Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Al-Rehab Khaliji - er... wow.

I ordered Khlaiji,Sondos,Aseel and Silver from Al Rashad Friday last at about 430 Pm. I am in New York and it arrived today after lunch. Aseel is a definite steal the wife loved it immediatley. Khaliji the spray I got and have yet to pin it down,to be honest it smells like nothing..lol. If I can cay that. Sondos again is an overpowering Arabic scent of wood that one must grow to like, the wife said no. Silver is exactly like silver water as users have described. Beautiful and refreshing.

I haven't had much opportunity to test all the Re-Habs I purchased but here's a brief run-down of my thoughts so far:

Roses: A lovely rose oil but have decided to save it for next summer, as I don't think the current climate will do it much justice.

Aroosah: This was a favourite at the beginning but I've now concluded that white florals aren't really me. I enjoyed wearing it but not as much as I wanted to. Still a good one.

Aseel: Definitely Red Aoud but much smoother. Loved wearing it and received a couple of compliments. Current favourite with great lasting power.

Sondos: Wearing this today and am a little disappointed. As a sweet woody scent, I'm finding it underwhelming - it's almost like Aseel but less strong and without the interesting notes. I thought this would be a firm favourite but have been proven wrong.

Btw, I've long ditched using the rollerball method and have resorted to smearing my arms, torso and neck with between 1-1.5ml of oil per application. The results have been excellent so far with, largely, great longevity and sillage. As the oils are very cheap, why not?

I have a few of these that I use regularly. Notably: Aseel, Khaliji, Aroosah, Basmah, Banan, Badr, Al Fares, Attar Al Bakhour & Danat Oudh by Hamil Al Musk. Nothing remarkably expensive, but all very good. Two more US sources that I have used are:

Al Madina Trader SOMETIMES REDIRECTS ?
    Al Hilm

I'm glad to see some interest being drummed up over these. Aseel is indeed very good for not much money -- and you stand out from the crowd.

I wish these were in the database, as it would be nice to get a set of reviews going there.
    Last edited by 6of1; 12th April 2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: content
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

While making my way back home, on the underground, this familiar aroma kept flirting with my nose. I then came to the conclusion that someone was wearing Caron's Parfum Sacre. It was only after changing trains that I realised the smell was coming from me! Yes, the drydown of Sondos is very similar to Parfum Sacre (rose, incense, vanilla and woods). As I already own Parfum Sacre, I can't see myself getting more of this one but the experience was pleasant all the same.

Tomorrow, I'll be wearing Rosha but I think it will be tough for any of their other releases to trump Aseel...

I wore Silver to work yesterday and one of my co-workers asked me not to wear it anymore. He found it offensive and said that I smelled like rust. LOL

I like it a lot but will respect his wishes. It'll be an evening/weekend only scent.
    Last edited by atrac; 25th October 2010 at 06:35 PM.

A few hours into wearing Rosha and I'm really enjoying it - powdery rose, vanilla and musk. However, it's very soft and I think it would be far more appropriate as either a bedtime or comfort scent.

I definitely plan to get some more of this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I'm sure you can find a store selling all kinds of Middle Eastern fragrances if you drive down Brookhurst St in Garden Grove, between Chapman Ave and Ball Rd ("Little Arabia"), where there are dozens of Middle Eastern stores in mini-malls.
    Great, I went there and had a ball, I ended up buying 6 roll ons at the Anwar store and enjoyed a fantastic arabic dinner in a hole in the wall kind of restaurant in the corner of Orange and Brookhurst, Thank you for the tip Astaroth

Hi all,
    I tried
    1. Aseel- great and powerful but not my cup of tea. Although my partner likes this.
    2. Khaliji- good, citrussy with oudh notes- quite distinct but won't allure anyone.
    3. Silver- good with metalic taste. Haven't ever used SMW so can't compare
    4. Dehn al oud- good and mellow, medicinal

Somehow these fragrances don't evolve that much over time. It stays same albeit softens a bit.

S
    Last edited by saurya_s; 22nd April 2011 at 08:08 PM.

After almost 6 month experiencing the Al Rehab oils and sprays all I can say is that I am impressed and will continue using them, not everyday, but al least once in a while.
    I reviewed a couple of them here in basenotes so you can have at least an idea of what I think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    After almost 6 month experiencing the Al Rehab oils and sprays all I can say is that I am impressed and will continue using them, not everyday, but al least once in a while.
    I reviewed a couple of them here in basenotes so you can have at least an idea of what I think about them.
    I agree -- they make for an excellent change of pace. I find that some of the earthy ones like Banan layer well with anything herbaceous. Add to that the excitement of (for me) mostly unexplored territory...

