Code of Conduct

Post prada amber pour homme, mugler cologne or gendarme???

I seem to be in a "soapy" phase right now. I can only afford to add one more frag: which should I get? Prada amber, mugler or gendarme. I have sampled them all and seem to like them equally. Any suggestions? Strong feelings? I can't make up my mind.

Default Re: prada amber pour homme, mugler cologne or gendarme???

I really enjoy Prada Amber. Its reasonably priced too.

I bought Prada Amber pour Homme after a I smelled it for 2 hours but I already regreted it after the first full wearing. Way too soapy and kind of pungent for me. It turned out to be one of those headache inducing scents that I rather scrub than wear. I am going to sell my bottle rather sooner then later.

I have Mugler Cologne and a decant of Gendarme. Mugler is quite musty, it's not as clean cut or sharp as Gendarme. It's still soapy, but it's got an air of strange fuzziness...I dunno how to explain it.

Gendarme on the other hand is very much a clean, wet soap or freshly washed clothes.

I prefer Mugler overall more than either of those two, you could also check out Infusion d'Homme
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I think Mugler is a nice soapy scent. I sampled the Gendarme series and Prada Amber as well. If I was gonna buy a full bottle though, I kinda like Gendarme Sky. It's a floral soapy scent that has some Magnolia in it. So, in a nutshell:

Mugler- green soapy kinda like Irish Spring
    Prada Amber- smelled kinda starchy to me
    Gendarme- most kinda smell like Prell Shampoo to me, but Sky was kinda nice with the floral

Actually, I think Tommy Hilfiger has a nice soapy feel as well, so I would maybe go with them.

Prada Amber is my favorite of those you mentioned.

Blog Entries

I have and love both Mugler Cologne and Gendarme. Though they are both "clean", "soapy" scents I don't find them to be very similar at all. Depending upon the day you ask, I may like one over the other one, so it would be hard for me to choose between them.

Prada Amber on the other hand, I didn't like at all. I liked it after sampling, but after a full wearing I just can't see myself wearing it.

I have Mugler and decants of Gendarme and Infusion D'Homme and I enjoy all three. If I had to pick one... Mugler Cologne!
    It must be because of the dash of vetiver!!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Have you considered Prada Infusion D'Homme, Helmut Lang EDC or Vetiver Hombre?

I have yet to smell Prada Amber but Mugler Cologne is excellent. I do not like Gendarme though.

Mugler Cologne

I am a big fan of Prada Amber PH. I find that the soapiness can be reduced by the lightness of your application. A walk-through application brings out the candied violets and purple Necco wafers (maybe I am influenced by the color of the juice). It is unique and intriguing, but not overpowering. For some reason, I don't get the starch/laundry notes at all.

L'eau Ambree Perfume by Prada.The perfume notes are amber, lemon and may rose accords. The base includes patchouli, oppoponax and vanilla.
    Perfumes for Women
    Exclusive offer for limited time. All products are original brands.
    www.quickly-shopping.com

I own both Mugler Cologne and Gendarme EDP, both are great. It depends on what you want. If you want a neutral type, more mature soap smell, Gendarme. If you want a green, zippy, youthful soap, go with Mugler. Both are great and I always have a hard time deciding which one I want to wear when I'm in that soapy mood.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Gendarme

I like Gendarme, but I was stunned by longevity of Infusion d'Homme for a "soapy" scent.

Sur la Plage

1) Prada Amber
    2) Mugler Cologne
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Prada Amber is the cleaner more soapy one. But I enjoy Mugler cologne more

Prada Amber
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Mugler or Gendarme for me.....I am not a fan of anything Prada.....Gary

I'd go for Prada Amber pH if you're in the northern hemisphere and thus going into fall.

If I can make another "soapy" recommendation for you to sample at some point: Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne. It's fantastic.

I've used Gendarme since the mid 1990's and am rarely without a bottle. What's so enjoyable about Gendarme is the cleanliness of it. Empty Bottle #6 or 7 just hit the garbage can a couple weeks ago. Of the two other fragrances you mention, I prefer the Prada Amber pour Homme as it's similar in some ways to Amouage Reflection Man, which is my current favorite fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    I'd go for Prada Amber pH if you're in the northern hemisphere and thus going into fall.

If I can make another "soapy" recommendation for you to sample at some point: Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne. It's fantastic.
    I first want to get one of the three I named. But I looked up Peau d'Espagne...it sounds amazing and from 1901. I wonder where I'll find it!

Prada is more like barbershop soapy to me, while Cologne has a more contemporary clean/soapiness and that "hot steam hitting electrified metal" weirdness that I totally love. Gendarme is not at all my style. Happily both Prada and Cologne can be found at online retailers very well priced.

You MUST try Helmut Lang EdC!

I'd take Mugler Cologne simply because, to me, it's the most versatile

Prada Amber Pour Homme. But also sniff some Prada Infusion D'homme.

For me it's Mugler all the way!

In addition to the clean freshness, there's also a sweet, sensuous musk countered nicely with a touch of vetyver.
    Loads of compliments from ladies when i wear this ; )

Gendarme is also a beautiful fragrance in it's own right - a little softer, perhaps, but still formidable.

Although, i do like Prada Amber (I'm wearing it right now as I write this), the scent itself just isn't as pleasant and enjoyable as Mugler and doesn't seem to captivate the ladies, either. You might say it's my body chemistry, but i used to sell Prada and the general response was nowhere near as favorable compared to Mugler.

Do try them all on your skin and bring a nose of distinction with you, then make an informed decision.

In my humble opinion, Mugler gets the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I am a big fan of Prada Amber PH. I find that the soapiness can be reduced by the lightness of your application. A walk-through application brings out the candied violets and purple Necco wafers (maybe I am influenced by the color of the juice). It is unique and intriguing, but not overpowering. For some reason, I don't get the starch/laundry notes at all.
    I love Prada Amber Pour Homme but never knew how to describe it. Yes it's soapy and fresh like clean laundry, but you nailed it on the head. Necco wafers!! That's it! This stuff smells great, and last all day.

I'd go for the Mugler.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Funny this thread popped up again, as I just re-tested Amber at the mall today. It's much soapier than I recall from the last time I smelled it months ago, when I found it a sweet, powdery, musky thing in the vein of Le Mâle. (My nose must have been off that day, or maybe I confused Amber with Infusion d'Homme? Gah, how I loathe Prada's naming conventions.)

I dig the slightly rooty (iris?) drydown countering the sweet soapiness of Amber's heart, and it's clearly well-made, with excellent tenacity. But overall, I prefer the Mugler. "Soapy" is simply not my favored category of scent, and the Prada doesn't have much more going on besides that: soap. The Mugler livens things up with that zingy vetiver, smooth, almost milky musk (I swear there's a dash of ambergris somewhere in the mix), and synthetic steam-clean haze that somehow makes my mouth water. I'm bored by the Prada, but fascinated and delighted by the Mugler. Sadly, I haven't smelled the Gendarme so I can't make a comparison, but Mugler gets my vote (and dollar).

Well. You should buy both the Prada - Amber and Mugler Cologne. The damage won't be too bad.

I'd go with Mugler Cologne, it's more versatile.

Prada Amber is a 5 star scent - it has great evolution, quality materials, and is smooth and luxurious. The musk in Mugler KILLS me - it's SUPER potent to my nose after a few hours. Ugh. Just so synthetic - I don't know how this became a BN darling. Haven't tried Gendarme yet. Still, Prada Amber is worth owning.

*Edit: I don't get the "Amber is just soapy" mentality at all. There's a very clear and identifiable orange blossom note, along with a sweet patchouli and cardamom, a huge sweet myrrh note (which is kind of bubblegummy, here) and perhaps best of all, a semi-smoky vetiver that reveals itself in the late drydown, alongside the suede note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Worth1969 View Post
    For me it's Mugler all the way!

In addition to the clean freshness, there's also a sweet, sensuous musk countered nicely with a touch of vetyver.
    Loads of compliments from ladies when i wear this ; )

Gendarme is also a beautiful fragrance in it's own right - a little softer, perhaps, but still formidable.

Although, i do like Prada Amber (I'm wearing it right now as I write this), the scent itself just isn't as pleasant and enjoyable as Mugler and doesn't seem to captivate the ladies, either. You might say it's my body chemistry, but i used to sell Prada and the general response was nowhere near as favorable compared to Mugler.

Do try them all on your skin and bring a nose of distinction with you, then make an informed decision.

In my humble opinion, Mugler gets the nod.
    haha speak for yourself about the compliments. I never fail to get compliments when I wear Prada Amber.

But to be fair, ive never smelled Mugler Cologne, so im curious to try it

I have both Prada Amber PH and Gendarme G [Gendarme in edp strength] and did own Mugler cologne. Mugler cologne did not smell clean or soapy to me at all, not in the sense that Prada ApH and Gendarme do.

Gendarme is very much the clean linen/irish springs scent and Amber PH more of a powdery scent to me. Either way, these two fragrances are the only two I've smelled to date that I'd feel comfortable attaching the way too overused descriptor "fresh".

Incidentally I wore Gendarme G as SOTD today.
    .Dave J

Prada Amber and Infusion

Hope it's not too late, just wanna let you know there's an unopened 10ml Prada Amber travel spray here and in case you haven't made up your mind yet, you are more than welcome to take it...and no charge as i wouldn't be able to finish off anyways.

Thanks for all the input. I went with Gendarme and Mugler! I'm ready for another soapy frag. Anything new and exciting like that?

Try Creed Original Vetiver!

Amber!

Slightly prefer Gendarme over Mugler, but like both; when I want a clean fragrance I wear Bulgari Blu, but would happily wear any of these three.

While I sometimes enjoy the Pradas mentioned, they have too much of an olfactory punch to smell like clean fresh soap to me.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Prada amber for going out/dating.
    Mugler cologne for lazy sunday afternoon.
    Gendarme for work.

I like Mugler Cologne followed by Gendarme. I don't like the smell of Prada.

Mugler cologne I would use for work or casual wearing. Gendarme for night or dressing up.

both are extremely versatile but Gendarme always seemed more formal to me.

I hope the OP has been able to make up his mind. It has nearly been two years!