Code of Conduct

Default I have a MAJOR problem.

Guys....

I have an addiction and I think its worst then being addicted to crack.

The past 2 days I have bought the follow.

Amouage Reflection
    Creed Aventus
    Creed MI
    John Varvatos Artisan
    Kenzo Power
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    YSL La Nuit.

ALL around the 4oz bottle size! Yes... i know.... I can't stop... My friends and family are trying to do a intervention.

Dependent

Default Re: I have a MAJOR problem.

Time to check into http://www.basenotes.net/forums/12-E...e-Abuse-Clinic

"My name is ___________, and I'm a/an ______________"

We're here to help you. :-)

What do you mean you've got a problem? You've got Reflection. All your problems are solved!

Seriously though, you picked up a lot of good frags. Now, just take some time to enjoy your new purchases and see what you love and also don't like so much about each, and then you can refine your search for future frags. And be sure to sample sample sample. There's no rush!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

We at BaseNotes are always here to make you feel more at peace with yourself as your addiction worsens ;o)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I know! Amouage Reflection is soooo delicious. The boxing and package is soo beautiful. Better then Creeds boxing i think! Just so you know that list was what i bought the past 2 days. I didn't mention what i bought the past 2 months. HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    Guys....

Amouage Reflection
    Creed Aventus
    Creed MI
    John Varvatos Artisan
    Kenzo Power
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    YSL La Nuit.

ALL around the 4oz bottle size! Yes... i know.... I can't stop... My friends and family are trying to do a intervention.
    You dropped some serious dough. Are you Bipolar by any chance? Creed Vintage Tabarome and Windsor are being released next month in limited numbers - you might as well get some flacons while you're on this spree.

DeepSilence

So stop buying 4 oz bottle size !!! If you like to change your fragrance, or test many fragrances, you don't need to 4 Oz of one fragrance

You're not alone. It seems like there are many other Basenoters that spend even more on fragrances. But two Creed's and one Amouage. Man... You would get six bottles for that price. lol

People spend too much money on things all the time.
    Are you really asking for help or just doing some thinly disguised bragging?

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

stop looking to buy new things. If you cruise the mall, walk into a shop, etc, you're there to buy something, and they're there to sell you something. So just don't go to the mall! Same goes for online. Don't come on basenotes, don't go to ebay or discounters, just avoid these sites for a few weeks. Most people do and they're just fine.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I don't know if you are married or not (it sounds like you are not). Make sure you get the expensive, good stuff you want now, because when you settle down and get married, have kids, and all that - the party ends. My wife tries to totally keep me in check. If I spent what you just did in two days, I'd have to sleep at work for about a month. Mama rules the roost and don't you forget it.

Wait until you start plannning lunch breaks around going to smell more fragrances. Here at BN, people probably look at the list and will encourage you to go get ones you missed
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

I've pretty much stopped buying big bottles. I have a tendency to love a fragrance then it quickly falls from grace for me. Atleast with a smaller bottler i didnt spend too much and if i do use the whole bottle, which i've yet to do, i'll just replace it with a bigger bottle. I know i will be buying a 3.4oz of A*Men when my 1.7oz runs out as its the one fragrance thats always held my attention. Hanae Mori is becoming another favorite of mine, and its cheap enough where a 3.4oz isnt a big deal

You've gotta KNOW you'll use the 4oz before you spend the money on the 4oz

Weird, i dont see a problem here...........
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I have the same problem as you. BUT, it's a hobby and a creative endeavor that is kind of fun. I console myself with the assurance that I am not addicted to other more costly impulse purchasing habits of collecting such as . . . . sports cars (done that), boats, second or third homes, airplanes, hand made shoes, collectible watches, jewelry, baseball cards, or cocaine. This one is relatively harmless.

Basenotes Institution

Sit back ,relax and enjoy the ride..... you ain't getting off anytime soon ! May as well enjoy it all !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Well, you're a collector. A collector has a different paradigm that they are working within. If you were not a collector, then all those bottles would be an issue. See the distinction. I am an audiophile and have more amps and pre-amps around the house than I really need - but it's all part of the joy of the hobby.

I think bottles are mostly are unnecessary. I don't actually own that many of them, and most of mine are rather inexpensive staples. I try to think of this hobby in terms of collecting smells, not bottles. For this purpose, samples and decants are just fine. They take up less space, and I'll never use them all anyway.

