Code of Conduct

Question A scent for job interviews. I need expert advice!

I am going to an interview today and will be wearing Amberene. I have applied at many places however, and would like to hear success (or failure) stories that have to do with what scent you were wearing. Along with the Amberene I have applied a few swipes of male pheromone, just in case the manager is gay or the manager is a lady. Certainly not enough to smell funky, but it really does add a bit of flair to whatever you're wearing. Thanks guys and ladies!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A scent for job interviews. I need expert advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Along with the Amberene I have applied a few swipes of male pheromone, just in case the manager is gay...
    I would be judging you based on your shoes. So don't wear Rockports.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would be judging you based on your shoes. So don't wear Rockports.
    I have some casual/dressy black shoes that would work just fine I think. I've worn them a lot and they are still in great shape. They are made in England.

Post Thanks / Like

when in doubt... leave out. I either go scentless, or a light spritze of Hermes Orange Vert.

Focus on being the kind of person they want to talk to again.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    when in doubt... leave out. I either go scentless, or a light spritze of Hermes Orange Vert.

Focus on being the kind of person they want to talk to again.
    To my nose, it seems I have applied just a touch of fragrance, since it was in a sample vial and I definitely didn't pour it on me. I can just imagine an interview where the person wears 10 spritzes of Joop! That is utter disaster waiting to happen. Plus, I am an easy person to get along with and don't have attitudes that some men of my...orientation have. Hence the use of pheromones, hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really suggest you go scentless, you have no idea if your cologne might offend someone. Someone might have sensitive nose. So best to just shower and wear deodorant. Look presentable, shaved, combed, clothes don't look wrinkle and shine your shoes.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Thanks to one and all. It seems that as far as scent goes, being clean, shiny, and personable is best, rather than being a stink bomb. My fragrance is covered completely by my clothes, so it should translate into minimal sillage. Now I'm worried about my shaved head. It's certainly much cheaper in the long run than frequent visits to Sweeney Todd's place. He costs an arm and a leg, so to speak.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree on going scentless so as not to offend. You got to go with what makes you feel confident. Let's be honest here: if you didn't get hired simply b/c somebody didn't like your cologne, not sure I would want to work at a place that scrutinized me that closely over basically an irrelevant item to qualifications.

HR people make decions all the time on silly predjudices....I would just be you and let the chips fall where they may (obviously, I'm not talking grossly unprofessional personal characteristics, within reason)

My personal choice would be Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Good luck!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think that my ability to do the job would have considerably more bearing on the situation than the fragrance I was wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I'd like to think that my ability to do the job would have considerably more bearing on the situation than the fragrance I was wearing.
    So true. What's the use of all the outside trappings of beauty (which I don't have) if my head is filled with no more than hot air?

I'd barely apply to the wrists, if any at all. Rive Gauche pour homme.

DeepSilence

A floral masculine scent : Opium

Post Thanks / Like

TF Grey Vetiver. Power suit. Power perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

If a scent bolsters your confidence then wear it at a strength appropriate for an interview. You are being hired for your abilities and personality, not your smell. Focus on what's important.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Post Thanks / Like

Ivory soap

Post Thanks / Like

Scent free deodorant.

Post Thanks / Like

-- A fragrance should be right for the man, not for the job.

I don't wear fragrance to an interview. Is anyone here from HR? What are your thoughts. I will be having more interviews coming up soon too.

What pheromone did you wear? I would suggest against something that is used to attract females..they are usually heavy with anon which can actually anger most males. I suggest using one called a314. It was practically formulated for business use.

Gucci Pour Homme 1. 3 sprays on the front of the neck. 2 sprays on the back of your neck. 2 sprays on the chest(inside shirt). 2 sprays on each forearm. 2 sprays on clothes. money!

im kidding. if u do this u will not only lose any chance of getting that job. u will lose the opportunity to get a job anywhere within a 30 mile radius. until it dries down of course

While I consider myself a heavy perfume wearer. One of the few places I'd avoid wearing perfumes for is job interviews. You're getting judged, and people can get very judgmental if they notice you wear perfume. Though if you have to, I'll recommend something light, clean, soapy. Basically just smell clean, like you just had a fresh shower. Mugler Cologne comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme 1. 3 sprays on the front of the neck. 2 sprays on the back of your neck. 2 sprays on the chest(inside shirt). 2 sprays on each forearm. 2 sprays on clothes. money!

im kidding. if u do this u will not only lose any chance of getting that job. u will lose the opportunity to get a job anywhere within a 30 mile radius. until it dries down of course
    Lol..i was like wtf until I scrolled down. I interview people as part of my job and actually had somebody come in who had to have put on no less than 30 sprays of some cheapo "fresh" scent. I swear to you, we could smell it in the interview room the day after.

