Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default your favorite or recommended camphoric/mentholated/anisic/medicinal tinged perfumes

hi basenoters,

can anyone share your favorite or recommended perfumes with a camphoric/mentholated/anisic/medicinal/spiced air to it.. am open to any genre be it woody, green, floral, incense etc.. mainstream or niche..

i just like this kind of 'tingle&twist' in perfumes that makes one feel anything from elevated to soothing even to meditative..

just for an idea, some of such for me that i have owned or tried and loved are lacoste booster, SL tubereuse criminelle, diptyque's l' eau trois, oyedo & opone penhaligon's english fern, dior eau noire and even to some extent the likes of essence of john galliano, givenchy insense & CDG EDP

cheers!!
    -c
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: your favorite or recommended camphoric/mentholated/anisic/medicinal tinged perfumes

Body Kouros
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Default Re: your favorite or recommended camphoric/mentholated/anisic/medicinal tinged perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Body Kouros
    ^This. Eucalyptus, Incense and Camphorwood.

For mentholated, try L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraiche.

Yatagan

Another Caron: L'Anarchiste
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens

This description makes me think of Amouage Epic Woman - if Woman in the name frightens you then Epic Man could also fit but it's less medicinal IMO and just not as interesting a scent. The Epic duo are intended to allude to travelling the Silk Road and I get a distinct sense of that northern Asian sensibility - herbal, medicinal, an austere slightly astringent but fortifying 'tonic quality' - with these, with the flip side of also being contemplative . . . bang on!

There is a Heeley scent called (I think) Spirit of the Tiger - or similar - which a couple of reviewers have mentioned as being close to Tiger Balm - this is one I'd also like to try. Actually, if you haven't already, get some Tiger Balm anyway - smells great and helps headaches and muscular pains
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 8th October 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    ..There is a Heeley scent called (I think) Spirit of the Tiger - or similar - which a couple of reviewers have mentioned as being close to Tiger Balm - this is one I'd also like to try. Actually, if you haven't already, get some Tiger Balm anyway - smells great and helps headaches and muscular pains
    lol @ tiger balm.. i do have a lot of that!! among the real medicinal 'balms' i like its smell the most :P
    Last edited by lilyboy; 15th October 2010 at 02:11 AM.
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Serge Noire by Serge Lutens
    This....

UL Nightscape maybe. It certainly brings out the green, methol edge of patch to the front, then smooths out somewhat.
    Currently wearing: Theorema by Fendi

If you like wintergreen, my standby Tubereuse Criminelle might suit your tastes. Read some of the reviews in the Basenotes directory; it's something special.

Myrrh always hits my "medicinal" buttons in a good way, and my favorite for "edgy" myrrh has to be Serge Lutens La Myrrhe.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    ^This. Eucalyptus, Incense and Camphorwood.

For mentholated, try L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraiche.
    tnx.. have to revisit body kouros.. back then i didnt know it had eucalyptus incense and camphor.. and vaguely remember that it smelled pretty much like lolita lempicka au masculin, which i already have.. how different are they? is the body kouros more camphorous?

Les Lions D'Arthes

Lubin L'Eau Neuve.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Epic Man, definitely!

Here are a few, each in a different category

classic gentleman: Oxford and Cambridge - very camphorous lavender and rosemary opening, along with some peppermint. It's wonderfully bracing.

floral: Reflection Man - a camphorous opening of ylang absolute, rosemary, and a metallic iris note. There's a good deal of camphorous patchouli in the base too, and it maintains a camphorous tone throughout, so much so that some think the drydown smells of mothballs!

woody incense: Memoir Man - a great anise/wormwood opening.. the finest absinthe note I've encountered. After this it becomes an ashen woody incense.

cold patchouli: Ulrich Lang Nightscape - a cold,silvery, camphorous patchouli that is slightly metallic but very smooth.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    classic gentleman: Oxford and Cambridge - very camphorous lavender and rosemary opening, along with some peppermint. It's wonderfully bracing.
    Seconding this. Traditional yet somehow medicinal in an Avante Garde way.

Heeley Spirit of the Tiger was the first one tht popped in my mind.. followed by...
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire
    YSL Kouros
    Kenzo Air

Aesop Mystra is medicinal - smelt like a bronchial remedy imho :-)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Look for Alhambra by Paolo Gigli - menthylated oud.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Windsor
    Prelude To Love
    Selection Verte
    Lacoste Booster
    Oxford & Cambridge
    Fath Green Water
    Tubereuse Criminelle
    L'Anarchiste
    Body Kouros
    Force Majeure
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Lacoste Booster +1

It might be just me, but I definitely get a good quality medicinal/camphoric note from a smoky leathery-tobacco powerhouse frag with strong herbal and botanical suggestions: Francesco Smalto pour Homme

A few mentholated ones come to mind:

Alt-Insbruck Cologne - this is a combination of pure menthol and tobacco that is the most refreshing tobacco masculine fragrance I've tried.

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech and Speake is a very metholated take on lavender which can be very medicinal oriented by itself. I suspect the minty aspect comes as much from a combination of rosemary and spike lavender than anything else.

Outraeous by Frederic Malle - smells very minty and I guess the notes are menthol or wintergreen oil layered over a tuberose supercharged with ambroxan . Very warm, uplifting and minty fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Body Kouros
    Camphor is listed as one of its notes. I believe this beauty's being discontinued, so you might want to take advantage of the web-perfume store's bargain basement available now.

thanks much guys n gals.. these were a great list.. will check these out!!

YSL M7 - cherry cough syrup

anise- azzaro pour homme

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale (Not medicinal, but the gingeriness may count.)

I'd recommend the anise of Yohji Homme. Too bad it has been discontinued... it will be missed...

Teddius