Code of Conduct

Default Someone from Germany - Im trying to buy a beautiful perfume in Germany from the UK - can you help me

Can anyone help me with this very silly and frustrating problem. I have bought the perfume of my dreams from german e-bay and am finding it stupidly difficult to pay them from the UK.

The vendor doesn't accept paypal.
    It costs £25 to send an IBAN payment through my bank and the item only costs £9.
    I cannot find someone online who will make a simple payment to a German Bank account. All the things I find online want the vendor to go and pick up money from their offices and I don't want him to have any trouble in case he decides not to sell it to me.

I sent some heavily disguised cash by post already and of course it has 'vanished'.

I'm usually good at these sort of problems. Is there a simple way I have overlooked?

How do you do it?

(Excuse bad German here - I used a translator programme)

Kann jedermann mir mit diesem sehr dummen und frustrierenden Problem helfen. Ich habe den Duftstoff meiner Träume von der deutschen Ebucht und des morgens es schwierig dumm finden, sie von Großbritannien zu zahlen gekauft. Der Verkäufer doesn' t nehmen paypal an. Es kostet £25, um eine IBAN Zahlung durch meine Bank und die Kosten £9. zu senden des Einzelteils nur. Ich kann jemand nicht on-line finden, wer eine einfache Zahlung an ein deutsches Bankkonto leistet. Alle Sachen, die ich online, finde den Verkäufer gehen zu wünschen, um Geld von ihren Büros und von I don' aufzuheben; t wünschen ihn jede mögliche Mühe haben, falls er, sich entscheidet sie nicht an mich zu verkaufen. Ich sendete etwas schwer verkleidetes Bargeld durch Post bereits und selbstverständlich hat sie ' vanished'. I' m normalerweise gut an diesen Art von Problemen. Gibt es eine einfache Weise, die ich übersehen habe? Wie tun Sie sie?

Default Re: Someone from Germany - Im trying to buy a beautiful perfume in Germany from the UK - can you hel

Sounds like a scam to me. Anyone selling on Ebay should accept Paypal. If they say they don't, and ask for cash or wire transfer, beware! I imagine the cash "vanished" into the pocket of the unscrupulous Ebay "seller", who will probably also vanish shortly.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Someone from Germany - Im trying to buy a beautiful perfume in Germany from the UK - can you hel

On USA eBay the vendor must accept either PayPal or a credit card. Check if the same rules apply for German sellers. If he does not accept these methods you are under no further obligation to pay him. I "get" that you want the item, but at what price?

I have bought several times from german sellers that don´t accept paypal - it seems rather common there. But my bank have several payment options, one that is free if you have the sellers IBAN/swift and possibly some other info of the account. I think this option works in EU.

Good luck!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Sounds like a scam to me. Anyone selling on Ebay should accept Paypal. If they say they don't, and ask for cash or wire transfer.
    IBAN/swift is wire transfer. In the EU it should cost as much to transfer the money as it does in your own country – not £25. Could be that the UK doesn’t take part in those EU regulations.

Unfortunately I do want this particular perfume at nearly any cost BUT not to be ripped off by the banks. I've been gently looking for this perfume for 20 years with this particular label. I'm desperate, having found it, that this silly payment problem will make him keep it. Also of course I managed to get it for a fine price and I expect the vendor may know this.

I finally phoned my international nationawide flexaccount services. They confirmed that the only way from the UK was the Swift/Iban way..... this takes 3-5 whole days and costs £20.....

I resorted to sending it by post again but with a signed for delivery (which with hindsight I should have done in the first place). I've even said he can keep the first payment to take his mates out for a beer to ensure he feels inclined to send it to me.

Unbelievable in this techno age....

Oh Mumsy, once the good stuff is in your hands, please share what it is!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The eternal Houbigant of course. I spend my life in pursuit of this. I very nearly have one of each. Finally I find the second to last one to complete a collection, and in the correct bottle with the correct label and....... aaaaaagh. It's so frustrating. I shall wait quietly for the postman and hope that the vendors good nature wins. There will always be another, but it has taken me years and a global search to track this particular bottle down and it even has a damaged label too. Of course it doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things, but I am nearly 50 euros down too and for only 5ml! I must be absolutely barmy. Are we all barmy like this?

