Code of Conduct

Default The history of your favorite fragrance.

A couple days ago I went with Fahrenheit for my scent of the day; I hadn't worn it in some time, so when I did put it on, it was that much more special. Then I asked myself.. how long has Fahrenheit been my favorite, my number one, my everything. So I looked through my wardrobe on here which is pretty up to date for the most part, although many frags aren't in the directory. So I'm looking, and reminiscing.

Here's what I came up with.

My first all time number one favorite fragrance ever was Eternity by CK. That was eventually replaced with Fahrenheit, then 2006 came along and I got hooked on Just Me by Paris Hilton, and pushed all my other bottles to the side then and wore Just Me religiously (which I hate now lol). Though it was neck and neck with Fahrenheit the whole time. some other names that came close to replacing it in recent years: Corduroy, Paul Smith London, Cuba Gold. They all tried, but failed.

I don't see Fahrenheit ever being replaced really, it's too much of a character. It's fresh yet dirty, sort of like me, I look dirty with my scrubby beard, but I smell clean, and have good hygiene. It's unique and intriguing like myself. It's my soul mate.

So, what's your story, and the history behind it?

Default Re: The history of your favorite fragrance.

My favorite fragrance is Bois du Portugal. I was reading the reviews of it and people saying it smelled like something James Bond would wear and I knew I had to try it on. On spring break at Saks I went to spray it on my hand and it was so strong that I had no interest in it at the time. I looked at some other Creeds that smelled nice but was still undecided and bought Pure malt. As i had lunch with my family i smelled bdp on my hand again, and again, later on this kept happening and I fell in love with this fragrance it was so rich, woody and masculine. It lasted all through the day, night and the morning after I knew I had to have this fragrance. Still is my favorite, I do not use it a lot because it is very strong but when I do wear it, wow.

Blog Entries

Ahhh my A*Men story..

my first cologne was True from American Eagle. It was nice, it smelled good but i got bored. so i asked a few lady friends and they turned me on to the PacSun colognes, specifically Vurt Green. From there i got Jake and SoCal from hollister, Fierce from Abercrombie, and a bunch of cheap stuff from Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Then I found youtube reviews, tried a bunch of stuff discussed in the reviews, bought a few here and there...then along came A*Men. It was described as everything I ever wanted in a fragrance: chocolate, vanilla, caramel...sounded perfect. I tried it...and I wanted to rip my nose out. It gave me the worst headache and I wrote it off as horrible. A few fragrances later, specifically Le Male being my favorite, I tried A*Men again. It still gave me a headache, but not as...debilitating as the first time. I got a sample and all I could smell was patchouli, nothing gourmand. Despite this I kept smelling it, testing it, and loving it with no idea why. I finally bought a 1.7oz bottle because I could not stop testing it an wanting to figure out why people liked it. From there it just grew and grew on me. At this point its definitely my favorite fragrance i've ever smelled and I can finally pick up on the gourmand notes. A*Men is the one bottle I will always have, and if its discontinued ever, I WILL be buying 5 back ups

I halfway expected the crowd-accepted lies that come from the Creed boutique/sales associates. Those bullshit stories offend my ears to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I halfway expected the crowd-accepted lies that come from the Creed boutique/sales associates. Those bullshit stories offend my ears to a new level.
    Considering that they have royal decrees from various countries like Spain, I do not doubt their authenticity but I do feel that some take it too far. Despite that I go for fragrance that i like, and creed has great scents one can dispute everything else but at the end of the day they are a great house. Funny thing is i know more about creed and have tried more creeds than most of the SAs, for me I enjoy the quality of the scents. That's all that matters to me, I know Sean Connery loves habit rouge but just because hs wears it does not mean I have to, I for one do not like hr. I digress, I can understand some people bothered about some things about them but they make great frags and for me it is what it smells like and not the marketing.

I started getting serious about fragrances about fall 2009. I think the first I REALLY loved was Burberry London (though it took a week or two to come round to). Then Live Jazz for the spring. But come the summer, it didn't last too well in the severe heat, so then it was Virgin Island Water. And then Unforgivable Multi Platinum. Right now I don't really have a favourite. Most of my fall/winter fragrances are all really sweet, but I've been getting a hankering for some nice warm woody scents.

I think as your exposure increases, your taste does as well. I mean, at one point, I didn't think there could be anything nicer than Versace Blue Jeans. Now, I've got about half a bottle on my dresser that I don't know what to do with, cuz it just sits there, and I never feel like wearing it. After that though, Burberry classic and Lancome Hypnose became my favorites. Then came the Gucci Pour Homme 2, which I would still consider my favorite, though I don't wear it very often. And to be honest, when I first discovered Heremessence Ambre Narguile, I was really starting to think that the Gucci had been replaced. But truth is-I love them both in different ways. Amouage Reflection is my most formal fragrance, and I probably feel most sophisticated in this one, so it is somewhat more precious to me than the Gucci, especially considering that I don't have an actual bottle but instead have 5 2ml official spray vials of it, so I kinda value the little bit that I have a little more than my other fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    ...I can understand some people bothered about some things about them but they make great frags and for me it is what it smells like and not the marketing.
    When marketing relies on falsehoods, it's just a lie. Cary Grant, Steve McQueen, King Whomever in Whateverstan... it's all a lie. What smells good... smells good. I don't need to know a false history of some Knights of the Templar found this in a cave on Mount Sinai and hand delivered it to Olivier Creed on bent knee in 1760 who had Nostradamus predict that Steve McQueen would wear it on the set of Bullitt and I can purchase that same mystique for $405 per 50mL. If it smells great, I'll buy it because I like it.

