Code of Conduct

Default How many perfumes?

An idle question, on an idle evening: have I gone mad or is my retail obsession a norm. I have 173 perfumes now and every week I buy more (the definition being bottles or decants over 10ml). Some Ive only had the chance to wear once, and that's not counting the large bag full of samples waiting for classification).

My wishlist seems endless and I need advice on how to slow down. My girlfriend has even started spraying them on the bed which is quite upsetting as she doesn't distinguish between the 10 and 100 bottles.

I'm sure some of you guys must have more. I hope so for the sake of my sanity!

Blog Entries

Default Re: How many perfumes?

lol now youve done it...

Take a little time to get better acquainted with what you already own.

For example, spray a bit of each scent on a paper blotter, labelled on the opposite side. Then go through all the scented blotters -- can you accurately identify them all? If not, pick a few that confused or surprised you and wear them over the next few weeks until you have a better memory of them. For me personally, if I can't scan the shelves of my collection and associate each bottle with a vivid memory of how its contents smell, then it's time to slow down and appreciate what I've got... (Not a rule I'd impose on you or anyone else, just my personal approach...)
    Spray it, dont say it
    WARDROBE

PaulSC gives you a great advice. Also, just buy 10ml decants from now on of anything you just like or love, save the money for full bottles of what you simply love! I have bought about 30 bottles this year, and my wishlist is endless as well.

Oh and this board is a great place to sell bottles you don't wear enough, you can always keep 5-10ml for reference. Hell if you have any niche stuff you don't want let me know (ahh I seem to have a worse case than you to be giving advice)

I have about 50 full bottles, about 10 decants and a box full of samples. Acquired over 2 years. And I can't forget when 2 of my friends were telling me cousin, who has 3 bottles of cheap fragrances if he ever gets bored with them. They're into fragrances and they're bragging they got 15 bottles each, god if they found out about my collection....I'd look like a maniac.

Well, you're a collector. A collector has a different paradigm that they are working within. If you were not a collector, then 173 bottles would be an issue. See the distinction. I am an audiophile and have more amps and pre-amps around the house than I really need - but it's all part of the joy of the hobby.

The fact you're asking the question shows that you know it's getting out of hand. There's some folks here who are going to tell it's alright to own a 1,000 bottles or 10,000 bottles, no big deal as long as it's a "hobby" or as long as you have the money. And yes, some people here have fragrances numbering in the hundreds.

I'm going to be honest with you. IMO 173 bottles of fragrance is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many! Most of them will never get finished, sit for years and then get stale. You acknowledge that you've only worn some of them ONCE. Sometimes certain hobbies can turn into an obsession and before you know it, you wasted hundreds (or in this case, maybe thousands) of dollars. Think about it. You've spent thousands of dollars on cologne that you won't even use. Even if you're rich, seems like a waste of money. Hobby or not. BTW, in some hobbies a collection lasts a lifetime. That is not so with fragrance, despite what I've read in some posts around here.

Why not keep the best 25 of those, and sell the rest? Then when you have a few that run out, go buy some more. That gives you something to keep looking forward to. Better yet, do what I do on occasion. Give some to your friends or family when you get tired of something or it's near the end of it's shelf life. It's fun to see the look on somebody's face when you give them a nice gift like that.

Around 200
    Need Help
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

If only manufacturers made perfumes in 10ml-20ml sizes for us collectors. But then again many brands will lose the sense of exclusivity that way.

There's no cure for Dorian Gray...
    Sorry, couldn't resist

The travel sizes wouldn't help much because of my frenzy/phobia it could be changed or gone... oh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    There's no cure for Dorian Gray...
    Sorry, couldn't resist

The travel sizes wouldn't help much because of my frenzy/phobia it could be changed or gone... oh boy...
    Again, if you love something just stock it up. Something you wear once a month, meh.

365 Days a Year \ 200 Fragrances = Not a lot of wearings.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Well, you're a collector. A collector has a different paradigm that they are working within. If you were not a collector, then 173 bottles would be an issue. See the distinction. I am an audiophile and have more amps and pre-amps around the house than I really need - but it's all part of the joy of the hobby.
    Nicely put.

