Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Creed IS worth the money

So, I've had a history with Creed's Himalaya. The first sample I smelled was excellent. The next three were trash. I've smelled some fake bottles. I've smelled some real, but old bottles.

But the other day I went into a boutique and smelled a real bottle of Himalaya that was made in 2008. And let me say, it is a world of difference between aged or not-properly-taken-care-of Creeds and good condition ones. I never thought of Creed as being as good as some other niche houses, like Bond or Czech&Speake. But this certainly changed my mind. I bought the bottle on the spot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that before you declare that the Creed empire is built upon hype, try a good condition, recently made bottle. It certainly changed my mind about this house.

Default Re: Creed IS worth the money

I've had varying degrees of success with this house. So overall I'd say yes, it IS worth the money... sometimes

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Depends on the Creed frags one is talking about, but I cannot deny the fact that, at least in my very personal and highly subjective opinion, REL, BDP and Original Vetiver are only some of the creed frags (and my list is far from complete) which I can truly perceive- at least, from a highly individual viewpoint- as masterpieces. So yes, at least part of the frags by the house of Creed may truly be worth the money.

I think they're all very well made, but some of them just don't fit my tastes. I enjoy ones like Himalaya, MI, and SMW. I got MI and plan on getting SMW. Himalaya is the only one I don't enjoy enough to get a full bottle of

I REALLY like Creed frags, but they do not (and never have) smelt like £75-100+ worth to me. Every christmas and birthday for the last 4 years I've said I'm gonna buy a bottle of something (one of the waters probably), but then I think that for the same price or not much more I can get 2 niche or other high end frags and I just chicken out. That being the case, my collection is STILL Creedless.

Dependent

Even the ones I own and love are not worth full retail to me.

I usually buy small decants of the Creeds I like. I never go through a whole bottle anyway with all the scents I have.

Creed is NOT worth the retail price.
    It's worth what discounters charge though. (~%50 off retail)

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    My thoughts exactly - and some would have to be discounted way more than that for me to consider purchasing them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th January 2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Have to agree but I really liked Windsor even though it was very pricey.

I agree as I don't like paying retail for any fragrance.

Definitely. I'd never pay retail price for a bottle of Creed. Grey market all the way, baby!

Still a Creed Virgin here...I'll most likely just sample creeds until I'll have enough vials to reach the moon hehe

It's also worth noting that the scent can slightly change by the batch of ingredients that year (as temperature and climate can have an affect on the crop, such as amount of rain affecting the scent of lavender), for better or worse. Mind you, this won't make a HUGE difference, but it can still have some impact.
    Last edited by JonDorn; 17th January 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Sorry, double post (don't know how to delete the comment, just edit it).
    Last edited by JonDorn; 17th January 2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: double post

Haven`t tried all of them, but i think at least B-D-P is worth the money..

Creed seems to be the worst brand in history for producing consistent results with their perfumes, then. Don't give me that crap about natural ingredients: if you really can't consistently source good materials, and give your customers consistent results, you shouldn't make a perfume out of it.

Also, if you can't make a proper formula for a scent with relatively stable ingredients, you're a bad perfumer. Creed is the only brand where people care so much about 'fresh juice'.

It also seems that Creed's the only brand that people report this kind of deviances on. Even compared to other 'we're natural peeps' brands like L'Occitane. But then again, people often go in neurotic mode talking about Creed.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 17th January 2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The price of anything is subjective.If you are willing to pay $175.00 for a bottle of Creed's fragrance from Nieman Marcus it is worth it. If you not willing to pay that amount, It's not worth it. The same hold's true for any fragrance.Or for that matter anything that is in the market place.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

If you think a Creed fragrance smells great, then yes, it certainly is worth the money.
    Sales thread here

It has been said: A house that cannot produce ONE scent all the same (e.g. Himalaya) sure is sh**. Don't wanna try ten bottles of Himalaya to get one "right".

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    It has been said: A house that cannot produce ONE scent all the same (e.g. Himalaya) sure is sh**. Don't wanna try ten bottles of Himalaya to get one "right".
    True. It makes you wonder if the juice you spent $175-575 on smells like the real deal...

