Code of Conduct

Default my thoughts of Clive Christian

I got some sniff samples of Clive Christian's colognes. I applied a bit to my skin, the little that was on there mind you and these are my opinions. 1872 for men, smells like butter on my skin and very little much else so far not impressed. No. 1 for men very powdery floral, reminds me prada amber, burberry brit or the dreamer for some reason, smells a bit fem to be honest but I kind of like this one. To give it credit it is not that bad if you want to smell Austin Powers putting on baby powder, it has a sweetness to it too so it is like a powdered floral, sugar baby powder type of smell. Interesting smell, probably not worth the price tag at least in my eyes. X for men, on me it is subtle, it smells like angel men on a starvation diet. Very light and toned down. These are my first impressions of the company, it is interesting to try such an expensive cologne company, but I think that it goes to show , more expensive does not necessarily mean better.

Default Re: my thoughts of Clive Christian

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    These are my first impressions of the company, it is interesting to try such an expensive cologne company, but I think that it goes to show , more expensive does not necessarily mean better.
    I feel the same way about Czech and Speake.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I feel the same way about Czech and Speake.
    I will have to check them out when the time comes as well, depending on whether or not they have anything that interests me. Clive Christian is appealing because of the price and the look. The fragrance in it is not really that great, it is ok but not spectacular.

My thought about Clive Christian is, that he should have not discontinued the fantastic Crown Perfumery fragrance-line. There is something disgusting in this nouveau rich brand of his. Fortunately his fragrances - while good - are not even close to being worth the silly prices.

Czech & Speake? Fragrance doesn't get much better than vintage versions of No. 88 and Dark Rose. Oxford & Cambridge is my top 3 lavender, same applies to their Neroli. I also appreciate Frankincense & Myrrh and Cuba alot. Fantastic house.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 7th October 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    My thought about Clive Christian is, that he should have not discontinued the fantastic fragrances of Crown Perfumery.

Czech & Speake? Fragrance doesn't get much better than vintage versions of No. 88 and Dark Rose. Oxford & Cambridge is my top 3 lavender, same applies to their Neroli. I also appreciate Frankincense & Myrrh and Cuba alot. Fantastic house.
    I heard Cuba is good and looking to check it out.

Clive Christian objective with fragrances is really simple. Make the supposedly most expensive perfume. No.1 smelt like a subtle less complex cross between amouage gold and amouage reflection. The other two were hardly memorable for me.

My thoughts is that it is so ridiculously overpriced, I would never even bother trying it personally. I can't see even remotely liking it enough to pay that kind of price multiple. Even if it WAS the greatest line I ever smelled, I wouldn't shell out the cash for it.

My suspicion that no matter how good it is, people most likely buy it for the $ spending prestige, than it's superiority to other fragrances

The fact that the BOTTLE says, "The World's Most Expensive Perfume" leads me to believe their products lack the class of the World's BEST perfumes.

If one wanted to sample the masculines, where would one start? C, X, No.1, or 1872?

(I know the story about the Crown Perfumery bottle that was used for the women's scents. )

As Crown Perfumery started from a corset-maker who made smelling salts, the prices of these scents might make one a bit faint.

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...tes-apr03.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would suggest No. 1 knowing you a bit. It is a very floral masculine that is quite modern "dandy," and IMO requires sartorial support. Almost formal, and while it may not be worth that price, it DOES smell expensive.

1872 I can't wrap my nose around at all...don't know what to say about it. I couldn't tell you what it smells like. Sort of their "gourmand" I gather.

X is dark, spicey and sultry. Heavy cardamom and cinnamon.

C is quite a lot like TF Tuscan Leather. Fans of it will defend as better quality and more refined, nuanced.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th January 2012 at 10:21 PM.

No.1 pure parfum is their very best IMO.

I have a bottle of Clive Christian X for men, TO be very honest I find the cardomon scent too intense, smells like an Indian kitchen to me.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 17th March 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: marketplace violation

Good to know, thanks for sharing, I always wanted to sample this fragrance house's scents

I Love the fragrances.....just way too costly for me!!!
    Gary

Never tried, but they would have to litteraly blow my mind in order for me to spend that kind of money for a fragrance with a hideous flacon I would have to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    fragrance in it is not really that great, it is ok but not spectacular.
    Agree, "C" was the only one that I enjoyed. I would never get a bottle, especially with those prices.

