Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mitsouko finally likes me!

Until today,this fragrance has smelled on me like rotting peaches,hairspray and a barnyard where maybe an intestinal illness had hit all the animals.This surprised me as I have worn chypres and orientals all my scent loving life(I'm 36 now,so that's included some especially good decades for those categories)and have worn Shalimar on&off since high school and think it's fantastic.Kept trying with Mitsouko,as I frankly felt bad about myself for what my chemistry was doing to it.In the meantime,I fell in LOVE with Caleche and quit thinking of Mitsouko until today when I braved it again and-it's gorgeous!It's doing everything all the positive reviews here claim it does!I'm interested in similar stories and also if anyone has had this happen only to revert back to stink?And was it falling in love with Caleche that helped me along?Did I just need to be 36?Should we try this hard to "get" a fragrance?In this case,I believe it was worth it!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Default Re: Mitsouko finally likes me!

There are several fragrances that it's taken me some time before I could say I liked them, Mitsouko is one of them. The more you get involved in perfume and sampling different kinds, I think the broader your tastes begin to be. I like some perfumes now I never would have cared for a year ago. I'm glad Mitsouko is finally working for you, it truly is a masterpiece.
    Currently wearing: Lovestruck by Vera Wang

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club, PerfumedLady. In the past year or so, both Wordbird and I had the same transformational experience as you. Mitsouko has gone from I'd-rather-not-smell-it to nearly a daily default choice — vintage or new, extrait or edc. Maybe it takes maturity, exposure, who knows? A wonderful mystery.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well, I guess that gives me hope, too. Mitsouko is extremely tetchy on me. It likes me maybe one day out of the entire year, and then it's just lukewarm, not like looooove. ♥ I still hang onto my little bottle thinking that someday it will change its mind. Congratulations!

I'm still not keen on this frag, I wear it once or twice
    a month, hoping that I will someday 'get it' ... but as
    of now; nothing!

Well,I've finally had it on long enough to get to the drydown and oh,my,it's so beautiful!This time around I find it in a way similar to what Caleche has done for me from first testing in the drydown,but it's edgier.I've also gotten past the point where I get the aforementioned barnyard note(LOUDLY,I may add)and it just didn't do it this time-more a hint of dark forest dampness that is so mysterious.Kiliwia,I suspected that about the sampling;I've only recently started sampling the pre-1970's chypres.Quarry,thanks for the welcome,I'm so proud to be a member!Lillybelle,I am so glad I did hang on to my bottle;even if it does turn on me again it will be worth it to see what it can do even once.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th October 2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Left out a word.Too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I'm still not keen on this frag, I wear it once or twice
    a month, hoping that I will someday 'get it' ... but as
    of now; nothing!
    Someone else who just can't leave well enough alone!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Someone else who just can't leave well enough alone!
    Nope! I so wanna learn to love this one!

Blog Entries

Mitsouko is more than a mere fragrance, but rather is a living, passionate spirit whose essence befriends those whom she chooses to accompany on a life path of intimacy. Mitsouko, I think, was inspired by a muse who conferred upon her a life of her own and so she lives on and I with her, always.

I 'got' this gal as immediately as I did L'Heure Bleue, and these twin behemoths of perfumery make my life worth living on days when it seems it isn't.

Shalimar I still don't fully comprehend(maybe because I don't detect much richness in the drydown) but I could sniff the tarty topnotes all day! And the extrait from the 70s is arriving soon and via that, I hope to elevate this to(& replicate) Mitsouko's heavenliness on my skin.

Blog Entries

i felt the same with Samsara and Shalimar
    when i first tried Samsara it smelled like a
    Doctor's Office Shalimar at first sniff was
    to heavy but after a few tries it finally grew
    on me now i love them both

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mitsouko is more than a mere fragrance, but rather is a living, passionate spirit whose essence befriends those whom she chooses to accompany on a life path of intimacy. Mitsouko, I think, was inspired by a muse who conferred upon her a life of her own and so she lives on and I with her, always.
    What a beautiful and poetic way to describe her.Domperrier,you and I are scent opposite twins!I got Shalimar on first try at around age 14.That was in the 1980's and I know your 70's version will be incredible.Weimar,you remind me that I need to give Samsara another whirl,too.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Domperrier,you and I are scent opposite twins!I got Shalimar on first try at around age 14.That was in the 1980's and I know your 70's version will be incredible.
    Haha. That's an interesting way to put it...

It's quite an achievement for a young girl to 'get' Shalimar, especially when the NYT describes it as a 'high-octane' scent for mothers rather than daughters.

Hopefully I'll like the vintage better...

Basenotes Institution

Congrats ! Mitsouko is my No 1 scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!

It took a year or two and six test-drives before Mitsouko and I got along but it was more than worth the trouble.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Congratulations! Ain't it grand to finally "get" her?

