Code of Conduct

Default The Return of the Plaid Button Down Shirt

It was early 1992, and a new band had hit the airwaves - Nirvana. Within months, the western world had gone "Grunge". Plaid was the fad. Kurt wore it, so did all of the cool Seattle bands. Even Joan Rivers wore it in jest. After Grunge died out, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing the plaid flannel.

Fast forward 18 years and plaid is the fad once again. The jeans aren't torn at the knees anymore, instead they're skin tight ("mantyhose", I call them) and haven't been washed in 6 months so the fade will be "sick" when they finally make it to the washer. "Epic".

I heard you shouldn't wear something if it's the second time in your life that it's gone back in style. Thoughts??

Then

Now
    Last edited by adonis; 8th October 2010 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: The Return of the Plaid Button Down Shirt

Depends on what's back in style...

But in general, the trendier styles are likely to date and age you if you are old enough to have worn them in the past. Not to mention that they probably make people suspect that you're really a dinosaur, that you're hanging on to the past and just happen to be in style by a fluke.

But a plaid flannel shirt? Seems like a basic to me, something that anyone can wear.

Indeed, I can only welcome the return of this trend, since I enjoy the plaid pattern even beyond the button down shirt and the world of fashion in general, as I even like this pattern in home decorations

Glenplaid, the gentleman's plad. Never goes out of style either.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I agree. I've always worn plaid, but not necessarily flannel.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have had since my pre-teen years (just barely post-Jurassic) at least one plaid button down shirt in my wardrobe.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, I used to rock those plaid shirts in the early 1990s. Kinda miss them - so good to see them back! But while the plaids are indeed back, it is accompanied by sharper cuts, thinner fabrics and slimmer silhouettes. So those baggy plaid flannel shirts from the '90s may not make the transition after all.

The button down plaid shirt now needs a Street Bob or Forty Eight underneath the wearer to be correct, however, if Harley Davidson's marketing is to be believed.

The gunge look never truly left the PacNW. It just shifted from Nirvana types to skateboarders and now to Harley drivers under the age of 40.

Plaid has never gone out of style but flannel has
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I think that id you're wearing quality, newly purchased clothing in a current cut, you won't look like a dinosaur try hard. That said, the flannel shirt has had it's day (again) and will probably be less and less prevalent starting this spring.