Today is Banan and Monotheme Scottish Lavendar. An excellent combination.

I've got a few of the roll-on oils, I bought them from eBay. There are a number of sellers that do them, but I've had excellent customer service from an eBay shop called al-munarrawah (sp?) who are based in Luton.
    Khaliji smells very fresh to me and is excellent in the heat. Lord smells very much like Lapidus PH minus the pineapple note. Al-Rehab's Dehnal Oudh is lovely, but I'm not trained enough to be able to detect the relative quality. Some oudh oils are incredibly expensive, especially the Cambodian oudhs, and I have yet to try them.
    Al-haramain's Musk al Ghazal is fabulous also, and I have another couple of musks from the aforementioned seller and others. One is simply labelled 'Black Musk' and is possibly the most potent musk I have ever smelled. Excellent stuff. I've got Silver, Shaikah, and various others too, I can't remember at the moment because they're in a drawer and I don't wear them often.
    As mentioned previously, these are very cheap. I'm interested to hear that the spray bottles don't seem as good. Certainly the oils dabbed on pulse points give good sillage and incredible longevity. I always thought that the alcohol in western fragrances lifted the scent and dispersed it, creating the projection/sillage, and therefore perfumed oils wouldn't 'carry' but I found as soon as my body heats up the oil, the scent travels.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    I wish these were in the database, as it would be nice to get a set of reviews going there.
    But they are!!!

http://www.basenotes.net/company/103386

130 Al Rehab scents are in the database.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    But they are!!!

http://www.basenotes.net/company/103386

130 Al Rehab scents are in the database.
    Sure enough, but a lot of the ones I own are not. This company must have an enormous product base.

Today I received an order from Al Hilm. Picked up Silver, Balkis and Sondos. I only got a cursory sniff of each one because I was on my way out the door to work, but I must say that the resemblance of Silver to Silver Mtn Water is remarkable. Balkis reminds me of a more incense oriented Banan and Sondos was very woody. Can't wait to try these out.

Trebor's unbounded enthusiasm for these convinced me to take the plunge a few weeks ago (it was the "slathered" that got me). I ordered several of the 6 mL roll-ons but have not played around with them a great deal:

-Aseel
    -Khaliji
    -Roses
    -Roshan
    -Shaikhah
    -Sondos

Aseel is my runaway favorite so far, a medicinal oud on an aromatic saffron-type background with some rose, a bit rough around the edges and which bears more than a passing resemblance to Red Aoud.

Khaliji was initially a disappointment but only because I was expecting a Rose 31 doppelganger from the OP's experience; this has a strangely durable, sweaty sour citrus opening with a less aggressive oud and a warm, ambery base.

Will have to give the others a proper go soon.

I have next to no experience with perfume oils, and one of the things I am finding is that these diffuse quite differently from alcohol-based sprays. They don't present notes in the same way, either. More like a veil of scent that changes imperceptibly, if at all, over time.

They take a little while to warm up but when they do, look out. One day, I went to the gym in the morning with a solid swath of Aseel on my forearm from the night before. It woke up alright, positively exploding off of my arm. It was actually more pleasant than I could have hoped for in the end, and not cloying at all.

Has anyone else gone to (Al) Rehab and said yes, yes, yes?
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 28th April 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Emlynevermore, that's a nice little selection you have there. Enjoy experimenting with them and remember that taking risks shouldn't be a concern based on their price. Yes, smearing your body with at least 1ml of Al-Rehab oil has to be tried at least once!

I hear you about Khaliji - it also left me mostly cold. I still think the oils for Aseel, Roshan and Roses are extremely good for what they are. With Roshan, I occasionally get that cheap synthetics vibe but, for the most part, it's a very sensual scent. I've already received a couple of enthusiastic enquiries about Roshan, whilst wearing it (and, yes, they have both been from females).

Since then, I've tried a few others but the best new discoveries have been the following:

Amber Rose: Bright, Montale-esque and smells as described, with a noticeable sharp jammy accord (which might be too feminine for some). Lovely!

Sultan Al Oud: Another 'coincidental' Montale creation, which smells closest to Original Aouds. But, to be honest, it reminds me more of L'Artisan's Bois Farine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Yes, smearing your body with at least 1ml of Al-Rehab oil has to be tried at least once!
    I am actually going to do this on a day when I have absolutely nothing to do. Hopefully my nosehairs live to tell about it.

