Code of Conduct

Default A professorial yet alluring signature scent for a 30yr old man

Hello Basenotes!

I just discovered this forum a couple of days ago and I've been kind of addicted to reading it since then. I had no idea that there was such a vast community of people into scents. It's not something that ever crossed my mind. My biggest interaction with scents has been at the Duty Free shops in airports and I rarely bought anything.

Anyway, I've decided that I should wear a cologne. And not a $5 one. I know I should test lots of things out, but I'd really like some pointers as to WHAT I should be testing.. there are so many thousands of brands out there it's quite confusing.

Anyway, I'm a 30 year old male who lectures at a university. I want something that gives off a sense of maturity and/or power (I'm the boss in the classroom ), yet is also somewhat attractive or alluring. I don't want something that will fill the entire room, but something that a person I'm talking to one on one will notice.

I'm British, and in the country I live in (Korea) there is a bit of a stereotype of all British people being gentlemen. I want to live up to this stereotype haha. I want to smell kind of distinguished but certainly not grandfatherly.

I'd prefer something that ISN'T mainstream. Here in Korea not many people wear cologne, but when I go back to the UK or visit the US etc. I don't want to be wearing the same cologne as everybody (anybody?) else.

From reading this forum, a couple of ideas I had were Burberry Brit or perhaps Bois Du Portugal. Burberry scents might be overplayed in the UK though I imagine.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give! I'll hit up the department stores soon and try and test some of the recommendations out, if they stock them.

Thanks very much in advance!

Cliff Notes:

Something "gentlemanly" for a 30 year old professor to wear day and night forever. (Or until Spring, anyway.)

Default Re: A professorial yet alluring signature scent for a 30yr old man

Why don't you try one of the Armanis like Code or Attitude Extreme, rather safe but still alluring, Bvlgari Black even.

Chanel pour Monsieur- very professional, suitable for all-round wear, even alluring, might however have the disadvantage of being a designer scent and thus usual to be commonplace

Opus 1870 by Penhaligons- a very "British" niche fragrance, uncommon and anything but generic yet also alluring due to some smooth and sensual spicy-woody notes

Burberry London seems like a good fit.

As a 29 year old scientist, I would recommend my favorite for you...YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. This stuff exudes class, sexiness, and mature virility. I would love to wear it back to campus to teach in... I would say it is fairly uncommon in the general population and as such will be a very good unique signature. That is what I use it as, and I hope to continue doing that for a long time to come.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Wearing cologne in a conservative workplace, such as in a university, is a tricky affair. I am a college teacher and have to take care that I don't project an image that I am out to pick up girls. These days, I have been wearing Guerlain Veritver in warm weather and Lalique Encre Noire in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by dikliu View Post
    Wearing cologne in a conservative workplace, such as in a university, is a tricky affair. I am a college teacher and have to take care that I don't project an image that I am out to pick up girls. These days, I have been wearing Guerlain Veritver in warm weather and Lalique Encre Noire in cold weather.
    Really? IMO colleges are generally among the most liberal of workplaces. I agree with the rest of your comments and I like your warm- and cool-weather choices. I wear anything and everything from my wardrobe, I'm just careful to apply the snappier ones lightly.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Really? IMO colleges are generally among the most liberal of workplaces. I agree with the rest of your comments and I like your warm- and cool-weather choices. I wear anything and everything from my wardrobe, I'm just careful to apply the snappier ones lightly.
    I don't mean politically conservative. A college is a liberal environment until a student who gets a bad grade sue the professor for sexual harassment. Known for wearing a sexy attire will not help the professor's cause. Thus is the academic climate these days.
    Last edited by dikliu; 7th October 2010 at 09:53 PM.

I second Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Classic barbershop vibe (U.S. at least), very clean and soapy, with a nice woody drydown.
    I would also suggest Guerlain Heritage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Aramis, Dior Eau Sauvage; all are classic men's scents, and project equal amounts of sophistication and class without stepping into either the "cradle robbing" categories of aquatics and gourmands, or the off-putting (to some) category of powerhouse frags.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

third for Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    As a 29 year old scientist, I would recommend my favorite for you...YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. This stuff exudes class, sexiness, and mature virility. I would love to wear it back to campus to teach in... I would say it is fairly uncommon in the general population and as such will be a very good unique signature. That is what I use it as, and I hope to continue doing that for a long time to come.
    +1 YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The new Oscar de la Renta -Pour Lui might be a good choice for you. It's not that powerful as it used to be in the 80's.Another option might be Zara-Vetiver Cologne , a smooth woody vetiver frag .

You can not go wrong with Savile Row by Richard James. It is a very sophisticated perfume and for me it is the epitome of "British Elegance".
    Read the comments here in basenotes: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122845.html
    and read my comments in here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261...-Richard-James
    For the notes: http://www.perfumeshop.com/5050651192574.html
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 11th October 2010 at 07:50 AM.

All of these suggestions are fine. I'd also give Bel Ami by Hermes a try.

Burberry London

Encre Noir
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Blog Entries

La Nuit de l`Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Hyeon Een View Post

I'm British, and in the country I live in (Korea) there is a bit of a stereotype of all British people being gentlemen. I want to live up to this stereotype haha. I want to smell kind of distinguished but certainly not grandfatherly.

I'd prefer something that ISN'T mainstream. Here in Korea not many people wear cologne, but when I go back to the UK or visit the US etc. I don't want to be wearing the same cologne as everybody (anybody?) else.

This: http://www.trumpers.com/product_deta...ctID=111547190

Very likely, you've answered your own question: Bois du Portugal. Given the climate of Korea in winter, Burberry London would serve well too. Gee, do I sound like an echo?

It might be wise to ask around about the appropriateness of a scented professor as cultural codes can vary significantly.

The One Gentleman <- Rofl =]

Point Blank

MPG - santal noble. Disregard the horrible bottle - it is THE professor scent above all.

I second Rive Gauche by YSL.

Santal Noble mention, now that's a surprise! That's a high quality masterpiece for you. A little expensive and you will probably have to order it online though. I don't see how it is the professor scent, but it's just great.

Point Blank

Because it smells like library, coffee and tweed!

Rive Gauche, on the other hand, smells good and traditional but quite anti-intellectual to me.

Riverside Drive by Bond #9

As much as I love Acqua Di Gio, Its not very powerful, and dries down fairly quickly. I suggest Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier. Its one of my favorites and lasts all day!

Hillaire

Proper: Penhaligon's English Fern, Endymion, or Douro

Niche/classic: Acqua di Biella's Ca' Luna, Cashmere Twill, or Baraja

Spicy and edgy: Lubin's Itasca or Idole

Commanding and alluring: Amouage's Silver Cologne, Lyric Man or Ciel Man

Modern and fashionable: Tom Ford's Italian Cypress

Boho (Do you teach in liberal arts?): Serge Lutens' Amber Sultan or Chergui

I will second English Fern and Savile Row, and will add Floris 89. I think these all would fit you situation.

i am a university professor in a creative field, and i wear encre noire or sycomore beneath my black turtleneck. works well.

mpg santal noble is another good recommendation, classy--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

My opinion doesn't hold any weight but wouldn't jumping from no scent to niche scents be a bit of a stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyeon Een View Post

Can I just remind people of these criteria ?

Big Respect to you all, however, suggestions such as:

Armani Code
    Burberry London
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Guerlain Veritver (sic)
    Aramis
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    La Nuit de l`Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Don't seem to fit the bill: - not mainstream; gentlemanly, distinguished.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 4th November 2010 at 07:59 AM.