If I get a 5ml decant, it will take me well over a year to use up, as many decants as I have. If I run out, I'll just buy another $5 decant. That's 2-3 years of smell experience for about $10, as opposed to buying a bottle for $60+, and probably getting sick of it. I'm down to about one bottle purchase per year at this point, and I'm fine with that. My ego is not damaged. I have other hobbies where such flexibility isn't an option. You can't decant a pair of skis and get the same experience from them.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Some of you guys seem to be taking this wayyyy too lightly. If that's what OP spent in 2 days with money he can't afford to blow then it is one helluva problem. Mistawho, perhaps you need to level with us - why do YOU think this is a major problem?

I'm with LiveJazz on this score - decants are the best, most flexible way to go about this hobby. Having 5-10ml decants of my favorite 20-30 fragrances is enough to keep me smelling great for every occasion for 1-2 years! And leave me with enough cash to splurge on other nice stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    People spend too much money on things all the time.
    Are you really asking for help or just doing some thinly disguised bragging?

-Slim
    A little bit of both! haha. I think i'm going to take it easy for right now Going to enjoy some of my current frags. I'll hold off on purchasing more until December atleast

Looks like you made some really good purchases though. Reflection and MI are both very good fragrances. And the others aren't bad either. On Wednesday, I bought two fragrances, totalling almost $200. Now I have a lot of things that I could and SHOULD HAVE spent my money on. Credit card debt, school debt, etc etc. But I dunno...it's almost therapeutic to hit that PURCHASE tab on that special fragrance, and sit in anxious anticipation for the its arrival in the mail. Nothing like it!

If you're looking for enablers you've come to the right spot!

Check out the vintage YSL frags - Rive Gauche, Pour Homme, Kouros, Body Kouros, Live Jazz, M7, Opium. They're all around $35 and they're just as great as many niche perfumes. Lots of bang for the buck. A more affordable way to scratch that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    Guys....

Amouage Reflection
    Creed Aventus
    Creed MI
    John Varvatos Artisan
    Kenzo Power
    Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    YSL La Nuit.

I know how you feel, I just got my Aventus at Neiman in Bellevue and now hunting for my next Creed and Amouage fragrances. Where did you find your Aventus?

Forza, i got my Aventus from Parfumerie Nasreen in downtown seattle. Go check it out there. They have a HUGE collection of niche colognes. All the BOND 9s, Amouage, and Creeds. Go check it out!

I have been there once a while ago, but that was before I started liking the more refined colognes, so I'll definitely pay her a visit soon. What did she charge for Aventus if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly, if you REALLY REALLY can't control how many fragrances you purchase, buy the smallest size/mini's/decants. But that only reduces and doesn't solves...I mean, not much else can be said than treated like every other addiction, or rather Obsession. You'll grow out of it, actually you might absolutely stop caring about it if you go at a too fast pace. That's really a lot of fragrance to buy in two days....how are you even going to enjoy them?

So the obvious question is: Can you afford all of this? By the fact that you're family is intervening, I'm not sure that you can. I agree with LiveJazz...Just forget about bottles and get decants. When you finish, say, two 5 or 10 ml decants, then you know you love that fragrance and should buy it one day, but this is probably going to be rare. Don't forget about bottle splits.

If this is a serious problem, you need to either return a few bottles, or sell them for a slight loss on Ebay or here.

It's not unusual for a lot of us to buy several bottles in a short span of time. I think it's a momentary phase that one goes through as a basenoter. I remember, there was a time when I was getting atleast one package containing perfume bottle(s), everyday. At some point later, I realized that I was into a lot of trouble with over 300 bottles (full size) staring at me. The sad part was that I wasn't wearing a lot of them (how can you?). Finally sense prevailed over me & the cull began.

So I am sure you are just at a point in your journey where prolific acquisitions is the norm. If you can afford to spend all that money, there isn't much to worry. However it's good if you can exercise restraint and take the decant route. Once you exhaust your decant you would then know if you need a full size bottle. If you do, then go get it. That way you are not burdened with a huge fragrance wardrobe, you get diversity and last but not least, save money too.

Gupts is spot on. From my own experience, I have been through the buying phase, only to realise that some of my purchases were unlikely to be worn or that I had grown bored with them. Consequently, they were sold on, and I have a manageable 20 odd frags in my wardrobe now.

