Code of Conduct

Thumbs up L'Antimatiere is beyond amazing.

I am sooooo glad I didn't write this scent off after the initial dab on a tiny piece of flesh real estate crowded by other scents in my sample pack. I smelled nothing, nada, zip.

I decided to make it my SoTD (well, tonight, I work nights) and put it on a bit more freely, but still with a light hand. The tiniest whisper of mint and something like labdanum absolute and then nothing. Sheer disappointment.

I did get the tiniest whiffs of something now and again - a very faint and soft white musk, but then I stopped noticed even that. I put my arm up to my nose and held it htere, sniffing.. it was strange as I knew the scent hadn't gone as I could feel it, being in such close proximity, irritating my eyes.

So I thought, let's try this again, but let's put on more than a single swipe with the applicator tip of my sample vial. So i turned the vial upside down and put ended up with a pea sized puddle that quickly expanded to quarter size or more, then used the applicator tip to spread it around further. The white musk/mint smell was stronger this time but still faint. I was all set for disappointment, but know that it should take 30 minutes or more for anything to appear and so tried to withhold it and still give the frag a chance.

30 or 45 minutes later and a sniff up close gave the scent of a wool sweater, warm and fresh from the laundry line. Still disappointed, I left my desk to go to the bathroom and answer nature's call.

An hour later I go back to the bathroom (too much tea, I presume) and I notice this wonderful scent. It was sweet and diffusive, with a hint of something fruity, and yet slightly mineralic.. it smelled like the most amazing laundry product smell, but natural and three dimensional instead of thin and biting. I wondered if there was a scented bag in the small paper towel trash bin, or perhaps someone had stuck a new air freshener on the wall that I hadn't noticed last time or perhaps wasn't there last time. But no, the small clear plastic trash bag smelled of nothing but a hint of plastic, and there were no air fresheners to be seen (and I looked everywhere, behind the toilet even ).

Walking back to my desk I caught more whiffs of this mysterious but amazing aroma. It existed from my desk to the bathroom. "No, it can't be! It can't! Somebody must have come by wearing a Creed (for it smelled of that 'magical' ambergris element in the drydown of so many Creeds). And so I made a trip to the water fountain. No smell on the way there. As I arrived and filled my water bottle, the scent trailed in behind me and gathered in an invisible cloud. "My god, this is magical!" I nearly said aloud. I turned and sure enough, like an invisible trail of pheromones it was there, all the way back to my desk. I made frequent escapades from my desk to test this again and again, unable to believe that it could possible be the scent, unable to believe that it lingered for over an hour ni the bathroom (well, it's a very small bathroom, and I've smelled my coworkers scents linger in there for an hour or so but that's only when they've resprayed IN the bathroom.. I had simply walked in an hour or so after application.)

I sniffed my arm again and again and nothing much had changed on the skin. It was faint and if that was all I could smell, I would have written the frag off as so many others have: The Emperor's New Clothes.

All of my repeated tests left our hallways glowing with this magical aura. It was.. well, it's perfumey in a sense, but not ostentatious. It's as the ad copy says, an invisible ink. I've no doubt that if someone wore this and took off into the woods at midnights, I could find them.. it carves a path of scent so beautiful it would make the task as easy as were I a bloodhound (but oh so much more enjoyable.)

I can only assume that there is an extreme overload of musk in this, along with ambergris - the musk's primary purpose to overload the nose and make it anosmic at close distance. Less is more here, and I definitely think that overapplying or even worse, applying on the neck or to close to the nose could completely kill one's ability to detect the wonderful vapor trails. For those who can't smell it, apply some to your wrists. Wait about a half hour, as I believe the first 15-30 minutes there really is no scent trail created (I'll be testing this tomorrow).. then go into a small room and close the door and any windows and try to create a small airtight space. Wave your arms wildly for 30 seconds or so, just to fully diffuse the scent in the air, then walk out, wait a minute or two (keeping your arms or wherever you applied the scent away from your nose) and then enter the room again. If you don't detect it right away, turning your head side to side rapidly while sniffing can help break the olfactory fatigue (this works with all scents, actually.)

Perhaps some truly are anosmic to all elements of this scent. I really feel sorry for them. The experience is absolutely amazing. I can easily say this is immediately in my top 5 and is holy-grail material. The only drawback is that you don't constantly notice the scent yourself while stationary. It could be worn lightly though on one's hair or upper shoulders to create a scent trail and aura wherever you go, while still allowing you to wear a few sprays of another frag on the chest. I wonder what the mixed sillage would be like on that! I think they'd work wonderfuly with Creeds that have an ambergris drydown, or lighter airier scents like Unforgivable, Eau Savage, etc.