Something else I have noticed is that the oils smell fine at a distance but if you sniff too close, the oils smell of burnt plastic/synthetics. Probably safe to chalk that up to the formula cost of these particular oils?

This sort of thing definitely has a place in my wardrobe, perhaps as an alternative to cheap-and-cheerful EdCs. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in these definitely try a few of the roll-ons (and there are plenty to choose from). There is something immensely appealing about their essential cheapness, from the little bottles to the prices to the scents themselves.

I want to see how long it takes me to finish my bottle of Aseel before ordering a 6 x 6 mL replacement pack.

EDIT: This site has descriptions of a bunch of the line:

http://www.alhannah.com/products/gi349.html

The ones I am interested in from that list are Al Fares (masculine spicy floral), Fancy Bouquet (rich oud floral), and Royal Bouquet (spicy oriental floral). Anyone tried those?

EDIT 2: I ordered from Al-Rashad Books the first time but I see that the Zahras catalogue has the smaller 3 mL sizes (and 1/2 kilos!), with descriptions and a bigger selection, too.

Al-Rashad shipped quickly because they are based out of Ohio and their system is automated. Zahras takes orders via email, so I have to contact them to find out where they ship from and how much it will cost.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 28th April 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Something else I have noticed is that the oils smell fine at a distance but if you sniff too close, the oils smell of burnt plastic/synthetics. Probably safe to chalk that up to the formula cost of these particular oils?
    Yes, I've noticed this as well - some more than others.

As for Aroosah, it's one of the best I've tried but sharp and honeyed white florals just isn't me.

I've only come across one bottle Fancy Bouquet oil and it looked very old. Its smell is probably not worth mentioning but I'm sure a fresh bottle would be rather pleasant.

As for Aroosah, it's one of the best I've tried but sharp and honeyed white florals just isn't me.
    Yes, I thought the same thing while I was editing the post and amended it with different choices. Some of the others seem more my style.

Food for thought: If these are reformulated, how will we know?

Reformulated?! I haven't the faintest idea. Based on the amount of synthetics used, hopefully any change should be attributed more to batch differences. But, then again, there are so many Al-Rehab releases that it'll be impossible to know or even keep track of.

Anyway, they're so cheap that it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Anyway, they're so cheap that it shouldn't be too much of a concern.
    Yeah, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek; I don't think raw materials get any more downmarket than whatever they are using at the moment.

I am enjoying Shaikhah on one arm and Sondos on the other (and the two Rs, Rose and Roshan perhaps tomorrow).

Shaikhah - Dry floral-oud, with a touch of honeyed sweetness. Nothing overtly femme about it but I suspect I would enjoy this even more on a woman.

Sondos - A sweet, slightly powdery wood scent, I think this is supposed to be an attempt at sandalwood with the cheapest of synthetics. Still, briefly, very crudely, it even reproduces a whisper of the real thing's tangy buttermilk tendency. Relatively solid drydown, too. Not a total success, but it does smell unquestionably good. And it costs $2. So...you know...in your face.

Something about all 4 of the ones I have tried so far have a sort of aromatic, Middle Eastern house-note, even Khaliji, in which it is the least pronounced.

The list of additional Al-Rehab oils I want to try is growing ever-longer. My real concern is that this will further lead to testing the waters of oud blends, which will whet the appetite for pure ouds, which in turn will lead to homelessness.

I have some free time this morning so I have been wearing Roshan and Roses:

Roshan - A fluorescent, trashy woody-rose that reminds me of some pineapple-coconut Asian gummies I once ate with the look and feel of a human tongue. Good fun all round, with a sweet powdery drydown. This idea has been scaled up before, because I am certain I've smelled this accord elsewhere. Roshan did smell great on my eight year-old cousin when she helped herself to it on Easter Sunday. Perhaps I ought to have let her keep it.

Roses - A fresh, sunny, sometimes sour rose soliflore. I've always felt that despite its typical associations with romance and refinement, roses actually have a slightly naff quality; a sort of whiny younger sister to properly beautiful flowers like gardenias and jasmine. This tendency seems particularly apparent when the rose materials used in fragrance are handled carelessly. This oil is nice enough, but mostly underscores the cheapness of the basic smell, not to mention whatever is used here to reconstitute it. Becomes plasticky over time, though possibly still useful for layering.

I am thinking about acquiring 3 mL roll-ons of some of the following (with descriptions culled from various online sources, including this thread):

Al Fares (masculine spicy floral)
    Dehn al Oudh (subtle pleasant woody masculine)
    Hams Al Warood (pleasant musk sandal blend)
    Mokhallat al-Rehab (light woody, modern oriental)
    Oudy (subtle pleasant woody masculine)
    Rasha (Arab/Western mukhallat)
    Saat Safa (rich musk blend)
    Sandal Rose (sandal rose)
    Sultan al Oud (sharp cedar)
    Taifi (rich oud)

Fancy Bouquet (rich oud floral) -- could only find in 6 mL
    Royal Bouquet (spicy oriental floral) -- could only find in 6 mL

^^Would anyone who has tried any of the above care to share their experiences?

Trebor, you called Saat Safa "old fashioned" (and "a stinker" ) last year. What did you mean by that?

My real concern is that this will further lead to testing the waters of oud blends, which will whet the appetite for pure ouds, which in turn will lead to homelessness.

I am thinking about acquiring 3 mL roll-ons of some of the following (with descriptions culled from various online sources, including this thread):

Taifi (rich oud)

Trebor, you called Saat Safa "old fashioned" (and "a stinker" ) last year. What did you mean by that?
    I have tried Dehn al oud. This is good, woody and medicinal. Somehow it doesn't last very long but the fragrance is quite distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by saurya_s View Post
    I have tried Dehn al oud. This is good, woody and medicinal. Somehow it doesn't last very long but the fragrance is quite distinct.
    Very helpful, thank you.

That is twice now I have seen the word "pleasant" used to describe something otherwise regarded as "medicinal" (Aseel and Dehn al Oud). Cultural relativity, eh?

Actually, this is the sort of weird complexity I am looking for more of so I am glad to hear it.

Very helpful, thank you.

That is twice now I have seen the word "pleasant" used to describe something otherwise regarded as "medicinal" (Aseel and Dehn al Oud). Cultural relativity, eh?

Actually, this is the sort of weird complexity I am looking for more of so I am glad to hear it.
    Not sure if there is cultural element in this or not but I certainly have a background of pharma/drugs!
    Assel: I have tried Aseel as well and it is certainly not medicinal rather complex and sweet oud. Aseel is very similar to Balck oud except bit sweeter.
    Khaliji: Tried but not terribly impressed. It has strong citrus start followed by mild oud notes.
    Silver: Good stuff. People say it is like SMW but I have never used SMW, so can't comment.
    Dakkar: Good, clean and green.

I realize that these fragrances don't evolve rather they mellow and die out.
    Best,
    S

-----

Taifi(rich oud)

LOL! Emlynevermore, I had to remind myself what the packaging looked like in order to remember Saat Safa. All I can say is that it was one of the least impressive that I've tried from this house.

Here's a little input into a couple of others I've tried from your list:

Taifi: Based on Taif rose, in other words a very green and woody rose. It smelt okay when I checked it out and would be an interesting one to purchase.

Dehn al Oudh:
    Nope! I'd advise you not to get this one. It's along the same lines as Sandos, which I believe you found disappointing as well. Personally, Sultan al Oud would be a much better alternative.

Sultan al Oud:
    I think the description for this is incorrect, as it sounds more like Sultan - a scratchy, piercing cedar. Sultan al Oud smells more like Bois Farine. With regards to Sultan, you must like cedar! It has to be one of the most nuclear offerings from this house.
    Last edited by Trebor; 29th April 2011 at 07:48 PM.

LOL! Emlynevermore, I had to remind myself what the packaging looked like in order to remember Saat Safa. All I can say is that it was one of the least impressive that I've tried from this house.

Here's a little input into a couple of others I've tried from your list:

Taifi: Based on Taif rose, in other words a very green and woody rose. It smelt okay when I checked it out and would be an interesting one to purchase.

Dehn al Oudh:
    Nope! I'd advise you not to get this one. It's along the same lines as Sandos, which I believe you found disappointing as well. Personally, Sultan al Oud would be a much better alternative.

Sultan al Oud:
    I think the description for this is incorrect, as it sounds more like Sultan - a scratchy, piercing cedar. Sultan al Oud smells more like Bois Farine. With regards to Sultan, you must like cedar! It has to be one of the most nuclear offerings from this house.
    Thanks, it appears I did mix up the description of Sultan and Sultan al Oud. You mentioned Rochas Lui as a congener of Sultan upthread, which is interesting because I happen to own and love the former. In this instance, however, my nose is begging me to say that one cedar foghorn is plenty.

