Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 66
  1. #1

    Default Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I've done a bit of sifting through old threads for reactions to Apres L'Ondee in extrait form, but info is rather scttered.

    I'd love to hear what those of you have to say about the pure parfum. I've only a modern EDT sample in my possesion, and enjoy it, but it doesn't blow my socks off in the same way as lets say Vol de Nuit or Coque d'Or does. I suspect I am anosmic to true violets, (my wife loves to pluck one from the roadside and watch me inhale madly to no avail), but the EDT is really very fleeting on me.
    I have the opportunity to purchase a sealed 30ml extrait and am in two minds. Does anyone know what these go for these days? I *think* the seller's asking price is fair, but as I don't find any online right now to compare prices with, I would love it if others can weigh in as well.

    Is the EDT a far cry from the extrait?

    Thank you!

    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 7th October 2010 at 08:03 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I wish I could own one, and there's an Argentinian seller offering a near-empty bottle like the above(I estimate about 7-10ml of the original contents are left) for $100.

    Another seller offered a larger-looking bottle with about 7 ml of darker juice(no label)with a starting bid of about $100(The auction has ended)

    I've just secured my current 'holy grail' of a 3/4 full 350ml Lalique blue enamel star studded Dans la Nuit perfume bottle for $200 , so I think I'll be stopping my impulse purchases for now.

    Also paid for this baby: this morning, so I'm a bit leery of spending more~!

    I know it's OT, but how does the juice in this bottle smell btw? I read somewhere it's more of a skin scent...
    Last edited by domperrier; 7th October 2010 at 08:30 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Well, I followed an ebay auction lately... well, I could tell you what price the 8ml in gold bottle and box or whatever (I am only interested in fragrances) went for, if you wanted to know.
    Eventually, I have two tiny samples of the extrait coming my way very soon.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,765

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I don't like the EdT at all. Apres L'Ondee is a little like Jicky in that I don't warm to its lighter formulations, not even a little. I get zilch on longevity too.

    The extrait... Well, the extrait is something special for me. It's a rich yet very subtle and cool-smelling creature, still quite delicate, but long-lasting at the same time. The main note is somewhere in between violet and iris to my nose; it's anisic, faintly mossy, kind of creamy-yet-ethereal in a way that's quite special.

    Even in extrait form is underpowered for my tastes, but it makes up for it with nuance and content. I had a small sample that I miss terribly, but what is perfume if not there to be worn and enjoyed? It's long gone now, and there are too many other loves to justify the price.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post



    I know it's OT, but how does the juice in this bottle smell btw? I read somewhere it's more of a skin scent...
    Would you be so kind as to create a new thread about Rue de la Paix, dom? It is off topic, though I do appreciate your initial response re: Apres L'Ondee pricing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Well, I followed an ebay auction lately... well, I could tell you what price the 8ml in gold bottle and box or whatever (I am only interested in fragrances) went for, if you wanted to know.
    Eventually, I have two tiny samples of the extrait coming my way very soon.
    That would be helpful, thank you Larimar... I would be pleased to know.
    I'd love also to hear your reactions to the extrait sample when you've had the chance to sniff it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I don't like the EdT at all. Apres L'Ondee is a little like Jicky in that I don't warm to its lighter formulations, not even a little. I get zilch on longevity too.

    The extrait... Well, the extrait is something special for me. It's a rich yet very subtle and cool-smelling creature, still quite delicate, but long-lasting at the same time. The main note is somewhere in between violet and iris to my nose; it's anisic, faintly mossy, kind of creamy-yet-ethereal in a way that's quite special.

    Even in extrait form is underpowered for my tastes, but it makes up for it with nuance and content. I had a small sample that I miss terribly, but what is perfume if not there to be worn and enjoyed? It's long gone now, and there are too many other loves to justify the price.
    Well this sounds promising then! I know how modern Guerlain EDT formulations sometimes dont even come close to some of the extraits, and this is the kind of response i was hoping to hear. I do enjoy the EDT, but if the extrait has more nuance and content, then I imagine I would enjoy it a lot. How was its persistence on your skin sugarandaraja?

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,765

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Well this sounds promising then! I know how modern Guerlain EDT formulations sometimes dont even come close to some of the extraits, and this is the kind of response i was hoping to hear. I do enjoy the EDT, but if the extrait has more nuance and content, then I imagine I would enjoy it a lot. How was its persistence on your skin sugarandaraja?
    Definitely a your-skin-may vary thing, but I'd say six to eight hours is "standard" longevity on me, and L'Apres comes in at about five to six. There's a certain Guerlain thickness to the scent compared with the EdT; a step closer to L'Heure Bleu, though still quite different from that fragrance.

