Code of Conduct

Thread: Crowd pleasers

Default Crowd pleasers

Term crowd pleaser (or safe scent) is often used on this board usually as a bad thing. According to that, many safe scents smells similiar and usually won't get you much attention.. but.. which concrete fragrances are this (safe) crowd pleasers? I mean something that wont make you necessary unique but smells so OK that almost NONE will be offended by this and you can wear it anywhere without fear of attacking personal space of someone with scent that they may hate.

Please post your list of such crowd pleasers with small description. I'd prefer to see names of your favourites especially those less synthetic smelling.

I will list few examples of what I think that are and few that definitely are NOT crowd pleasers. This are love/hate fragrances.

Examples of fragrances that I think that are crowd pleasers: bleu de chanel, eternity
    Examples of fragrances that I think that are not crowd pleasers: a*men, body kouros, dior homme

So what is your list of crowd pleasers/safe scents?
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Default Re: Crowd pleasers

Gendarme

Dependent

Realistically, crowd-pleasers are an essential in every collection. They are for mine. Here are some of my then and now favorites:

Mugler Cologne
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme
    Clinique Happy For Men
    CK One
    CK Be
    Silver Mountain Water
    Hugo XY
    NarziB
    Isfarkand
    Guerlain Homme

I believe there are more that I enjoy as well, but they're just not registering at the moment.

um, just look at the list of top sellers?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    um, just look at the list of top sellers?
    I dont think that bestseller automaticaly means crowd pleaser. Look at Le Male for example. It is bestseller but more of love/hate fragrance and I know plenty of people that hate it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I dont think that bestseller automaticaly means crowd pleaser. Look at Le Male for example. It is bestseller but more of love/hate fragrance and I know plenty of people that hate it.
    absolutely, i for one cant stand it, and here in London its quite popular, if i smell someone with it i tend to respectfully shuffle a few feet away from them.

Chanel Allure homme.

I'd argue that there is a larger number of people who DO like it, hence people keep buying and using it. The people who hate le male are more likely to voice their opinion and band together.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Surprised that you mentioned Body Kouros as a good fragrance that is not a crowd pleaser.

I think Le Male is an ultimate crowd pleaser, the only people who dislike it are those who have been saturated by the smell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Surprised that you mentioned Body Kouros as a good fragrance that is not a crowd pleaser.

I think Le Male is an ultimate crowd pleaser, the only people who dislike it are those who have been saturated by the smell of it.
    But we've all been saturated in it. :P

I quite dislike it and never understood it...as a smeller on others or a wearer. To me it is a sweetness mixed with a horrible bug spray/antiseptic smell that I find repulsive.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 8th October 2010 at 09:35 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Gendarme
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Realistically, crowd-pleasers are an essential in every collection. They are for mine. Here are some of my then and now favorites:

Mugler Cologne
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme
    Clinique Happy For Men
    CK One
    CK Be
    Silver Mountain Water
    Hugo XY
    NarziB
    Isfarkand
    Guerlain Homme

I believe there are more that I enjoy as well, but they're just not registering at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Chanel Allure homme.
    Thank you for posting on topic I have to agree with majority of frags listed.

I have to disagree on this one. Body Kouros is excellent fragrance, but it is so strange and powerfull that many non basenoters will find it offending and heavy. Same with Le Male. I asked few people in my office if they like it (Le Male) and all of them said that it is too heavy for them to wear..

Crowd pleaser to me is fragrance that atleast 8 of 10 people will give neutral feedback at worst when you ask them with majority inclined to positive feedback.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I can't imagine a lot of people disliking the popular Armani fragrances, that is: Acqua di Gio, Armani Code and Armani He.
    Acqua di Giň is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

acqua di gio, armani code, big assed yawn.

I don't and probably will never own Le Male, for it's waaay too popular. But I have to admit that Le Male is easily one of the most pleasant fragrances I have ever smelled. I don't know what how or why it could be faulted. Too sweet? C'mon. It's a fresh and sweet spicy fragrance that is very pleasant to smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I don't and probably will never own Le Male, for it's waaay too popular. But I have to admit that Le Male is easily one of the most pleasant fragrances I have ever smelled. I don't know what how or why it could be faulted. Too sweet? C'mon. It's a fresh and sweet spicy fragrance that is very pleasant to smell.
    I have a botte of it, once i run out of it , probably will never buy again, but it does smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    So what is your list of crowd pleasers/safe scents?
    Just about anything by Dana

I recently purchased aqua di gio and le male for the sole purpose of being a safe scent. I don't think you can go wrong when using them in moderation of course.

I agree about Aqua Di Gio....I would say Creed MI would be the prototypical crowd pleaser....I would find it suprising most people not at least find it pleasant

I guess in more discriminating circles of fragrance lovers the idea of 'crowd pleasers' might be met with disdain for the commercial offerings that fill the market for that. Although the stampede into Pure Malt or GIT worship by posters here shows that the heard mentality isn't something exclusive to just the unwashed masses! I guess it just depends on what crowd you are trying to please...
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Ed Hardy's Man, Love and Luck, Hearts and Daggers. I only wear them because its very pleasant =]

surprised nobody mentioned terre d'hermes yet. also l'eau d' issey

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by alvinnjoinerIV View Post
    also l'eau d' issey
    Yeah... I was thinking of including this, I used to swear by it. I wore it daily for over a year, but now I just find it a little harsh, almost plastic-y even. That's why it struck it off. I used to love it, I just don't feel it is that "safe" now. It is popular I'd bet, so it might qualify as a crowd-pleaser.

My safe scents are Paul Smith for Men and Essential, but I wouldn't call them crowd pleasers - the crowd barely notice I have anything on with these 2. What I get complements on is Brit for Men, along with the occasional "that's a bit girly for a bloke" comment from other men.

Greed Irish Tweed by Creed & Black Aoud by Montale gets the most compliments in my wardrobe.

DeepSilence

Burberry London
    Kenzo Power
    Creed SMW
    Acqua Di Gio
    Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme