Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I have a MAJOR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I don't know if you are married or not (it sounds like you are not). Make sure you get the expensive, good stuff you want now, because when you settle down and get married, have kids, and all that - the party ends. My wife tries to totally keep me in check. If I spent what you just did in two days, I'd have to sleep at work for about a month. Mama rules the roost and don't you forget it.
    Well said JB. I'd be sleeping at work too. I bought a lot when I first started in this hobby too, but nowhere near the price range or short duration as Mistawho here. I've slowed WAY down on my purchases, especially full bottle purchases. I'm appeasing myself with sample and decant purchases and swaps instead. Way easier on the wallet that way.

You're new and have discovered this brave new world of scent. As gupts said, there is a tendency to try to buy a lot at once.

After about 6 months, I slowed down and became more selective.

Wear the Kenzo in rehab. Use the rest to keep away the street people.

Seriously, quit spending foolishly- There is no reason for it. Snap out of it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

When I first starting looking for new frags to get away from a single scent I wore for about 8-10 years I thought I'd be lucky to find 2-3 that I'd enjoy wearing. Now with 30+ different varieties in possession and probably about another dozen on my wish list I really am surprised there's this many I like.

I can already see the slowing down of my accumulation as there are fewer things out there I want or don't already have a very similar frag to compare to it. I've already started swapping bottles of things not in my rotation for things that will be in it. I just love having all the different varieties to choose from but don't really feel that compulsive need to buy for the sake of buying.

By nature humans are obsessive creatures. It's what makes us so inventive, creative, industrious and adaptive. It helps if you can find an outlet for this behavior that has minimal amount of negative impact on life in general.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

<== See that jar under my name?
    Take one of those pills... they are Perfume Suppressors...

And watch this movie:

I think you're headed in the right direction. Variety in your wardobe is a wonderful thing. As StylinLA said, after you've splurged for a while, your purchasing habits will (most likely) become very selective. Enjoy wearing your new and future purchases, and always remember the words of a very wise Basenoter:

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    We at BaseNotes are always here to make you feel more at peace with yourself as your addiction worsens ;o)

Yes, we all started somewhere. Most went through periods of trying to get it all at once. The good news is, once you have it all, you can't buy any more. However, on you can decide what "all" is. Be careful, grasshopper, limit yourself to two a week or some such restriction to help you maintain your sanity.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Zizonia by Penhaligon's

You really should look into buying decants to satisfy your need to own a bunch of fragrances. It really is too bad we're not allowed to sell them here anymore.
    Here is a good site to get decants at good prices, most are Basenotes members

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewforum....bb060cf31ee07a

Its only a problem if you are buying this stuff but cant afford it , otherwise ignore the Mickey Mouse psychology and enjoy your new smells

I tend not to splurge, I just buy at a steady rate. My collection is maybe 20 short of 200 bottles and I don't regret that collection size one iota, I enjoy the pleasure of opening my double cupboard and seeing a large array of bottles, giving me full choice depending on mood, attire, weather and occasion.

Unless you're getting yourself in to serious trouble, then just enjoy your hobby.

As it says on my profile on Facebook: Some people do drugs, I just smell nice.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I had done a good job in slowing down, but I have gotten out of hand again. I'm averaging a new bottle every week. Insane.

I can afford it, but it's just stupid. I own about 30 full bottles. I have $30 in paypal, which I intend to spend on cologne. After that I resolve to buy no more until Christmas. I don't have to stop, but I want to do it for my own satisfaction. I need to show myself some discipline.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

So here it is again... That bloody craving of mine. I want those perfumes so badly. My heart says "GO FOR IT!" but my mind says "TAKE A LOOK IN YOUR WALLET! DONT DO IT FOR HEAVENS SAKE!". This is a delightful, but expensive hobby. In the end of my life I could probably say to myself: "You could've bought 20 cars or a private jet for those money. Or made an all around the world trip. Or purchased the original painting The Scream by Edward Munch." LOL