I finally had my own Mitsouko revelatory moment just this summer (after periodic sampling for 20 YEARS!) Once her mysterious code cracked I declared, like Scarlett O'Hara with her oath about hunger, I will never be without Mitsouko again! (Picture knit in silhouette against flaming sunset, holding bottle over head- orchestra swells. The End.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Bronze by Ellen Tracy

Congratulations. But you do not have to get Mitsouko. She has to allow you to get her.

I have always been mysified by people saying they cannot wear Mitsouko. From first spray in my early twenties in the eighties we have been the best of friends. I read reviews of damp forests, mossy etc. On me she has always been bright sunshine with a languid sexual feel under the trees in ancient Greece feel. Zeus drinking wine on a hot afternoon watching the nymphs with interest.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Alaïa by Azzedine Alaïa

I fell in love with Mitsouko straight away, when my sister bought
    me a canister for my 21st birthday, way back in 1975. It smelled
    very sophisticated and wordly to my untrained nose and I felt
    so great wearing it back then.
    Has it been reformulated since those days does anyone know?
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

It likes me just fine. I'm kind of so-so on it, though, particularly in its modern incarnation.

Mitsouko and I don't get along... be it the current EdT or vintage EdC. But we don't have to, there are other loves for both us out there

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It likes me just fine. I'm kind of so-so on it, though, particularly in its modern incarnation.
    This is more or less my view. I really enjoy vintage Mitsouko which had some bite to it, but I'm not so thrilled by the soft and bright current formulation. It's very pretty, but less interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    It's quite an achievement for a young girl to 'get' Shalimar, especially when the NYT describes it as a 'high-octane' scent for mothers rather than daughters.

Hopefully I'll like the vintage better...
    Ha!Those NYT people are funny!My mother could have never pulled off Shalimar!And,don't give me any awards for my achievement-Shalimar's notes are all pretty much can't-misses with me.I love most anything that reminds me of it even a little!I do so hope it reveals its beauty to you.Kewart,yes it is reformulated,the version I have had my "experience" with is 2009 EDP.Mimi,I noticed your comments awhile back in a "no compliments" thread and let me just say you smell fabulous!Tigrushka,I want your avatar!Knit-what a hilarious image!This thread is so much fun for me and thanks to those who are more on the "meh" side of the fence(or the "just don't like"side) for replying,too.I am very interested in all of these opinions!Donna255,that was the source of my anxiety-I wanted her to let me see how lovely she was and I knew she wasn't supposed to smell the way she had been on me!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th October 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    This is more or less my view. I really enjoy vintage Mitsouko which had some bite to it, but I'm not so thrilled by the soft and bright current formulation. It's very pretty, but less interesting.
    Tott,

My only exposure to it so far is the current version. I like its green opening but not sure if its for me. I have only tested it. I need to give it a proper test. Just not sure If it suits me. I been trying the older ones just to learn more of different styles at different times. Guerlain is easy house to do this. So far Jicky is my favorite and I am talking Pure Parfum. I think eventually I will like Mitsouko.

Cheers!
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I fell in love with Mitsouko straight away, when my sister bought
    me a canister for my 21st birthday, way back in 1975. It smelled
    very sophisticated and wordly to my untrained nose and I felt
    so great wearing it back then.
    Has it been reformulated since those days does anyone know?
    Well the took the oakmoss out and put in tree moss instead. But I don't know the current version at all. I have parfum but believe it to be the oakmoss version.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Alaïa by Azzedine Alaïa

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Congratulations. But you do not have to get Mitsouko. She has to allow you to get her.

I have always been mysified by people saying they cannot wear Mitsouko. From first spray in my early twenties in the eighties we have been the best of friends. I read reviews of damp forests, mossy etc. On me she has always been bright sunshine with a languid sexual feel under the trees in ancient Greece feel. Zeus drinking wine on a hot afternoon watching the nymphs with interest.
    For me, Mitsouko evokes a wooded parkland in autumn, and it has 19th c. gothic haunted vibes as well, but not in darkness, in golden autumnal light, rather, with a nip in the air, and a sense of solitude, and I can hear leaves crunching underfoot. I get very specific imagery from it. Doesn't mean I can actually wear it, but it affects my psyche. It's as if I'm getting past life images.

Well the took the oakmoss out and put in tree moss instead. But I don't know the current version at all. I have parfum but believe it to be the oakmoss version.
    The peach is also softer in the current formulation; I like the old sour peach...

Blog Entries

What a beautiful poetic description! Gosh, I want us to be friends too -- but alas. Maybe some day.

I grew up with Mitsouko, but I can't wear it because it's my mother's perfume. It would just seem wrong. I'll wear any other Guerlain that she likes, but to wear Mitsouko would seem like theft.

I loved her from the first, astounding, startling sniff! (although there are indeed many scents that require many samplings and the passage of time for me to understand, or love them.)
    I love the poetry she is inspiring in many of these descriptions... she is such a work of art, to be interpreted and felt so variously and deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Mitsuoko never likes me so therefor I'm selling a vintage Mitsouko Edc 45 ml AND a vintage Shalimar Edc 45 ml for $90. Bottles are FULL.
    Anyone??