I also agree that your safest choice would be to go scentless. At most use a scented body wash or deodorant. You never know what a person is allergic to or what type of memories are tied to a specific smell/note.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a light classic lemon/vetiver style scent.

Though I see many recommend that one should not wear cologne, if you are use to wearing cologne daily, then not wearing it may actually affect your confidence. I think that spritz or two of your most formal fragrance is always the icing on the cake as far as making one FEEL like the millions bucks you will need to feel like to confidently shake hands with that interviewer and nail the interview. Me personally, I have always worn cologne on interviews, but nothing loud, and not as generously applied as normal. For a while, my go to scent for interviews was Burberry Brit. I just felt really polished in it. Now, it would probably be Amouage Reflection. I would probably do one to a wrist and share it, and then one on my hand and spread it around my neck. Probably not a lot more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings on how to weigh in. I can agree with either side.

At my age and with the years in this hobby, I doubt I could abstain. But I would certainly wear whatever I perceive to be my most neutral, least likely to offend scent...and wear it very lightly.

The argument against is also good. WE all love frags. But a lot of people loathe them. Some men find it incredibly feminine. With any interviewer, they may have their own unwritten rules that noticeable fragrance crosses some kind of line for them.

Like all of you, I wear frags to work all the time. My boss frequently makes comments. He is very PC and says nothing pointed, but at this point, if he comments, he's saying he doesn't like it or thinks I hit it too hard. It doesn't matter that I love the scent, or that others like it on me. If he was interviewing me on one of those days, it would be a negative.

Wear whatever makes you feel confident and polished, but apply it before you leave the house, and stick to two sprays or less. "But you don't understand! My skin chemistry blah blah blah"...no. It's there. We can smell it just fine. This is not the time to be wafting huge sillage. You want a sheer, discreet aura of scent around your immediate self, detectable only in close quarters, the perfect bit of spit-polish on a crisp, professional look. Nothing sickly sweet, either - leave the Givenchy Pi and Le MÔle on the shelf.

On second thought, just wear deodorant. Or Mugler Cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was graduating college, there was a young lady in my class who did a senior project on a certain subject that was of great interst to her. She really did a good job on it and it even got published in a minor journal. She was also a very good student all-around.

A certain company sent two managers to campus to conduct on-campus interviews with some students not including this lady. At the end of the day, as they were preparing to leave, they talked to our outplacment office director and lamented that they hadn't seen a single candidate for this one position they were looking for. They handed the requisition to the outplacement director and she exclaimed, "You should have sent this to me before you came! I have this exact person!" and she brought out this lady's file including a copy of her paper and resume and everything. It was a hand-in-glove fit. But their flight was leaving shortly and they had no time left. So, they took a copy of the file with them. The next day, they called this young lady and interviewed her a bit by phone but it was plain to see that they needed to have an on-site interview with her immediately. So, a flight was arranged and she flew out for a full day of interviews. Half way through the hour with the first manager, he was agressively selling her on the job. Half way through the hour with the second manager, he was agressively selling her too. She was perfect! All that was left was for her to equally wow the third hiring manager.

About ten minutes into the interview, he ran out of his office leaving her alone there. She assumed that maybe he had a contact lense problem since he had suddenly teared up and was covering his face. She assumed he'd get it fixed and be right back. But, he did not come back. After some time, she flagged someone down in the hall and they called one of the other two managers. They paged for the third manager (this was before everyone had a cell phone, you know). Finally, they called the reception desk and the receptionist told them that the third manager had fled the building without even signing out and had gotten into his car and sped away and had not returned. Eventually, they found him at home.

What happened?

The third manager had been tragically widowed just a few months earlier. The young lady had elected to wear for her interviews the perfume which had been the third manager's late wife's favorite and the emotion it triggered was just too much for him.

A few days later, the third manager, having collected himself, finished his interview by telephone and agreed that she was the perfect candidate and she was eagerly hired.

Our campus outplacement director kept the bottle of perfume (abandoned to her by the young graduate) on a shelf in her office as a warning to all against wearing any strong fragrance for an interview. You just can't predict how others will react.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, whether or not to wear any fragrance and, if so, what and how much depends very much on what position you are interviewing for and where.

If you're going for a reception position at an alergy clinic... probably better not wear much of anything.

If you're interviewing for a design desk at a fashion house, better wear something very good.

Interesting story Gollnick. But I'm still wearing my cologne! lol

Post Thanks / Like

go smelling like money
    Wall Street they know you mean business
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You've gotta wear a light amount of something that's already light. Mugler Cologne may be a good choice here