    If you're familiar with a certain "feel" that all-natural perfumes have in terms of sillage, I'd say that L'Apres has that kind of strength, though more transparency than most natural perfumes usually have.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Mmmm! I think I see where you're heading with the 'step in the direction of L'heure Bleue' there... and I like it.
    All natural perfumes do have a distinctive feel about them, also so this gives me a good idea. Thanks for your insights, A!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    To my nose the extrait is less "iris root" than the edt (before 2008 reformulation with black and gold box...not the insipid new!), more sweet (the gerlinade is more present to my nose). And the longevity is better on me with the edt.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    the longevity is better on me with the edt.
    This fascinates me! The EDT lasts no more than 2-3 hours on my skin.

  11. #11
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,010
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    It's hard to determine value when there is so little of an item on the market. I was pretty shocked at TPC's prices-- $19.99 for 1/4 ml?! $4499 for 2 oz. left in a 4 oz. bottle?! (Granted they are always expensive, but still....)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    This fascinates me! The EDT lasts no more than 2-3 hours on my skin.
    I think the point (on my skin) is that it does last a long time, but gets very quiet after 2 hours maximum.

  13. #13
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,010
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Okay, an auction on eBay that ended recently had 8 ml going for £510 -- pretty fancy bottle though:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/GUERLAIN-APRES-L...#ht_786wt_1141

  14. #14

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Thanks 30 Roses ... that auction is one that Larimar pointed out to me via PM a little earlier. 510 GBP is a colossal result! I don't know if I would have paid that much for it.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,134

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I sort of fell for Apres l'Ondee a couple of years ago, when all of a sudden I instantly 'got' the heliotrope note. Someone had gifted Ray and I some Almond scented luxurious bath gel, I swear this stuff smelled magical. It was soon after I went quickly through the entire bottle of bath gel that I received a sample of Apres l'Ondee and immediately I got the almond/heliotrope/iris/violet accord that everyone raves about. It really felt special, simply because it rides that thin line between a very delicate scent and a rich, French fragrance.

    Another nice surprise with this one is that Ray absolutely fell in love with this, and I am pretty sure now he wears it more than I do. Ever so often he'll come out of the bedroom after a shower and I'll get a whiff of this in the hallway. It always sort of grips me in it's spell - it's such a bittersweet smell, with just that wonderful bit of melancholic texture that certain Guerlains achieve. My favorite time to wear it is after a shower, at home, in my pajamas. Wearing it to the office or out of the house sort of feels like I'm wearing big, pink, fuzzy slippers.

    I was able to test the parfum once, about a year ago. The first time I wore it, I didn't apply enough and I could hardly smell anything - it is VERY subtle. But then I put it away and wore it later on and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I must agree with Mon Petit's comments:
    'the extrait is less "iris root" than the edt (before 2008 reformulation with black and gold box...not the insipid new!), more sweet (the gerlinade is more present to my nose). And the longevity is better on me with the edt...'
    I have mentioned before, that IMO, I think Guerlain took the idea of Apres l'Ondee in extrait and transformed it into Quand Vient la Pluie, with some added gourmand accents. Have you smelled QVLP Dimitri? If you have and you like it, then I think the Apres l'Ondee extrait would be something you'd enjoy.

    I've never seen a bottle, that I've watched on Ebay, go for less than $500.

    My personal dream is to acquire a bottle of vintage Apres l'Ondee Eau de Toilette. According to some posts I've read here on BN, it wasn't quite as heliotrope prominent and it was much more iris/violet prominent. But honestly, I never see bottles available for sale.
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Hermès

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,439

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I agree with Mike - the price on Ebay for Apres L'ondee extrait is high - higher than most Guerlain extraits that go to auction ( save the ridiculous amounts wanted for large sealed Shalimar extrait bottles ! )

    I think it will be a good investment getting a sealed 30 ml extrait bottle, Dimitri. The bottle will only increase in value .If it were me, I would go for it. Also taking into consideration the ( totally unneccesarily) exorbitant price on The Perfumed Court- the ladies' there are selling Apres L'Ondee extrait for thousands.

    I love Apres L'Ondee even only in the EDT - I've not tried the extrait - I'm afraid I would cry if I did ! (I love the bottle too - it's one of my fave Guerlain vintage bottles. )
    The other bottle which I lem desperately is the Guerlain Bouquet de Faunes bottle - that one is the other great investment if it is completely pristine.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have mentioned before, that IMO, I think Guerlain took the idea of Apres l'Ondee in extrait and transformed it into Quand Vient la Pluie, with some added gourmand accents. Have you smelled QVLP Dimitri? If you have and you like it, then I think the Apres l'Ondee extrait would be something you'd enjoy.