I started looking for 'the holy grail', got the bug and soon found myself with an embarrassing number of bottles. I have made the mental shift from breathlessly chasing the next big thing to enjoying a collection of interesting scents, some of which already seem to have been reformulated or discontinued, so there you go.

To the OP I would echo the advice above about exploring and getting better acquainted with what you have - I have found a year away from some can make a huge difference to my perception and appreciation. Stop and smell the roses sort of thing
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th October 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Around 200
    Need Help
    I need help..... I spent 1000 dollars on my collection this week. Buying Amouage Reflection, Creed Silver Mountain Water, and a flacon of Creed Aventus. ohh pure malt and others also... lol

My wishlist involves future purchases of about 50-100 additional frags to what I already have in my wardrobe, so I can definitely relate

I`m quite satisfied with my 15...

Some great advice here, thanks. I do need to stop and smell the roses as they say. Great idea to see how well I actually know my own scents. I often cant place which ones my other half sprays on the bed! I was quite proud when I detected CDG1 and About Midnight though it took half hour (spraying one on the pillow and one on the bed was foul play though!)

I do try and sell some but find them hard to part with unless particularly nasty and if not, my decants are a bit too healthy (not many 10mls here). Ive even kept 50ml decants of some very average scents unfortunately. Recently Ive been madly buying MPGs in case they go under! Actually, I sold some today on Ebay but then another came through the door and there are about 5 in transit.

So a brutal spring clean is in order......Spring, thats a while away yet!

Sage advice, Naitch, (and at the risk of being too bold, probably a much needed corrective for many!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    The fact you're asking the question shows that you know it's getting out of hand. There's some folks here who are going to tell it's alright to own a 1,000 bottles or 10,000 bottles, no big deal as long as it's a "hobby" or as long as you have the money. And yes, some people here have fragrances numbering in the hundreds.

I'm going to be honest with you. IMO 173 bottles of fragrance is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many! Most of them will never get finished, sit for years and then get stale. You acknowledge that you've only worn some of them ONCE. Sometimes certain hobbies can turn into an obsession and before you know it, you wasted hundreds (or in this case, maybe thousands) of dollars. Think about it. You've spent thousands of dollars on cologne that you won't even use. Even if you're rich, seems like a waste of money. Hobby or not. BTW, in some hobbies a collection lasts a lifetime. That is not so with fragrance, despite what I've read in some posts around here.

Why not keep the best 25 of those, and sell the rest? Then when you have a few that run out, go buy some more. That gives you something to keep looking forward to. Better yet, do what I do on occasion. Give some to your friends or family when you get tired of something or it's near the end of it's shelf life. It's fun to see the look on somebody's face when you give them a nice gift like that.

I have 4-5 dozen full bottles, at again that in minis, dozens of decants, and a few hundred samples.

Do I have too much? Well, the samples I have no problem with. The decants I have some which I don't particularly like and I'd be happier to trade away. My full bottles there are quite a few I'd rather just have a decant, or would even be willing to do without.

The actual letting go is hard. I am considering putting my fragrances on a middle shelf and then as I wear them putting them on a love shelf below, an ok to part with shelf above, or back in the middle, depending on how it goes. As long as I have permission to put them back in the middle and am not forced to decide i think that might work.

There are still scents I would buy, and I don't really have trouble with buying ones I love, even know, as long as I can afford them. Are they a waste of money when I won't much wear them? Well, my friend spends $4500 a year in motorcycle insurance. He gets a lot of pleasure out of his bike. If I take pleasure in looking at and feeling the bottle in my hands and sniffing under the cap and spraying it and in knowing it is there, that has value. And I can easily get that at a fraction of the cost of owning a motorcycle. I'd rather spend money on a fragrance than on a month's data plan on an iPhone - I still have a dumb phone.

For me it isn't about too much it is about the right mix, being comfortable with how much you have and enjoying what you have without stress or guilt, and not putting yourself in financial straights over it.

You are completely sane! Join the party.