I urge, only for the beauty of the olfactory experience I had the pleasure of tonight, that those who've tried this and written it off try it again. Just do not expect to smell it when you are still or stationary, or expect anything great on the skin. Somehow the scent doesn't come alive until it is far off the skin, but wow, the sillage is amazing (a few swipes of the sample vial applicator left the aura of it in the bathroom for over an hour, and it carves a wide.. maybe 10 feet or so path wherever you walk.)

An amazing experience I hope you all will be able to replicate.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 14th August 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Default Re: L'Antimatiere is beyond amazing.

I must apologize for my profuse praise, rambling, etc.. I hope it doesn't come across the wrong way.. it's just the experience I had last night and am still having as the scent dies down now was so.. just overwhelming, really. It was a joyous rapture and yet I am laced with a bit of fear.. have I found my holy grail? If the true joy is in the journey, and I've found my journey's end.. then what? I don't mean to imply that I won't wear other scents and enjoy them - and I'm not sure how I'll feel about L'Antimatiere a day from now, a week from now.. but the experience was just.. I can't do it justice by putting it into words, and I definitely failed that objective in my initial post as well. The joy and fear is settling now and the whole night felt more like a vivid dream and now I am waking and the dream is hazy.. the emotional content still intact but the details lost to a morning grogginess.

We all at one point or another have been on a search for the holy grail, but have any of you considered just how frightening it could be to actually find it? And then, I think to myself, is it absolutely absurd, bordering on dysfunctional, to become this enraptured by a simple olfactory experience? Am I putting too much stock into it? God, it reminds me of the first time I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (an experience also felt the first time listening to The Wall and The Division Bell.) A deep awakening of some inner spirit locked away, who grew weak and famished as I forgot to feed him while I plunged headfast into life.

Has anyone ever felt something so..so, from a perfume? I feel remarkably vulnerable right now, and posting this making it only moreso. I hope I'm not alone in such an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I must apologize for my profuse praise, rambling, etc.. I hope it doesn't come across the wrong way.. it's just the experience I had last night and am still having as the scent dies down now was so.. just overwhelming, really. It was a joyous rapture and yet I am laced with a bit of fear.. have I found my holy grail? If the true joy is in the journey, and I've found my journey's end.. then what? I don't mean to imply that I won't wear other scents and enjoy them - and I'm not sure how I'll feel about L'Antimatiere a day from now, a week from now.. but the experience was just.. I can't do it justice by putting it into words, and I definitely failed that objective in my initial post as well. The joy and fear is settling now and the whole night felt more like a vivid dream and now I am waking and the dream is hazy.. the emotional content still intact but the details lost to a morning grogginess.

We all at one point or another have been on a search for the holy grail, but have any of you considered just how frightening it could be to actually find it? And then, I think to myself, is it absolutely absurd, bordering on dysfunctional, to become this enraptured by a simple olfactory experience? Am I putting too much stock into it? God, it reminds me of the first time I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (an experience also felt the first time listening to The Wall and The Division Bell.) A deep awakening of some inner spirit locked away, who grew weak and famished as I forgot to feed him while I plunged headfast into life.

Has anyone ever felt something so..so, from a perfume? I feel remarkably vulnerable right now, and posting this making it only moreso. I hope I'm not alone in such an experience.
    I enjoyed the hell out of reading this...and yes..I have experienced similar feelings with several frags.
    I am quite jealous too...I think we all want this, but it is also scary from a 'what do I do now?' standpoint.

I am just grateful you are writing and posting about it so that I can share the experience too.
    Your olfactory sweetspot is being hit perfectly...thanks for sharing it with us! I feel kind of dirty and guilty. lol.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 14th August 2008 at 01:18 PM.

You inspire me to retry L'Antimatiere.

I too at first dismissed it as erm.. nothing note-worthy.

I'll give it another try tonight after a shower and come back reporting by tomorrow. I'll have to take a walk outside too I guess!

Basenotes Plus

I enjoyed very much reading of your experience... thanks for sharing!
    I really hope to one day have a similarly strong experience from sampling a perfume, and now I will order a sample of L'Antimatiere :-)
    I love cologne.