If a juice doesn't pass muster, or has the potential to embarass such an 'esteemed' house, why the hell do they release it to be made available to unsuspecting customers? Do they think we're fools? But I probably won't mind it so much if they vary their retail pricing according to the variances in the quality of individual batch...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th January 2010 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    True. It makes you wonder if the juice you spent $175-575 smells like the real deal...

If a juice doesn't pass muster, or has the potential to embarass such an 'esteemed' house, why the hell do they release it to be made available to unsuspecting customers? Do they think we're fools? But I probably won't mind it so much if they vary their retail pricing according to the variances in the quality of individual batch...
    As a matter of fact the famous Forrest-Gump-quote went like that: "Life is like a bottle of Creed juice. You never know what you get." The sentence was changed, of course, later.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

As a matter of fact the famous Forrest-Gump-quote went like that: "Life is like a bottle of Creed juice. You never know what you get." The sentence was changed, of course, later.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    LOL.

And why? Because Creed threatened to unscent Hollywood.

Could it be that using more natural ingredient vs more synthetic one make the fragrances more prone to go bad under heavy temperature or things like this?

Engineering a fragrance with a majority of synthetic molecule maybe make it easier (give you more freedom) to create a stable solution who can resist bad treatment, like being stock in bad condition like a room too hot.

There's probably pro's and con's for using more natural ingredient.

Some people get some fake creed too, it doesn't help.

Keep in mind its just a supposition I don't know the scientific property of the natural ingredient vs the synthetic one. But it could be kinda like dry wood vs humid wood, both are wood but the dry wood can combust more easily with is energy of activation who is less than the humid wood.

Like I said just supposition

Quote Originally Posted by _FP_ View Post
    Could it be that using more natural ingredient vs more synthetic one make the fragrances more prone to go bad under heavy temperature or things like this?

Engineering a fragrance with a majority of synthetic molecule maybe make it easier (give you more freedom) to create a stable solution who can resist bad treatment, like being stock in bad condition like a room too hot.

There's probably pro's and con's for using more natural ingredient.

Some people get some fake creed too, it doesn't help.

Keep in mind its just a supposition I don't know the scientific property of the natural ingredient vs the synthetic one. But it could be kinda like dry wood vs humid wood, both are wood but the dry wood can combust more easily with is energy of activation who is less than the humid wood.

Like I said just supposition
    This might be of interest - Korres, Nancy Boy and other beauty/body product companies also conform to this.

http://blog.creedboutique.com/ask-cr...eed-millesime/
    -

Still, even CREED must use a synthetic ingredient or two. Why?

Creating a 100% natural CREED perfume is preferable, of course. But a natural composition would not survive the months-long journey that begins with hand bottling at the CREED workshop in France, sea shipping to the United States, clearance at the U.S. port and transportation by ground to CREED’s authorized retailers coast to coast — Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, select Saks Fifth Avenue stores, select Nordstrom’s, select Bloomingdale’s and the new CREED boutique at 794 Madison Avenue in New York — if there were not a synthetic to prevent natural ingredients from spoiling along the way in the wide temperature variations that occur from, say, Boston to San Diego.
    Bollocks. 'A synthetic ingredient or two'. Ha!

We're not talking about milk here, we're talking about perfume. What marketing midget without any knowledge of organic chemistry came up with this piece?

And why the heck is a 100% natural perfume preferable, 'of course'? Synthetics broaden the perfumer's palette. Without synthetics, a classic like Chanel No. 5 would never have existed in this form.

Creed, like any other company that exists for profits, is telling their customers what they like to hear. Creed is just really good at it.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 17th January 2010 at 08:55 PM.

they're worth it to me, as well.

eric b

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

And why the heck is a 100% natural perfume preferable, 'of course'? Synthetics broaden the perfumer's palette. Without synthetics, a classic like Chanel No. 5 would never have existed in this form.
    Blame it on the ban-hammer happy European Union regulatory group. Ban this, ban that, keep the legal team happy.
    Last edited by zztopp; 17th January 2010 at 09:49 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Bollocks. 'A synthetic ingredient or two'. Ha!

We're not talking about milk here, we're talking about perfume. What marketing midget without any knowledge of organic chemistry came up with this piece?

Creed, like any other company that exists for profits, is telling their customers what they like to hear. Creed is just really good at it.
    Quite!