DorianGray - your OK. Just remember its a passion that you really enjoy. Your a collector, end of story. You have found a outlet and direction with a support of a community behind you.
    A person without a passion is some one with out a "soul' . Just keep going at your own chosen pace. If any one else challenges you on this passion. Tell them its less expensive then clothes or would they prefer if you had channeled your energies into gambling, fast cars or polygam relationships?

It really just comes down to how you feel about it. You feel like it's too much then it just might be. As long as it doesn't force you into financial hardship in some how or takes away from your priorities then if your ok with it.... enjoy it.

Of course I'd set aside a few for spraying on beds and make it known those are the ones for that.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

nice idea about giving them away! Acquisitional behaviour can be problematic, especially when you're getting enjoyment from owning/buying fragrance, rather than actually smelling it.

Quality over quantity for me. But I totally get needing to slow down with purchases and always wanting more. Ugh. It's endless but you're not alone here

One thing I do is that I get excited not just when I think I have found a new frag for the rotation, but also when I feel that I've totally eliminated one and can sell or swap it off with no regrets. A definite sense of relief is felt, as I don't want to become a frag hoarder. LOL.

I like simplicity, and think a 3 digit number of bottles is too much, but on the other hand, if you have been with this hobby for years now and been collecting since, then fine, no problem. But im guessing your relatively new, and i would say slow down.

I myself keep it simple, im only keeping a bottle if i really, really like it. Perfumes that i find ok or decent i will sell again, because i know i would most likely not be using that perfume again.

I am new to this hobby but I have a control, I call her my wife.
    I soon realised how this hobby could quickly get out of hand and have set myself a ceiling of 25-30 full bottles which will then only get replaced when finished. That is the theory anyhow. I went nuts duty free at Christmas which got me off to a fast start, now I am getting into sampling niche, being more selective, and planning to buy another 5 or 6 bottles over the coming months. I want to be covered for every occasion/season sufficently to not get bored yet not have so many bottles as they go to waste.
    My 'control' has no problem with me sampling to my hearts content so that should keep the cravings in check.

I've got 10-12 designer bottles and about 15 niche and designer samples at the moment. I plan to empty a lot of those before I add more and eventually try to keep my collection to about 6 or 7 bottles and possibly order a few popular niche samples every few months. I will only get a niche bottle if I absolutely love my sample of it which may be never. I don't want to have more juice in my fridge/drawer than it takes to last me until my death bed. I can understand people's passionate for it, but I don't understand owning more juice than you can ever possibly wear.

It can be a worry. I have certainly thought at times that I have to slow down or I could go out of control. It depends on how you look at it though and if you enjoy it and your kids are eating well and clothed then great. It's when the electricity gets turned off because you haven't paid the bill and you're sitting on the couch, in darkness, cuddling your 15ml decant of Gucci Nobile and rocking back and forth - well, it's then you need medical care.

If you enjoy collecting and your life is in order- go for it. There are worse things we could be doing!!!!!!!! You may end up on Hoarders one day though.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    So am I. What's more, ever since I've bought APOM Homme, I haven't used any other one. Now I think I could well be with about five bottles.

Cool Re: How many perfumes?

This is my little hobby and more on the way & I have no shame in saying it is an obsession and I have more in the bathrooms and kitchen and in my bag .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 15 mostly Creeds and 4 decants. My Golden Rule is not to go over 20. If I find something else that I like I will give up on something that I have.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post

I have to agree, if you dont put give the unused bottles a chance in the rotation then its a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    This is my little hobby and more on the way & I have no shame in saying it is an obsession and I have more in the bathrooms and kitchen and in my bag .
    What a gorgeous display!

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    I have 15 mostly Creeds and 4 decants. My Golden Rule is not to go over 20. If I find something else that I like I will give up on something that I have.
    I was trying to set it at 10 but I broke that and now have 11. Just started getting into selling and swapping, but I'm going to try really hard to have self-control like yours lol.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    As am I. Well, more like 16 or 17. But who's counting?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    365 Days a Year \ 200 Fragrances = Not a lot of wearings.
    365 Days a Year \ 200 Fragrances = 165 to go.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!