Basenotes Plus

Some fragrances just need you to spend some time with them to get to know them. You were rewarded for doing just that. I loved reading what you wrote & thank you very much for sharing it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

You should consider writing for some perfume catalogues, hah! Very interesting.

I looooove this scent- I think it helps it a lot if you spray it on and don't dab from a sample if possible.

I loved reading this as well. You sound like me when I get all hot and bothered by a fragrance. You shouldn't apologize at ALL! You SHOULD however call Lucky Scent and Perfumed Court, because I think they might be getting a few orders coming their way The first time I got this excited by a fragrance was with Straight to Heaven from By Kilian and I had so many people write me and thank me for inspiring them to purchase it (I'm still awaiting a kick back from Kilian hahaha)... Most of us are looking for that high. It's always so cool to hear about someone experiencing it

So my question is, have you tried Escentric Molecules? Apparently the idea is the same. I'm curious if there are any comparisons or contrasts to be drawn. Also, strangely, your experience sort of sounds like my reaction to ... don't laugh... Thierry Mugler Ice Men. It's smelled musky and like a freshly laundered shirt that wasn't so clean. One of the most mysterious "auras" I've experienced from a fragrance.

Thanks again for writing

I didn't think much of L'Antimatiere at first when I got my sample of it--possibly because the sample leaked. After reading your review, I decided to go find the remains of my sample. I dabbed most of what was left on my arms. I am unfortunately, anosmic to certain musks-- so I don't get a lot out of it, unless I put my nose to it.

But damn, besides a faint mint note, there is a resemblance to the Creed house note and I like it. This might be one of those sneaky skin scents that through the slightest subtlety can transform the wearer. I'm going to revisit this.

Great post and a testament to wearing things for a bit before judging. Look at the reviews..all are about how the scent doesn't exist. Many may change after trying again.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I know it's a mass market frag and probably played out but cK Be does that to me each time I wear it. The White Musk in it is truly Interesting and it's a really remarkable blend for a designer brand. So does Lalique's Encre Noire. What a fabulous smoky vetiver frag! It's a real olfactory delight to have it on.. very mysterious and intriguing.. making the wearer almost feel like the Dark Knight.

On the Niche side of things, Etro Messe de Minuit. It's always compared CDG's Avignon (even if sometimes it's just for reference) but personally I find it more relative to Zagorsk than Avignon, yes, the Avignon vibe is definitely there within its "churchy" charisma.. but in the end it always ends up reminding me of a more subtle version of Zarorsk. Definitely an Interesting fragrance and different enough (from the CDg Incense series) to own.

That's all I can remember for now. And great thread Sculps, loved reading it and your experience with L'Antimatiere

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

First of all, great writing SoS. I found it to be some really interesting and worthwhile reading, so nothing to apologize for, at all!

Now you got me all worked up to try L'Antimatiere out, although I have more scents on my to buy list than I can probably acquire in the coming year or so (life's tough being a poor student ). For some reason you made me really want to wear LV Musk too. Don't know why, but it'll be my SotD tomorrow.

I find it interesting you mention Pink Floyd's DSotM, The Wall and Division Bell. All three absolutely outstanding albums and three I rank very highly myself. Right now I'm listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn, the album In Step to be exact. It's a funny thing because some of the feelings you describe are hitting me right now as I'm listening to the live version of Life Without You for the third time now. SRV really knew how to express feelings through his guitar. He, like many other talented artists, left this life many years too early though.

Sorry for the OT, but I couldn't help myself...

Oh, no need to apologize for bringing up SRV! I'm a guitarist myself and SRV, Steve Vai, and a few others have really touched me in that same way (now that sounds dirty ) as well.

I'm going to see if the experience is as enveloping again tonight. My nose is a bit tired now and it's off to bed soon for me anyway. Thanks for all the positive support.. and I'll look into the scents you mentioned javagreen.

Btw, I haven't tried Escentric Molecules only because I would feel just.. cheated to know that I am paying $100+ for a single aromachemical (is that Molecule 01, I forget?) that you could purchase and make a full bottle of yourself for $5. I don't like the company's raison d'être so to speak. I should at least sample the line though - and if I like one of them that isn't a blend but just a single aromachemical, buy the darn thing myself and make my own dilution.

Rereading this, it's funny how trivial it all sounds in light of the completely unexpected break up that was thrust upon me tonight. Is it some sick idea of karmic balance? I don't know.. I shouldn't even be saying anything here.

Rereading this, it's funny how trivial it all sounds in light of the completely unexpected break up that was thrust upon me tonight. Is it some sick idea of karmic balance? I don't know.. I shouldn't even be saying anything here.
    Sorry to hear about that. I'm going through a kind of rock-bottom thud of a situation myself (long story). I'm not in a position to offer positive advice myself right now, but I empathize with the pain.

Thanks Indie_Guy. I understand not being able to offer advice - I wanted to say something helpful in TheAttorney's break up thread but couldn't find the words. Best of luck with your situation.

Wow, this is like some twisted romance. So I"m sitting here, spilling my heart out to paper, writing profusely and with as much fervor, no, far far more than that which inspired me to start this thread, when all of a sudden I am hit by the scent of nothing other than L'Antimatiere. Like a spirit rising from a body just deceased, or perhaps my own fleeing it's fleshy cage, L'Antimatiere arose from deep within my skin and surrounded me with it's haunting aroma. I was sure it was a phantom aroma, but no, bringing my arm (where I had generously applied the sample last night) to my nose and that soft musk was there, so soft yet unmistakebly present, thorns hidden deep in its cashmere folds.

Is L'Antimatiere the scent of love lost? The haunting reminder that surrounds me with the aura, the memories of what I had, but am unable to hold on to. Something I can only experience from afar, disappearing whenever I try to hold it close yet once again?

This is too much right now..
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 15th August 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Just a word from LesNez:

Thanks for the thread. Isabelle will love your words, SoS.

Many things where said about L'Antimatière. And as we don't write any ad copy, apart from the words of the perfumer, this helps a lot.

In my opinion L'Antimatiere is somehow "human". It touches parts of our memories which we can not reach consciously.

Beware: It sometimes comes back the next day - even after a shower.

We have put 2 samples of L'Antimatiere in the shop on its own. (not bundled with the other two Perfumes) So if someone wants to try it: lesnez.com/shop - languague; English - samples. (sorry for the advert Grant)

"Cluster One" already playing ... Great start into the week end - thanks again.

Best René Schifferle / EauxM
    Last edited by EauxM; 15th August 2008 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. I'm going through a kind of rock-bottom thud of a situation myself (long story). I'm not in a position to offer positive advice myself right now, but I empathize with the pain.
    Sorry to hear about that, both of you. I went through kind of a life change a couple of months ago as well, although I guess I had seen it coming, so I didn't hit bottom. I wish you both find the strength to put whatever is eating away at you behind you and look forward to all the great things yet to come.

Unfortunately due to the circumstances I don't think I'll ever be able to wear this scent again. The smell truly haunts me now, and the association with loss is forever etched into the folds of my brain.

(the longevity is amazing though, over 36 hours and 2 showers and I could still smell a hint of it on my arm)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Karma..my oh my. Some interpret karma as simply an endless stream of cause and effect, a rebalancing of the energy/consciousness that exists, that there is no 'good' or 'bad' karma and only the interpretation of good and bad karma by those experiencing it. Some say the karma one experiences today is the product of previous karmic acts and at that a mix of the one's own karma and the karma of all sentient beings. Some say what we do today will appear as karma for us and for others in the future. Some say that is all just plain BS. But if it is all an illusion in the end, it is a damn intense and realistic and persistant one.

Your wonderfully written post on L'Animatiere has inspired me to dig out the LesNez sample from the back of my fridge for another go round. I tried it over a year ago and just didn't connect with it in the way you did. I enjoyed it but on a much lower level. Using your experience with it I will give it another go round and see what I was missing. Thanks!
    Last edited by kbe; 16th August 2008 at 01:12 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by EauxM View Post
    Just a word from LesNez:

Thanks for the thread. Isabelle will love your words, SoS.

Many things where said about L'Antimatière. And as we don't write any ad copy, apart from the words of the perfumer, this helps a lot.

In my opinion L'Antimatiere is somehow "human". It touches parts of our memories which we can not reach consciously.

Beware: It sometimes comes back the next day - even after a shower.

We have put 2 samples of L'Antimatiere in the shop on its own. (not bundled with the other two Perfumes) So if someone wants to try it: lesnez.com/shop - languague; English - samples. (sorry for the advert Grant)

"Cluster One" already playing ... Great start into the week end - thanks again.

Best René Schifferle / EauxM
    Hello René!