I actually rank Sondos with, or just ahead of, Khaliji as my second favorite behind Aseel. I guess I am really just looking for something as compelling as Aseel and hoping one of the new ones fits the bill. I think I will revise my review of Roshan in light of the drydown, which is basically a powdery oriental finish in the Stetson mold, and give it a hearty thumbs up. It also lasted through a shower, so you must admire its pluck.

Yes, I now think Sandos is better than I originally thought, as I came across an earlier post mentioning how the drydown smelt like Caron's Parfum Sacre. The opening is deceptively 'meh' but it does get better as time passes.

As for finding something as good as Aseel (or even better), you may have your work cut out. After trying nearly 30 Al-Rehabs, I'm still searching for its peer.

Yes, Roshan is extremely tenacious, although its more subdued sillage suggests otherwise.

Yes, I now think Sandos is better than I originally thought, as I came across an earlier post mentioning how the drydown smelt like Caron's Parfum Sacre. The opening is deceptively 'meh' but it does get better as time passes.
    Mate, that was you!

In truth, comparing these to proper perfumes is a fraught business. It's a bit like debating claymation vs. Pixar; not much of a contest, but if you are really in the mood for Gumby or some California Raisins (what up, 80s America?), nothing else will do.

If this next batch of oils doesn't do anything for me, I will just order a couple roll-ons of Aseel and call it a win.

Mate, that was you!
    That's old age for you...

Well, based on this thread, i got excited and made an order at Al-Rashad:

Aseel
    Khaliji
    Silver
    Roses
    Red Rose
    Mokhalat Dubai
    Dehn Al-Oud

All of them Perfume Concentrated Oil 6ml, for 39usd shipped to Brazil, a real bargain!
    If just one is good, the price will worth!

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post

Aseel
    Khaliji
    Silver
    Roses
    Red Rose
    Mokhalat Dubai
    Dehn Al-Oud

All of them Perfume Concentrated Oil 6ml, for 39usd shipped to Brazil, a real bargain!
    I didn't see this post yesterday or else I would have responded sooner.

I know you are a fan of Montale, so I am curious what you think of Aseel when you get it. Also Mokhalat Dubai and Dehn Al-Oud especially, because I haven't tried either of those. Your thoughts on all of them would be appreciated, frankly.

Myself, I am holding off on acquiring the list of oils I made upthread until I complete some other purchases first. Part of me suspects that this is just a fool's errand though, because Aseel basically fulfills everything I could have hoped for from something so inexpensive. We'll see.

I didn't see this post yesterday or else I would have responded sooner.

I know you are a fan of Montale, so I am curious what you think of Aseel when you get it. Also Mokhalat Dubai and Dehn Al-Oud especially, because I haven't tried either of those. Your thoughts on all of them would be appreciated, frankly.

Myself, I am holding off on acquiring the list of oils I made upthread until I complete some other purchases first. Part of me suspects that this is just a fool's errand though, because Aseel basically fulfills everything I could have hoped for from something so inexpensive. We'll see.
    Yeah, i bought them blind.

Im a huge Montale fan, but i cant resist this arabian blend that everyone is telling good things, and about 30 of them can cost the same as 1 montale.

The first part of the list (Aseel, Khaliji and Silver) i got for the highly recomendations here.

The second part (the roses) cause im a rose lover.

The thirdy part (Mokhalat Dubai and Dehn Al-Oud) cause they look so Arabic, extremist and weird. I did not know nothing about them except the name.

Well, I'm going to chime in here and list my current favourites:

Aseel
    Soft
    Sultan Al Oud
    Amber Rose
    Mokhalat Al Rehab

Saat Safa is also a very nice one (I think the bottle I tried previously was off) but it's not as potent as the majority of the ones I've tried so far.
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th May 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Aseel
    Khaliji
    Silver
    Roses
    Red Rose
    Mokhalat Dubai
    Dehn Al-Oud

The package arrived yesterday.
    Thanks for the free gummy bears Al Rashad, my girlfriend loved! (they sent me 6 packs for free, what a surprise!)

I just gave a sniff in the stoppers of all of them, so the impressions will not be accurate, just a hint!

Aseel - Really fantastic. Very high quality notes. The best from the 7 that i bought. Some oud and spices. Remind me Red Aoud by Montale less sweet.
    Khaliji - Other great fragrance, citrus and sweet. Remind me one of the new Chanels, but dont know wich one (maybe bleu or allure sport)
    Silver - I dont know SMW, but this is good. Aquatic slightly sweet, slightly citrus. Looks weak.
    Roses - Amazing. Pure roses with a touch of...Oud?? Really fantastic, loved, my 2nd preferred.
    Red Rose - Very Feminine. Remind me Bulgari Pour Femme i think.
    Mokhalat Dubai - VERY MOSSY AND RESINOUS. I did not liked.
    Dehn Al-Oud EVEN MORE MOSSY AND RESINOUS.