    I've never seen a bottle, that I've watched on Ebay, go for less than $500.
    Well this is possibly the deal breaker Mike. I've not sampled Quand Vient la Pluie, but it has always intrigued me (helloooo lemming!), and anything with an iris ganache type accord will more often than not win me over. I don't think I mind greatly that the extrait is not a sillage monster... it might just be one of those guilty pleasures one can indulge in purely and selfishly for oneself. I LOVE that pink fluffy slippers analogy Mike
    Thank you for pricing info too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

    (I love the bottle too - it's one of my fave Guerlain vintage bottles. )

    The other bottle which I lem desperately is the Guerlain Bouquet de Faunes bottle - that one is the other great investment if it is completely pristine.
    Here here! One can never have too many Louis XVI flacons in one's collection!

    Speaking of the Bouquet de Faunes presentation Mimi, did you see the current jaw-dropping offering on evilbay?

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,439

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Dimitri- now you got me crying ! Oh My God- lemming ,lemming- I want ! It's beautiful !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Apres l'Ondee is my HG of all HGs. I have a vial of parfum that was a gift from a BN friend...I've worn it only a few times and it is... beyond divine. Just a more intense version of the edt and it lasts all night on me, til morning. I've only ever worn it to very special parties so I can't comment on daytime wearing lol.

    If this was readily available I would buy a bottle right away. In my humble opinion, to my nose it is just like the present edt only more intense and longer lasting. A perfect intensifying job as well, each note sparkles just a little louder and longer which only makes me happier. If I could only wear one scent for the rest of my life it would be Apres l'Ondee.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

  20. #20

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I own the older edt in the 93mls size. It is quite powdery on me. Infact I was once asked what I was wearing as it smelt like old fashioned talc. But they did say it was lovely.
    The parfum I also own and for me it is really close to L'Heure Bleu in parfum. It could be the intense heliotrope note. They are like twins but not idential twins.
    Like Mochoir de Monsieur and Jicky are like brother and sister. You just know they are family members.

    I the parfum I own is the same as the one recently on ebay.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  21. #21

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Sorry that I can't add anything to your pricing question, Dimi. I had the EdT (actually sold it to Mike P) and it really wore more like an after shave rather than an EdT or even a EdC. The parfum extrait must be heavenly though.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    3-4 years ago, this bottle would go for 150 Euros on eBay (I followed each of the ALO auctions eagerly back then). Today, I guess I would accept the double price, but not more. The much discussed 8 ml Parfum UK auction is to be dismissed, something went utterly wrong there, and it's not representative for anything.

    The EdT is palely cold like a purple-blue pastel. The Parfum version had more intense flower notes and is therefore less cold. To be honest, I use the Parfum maybe once a year, and I could also suspect that you, Dimi, are not thinking to buy it for everyday use. You have after all proven to be more of a bottle collector. So if the price is fair, I suggest you just buy this rare little sucker - otherwise you'll regret it. (And you know it, you just want us to say yes.)

  23. #23
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    9,891
    Blog Entries
    100

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    I would kill for some of that extrait. I actually have some but it is slightly off. A sealed bottle would be highly desirable!!!!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Thanks for your comments Kevin and kumquat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    ...each note sparkles just a little louder and longer which only makes me happier. If I could only wear one scent for the rest of my life it would be Apres l'Ondee.
    A glowing review indeed Jane!

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The parfum I also own and for me it is really close to L'Heure Bleu in parfum. It could be the intense heliotrope note. They are like twins but not idential twins.
    Like Mochoir de Monsieur and Jicky are like brother and sister. You just know they are family members.
    Sold!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    ...I could also suspect that you, Dimi, are not thinking to buy it for everyday use. You have after all proven to be more of a bottle collector.
    More a collector of perfume presentations Mr. G with an appreciation of both the juice and the packaging. There are other members who are 'bottle collectors' per sey. I think I would certainly love to try the extrait, but perhaps best I sample before breaking the seal on this potential purchase.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    So if the price is fair, I suggest you just buy this rare little sucker - otherwise you'll regret it. (And you know it, you just want us to say yes.)
    Why of course! You lot are the best enablers a man could ask for! And for around 100 USD, I can hardly refuse now, can I?

  25. #25
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,010
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    ...And for around 100 USD, I can hardly refuse now, can I?
    It would be practically insane not to buy it, if that's all it is!

  26. #26
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,765

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    No kidding. If you don't, Dmitri, I will!

  27. #27
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,439

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Go for it, Dimitri - can't pass it up , sweets !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    Well, it is precisely 80 euros, which works out to about $111 USD. A steal for that volume of *any* Guerlain extrait.
    However, I was very interested to read members insights about this scent I know rather little about. Thank you for your comments, everyone!

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,134

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    You lucky dog.
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Hermès

  30. #30
    Moderator
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,765

    Default Re: Guerlain Apres L'Ondee extrait

    If you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Similar Threads

  1. Worth of Après L'Ondée extrait?
    By Merlino in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 5th June 2009, 05:33 PM
  2. Apres L'ondee
    By N_Tesla in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 16th December 2008, 10:30 PM
  3. apres l'ondee
    By rtamara41 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 27th May 2008, 05:27 AM
  4. Apres L'Ondee
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000