I am so glad you found this thread and just as thrilled that you'll pass it on to Isabelle.

As someone who enjoys creating more than consuming, I know how great it feels to get some unexpected and touching feedback regarding one's creations. I just want to thank Isabelle and you for making such an unconventional it'd-never-pass-focus-testing kind of scent available! The overall experience was, despite me likely never being able to wear the scent due to the unfortunate circumstances, still something that was deeply touching and helped broaden my horizons of what perfume can be, and the emotions it can evoke. So thank you, again!
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th August 2008 at 01:36 AM.

Gee- I feel for you and understand how you are feeling about the scent. My only advice is to put it away for a while- like months. Then take it out and see if you can experience it without the association of something painful. As a matter of fact I think it's important that you do so, if only to reclaim it as yours...

After all, you are one of the (apparent few) who can discern it; I reviewed it and to this day I have people tell me that it smells like tap water to them when I get the loveliest scent: like borrowing the cashmere sweater of your beloved and smelling his skin on it, making you snuggle into it with a secret smile.

I have played a lot with this scent. As your post illustrates, too much time needs to be invested (wait an hour, hold off for 30 minutes, wait a few more 45 mins, etc etc..) to enjoy the moderately impressive effects of this scent - my bag of other lutens, c&s, p. generale, etc samples are even more appealing and won't allow this to happen..
    -

Thought I might revive this thread as I just wore this all day yesterday. I don't know what to think...

For the first hour I couldn't smell anything, then I would occasionally get these whiffs of something sweet and musky, like the dry down of Creed's Green Valley. Then nothing.

Then this morning, I smelled it again, only to not smell anything on my wrist but a light fabric softener smell. This stuff is driving me crazy - I'm both intrigued and enjoying it, but also getting very frustrated. I'll have to ask my girlfriend to wear this just so I can get a "real" impression of this, as I can barely smell it when I try, yet I'm haunted by the most beautiful smell at random intervals.

Anyone else try this lately? Anyone own a bottle?
    Sales thread here

I re-bought a sample of it but haven't worked up the guts to wear it again. I feel as if when I do, something is going to go wrong. Silly, I know.

It sounds like you're perceiving what I picked up too, L'Aventurier. A fabric softener/creed-like ambergris type note.

I'll give it a wearing again just as soon as I can muster up the courage .
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think the scent of my neutral laundry powder leaves a stronger scent than L´Antimatiere. It´s just too light for me to enjoy it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Any updated thoughts on this one?

I've just tested it out for the first time today.

The effect/development is amazing. I love how it bobs and weaves and disappears and reappears smelling a little different each time.

I'm not sure however, if I actually like the smell.

I'm not a vetiver fan and there's a clear period (around hour 4) where a vetiver-like note appears.

Apart from that this it smells grey! I've never smelled any fragrances that invoke gray before. So odd. I'll have to test it more.

I never managed to get the guts to wear the repurchased sample and ended up trading it away. One interesting thing to note - the sample, over the period of 6 months or a year or so, begun to turn an opalescent white - not dissimilar to the way Absinthe looks as it begins to louche.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I just found some samples that LesNez sent along with my Turtle Vetiver Front. I put them all on. L'Antimatière is blowing my mind. Perhaps the best skin scent I have ever smelled. It is really bugging me that I can't place the plastic-rubber-wax thing that it does because it's invoking a scent memory that is just out of reach for me. The smell of a swimsuit, perhaps? Wet scuba gear? I think I know what my next bottle purchase will be. This stuff is really captivating.

Unfortunately due to the circumstances I don't think I'll ever be able to wear this scent again. The smell truly haunts me now, and the association with loss is forever etched into the folds of my brain.

(the longevity is amazing though, over 36 hours and 2 showers and I could still smell a hint of it on my arm)
    I must apologize, SoS. I hadn't read this thread all the way through before leaving some thoughts about L'Antimatière. I hope I'm not exhuming something you didn't want to revisit.

It very much gives the impression of being alive. It's evolving dramatically after 90mins with a bit of an iodine turn. I anticipate it will do more weird things. I can understand why, if you had a bad association with it, that you would not want it coming back to see you.

I expected this scent to be quite interesting based on all the reviews but unfortunately for me it is purely linear. I get a blast of white musk at the onset which basically lasts for 10+ hours without changing noticibly. First time I tried it, the smell really was beautiful, but it grew boring by my third wearing and I haven't wanted to try it again since.