It's an accepted pack of falsehoods that I just don't agree with at all. Has nothing to do with the real history, I don't like being lied to and have it wrapped up under the guise of marketing.

I do marketing. We don't resort to false hyperbole (yet) for any of my clients.

That aside... my favorite is Creed Neroli Sauvage. My father was a Bois Du Portugal fan, alongside his mainstay (of all things) Brut. His body chemistry made it smell... well, I remember it fondly. He purchased me a bottle of Green Irish Tweed when I graduated university because of two reasons: one he couldn't locate a BdP bottle for me but liked the GIT enough to buy it so he could steal it from me later. Well, to his surprise, the SA gave him a small 1oz bottle of Neroli Sauvage since he's been a repeat buyer for so long.

He gifted me with both, I tried the GIT, loved it. I tried the NS, my woman at the time loved it; even my own father had to admit "Not bad" - this is a reserved man that never said much more than one word at a time usually. I love citrus frags, kept my father from stealing my GIT (and he tried) and have been a NS fan ever since.

When my father passed, I found a letter he had hand-written to me. Said he was proud of the man I had become and that I had done a great job of hiding my bottle of Neroli Sauvage from him (no joke).

I think the "faux" histories are false advertising. Granted some romantic advertising is expected from a perfume company, but I don't think "legends" really add to the legitimacy of a company.

Creed were tailors in the 18th and 19th centuries:

(This from our own the_good_life)

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

When marketing relies on falsehoods, it's just a lie. Cary Grant, Steve McQueen, King Whomever in Whateverstan... it's all a lie. What smells good... smells good. I don't need to know a false history of some Knights of the Templar found this in a cave on Mount Sinai and hand delivered it to Olivier Creed on bent knee in 1760 who had Nostradamus predict that Steve McQueen would wear it on the set of Bullitt and I can purchase that same mystique for $405 per 50mL. If it smells great, I'll buy it because I like it.

It's an accepted pack of falsehoods that I just don't agree with at all. Has nothing to do with the real history, I don't like being lied to and have it wrapped up under the guise of marketing.

I do marketing. We don't resort to false hyperbole (yet) for any of my clients.

That aside... my favorite is Creed Neroli Sauvage. My father was a Bois Du Portugal fan, alongside his mainstay (of all things) Brut. His body chemistry made it smell... well, I remember it fondly. He purchased me a bottle of Green Irish Tweed when I graduated university because of two reasons: one he couldn't locate a BdP bottle for me but liked the GIT enough to buy it so he could steal it from me later. Well, to his surprise, the SA gave him a small 1oz bottle of Neroli Sauvage since he's been a repeat buyer for so long.

He gifted me with both, I tried the GIT, loved it. I tried the NS, my woman at the time loved it; even my own father had to admit "Not bad" - this is a reserved man that never said much more than one word at a time usually. I love citrus frags, kept my father from stealing my GIT (and he tried) and have been a NS fan ever since.

When my father passed, I found a letter he had hand-written to me. Said he was proud of the man I had become and that I had done a great job of hiding my bottle of Neroli Sauvage from him (no joke).
    This is a great story about your family history and how fragrances played a part in it. These kinds of stories remind me why I love fragrances so much. My own father played a pivotal role in introducing to the world of finer perfumery (and by that I mean designer fragrances ). The first quality fragrance he bought me in high school was Herrera for Men. I have loved it ever since, and I still regard it as an unabated classic. I may not own a bottle right now, but I plan to reinstate it within my collection someday soon. I've been a cologne fiend ever since!

Great thread by the way...

when marketing relies on falsehoods, it's just a lie. Cary grant, steve mcqueen, king whomever in whateverstan... It's all a lie. What smells good... Smells good. i don't need to know a false history of some knights of the templar found this in a cave on mount sinai and hand delivered it to olivier creed on bent knee in 1760 who had nostradamus predict that steve mcqueen would wear it on the set of bullitt and i can purchase that same mystique for $405 per 50ml. if it smells great, i'll buy it because i like it.
    rotfl!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My first favorite was also Eternity....it was what i wore when I was in high school about 15 years ago. Then for several years I didn't really wear much except for the occassionaly gifts from gf's (ex. RL Romance, FCUK Him).....then about 3 years ago, I was out with a guy friend who had on Le Male....liked it and noticed he got compliments from two different smokin hot chicks. Bought a bottle of that....then as I started researching things more, trying new things, I actually stumpled across Chanel Platinum Egosite, Loved it and have had many good nights wearing it since.

It may not always be my favorite, but for some reason, I can't see ever not having it in my rotation.

My first fragrance that i loved and which is started my passion for fragrances was M7. It was 5 years ago, when I was 17. I wanted an adult fragrance for me, which smelled rich, but i didn`t have much money, since at that time i didn`t worked. So I ended finding M7 for a price that fitted what i could pay, but before i bought blindly, i went into a store, asked to smell some fragrances. While I enjoyed Fahrenheit and found Rochas Lui with a vintage aura, which I didn`t liked at that time, I loved the thick aroma of M7. I ended buying it and it was during 2 years my signature fragrance for night. I remember that when i used it at night i could still smell it on the next day. Even now, after 5 years and more than five hundred fragrances tested, I still love it.

Great story Gerbick!

Hated Kouros
    Mocked Kouros
    Bought Kouros
    Loved Kouros