Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why doesn't Amouage offer refillable bottles?

Beautiful collection, Mo!

Quote Originally Posted by RSharma314 View Post
    OH NO, Moreda! Not in direct sunlight!
    exactly what I told him in a different thread...

hello guys

that was jsut for the picture.... they are normally in a closet.
    and the window is about 10 meters away
    but thatnx all of u for the advice

Because Amoauge managers think that it is against ther profit-making policies, besides the fact it would destroy the perceived value of their brand and thus, its brand-equity. A logical move when it comes to specialty goods - we are talking about luxury, and luxury revolves around the concept of conspicous consumption, this meaning the rationalty of scarcity management is completely ruled out.

OK, Hermes is a luxury brand selling refillable bottles, IMHO, because this improves their chances of selling specialty goods to people who cannot afford full priced goods - someone won't be able to afford Hermes' leather goods, but that person will be capable of affording a 30 ml bottle of whatever scent is sold under that brandname.

Well, it is cristal clear Amouage's owners and / or marketing managers do not want this to happen.

Sorry, pal, Amouage is only for rich people.
    Last edited by Pollux; 10th October 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Sorry, pal, Amouage is only for rich people.
    I don't agree. I'm not a rich man, even not to hungarian standards, which is way far less than that of the USA, Western-Europe, and so on. Yet, I've already tested 90 percent of their offerings, my bag is full of their samples, Memoir, Opus line, etc.. One sample might be enough for months, they are so strong. An average human surely can afford from time to time one-two samples. Of course, I can't afford my shelf to be full of hectoliters of scents. But if I really want to test, try something, I can do it, without question.
    Last edited by Sandy; 10th October 2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: omission

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    ... One sample might be enough for months, they are so strong...
    I am talking about full bottles, you are talking about samples. You are right: it is not for rich people... when it comes to samples.

Well, one scent of theirs can be had for about the price of 5 or 6 bottles of most stuff at retail. If you'd prefer the Amouage to the 6 other choices - and that is of course a big if - then it's just a matter of if you can show enough restraint and not purchase anything for the period of time it would take to save that kind of money. It's so much easier to make those small and quick purchases every month but they add up quickly. I buy maybe 2 or 3 frags a year and every once in a while one of those is an Amouage. I'm far from rich, but I value scent so highly in my life that if there is a scent I truly love, I will find a way to save and save and save and acquire it eventually. It's really a question of value. On the flipside, I understand that many people don't value scent as highly or in the same way and simply cannot imagine ever spending that much on a frag. Of course, what confuses me is that they'll gladly spend that much on fragrances in general.. so I can't understand that idea of being opposed to the principle of spending that much on a single scent. Of course, if someone doesn't love an expensive frag, it's not worth a dime to them, but if you absolutely lvoe something that's $300, and will end up spending that much on frags in 6 months anyway.. why not purchase the love instead of the "really likes"?

Lastly, it's about 18 cents a spray for an Amouage. Given that most are one spray scents that last 10+ hours, the value to cost ratio is excellent and exceeds basically any other form of entertainment/enjoyment outside of say, reading.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I am talking about full bottles, you are talking about samples. You are right: it is not for rich people... when it comes to samples.
    I'm not rich, but I have a few Amouage scents. I do agree with SoS, I prefer one good scent to several boring and useless ones. One spray of Amouage = 3 or 4 other scents spray. So you still think Amouage is expensive???

Amouage is just a bottle, not a car :-)) I will tell you that you are rich, if you have a Mercedes. But I"m not so sure if you are when you wear Amouage scents.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I'm not rich, but I have a few Amouage scents. I do agree with SoS, I prefer one good scent to several boring and useless ones. One spray of Amouage = 3 or 4 other scents spray. So you still think Amouage is expensive???

Amouage is just a bottle, not a car :-)) I will tell you that you are rich, if you have a Mercedes. But I"m not so sure if you are when you wear Amouage scents.
    I know a lot of poor people that live well beyond their means and own BMWs and Benzes. You should reconsider you standard to Rolls Royce and Bentleys which I hear come with complementary Amouage air-fresheners.

On Topic: By Kilian offers refills and they are a luxury brand. I see no reason as to why Amouage would not....Granted if they did offer them I'd most likely choose them over a fancy bottle I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post

Keep in mind that most people would understanding saving up for a Mercedes, but few would understand why someone would buy a $300 perfume.

Keep in mind that most people would understanding saving up for a Mercedes, but few would understand why someone would buy a $300 perfume.
    People are funny aren't they. After having driven my fair share of S-600 M-B's (3), I have to say one bottle of Amouage offers far more pleasure. And as plain as the men's bottles are now, a refillable one does not interest me in the slightest. Even if it were refillable, I'd pitch it. My Reflection Man lid is tarnishing and it's about 3 months old is all.
    SoS strategy is a brilliant one, btw.

Memoir Man is full bottle worthy, easier to wear, not so heavy on the oriental theme.
    The newer Amouage scents XXV and up, are more modern, really enjoyable to wear, however, I have a bottle of Gold eau de parfum that's half full, and 17 years old, I only wear it christmas eve, it's phenomenal.