Code of Conduct

Default Is Bois d'Orage the answer to Angeliques Sous la Pluies' shortcomings?

I have sampled Angeliques Sous la Pluies and actually had some kind of epiphany when I smelled it the first time but I quickly realized how weak sillage and longevity are. Many reviews confirm that this is an issue that prevented many from buying it. Well I recently bought a bottle from a fellow BNer anyway but now I consider getting Bois d'Orage (aka French Lover) as a replacement.

What do you think about the current formulation (the 9% strenght)?
    Did Pierre Bourdon succeed with making a stronger version of Angeliques Sous la Pluies?
    Just how related are they and would a person like me like Bois d'Orage?

I love ASlP's
    - peppery Anglica notes as well as the whole Gin Tonic/wet stone-accord
    - transparency and airyness
    - the coriander notes

but hated
    - sillage and longevity

Default Re: Is Bois d'Orage the answer to Angeliques Sous la Pluies' shortcomings?

I think a stronger formulation of Angeliques Sous la Pluie would answer Angeliques Sous la Pluie's shortcomings.

French Lover is often cited as a "stronger" ASP, and while it does include a similar angelica note, the overall scent is very different. ASP is delicate and frosty, with a bit of sweetness, more like a summery gin cocktail. French Lover is butch: moss and wood and incense accompany the angelica, instead of fresh, sort of floral greenery. Completely different experience. I do wish ASP was stronger, but French Lover isn't the answer.

I mean, you'd probably like FL, but just don't expect an Angeliques Sous la Pluie twin...maybe a distant second cousin.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 8th October 2010 at 06:31 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Is Bois d'Orage the answer to Angeliques Sous la Pluies' shortcomings?

Thanks, that was the sort of clarification I was looking for. I read somewhere that a stronger ASlP was the initial idea behind it but that Pierre Bourdon just took it as a reference. Sounds like French Lover is really just referencing the Angelica.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I read somewhere that a stronger ASlP was the initial idea behind it but that Pierre Bourdon just took it as a reference.
    Yeah, I think ASP was the inspiration, but FL took on its own personality and really diverged from its source material. Which is a good thing. I don't think we needed a re-branded clone of ASP, but I wouldn't mind a stronger ASP that is still just ASP. The smell itself doesn't need any tinkering, but the lifespan does.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yeah, let's start a petition for a Angeliques Sous la Pluies Concentree!

+1 on all above. I asked Frederic Malle about this when he was here and his response was pretty casual, along the lines of 'we started playing with the idea of 'amping up / pushing the envelope' (my words) of Angeliques and this is what we ended up with'. I think it stated as an idea and then FL took on a life of it's own as they went along.

I love both of them - I just think of Angeliques as a 'sharpener' and appreciate it for what it is

I guess ASlP is a very good choice for wearing during job interviews. Thankfully I don't need to do those at the moment, so I'll stick with wearing it whenever I need a refreshment from the heavier scents and be cautiously hopeful for an amped up version in the future...

Thumbs up Re: Is Bois d'Orage the answer to Angeliques Sous la Pluies' shortcomings?

Yeah, let's start a petition for a Angeliques Sous la Pluies Concentree!
    Bump...

...for what is yet another thing I agree with Nasenmann about....GREAT IDEA !!!!

What do you think about the current formulation (the 9% strength)?
    It's wonderful IMO.