Overwall experience with the blend:

Amazing. High quality notes with a banana price!
    I will buy more 10 oils this next month (but they elevated the price, i paid 2.7usd i think, now its more than 3. 10%, cmon! lol)

Hiya guys, i am a Muslim and have many contacts who actually own these eastern fragrance 'bazaars' here in the UK... I am interested in setting up a small business whereby I can fulfil worldwide orders for any particular fragrance you may require from these types of shops...

PM me for quotes on what you are after and I will do my best to locate it and can ship it out for a very small fee...!

d4N13L, I am glad you like (most of) the ones you got. Give them proper wearings and report back, that is, if you can fit them in between vintage purchases!

The best thing about Aseel is that it goes straight for the nose, in the way the best of the Montale Aouds do.

Myself, I am tabling the search for a better Al-Rehab oil for the time being. I want to make a dent in what I have before pursuing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSheedah View Post
    Hiya guys, i am a Muslim and have many contacts who actually own these eastern fragrance 'bazaars' here in the UK... I am interested in setting up a small business whereby I can fulfil worldwide orders for any particular fragrance you may require from these types of shops...

PM me for quotes on what you are after and I will do my best to locate it and can ship it out for a very small fee...!
    You might want to talk to Grant about becoming a sanctioned seller on BN.

The best thing about Aseel is that it goes straight for the nose, in the way the best of the Montale Aouds do.
    Emlynevermore, the next closest one I've tried that fits this description is Amber Rose - it's extremely Montale-esque! Actually, I think it's one of their most recent releases.

d4N13L, good to hear you're enjoying your purchases but you've really got your work cut out. Only last week, I discovered another 15 or so lesser known Al-Rehabs both on-line and in some local shops. It's now becoming very overwhelming (especially knowing that at least half of them will be sub-par).

After wearing these a bit more, my current top three favourites are Aseel, Amber Rose and Soft (which is a budget-priced version of Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo).

[QUOTE/]You might want to talk to Grant about becoming a sanctioned seller on BN.[/QUOTE]

Will do.. Thanks..

I blind ordered 100ml EDP sprays of Silver and Khaliji based on this thread.
    They just arrived, and I must say, Silver does smell almost exactly like a poor batch of SMW !! I really wasn't expecting it to be so close. It's much closer to SMW than Unforgivable is to MI, much much closer. I'm wearing it right now in disbelief.

And Khaliji is definitely one lovers of Dirty Rose scents like Rose 31 should try. I don't know how the oil version sits on skin, but the EDP spray sits more like an EDT, but is very spicy, very floral, and yes, a bit "dirty". Masculine for sure. Not the overly strong, synthetic, femme rose note of Amouage Lyric, Domenico Caraceni, etc....much more subtler and masculine like Rose 31. The sillage is very citrusy, rosy/floral, and lightly spicy, whereas upon close sniffs, it smells much spicier and dirtier. I really dig the Khaliji box too, but the scent is not quite for me (like Rose 31):

Question for all those that tested the entire line...does Aseel feature the exact same type of Spice notes featured in Khaliji ? And which are the most citric/green/floral/fruity, without being darkly spicy (sweet spicy like cinnamon is ok) ? ? I am looking at Nebras, Africana, Wigdan, Shadha, Dalal, Crystal, Bakhour, Sharquiah...any info on those first hand would be really helpful.

And it bears repeating.....LOVERS OF SMW !! Please look into Al Rehab Silver alcohol-based EDP (not sure how the oil is, but the EDP is good) It's not a low quality copy, it's a very respectable copy, literally almost as good as a bad/weak batch of SMW directly from creed.

DULLAH,

I totally agree with you about the EDPs - they're more EDTs than anything else. Personally, I much prefer the oils as they're more tenacious.

With regards to Aseel, if you like Montale's Red Aoud you can't go wrong. It's less sweet but pretty much a dead ringer.

From your list of candidates, I've only tried Nebras, Bakhour and Africana. I can't remember much about Nebras, so I can't help you there. As for Africana, if you like green apples than knock yourself out! Personally, I thought it was one of the worst Al-Rehabs I've encountered so far. Bakhour is a dense woody-fruity (Mokhalat al Rehab is roughly a lighter and less woody equivalent).

