Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A question regarding the use of isopropyl myristate in perfumers alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I'm sure that's all correct, however do keep in mind that distilling ethanol in the UK requires a licence and payment of duty to HMRC - other countries have different rules about this and in some places it is perfectly legal to distill your own ethanol but in the UK it is a criminal offence. Definitely not something to post pictures of!

There is no restriction on distilling your own essential oils, though the volumes of most materials required to get more than a teaspoonful of oil make it impractical for most people to do on a domestic scale - citrus might be an exception as it's quite oil-rich - it isn't something I've tried myself.
    I'm not sure about the legality, but since duty has already been paid on the vodka it'd probably be OK. I wouldn't recommend making gallons of the stuff, mind.

You're right about the distillation; the yields weren't too good, but the oil was as fresh as you can get. Perhaps there is a citrus fruit with an unusual fragrance component? I don't know, but if there is then home distillation might come in useful if you wanted to make a small batch of oil in order to make something unique.

-

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A question regarding the use of isopropyl myristate in perfumers alcohol

I see the logic on duty, but I'm fairly sure HMRC won't . . .

With citrus, why not have a go with something like Kumquat? You're right about freshness and of course that does also make a difference to the quality.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of distilling, most citrus oils (as well as quite a lot of other things) tincture very well too - but I'm drifting way off topic now, so I'll stop there!
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, So reading through the entirety of this sticky note, I see a lot pertaining to UK, but not so much to USA, So here's my notes for this side of the Pond...

Spirytus (Polish potato Vodka) at 192 Proof is available in some states, same for 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol.
    But other states prohibit the high alcohol content to only 150 proof Everclear.

Organic grape Alcohol @ a high proof is available, but since it doesn't concern me, I can't refer a source to anyone. (Except that Remet has it in 55 Gallon Drums)

200 proof ethyl Alcohol as well as 170 proof, 180 proof, and 190 proof denatured perfumers Alcohol is readily available from Remet Alcohols, in various types. I use the "39C" formulation of 190 mostly, and have not yet explored the lower proofs available. http://www.remetalcohol.com/

Now shipping around the country is considered "Hazardous", must go by ground, and is costly.
    Very fortunately for me, I live here in Southern California, Near Los Angeles, and I simply go by car and pick it up, saving a lot of hassle and money.

There is a limit of how much you can buy in a calendar year before paying taxes on your alcohol purchase, of five gallons. It was never a concern until this year, because now I've started my Perfumery Business, and I will be consuming alcohol, by selling it. To this point, a five gallon per year limit before taxes kicked in was not an issue...

That's my experience to this point in time...
    Last edited by pkiler; 12th April 2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Tennessee, USA...and I can buy 190 proof pure grain alcohol (Golden Grain brand) at every liquor store around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Argane View Post
    I believe Isopropyl myristate is a naturally-derived synthetic... How do you use it in formulation? In which proportion? Can we replace it by glycerin? Is there a natural substitute of Monopropylene glycol??
    aam also using Glycerine for same purpose with Ehtynol

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hack master View Post
    aam also using Glycerine for same purpose with Ehtynol
    Just to repeat once more that you do not need glycerine in perfume, despite the many places on the internet that tell you to add some, it is completely unnecessary and will result in solubility / miscibility problems in the majority of applications.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.