Mumsy, your tenacity in this pursuit is admirable, in my opinion. It takes so long to accumulate a superb collection of something, and I think you will find great satisfaction from obtaining this piece, when you get it. Not many people have the diligence and passion for something like you obviously have, and I just think that is fantastic. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I must be absolutely barmy. Are we all barmy like this?
    um, yes, I think quite possibly we are....

Yes, in Germany private sellers are not required to accept PayPal-payments. Did you try to explain your payment problem with the seller so that he? Alternatively you could have used Western Union for the money transfer, which might have been cheaper but that only works if the seller cooperates.

I don't know what your looking for but you might want to check this shop (with good reputation): http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/duefte/houbigant-1

The seller stated cash or an IBAN transfer and only wanted to send to Germany. I was in the process of trying to find him a local German address, but then he relented and said he would send it to my address, but then the money trouble began. I should think he is fed up with me by now.... pity, because I'm actually totally trustworthy like that.

One thing I have noticed is that occasionally someone says in a listing elsewhere that they cannot send a perfume to Germany because of restrictions. What are these? Is this why German e-bayers often say they will not ship anywhere but Germany? I have also noticed that in Germany and the Netherlands, there is a great following for minis, seemingly more so than elsewhere. Especially Jean Paul Gaultier minis for some reason. In America there seems much more fascination with perfumes than in England, and with fellas as well as the girls. Although that may just be because this is written in English. There may be ravingly active BN's all over the place in different languages.... All very demographically interesting.

Thanks for that link. Very interesting snippet of history there. Leaves me wanting the whole story. Houbigant perfumes are by far the most fascinating, then Coty too..... oh, and all the others......

I promise I will show it off if it ever arrives... I just may have to contemplate begging if not....

Yes, I noticed the big number of auctions for minis on German ebay too but I have no idea where that comes from.

The seller shouldn't have any problems sending you this mini to the UK.

As for the import regulations from the USA, as far as I know, they are not as strict as some people make them out to be. If my information is correct, a German buyer usually just has to pay 19% "Einfuhrumsatzsteuer" (tax; calculated with the total that includes shipping costs) for perfume, if customs catch it. An issue may be the customs of the country where the seller lives though.

Thank you for the reassurance. I shall just live in hope all this week...... The parcels I sent to the Netherlands and to Greece didn't take more than a couple of days to get there, so we'll see.

OMG I can't believe this is mine.... My heaven and in the right bottle with the right label.... after 20 years of hunting....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice, congrats!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is why....

Yay, Mumsy! I'm glad it worked out for you.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

All I can say is that you were very lucky to get your perfume after paying the seller twice. It's the right bottle with the right label - is it the right perfume?
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Oh, yes. I was hoping so because of the tatty label. The oils of this were so much stronger than the sprays. It is still a good buy for me, even having paid twice and added postage twice. Funnily enough it wasn't the money that was frustrating, it was the unhappy chance that having found it and won the auction, it may not come to me because of the problems. I've been hoping to find this for so long.

It serves me right for sending the cash in a card, any postal thief would smell money in that from a mile away. The second payment was still by cash, but in a box in a padded envelope and by signed for delivery... that'll teach a lesson.

Aww, mumsy, I'm glad it worked out.
    I was about to offer you another way, next time, contact a trustworthy german member albeit i dunno how to define trustworthy, maybe over 1k posts or something like that!
    they can just transfer the money within Germany for you and you pay them via paypal and you even have the chance to cancel the transaction, dont you?
    But why it would have cost that much of a fee I have no idea, I have bought from elsewhere in the EU several times and IBAN/Swift always worked like a charm.

BTW, that stupid shipping thing is afaik only about shipping INTO germany and it's because of German customs. Really stupid. Within the EU, however, there normally arent any problems.

I'm happy for you and they look adorable!
    Smellin good

Watch out, I may take you up on that.... you have over 1k of posts... I would do it for someone too, if someone was having trouble getting a beloved perfume. BNers seem to stick up for each other, and that's what I love here. There doesn't seem ever to be much slandering like some other forums I've visited (and never returned to).

A big thank you to all of you who have been helping and supporting here whilst I was having a fluster. I'm glad to be able to report and photograph the happy ending.