I've sampled hundreds of frags, and funnily enough, I'm sort of back where I started, with Creed, Aramis and Penhaligons forming about 2/3 of my wardrobe. How strange is that? If I'm honest, I've hit the boredom stage and perhaps a break is needed.

To the OP, in all likelihood the buying phase will subside. If you're still shelling out like mad in a few months, that's the time to start worrying.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I don't know if you are married or not (it sounds like you are not). Make sure you get the expensive, good stuff you want now, because when you settle down and get married, have kids, and all that - the party ends. My wife tries to totally keep me in check. If I spent what you just did in two days, I'd have to sleep at work for about a month. Mama rules the roost and don't you forget it.
    Well said JB. I'd be sleeping at work too. I bought a lot when I first started in this hobby too, but nowhere near the price range or short duration as Mistawho here. I've slowed WAY down on my purchases, especially full bottle purchases. I'm appeasing myself with sample and decant purchases and swaps instead. Way easier on the wallet that way.

You're new and have discovered this brave new world of scent. As gupts said, there is a tendency to try to buy a lot at once.

After about 6 months, I slowed down and became more selective.

Wear the Kenzo in rehab. Use the rest to keep away the street people.

Seriously, quit spending foolishly- There is no reason for it. Snap out of it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

When I first starting looking for new frags to get away from a single scent I wore for about 8-10 years I thought I'd be lucky to find 2-3 that I'd enjoy wearing. Now with 30+ different varieties in possession and probably about another dozen on my wish list I really am surprised there's this many I like.

I can already see the slowing down of my accumulation as there are fewer things out there I want or don't already have a very similar frag to compare to it. I've already started swapping bottles of things not in my rotation for things that will be in it. I just love having all the different varieties to choose from but don't really feel that compulsive need to buy for the sake of buying.

By nature humans are obsessive creatures. It's what makes us so inventive, creative, industrious and adaptive. It helps if you can find an outlet for this behavior that has minimal amount of negative impact on life in general.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

<== See that jar under my name?
    Take one of those pills... they are Perfume Suppressors...

And watch this movie:

I think you're headed in the right direction. Variety in your wardobe is a wonderful thing. As StylinLA said, after you've splurged for a while, your purchasing habits will (most likely) become very selective. Enjoy wearing your new and future purchases, and always remember the words of a very wise Basenoter:

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    We at BaseNotes are always here to make you feel more at peace with yourself as your addiction worsens ;o)

Yes, we all started somewhere. Most went through periods of trying to get it all at once. The good news is, once you have it all, you can't buy any more. However, on you can decide what "all" is. Be careful, grasshopper, limit yourself to two a week or some such restriction to help you maintain your sanity.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

You really should look into buying decants to satisfy your need to own a bunch of fragrances. It really is too bad we're not allowed to sell them here anymore.
    Here is a good site to get decants at good prices, most are Basenotes members

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewforum....bb060cf31ee07a

Its only a problem if you are buying this stuff but cant afford it , otherwise ignore the Mickey Mouse psychology and enjoy your new smells

I tend not to splurge, I just buy at a steady rate. My collection is maybe 20 short of 200 bottles and I don't regret that collection size one iota, I enjoy the pleasure of opening my double cupboard and seeing a large array of bottles, giving me full choice depending on mood, attire, weather and occasion.

Unless you're getting yourself in to serious trouble, then just enjoy your hobby.

As it says on my profile on Facebook: Some people do drugs, I just smell nice.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I had done a good job in slowing down, but I have gotten out of hand again. I'm averaging a new bottle every week. Insane.

I can afford it, but it's just stupid. I own about 30 full bottles. I have $30 in paypal, which I intend to spend on cologne. After that I resolve to buy no more until Christmas. I don't have to stop, but I want to do it for my own satisfaction. I need to show myself some discipline.

So here it is again... That bloody craving of mine. I want those perfumes so badly. My heart says "GO FOR IT!" but my mind says "TAKE A LOOK IN YOUR WALLET! DONT DO IT FOR HEAVENS SAKE!". This is a delightful, but expensive hobby. In the end of my life I could probably say to myself: "You could've bought 20 cars or a private jet for those money. Or made an all around the world trip. Or purchased the original painting The Scream by Edward Munch." LOL