HALLELUIAHS and AMENS at the top of your lungs. I'm talking about Cartier Declaration Cologne. The one that came out this year. I promise you-it has THE strongest ginger opening you have ever smelled. Smells just like ginger, accompanied with some citrus. But ginger is the dominant note. Just bought it online today. Can't wait till it arrives!

Miller & Bertaux's Spiritus/Land has the scent of freshly-cut juicy ginger root. Exactly. Along with some incense and wood. I like it.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Ginger by Lush lives up to it's name. Also Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone; l found the ginger note very prominent in this.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks all! Let's see what TPC has...

Just to clarify a bit more, I did look through some older ginger threads before posting this one, and none of them seemed to express what I'm looking for: a dry, kind of stark ginger. No gingerbread, and minimum sweetness. I was not specific in the title, and I should have seen the inevitable posting of old ginger threads coming! I changed the name to reflect that nuance.

Ody's suggestion, Miller & Bertaux's Spiritus/Land, sounds like it might be just what I'm after, and I'll also definitely check out Origins Ginger Essence, which I've seen mentioned before.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Unmeddled-with, dry Ginger?

I fully agree w/ Mimi: Ginger Essence is the only way to go if you're looking for full-on ginger.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah - I agree Origins Ginger Essence is what you're looking for.

CDG Soda
    Isotta Fraschini - though ginger is not listed...that all i could smell.. it;s the slap you were lookign for
    Quorom Silver

Blog Entries

Jo Malone's often-forgotten Nutmeg & Ginger is just that. It's actually kind of painful when you first spray it, and it doesn't last, but it hurts so good!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??