If you're interested in a cinnamon and nutmeg combo, I'd recommend Superman. Daft name but it's one of the more pleasant offerings I've smelt. It's not too dark nor soapy but isn't as potent as others worn.

From what I know, you may also want to try Al Fares and Royal Bouquet - both spicy florals, so I've been told.

So far for me:

The most citric: Khaliji

The most green: Taifi

The most floral: depends on what florals you're after - Full, Jasmine and Aroosah for white florals, and Roses for... well, rose. Beyond that is tough as there are still many florals out there yet to be discovered and tested.

The most fruity: Probably Fruit but that's bloody awful! It'd probably be best to stick with Bakhour.

I'd also recommend Golden - a spicy floral with either anise or fennel being the most prominent note.

Btw, testing the entire line is next to impossible - I've yet to come across a supplier that stocks all 150+ Al-Rehab creations. LOL!
    Last edited by Trebor; 9th June 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks Trebor.
    I would have never even considered Superman in the cart if not for you. LOL

And has anyone tried the newest Al Rehab ?
    It's supposedly a westernized Oud scent, that an oud-saavy german reviewer claims is much preferrable to Kilian's Pure Oud. It's called "Arooq Al Oud".

Anyone ?

Thanks for the feedback Dullah, Silver is indeed very well done. Im a little bit regret to have bought Silver Mountain Water (did not arrived yet), even if i paid 82usd for a 4oz bottle!

Al Rehab have fantastic scent for ridiculous prices, i will grab more and more in their line. But cmon, 150 fragrances is TOO MUCH!

Also, the Arooq Al Oud sounds great, i will try to buy one blind if i can find it. Beautiful bottle and box!

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Thanks Trebor.
    I would have never even considered Superman in the cart if not for you. LOL

And has anyone tried the newest Al Rehab ?
    It's supposedly a westernized Oud scent, that an oud-saavy german reviewer claims is much preferrable to Kilian's Pure Oud. It's called "Arooq Al Oud".

Anyone ?
    Awesome bottle!!!

Thanks for the feedback Dullah, Silver is indeed very well done. Im a little bit regret to have bought Silver Mountain Water (did not arrived yet), even if i paid 82usd for a 4oz bottle!

Al Rehab have fantastic scent for ridiculous prices, i will grab more and more in their line. But cmon, 150 fragrances is TOO MUCH!

Also, the Arooq Al Oud sounds great, i will try to buy one blind if i can find it. Beautiful bottle and box!
    I think al rehab are great value for money. I have ordered few more. Somehow at basenotes , it seems reviews are affected by the price, brand etc rather than the content. Whenever I have bought stuff from big houses, I have always been disappointed e.g. Creed, Tom Ford Private blend, Chanels men line barring some old ones.

Silver is really good if you use in little amount. I normally prefer the oils. I gave Aseel to my partner as it was very strong for me.

Al rehabs that I have ordered are- Rasha, al fares, Secret man, Station, Golden, Soft and Zidane. All of them have weird name!

Will post the experience as soon as I get the lot.
    S

As I look through these posts, it is lovely to see how many people have been turned on to a house that would have gone unnoticed on the whole. Although people don't always agree with my original favourite (and still is for that matter of the line), others have gone on to discover others they derive pleasure from. And that, my friends, is what this wonderful hobby is about.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I just got the oil version of Silver in the Indo-Paki part of the Chi, and I'm impressed again. It's not as close to SMW as the Al Rehab EDP, but the oil is very strong. More Lemony than SMW, and the base doesn't hold together as well, it reveals the powdery note, and the flavor of the synthetic floral notes from SMW are much more naked in the AL Rehab oil than their EDP, but nonetheless, in any form, Al Rehab Silver is truly a bargain looking for long lasting citrus/fresh scents.

Anyone who loves SMW, but wants a cheaper version buy the spray. Anyone who wants a stronger, longer lasting, more lemony version of SMW, should grab the Al Rehab Oil version of Silver.

I'm not in favor of plagerism where the product is </="the original", and costs the same or more (Bond No.9 Hamptons), but I can support either low cost cloning to some degre, or using a scent as inspiration and improving upon it substantially. And Al Rehab has given the citrus/aquatic/fresh-floral budget crowd a real blessing with Silver.