Banned
    Blog Entries

These scents have a pretty meek following here and elsewhere, considering their controversial prices. No smoke, no fire?

meh...
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Sampled several of their scents a while back, and while they were pleasant, none were worth their absurd price tag.

Basenotes Institution

Primrose- I would start with X for men .I really liked it.

The price point is horrendous to me though especially No.1 . They are quality scents but the pricing puts me off.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I sampled several also while they were interesting, the absurd pricing was way more for the bottle and boxes. I don't need to spend $800 on an ok scent in a nice bottle.

I have owned both No. 1 and 1872 and while I do find the fragrances to be rich and luxe, if I had bought them my expectation would be higher....but as they were free I thought them to be very nice....I gave No. 1 away to a friend who really loved it ( I did not) and I kept 1872 as I LOVE petitgrain in almost any fragrance.....

A bottle parading that it's the world's most expensive perfume is beyond tacky and tasteless, and says alot about the company and its potential customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    My thoughts is that it is so ridiculously overpriced, I would never even bother trying it personally. I can't see even remotely liking it enough to pay that kind of price multiple. Even if it WAS the greatest line I ever smelled, I wouldn't shell out the cash for it.

My suspicion that no matter how good it is, people most likely buy it for the $ spending prestige, than it's superiority to other fragrances
    Yup, psychology says after spending that much money, they'll have to justify it somehow and will say it smells good, even if it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post

I agree. I would probably try them just to say I had, but couldn't imagine liking them enough to justify that large sume of money (to me at least)

I think C for Men is outstanding, but would never pay full retail.

I agree with this. Printing THE MOST EXPENSIVE PERFUME IN THE WORLD on the bottle is hideously tacky.

Having said that, I did pick up a bottle of X. I love Geza Schoen's compositions, and X is unlike anything else I own.

(Thankfully, X does not say that on the bottle.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_Safari View Post
    A bottle parading that it's the world's most expensive perfume is beyond tacky and tasteless, and says alot about the company and its potential customers.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Yup, psychology says after spending that much money, they'll have to justify it somehow and will say it smells good, even if it doesn't
    In defense of people who have bought this, remember these are very appealing fragrances to some people and that they can be found for less than retail price. I still think whoever is marketing this frag is a total asshole, but I overlooked it because I think Geza Schoen did some real magic with X.

I agree. I picked up a split on here and I will eventually spring for a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I agree with this. Printing THE MOST EXPENSIVE PERFUME IN THE WORLD on the bottle is hideously tacky.

Having said that, I did pick up a bottle of X. I love Geza Schoen's compositions, and X is unlike anything else I own.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    The fact that the BOTTLE says, "The World's Most Expensive Perfume" leads me to believe their products lack the class of the World's BEST perfumes.
    Yes!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post

X for Men is lovely. What else has Geza Schoen done, and what would you recommend trying?

I would never be able to afford CC prices, but thankfully I got a decant in a swap.
    Last edited by morrison74; 18th February 2012 at 02:26 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_Safari View Post
    Well, yes, but you have to keep in mind that the Clive Christian is a business, and the company is in business to make money, and if they can make this unintentionally funny tactic work for them - well, congratulations. The idea that the fragrances might be any good is sort of an afterthought, in the presence of that glaringly obnoxious marketing ploy. In that regard, it's a bit of a treat to find that they're actually pretty good. I'd spring for a bottle or two, if money were less of an object to me. At present. . . er, not quite worth $900 a bottle on my budget. . .

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    X for Men is lovely. What else has Geza Schoen done, and what would you recommend trying
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...er=Geza+Schoen

Essentric Molecules?
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    From Old Spice Ice Rock in 2000, to Clive Christian X for Men in 2001. Quite a year.....

I STILL haven't tried the Escentric line yet.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

eh, just order some ISO-E Super off the Perfumer's Apprentice for next to nothing in price and dilute it down to 50-65%... more or less the same really
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I might try that out. I see it sells at Nordstrom, NM, Saks in stores or online for all 3. Really how exclusive is it?

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    X for Men is lovely. What else has Geza Schoen done, and what would you recommend trying?

I would never be able to afford CC prices, but thankfully I got a decant in a swap.
    GS is responsible for Escentric Molecules, including the new Kinski scent that is one of my all-time favorites. He also did gs01 and gs02, the latter of which I think is excellent. I wear gs02 much more often than X.

Apparently he is also responsible for some Ormonde Jayne scents, but I am entirely unfamiliar with their line.

Sur la Plage

$300+ fragrances that smell like $50 ones.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread