Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: A question regarding the use of isopropyl myristate in perfumers alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I'm sure that's all correct, however do keep in mind that distilling ethanol in the UK requires a licence and payment of duty to HMRC - other countries have different rules about this and in some places it is perfectly legal to distill your own ethanol but in the UK it is a criminal offence. Definitely not something to post pictures of!

There is no restriction on distilling your own essential oils, though the volumes of most materials required to get more than a teaspoonful of oil make it impractical for most people to do on a domestic scale - citrus might be an exception as it's quite oil-rich - it isn't something I've tried myself.
    I'm not sure about the legality, but since duty has already been paid on the vodka it'd probably be OK. I wouldn't recommend making gallons of the stuff, mind.

You're right about the distillation; the yields weren't too good, but the oil was as fresh as you can get. Perhaps there is a citrus fruit with an unusual fragrance component? I don't know, but if there is then home distillation might come in useful if you wanted to make a small batch of oil in order to make something unique.

-

Default Re: A question regarding the use of isopropyl myristate in perfumers alcohol

I see the logic on duty, but I'm fairly sure HMRC won't . . .

With citrus, why not have a go with something like Kumquat? You're right about freshness and of course that does also make a difference to the quality.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of distilling, most citrus oils (as well as quite a lot of other things) tincture very well too - but I'm drifting way off topic now, so I'll stop there!
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Basenotes Plus

Ok, So reading through the entirety of this sticky note, I see a lot pertaining to UK, but not so much to USA, So here's my notes for this side of the Pond...

Spirytus (Polish potato Vodka) at 192 Proof is available in some states, same for 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol.
    But other states prohibit the high alcohol content to only 150 proof Everclear.

Organic grape Alcohol @ a high proof is available, but since it doesn't concern me, I can't refer a source to anyone. (Except that Remet has it in 55 Gallon Drums)

200 proof ethyl Alcohol as well as 170 proof, 180 proof, and 190 proof denatured perfumers Alcohol is readily available from Remet Alcohols, in various types. I use the "39C" formulation of 190 mostly, and have not yet explored the lower proofs available. http://www.remetalcohol.com/

Now shipping around the country is considered "Hazardous", must go by ground, and is costly.
    Very fortunately for me, I live here in Southern California, Near Los Angeles, and I simply go by car and pick it up, saving a lot of hassle and money.

There is a limit of how much you can buy in a calendar year before paying taxes on your alcohol purchase, of five gallons. It was never a concern until this year, because now I've started my Perfumery Business, and I will be consuming alcohol, by selling it. To this point, a five gallon per year limit before taxes kicked in was not an issue...

That's my experience to this point in time...
    Last edited by pkiler; 12th April 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I live in Tennessee, USA...and I can buy 190 proof pure grain alcohol (Golden Grain brand) at every liquor store around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Argane View Post
    I believe Isopropyl myristate is a naturally-derived synthetic... How do you use it in formulation? In which proportion? Can we replace it by glycerin? Is there a natural substitute of Monopropylene glycol??
    aam also using Glycerine for same purpose with Ehtynol

Quote Originally Posted by hack master View Post
    aam also using Glycerine for same purpose with Ehtynol
    Just to repeat once more that you do not need glycerine in perfume, despite the many places on the internet that tell you to add some, it is completely unnecessary and will result in solubility / miscibility problems in the majority of applications.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Can I use this to mix with my oils to make perfume?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NC-0026-Ethy...EAAOSwD0lUiMq3

Our anhydrous ACS reagent grade 200 proof Denatured Ethanol is specially denatured with methyl and isopropyl alcohols and meets essential lab requirements. (This denatured alcohol is unfit for consumption.) Uses include as a dehydrating agent and a fuel for alcohol burners. Also makes a very effective solvent.

Also known as Ethanol, it is very flammable and mixes with water, methanol, ether, chloroform and acetone.

Specifications...

Denatured alcohol formula SDA 3A (200 proof): 89.5 – 91.5% v/v.
    Methanol: 4.0 – 5.0% v/v
    Isopropyl Alcohol: 4.5 – 5.5% v/v

Make Ethanol Jelly
    Ethyl Alcohol, when used with our Calcium Acetate, is popularly used to make Ethanol Jelly, also known as "California Snowballs", or STERNO™.

You can easily create your own ethanol jelly fire-starter by mixing a saturated solution of Calcium acetate (sold separately). with ethyl alcohol. This way the ethanol fuel is more practical to store and transport.
    Here is the recipe:
    First make a saturated calcium acetate solution by mixing 17 gm calcium acetate with 40ml of water.
    Next, in a separate container, measure about 100ml of ethyl alcohol.
    Add the ethyl alcohol to the calcium acetate solution and stir. You should see a jelly-like substance form instantly.
    Pour off any excess liquid and store the ethanol jelly in a ziplock bag until needed.

Historical note...the basic commercial mixture was invented around 1900 with an evolution since of names. In 1918 the manufacturer promoted the product as a gift for a soldier going overseas. NOW the mixture is commercially called STERNO™ to use as a food warmer.

Ships only to the lower 48 U.S. states and Canada.

Chemical Formula: CH3CH2OH
    Appearance: Colorless liquid
    Chemical Grade:
    ACS Reagent
    Quantity: 16oz
    CAS Numbers: Ethyl Alcohol: 64-17-5 Methyl Alcohol: 67-56-1 Isopropyl Alcohol: 67-63-0

Thanks!
    Never leave the house without six sprays.

My Top 5:
    1. Xeryus Rouge (vintage)
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    4. Kokorico
    5. Alien Absolue

Based on the description you have provided this kind of alcohol is in some ways MORE than what you need. You do not need "anhydrous" ethanol for perfumery. Anhydrous means that the water has been removed. Normal perfumers alcohol is 190 proof, not 200 proof. In other words it contains about 5% water. This kind of anhydrous alcohol will attract water over time simply pulling it from the air until it is at about 95% ethanol and 5% water. This does not really matter to you as a perfumer, but it's something to be aware of. According to the specs you provided this alcohol actually has about 10% non-ethanol ingredients which may cause problems. In my opinion you should not buy this alcohol for perfume making.

Quote Originally Posted by bshell View Post
    Based on the description you have provided this kind of alcohol is in some ways MORE than what you need. You do not need "anhydrous" ethanol for perfumery. Anhydrous means that the water has been removed. Normal perfumers alcohol is 190 proof, not 200 proof. In other words it contains about 5% water. This kind of anhydrous alcohol will attract water over time simply pulling it from the air until it is at about 95% ethanol and 5% water. This does not really matter to you as a perfumer, but it's something to be aware of. According to the specs you provided this alcohol actually has about 10% non-ethanol ingredients which may cause problems. In my opinion you should not buy this alcohol for perfume making.
    *hugs*

Thank you
    Never leave the house without six sprays.

My Top 5:
    1. Xeryus Rouge (vintage)
    2. Womanity
    3. Perry Ellis "m"
    4. Kokorico
    5. Alien Absolue

You also do not want to use anything containing methanol that could possibly be consumed by humans. Very toxic.

Pure, anhydrous ethanol will absorb water from the atmosphere until the mixture is 96% ethanol. It is more than likely that it will contain traces of benzine.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxoMyke View Post
    Can I use this to mix with my oils to make perfume?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NC-0026-Ethy...EAAOSwD0lUiMq3

Thanks!
    In short: no

Besides the safety issue, the combination of isopropyl alcohol, methyl alcohol and, as David says probably benzene, or if not that toluene (also a common trace in anhydrous alcohol) will mean this stuff just smells too bad to be useful even if you didn't mind it being toxic.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett