Code of Conduct

Thread: Intro from DC

Default Intro from DC

Hi everyone:
    I thought I'd introduce myself on the forum, though I have been reading here for a bit now.

Basically I've come at an interest in fragrance by way of incense - wanting to know what the different component substances smell like. And of course, I discovered that lots of the ingredients are used in both domains. That in turn led to trying some wearable fragrances, which has become a small passion now.

A couple of favorites already: Amouage Epic Man and Regence Kolnisch Juchten.

Although this may sound odd, there is also a scent I really like from a boot waterproofer that contains pine tar and beeswax. Not that I've _worn_ it of course, but those sorts of tarry leathery notes are great.

Also thinking about trying Aouds, but dont know quite where to begin. I'd love to be able to get a wearable fragrance that has the aloeswood scent of a good Shoyeido incense - say Tenpyo in the Horin series.

I'll be in Dubai in a few days and will try to revisit the Abdul Samad Al Qurashi shop there. I have been reading through the absolutely humongous Aoud thread... which leads me to think I should try a kambodi or borneo first (not sure I'll like the barnyard notes of the Indians at this point). May also try a Khalta or two when I'm there. Last time I got a couple of blends for presents - with rose and saffron. Those are nice also.

So thanks to everyone for the many reviews and comments. It'll be quite a a fun journey learning about this world of fragrance.

Any thoughts of things to try are most welcome!

Matt

Default Re: Intro from DC

Hi Matt, (and welcome, let the madness begin)
    If you are interested in incense you need to try Series 3 Incense from Comme des Garcons.

And for something with a feeling of tar, I submit Black by Bulgari, it smells of vanilla and asphalt, it seems to be going out of production, so get a sniff while you can.

It is not by coincidence that you got into perfumery by interest in incense, The word perfume comes from the latin per = by and fume = smoke, therefore perfume means literally "by smoke" from the old costume of perfuming a house with frankincense, or myhrr, even aoud or some other fumes.
    By the way, I've been in Dubai and the variety of perfumes, oils, attars etc is to blow anybody's mind. There are this specialty shops where they sell only middleast concoctions and anything there is better than anything you have smelled before in your life.
    I made the mistake in buying one bottle of perfume for me and one for my wife and boy do I regret not having bought more. The food there is also out of this world, if you have the chance of having dinner in the Dhow (typical arab boat) that sails up and down the canal, please do it, it is an incredible a la carte restaurant PLUS an all you can eat buffet with all the most incredible delicacies you will neve see put together in the same place and at the same time. Have fun in Dubai, I know you will. By the way, we stayed at the Best Western there and had a wonderful stay.

Thanks for the suggestions Furry Pine! I'll see if I can get hold of them.

And Perfume Collector, thanks for the comments. Yes, the ASAQ store there was pretty amazing. Do you recall any favorites shops from your visit?
    I'll suggest a Dhow dinner to my colleagues, that does sound fun.

We rented a taxi driver for 2 days and he took us to different places, practically anything that is worth seeing. For less than 40 bucks for the whole day I think is a steal. Negociate with the driver himself, the hotel will offer you a taxi for the day, but it will cost you a fortune, but if you haggle with the driver you can get a very nice price (BTW haggle EVERYTHING, they are willing to negociate, it is a matter of pride for them to haggle, so if you just go and pay straight up you are actually kinda insulting them and they do not like it). Anyhow, it was such a hectic and busy couple of days that I wish I could remember the name of the different shops and places we visited. I should have kept a dairy LOL)
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 11th October 2010 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khonsumes View Post
    Although this may sound odd, there is also a scent I really like from a boot waterproofer that contains pine tar and beeswax. Not that I've _worn_ it of course, but those sorts of tarry leathery notes are great.
    Comme des Garcons Tar is much closer to the tar used to waterproof canvas for CivWar reenactment gear than it is to roofing tar (no wonder it's confusing to some of us Floridians)

Knize Ten is one of my favorite leather scents, but its "petrol" top notes do share a bit with Chelsea Leather Food.

Jacques Bogart's Bogart is another "russian leather" scent, but is much more green. No honey, and pine tar isn't listed, but it shares some scent components with Huberd's Shoe Grease.

K10 has also been compared to shoe polish, but for all the spices, Serge Noire still conjures that image better for me.

Some Lincoln wax polishes have a dry "pipe tobacco" scent, but I don't wear too many things in that vein. Maybe Bogart Pour Homme?

Hopefully this helps. I'm beginning to think I may have too many hobbies

Thanks Hob.

These are good suggestions..

And you know Huberd's... I'll check out Bogart..
    I know that this waterproof compound I've mentioned is sold at Mr S in San Francisco. Have some folks checking to get the actual name - but it is distinct from Huberd's (so the bootblack said).

I'll post back also any acquisitions from Dubai..