Code of Conduct

Default Definition of "sillage" and "projection" wanted.

As a German and someone who just got into the fragrance thing, I often encounter these two terms on English speaking boards, of which "sillage" is most probably of French origin.

In my understanding "projection" describes how well the fragrance can be perceived by others, i.e. "stays close to the skin" vs. "surrounding you like a thick cloud".

Is "sillage" along the same lines or am I completely wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Definition of "sillage" and "projection" wanted.

Hey, I like king tubby the dub musician!

Sillage = the scent trail.

but what about "projection" then? sillage = projection ??

+1 king tubby is the best

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Sillage and projection is pretty
    much the same thing, IMHO!
    A case of potato/potato!

Welcome on board!

ich meine glauben same thing. lol. Took a semester of German in college.

Off-Scenter

If it's any help, I use the two to express somewhat different phenomena. By "projection" I mean at what distance a scent can be perceived - roughly equivalent to strength or potency. By "sillage" I refer to the degree to which a scent lingers in the air, even when the wearer is no longer present. I see the two concepts as interrelated, perhaps, but not identical. But that's just me...

It might be splitting hairs, but I see the terms sort of the same way Off-Scenter does. I'd say "projection" describes the size of the fragrant cloud around you when you're standing still. "Sillage" as adonis states (and illustrates) is your scent trail, or the wake your fragrance leaves as you move through a room.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

For me sillage has a dynamic component, it's a perfume trail when the person is moving (walking..).
    Projection is much like a bubble around the person who wear the perfume, i mean you can smell it when you are near but it will not let an odor when the person isn't here.

Lightbulb Re: Definition of "sillage" and "projection" wanted.

According to Cambridge online dictionary, the definition of silage is:
    grass or other green plants that are cut and stored, without being dried first, to feed cattle in winter.

So one can get an idea from this that the similar is done with pyramid of perfume notes. If I say silage that means how does the fragrances feel to the nose with respect to its freshness.

And about Projection it says: something that projects from a surface or above the edge of something.

So exactly, a kind of cloud a perfume creates after it is sprayed. I have noticed some fragrances have really high projection that just a spray can be sniffed from half a mile.

In my opinion: One man show, Beautiful (by Estee lauder) and Amarige (by Givenchey) have a killer silage and high projection.

Hope this helps.
    Your fragrance leaves your memory behind you

I would like to add that Guerlain Insolence even in the eau de toilette has incredible sillage and longevity.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plumaria View Post
    According to Cambridge online dictionary, the definition of silage is:
    grass or other green plants that are cut and stored, without being dried first, to feed cattle in winter.

So one can get an idea from this that the similar is done with pyramid of perfume notes. If I say silage that means how does the fragrances feel to the nose with respect to its freshness.

And about Projection it says: something that projects from a surface or above the edge of something.

So exactly, a kind of cloud a perfume creates after it is sprayed. I have noticed some fragrances have really high projection that just a spray can be sniffed from half a mile.

In my opinion: One man show, Beautiful (by Estee lauder) and Amarige (by Givenchey) have a killer silage and high projection.

Hope this helps.
    Sorry but l have to correct you there; the "silage" you speak of is an English word spelt with one L. "Sillage" is a French word spelt with two L's, & means a scent trail. Hope this clears things up!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks teardrop! It's always worth a learning from others something new. I hardly ever noticed that it was sillage not silage and second my French is just of learner's level so thank you once again
    Your fragrance leaves your memory behind you

Sillage in french is a generic word who means a moving trail. Not necessary for scent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plumaria View Post
    Thanks teardrop! It's always worth a learning from others something new. I hardly ever noticed that it was sillage not silage and second my French is just of learner's level so thank you once again
    You're welcome, glad to help!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Sillage in french is a generic word who means a moving trail. Not necessary for scent.
    Thanks Mon-Petit, of course you are right! l just meant in this context. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Sorry but l have to correct you there; the "silage" you speak of is an English word spelt with one L. "Sillage" is a French word spelt with two L's, & means a scent trail. Hope this clears things up!
    I'm only doing this in good humor, but isn't it "spelled" not "spelt"?....since we're talking spelling...

Technically it is 'spelt' not spelled. Much in the same way that something is done, not didded. But we oft use spelled. LoL.

And thank-you for the clarifications on see-yahzh and longevity.

"Spelt" is standard for British English, while "spelled" is standard for American English.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Yeah, I thought it was spelled...I thought "spelt" was a type of wheat, not past tense for spell...

Sillage comes from the french and it literally means "the wake of a ship", in perfumery sillage is the "wake of a scent" if you get my drift.
    What Pepe LePew leaves behing is sillage, get it?
    Projection is what people around you perceive of the scent, As you can see they are two different concepts.
    For projection you have to be there so the scent can be felt by others, while for sillage, you do not, somebody passing by will leave a wake and you smell it after he/she is gone.
    Although they are intimately related, some perfumes may have a great projection and poor sillage and vice versa.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 9th October 2010 at 11:39 PM.