I have actually smelt several 100% natural frags from a couple of independent makers and I have to say that none of them were all that earth shattering - they were nice, pleasant frags that were strong while they lasted, but when they went they went quick and completely, in a relatively short space of time. It was a common theme with all of them and they all had a very 4711 development to them - intense opening, quick drydown, gone. If that's what generally comes from 100% natural ingredients, I'll stick with the guy wearing the white coat and goggles in the lab thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Blame it on the ban-hammer happy European Union regulatory group. Ban this, ban that, keep the legal team happy.
    I can't imagine them being too much different than we are, now having said that who's pocket do you suppose their in?
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

ban-hammer
    And we all know the world would not be the same without U Can't Touch This.

It's worth whatever YOU'RE willing to pay for it. For the nth time, the views of a college student and a billionaire regarding the price of something is going to vary greatly. Point blank, if you don't like Creed scents, it doesn't matter how high quality they are, you're going to say they aren't worth it, and vice versa. If you're asking our personal opinion, based on our experience with the scents and relative to our disposable income, than for me, I find them overrpriced as of the most recent price hike. Back when the the 4oz bottle could be had for less than $200 at authorized retailers, I thought they were worth their price, not anymore.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Still, even CREED must use a synthetic ingredient or two. Why?

Creating a 100% natural CREED perfume is preferable, of course. But a natural composition would not survive the months-long journey that begins with hand bottling at the CREED workshop in France, sea shipping to the United States, clearance at the U.S. port and transportation by ground to CREED’s authorized retailers coast to coast — Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, select Saks Fifth Avenue stores, select Nordstrom’s, select Bloomingdale’s and the new CREED boutique at 794 Madison Avenue in New York — if there were not a synthetic to prevent natural ingredients from spoiling along the way in the wide temperature variations that occur from, say, Boston to San Diego.
    My God this is total and utter bullshit. L'Artisan Parfumeur, Profumo.it and many other fragrance companies have all-natural fragrances that last years longer than the "shipment overseas."

Sorry for the tangent. Anyway, yeah if you like it, it's worth the money. I think GIT is worth the money (in terms of how it smells), as expensive and synthetic as it is.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    My God this is total and utter bullshit. L'Artisan Parfumeur, Profumo.it and many other fragrance companies have all-natural fragrances that last years longer than the "shipment overseas."
    This may be offtopic, but there is validity to the statements of using preservatives. Ofcourse in perfumes synthetics also impart special effects and are also used due to other restrictions.

Its a big topic in the beauty industry, with all the talk of parabens and other preservatives. My SO is in this industry and deals with this daily. There's definitely no way that an all organic perfume/beauty product can last longer than one with preservatives.
    Last edited by zztopp; 18th January 2010 at 01:21 AM.
    -

I think it's worth the money; however I'd rather keep some money in my pocket and go with the testers and swaps from BN instead.

Dependent

And why? Because Creed threatened to unscent Hollywood.
    Made my day!

This may be offtopic, but there is validity to the statements of using preservatives. Ofcourse in perfumes synthetics also impart special effects and are also used due to other restrictions.
    I see where you're coming from and understand that there is validity to using preservatives, but to say a fragrance house (like Creed) uses synthetics/preservatives because it "has to" (in order to ship overseas! lol) is a big lie. It may be a great business decision that increases shelf life dramatically, but it's not a necessity. I've had decants of preservative-free fragrances for years now that still haven't gone "off."

There's definitely no way that an all organic perfume/beauty product can last longer than one with preservatives.
    ZZ, I'm quite disappointed... Didn't you know all-organic fragrances last forever (not to mention, that they also cure cancer and world famine)? Adding preservatives only shortens their lifespan. Duh!
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 18th January 2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Sales thread here

IFRA is an organisation with big players from the perfume industry as members. They are self-regulatory and not EU regulations or law. Well, at least not until some lobby group has managed to make them so...

I wonder how many of the "Creed haters" truly understand how much a company like Creed thrives off off of your vindictive attacks.

Please keep it up. I like a lot of their scents and I'd like to see them around another 249 years.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

they are too expensive and annoyingly (and notoriously) short lasting. that will always be my fundamental complaint, too light, not long enough. You were mentioning old bottles? I purposefully allow my bottles to sit and age (eg SMW) so that they last longer (and they do, the older they get, at least SMW). I've gone through 3 bottles but I think I've found suitable replacements, I don't think i'll go back or miss it.

Take Virgin Island Water. Does anyone actually believe real coconuts have been sacrificed to produce this coconut-dominated scent? Chandler Burr, who you can't accuse of too little knowledge of the industry, suspects that the synthetic gamma-nonalactone has been used to create the coconut effect. This synthetic's presentation smells natural, and that's quite enough to keep everyone and me happy with this scent.

And ha, I suppose the serial number on the bottom of a bottle of VIW will tell you in which year the gamma-nonalactone is harvested in

I've said it before: people who want all-natural perfumes, often only *really* want a perfume that *smells* natural to their interpretations.

Creed is often many beginners' (including me) first foray in niche, and often the natural-is-good dogma still sticks in the heads. Creed's marketing blurb really capitalizes on this.

Even a great amateur perfumer like Andy Tauer would not make a 100% natural perfume, because he knows that synthetics can broaden his pallette and can actually give his scents the twists that he wants. He can use salicylates to bring out the 'naturalness' in his florals, for example, that are dominated by a very high percentage of natural essential oils such as Une Rose Chyprée. He NEEDS synthetics to give the scent the direction that his creativity wants, so he USES it, and happily tells/educates the visitors on his blog about this. I really can appreciate such a great perfumer personally telling us what he does without the necessary standard marketing blurbs like Creed has.

I own SMW, BdP, GIT, MI, VIW, Himalaya and Royal Delight in different quantities, and I love them, but Creed's marketing machine including the 'we're so natural' part white lies is annoying me to bits.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 18th January 2010 at 07:23 AM.

Creed is well worth the 50$ I spent for the 75ml tester. for 180$ ? Mmmm... I think I'll give it a pass.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I have two bottles of Creed in my collection I think I'm willing to leave it at that for the time being. Don't get me wrong, they are fine and great quality scents, but I just can't rationalize spending that much... especially with me OCD behavior, if I started to buy more I would probably need to have a full collection.

Hmmm..it's momentarily trivial at some degree. I believe that yes, the frag is of succeeding quality, then again. Their are so many cheaper frags that can *Almost* Succumb the overt price of Creed. Though, having this said. A vast majority are Indeed worth the price. A great house IMO!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Oh...and yes, I am intending to buy Some creed Niches aswell..I might start with Royal English Leather since I'm addicted to Dzing!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Cool Re: Creed IS worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I wonder how many of the "Creed haters" truly understand how much a company like Creed thrives off off of your vindictive attacks.

Please keep it up. I like a lot of their scents and I'd like to see them around another 249 years.
    ROFLMAO

Let's see:
    Himalaya
    REL
    Vintage Tabarome
    Baie de Genièvre
    Acier Aluminium
    Erolfa (when worn by the seashore)

Are all 5 star scents to me. Yes I got one bad bottle of Himalaya. I should have known. It was in Santee Allley selling for about $60.

GIT is simply a pleasant green. Glad it's a babe magnet for so many!
    BdP is simply a boardroom pleasant green. Go figure, you tough CEO's!
    Virgin Island Water is a bit of a snooze.
    Original Vetiver is good and subtle
    Vetiver (1948) is a mineral spring, but I can live without it
    Cypress Musc and Epicea rock! But I prefer my bottled forest to be Selection Verte.
    Silver Mountain Water is not quite as much of a snooze as VIW, but it's Himalaya for me.
    Tabaróme Millésime and Millesime Imperial are OK, you'll get compliments as with GIT but, naw . . .
    Bois de Cedrat lasts forever. It's one of their more linear juices, so be sure you like lime. No lemon. No, I mean cedrat.

Now, a confession: This is all completely subjective.

Well--duh! Of course it is.

But when I hear Marc Jacobs for Men (?) or Aramis 900 praised to the sky by members who are far more knowledgeable than me, and Creed bashed in the same breath, I wonder if they've lost the idea that well---scents are subjective.

( Is there ANYONE who COMPLETELY agrees with all of Luca Turin's top ten lists??)

I understand Creed hype and I take it with a pinch of salt.
    I've recommended that they follow up with the scent they made for The Pope with one made exclusively for The Dalai Lama.
    That they defend their prices by pointing out they have a secret saltwater lake for whales in order to harvest ambergis, guarded by enraged civet mutant cats chewing on Mysore sandalwood.

I can say no more . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 18th January 2010 at 08:57 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Gee, I didn't know about the lake...

I haven't been into this fragrance 'thing' for a while but I've had my own personal debates about Creed.

Here I am reading all the hype Creed gets on this website and then I go to Harvey Nichols and smell GIT, Himalaya, IM and Virgin Island Water and ask myself if the prices of Creed are really justified and I still don't have an answer for myself which is probably holding me back from purchasing Himalaya. It's quite obvious Creed have a 'target market' and they know people in that target market will buy Creeds. Like another member already said, if you buy a bottle of Creed it'll obviously be worth the money, if you don't by a bottle of Creed it's not worth the money; I think I'm stuck in the middle but once I make that leap and buy a Creed soon I think I might possibly appreciate how unique and special Creed is because I've spent a lot of money on it.

Creed is far above my age.. Moneywise.. and Scentwise, haha..
    unico grande amore.

Their scents would be easier to spend on if say a 30ml bottle was sold for around £50. At the moment a retail bottle of 30ml Creed is £75-too expensive for me albeit I find most of their scents very nice and a few gems exist among them. Statistically I like more scents from Creed then most other fragrances houses.

Are the scents worth it?-depends on who's judging them-its all in the eyes of the beholder.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 18th January 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    Their scents would be easier to spend on if say a 30ml bottle was sold for around £50.
    Fragrancenet sells the 1 oz/30ml bottles for around £43. They do ship to UK. Problem is, only a few of their more recent scents are available at that size. Their older stuff is usually only 75ml or flacons.

I bought MI through Fragrancenet in December. It's the real deal. They're just kind of dumb with the packaging.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th January 2010 at 02:18 AM.

Fragrancenet sells the 1 oz/30ml bottles for around £43. They do ship to UK. Problem is, only a few of their more recent scents are available at that size. Their older stuff is usually only 75ml or flacons.

I bought MI through Fragrancenet in December. It's the real deal. They're just kind of dumb with the packaging.
    thank you very much for the tip I'll check it out.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

By "dumb with the packaging" do you mean they don't properly secure the bottle inside the package?

My bottle of MI is slightly off kilter, judging from the samples I have left over from the run up to buying it, although the Creed rep in Union Square (SF) said they don't sell many. It may be an old bottle? I'm definitely asking for newer stock int the future.

Anyway, Creed frags are amazing as far as I'm concerned. Hype and cost are a subjective argument, but, 80% of Bond frags (priced at 200+ for 100ml) aren't worth a jar of Oliver Creeds pee.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    By "dumb with the packaging" do you mean they don't properly secure the bottle inside the package?
    Yes. There are a lot of posts in other threads. They ship bottles for a living and yet expend very little energy on properly packing them. I got a small one oz of MI. It was within its Creed box, packed very loosely in a box the size about double the size of a shoe box with a very token amount of padding paper to keep it from ping-ponging around.

As people who often swap or sell frags to each other, i think the average Basenoter packs the bottle so it would survive a plane crash when shipping to each other. Fragrancenet a bit more cavalier.

By all accounts, they do make good if product is damaged in shipment.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th January 2010 at 02:56 PM.

I'm surprised my flacon of Selection Verte survived unspilled.
    It was a great deal $173.57, free shipping, but there were no bubble wrap or peanuts.
    Just some 1/2-crumpled paper between the flacon-box, and their shipping-box.
    Nuts.

I'm surprised my flacon of Selection Verte survived unspilled.
    It was a great deal $173.57, free shipping, but there were no bubble wrap or peanuts.
    Just some 1/2-crumpled paper between the flacon-box, and their shipping-box.
    Great. I have a flacon of MI en route from them; hope it survives the trip...

I just got my two 75ml Creed's Millésime Impérial and Aventus ! i bought them for 150$ each one. Very good price, specially in Switzerland. Same day, i received from the local distributor 4 sample.

Strangely, the samples smell slightly differently of bottles. Not a big deal with MI, my bottle smells slightly stronger than the sample but difference is more significant for Aventus. My sample smells like apple and the bottle juice smell pineapple.

I feel lucky with my purchases but I do not like gambling.

There is no denying that a fresh bottle of Creed smells amazing, it's the issue with different batches. That's the reason I believe people don't like creed as much as other niche houses