The rest of the 6ml oil Line besides Khaliji & Silver didn't wow me as much.....although I did think Al Fares, Roses, Red Rose were decent. Red Roses is your typical synthetic Tart Bulgarian Rose note for those liking some Montales, Czech & Speakes, Domenico Caraceni, etc. And Red Roses is a softer synthetic Rose note, more like the Drydown of Amouage's Lyric man sorta.

Was expecting more from Bakhour, Nebras, and Shadha for some reason I imagined them to be more unisex and spicy florals (like cheaper version of Homage), and less reliant on floral/white musks....

Didn'yt get a chance to try Sultan, Superman or Sharquiah, I'll probably order them blind from Al Rashad with some others.

Wow, guys, keep these descriptions coming :-) I happened to get curious about Al Rehab and this thread is all I could have wished for! There are just soooo many scents in this line, I can't just order 10 all at once... or can I?

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Wow, guys, keep these descriptions coming :-) I happened to get curious about Al Rehab and this thread is all I could have wished for! There are just soooo many scents in this line, I can't just order 10 all at once... or can I?
    You can order 10 at time and help to complete our coverage of house! They are very cheap anyway!

Well I guess I will order quite a few of them, although I am not to be trusted with my reviews as I am a really untrained nose and have no experience with ouds whatsoever...
    I'm definitely going to be picking that Silver one and the Aseel. Superman sounds nice, I love cinnamon. I didn't really get the difference between Sultan and Sultan Al Oud from your description. Which would you guys say is a good oud by Al Rehab for a non-connoisseur? And, would you go for the oils instead of the alcohol sprays?

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Well I guess I will order quite a few of them, although I am not to be trusted with my reviews as I am a really untrained nose and have no experience with ouds whatsoever...
    I'm definitely going to be picking that Silver one and the Aseel. Superman sounds nice, I love cinnamon. I didn't really get the difference between Sultan and Sultan Al Oud from your description. Which would you guys say is a good oud by Al Rehab for a non-connoisseur? And, would you go for the oils instead of the alcohol sprays?
    I will go for oils and I am not an Oud expert as well. Try others that have not been tried yet apart from the ones that you like - Silver, Aseel etc.
    S

Emlynevermore, the next closest one I've tried that fits this description is Amber Rose - it's extremely Montale-esque! Actually, I think it's one of their most recent releases.

d4N13L, good to hear you're enjoying your purchases but you've really got your work cut out. Only last week, I discovered another 15 or so lesser known Al-Rehabs both on-line and in some local shops. It's now becoming very overwhelming (especially knowing that at least half of them will be sub-par).

After wearing these a bit more, my current top three favourites are Aseel, Amber Rose and Soft (which is a budget-priced version of Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo).
    'Soft (which is a budget-priced version of Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo)@- is it not meant for women?
    S

Soft (which is a budget-priced version of Profumum's Dulcis in Fundo)- is this not meant for women?

Rasha, Soft and Golden are meant for women.
    Al fares, Station and Zidan -all are very nice.
    Secret man is exotic and intense- didn't like this one much.
    Khaliji doesn't have great longevity.
    Dehl al oud becomes nice after an hour of application- might be good for winter.
    All are quite distinct and will differentiate from the crowd.
    Last edited by saurya_s; 18th June 2011 at 01:10 PM.

These fragrances are easily found in Pakistani/Indian stores ( behind the cashier area) and Islamic book stores.
    Shaikha smells like Tom Ford Oudh but after few hours becomes a very strong cloying amber, but has the initial smell of indian rice pudding ( saffron and cardamom) .
    Fares smells EXACTLY like Eternity lol , which I hate.
    Dehn al Oudh smells very similar to Le Labo Oudh 27 its shocking, this is not the sweet Cambodian Oudh , more of the classical Indian Assamese oudh , with that animalic note .
    Khaliji does smells very similar to what Le Labo Rose smells like .

In London it is easy to find Al-Rehab fragrances although there is one perfume which I am looking for. It is called Sana'a by Al-Rehab I can honestly say that I don't think I have fallen in love with a perfume as much as this one. No doubt it is the memories relating to the smell which make me love it so much but it truly just smells great. I can find it anywhere though, does anyone no where to find Sana'a ? I have checked Al-Rehab's website and it does not seem to be on there. It is a 50ml Eau De Parfum and if anyone has seen it I recomend you buy it! If anyone does find it please let me know!!!

I can upload a picture of the empty bottle I have if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by saurya_s View Post
    Rasha, Soft and Golden are meant for women.
    Not necessarily. It's for people who like them and feel comfortable wearing them - male or female. Gender designation is marketing BS.