Code of Conduct

Default Mitsouko finally likes me!

Until today,this fragrance has smelled on me like rotting peaches,hairspray and a barnyard where maybe an intestinal illness had hit all the animals.This surprised me as I have worn chypres and orientals all my scent loving life(I'm 36 now,so that's included some especially good decades for those categories)and have worn Shalimar on&off since high school and think it's fantastic.Kept trying with Mitsouko,as I frankly felt bad about myself for what my chemistry was doing to it.In the meantime,I fell in LOVE with Caleche and quit thinking of Mitsouko until today when I braved it again and-it's gorgeous!It's doing everything all the positive reviews here claim it does!I'm interested in similar stories and also if anyone has had this happen only to revert back to stink?And was it falling in love with Caleche that helped me along?Did I just need to be 36?Should we try this hard to "get" a fragrance?In this case,I believe it was worth it!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mitsouko finally likes me!

There are several fragrances that it's taken me some time before I could say I liked them, Mitsouko is one of them. The more you get involved in perfume and sampling different kinds, I think the broader your tastes begin to be. I like some perfumes now I never would have cared for a year ago. I'm glad Mitsouko is finally working for you, it truly is a masterpiece.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the club, PerfumedLady. In the past year or so, both Wordbird and I had the same transformational experience as you. Mitsouko has gone from I'd-rather-not-smell-it to nearly a daily default choice — vintage or new, extrait or edc. Maybe it takes maturity, exposure, who knows? A wonderful mystery.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well, I guess that gives me hope, too. Mitsouko is extremely tetchy on me. It likes me maybe one day out of the entire year, and then it's just lukewarm, not like looooove. ♥ I still hang onto my little bottle thinking that someday it will change its mind. Congratulations!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm still not keen on this frag, I wear it once or twice
    a month, hoping that I will someday 'get it' ... but as
    of now; nothing!

Well,I've finally had it on long enough to get to the drydown and oh,my,it's so beautiful!This time around I find it in a way similar to what Caleche has done for me from first testing in the drydown,but it's edgier.I've also gotten past the point where I get the aforementioned barnyard note(LOUDLY,I may add)and it just didn't do it this time-more a hint of dark forest dampness that is so mysterious.Kiliwia,I suspected that about the sampling;I've only recently started sampling the pre-1970's chypres.Quarry,thanks for the welcome,I'm so proud to be a member!Lillybelle,I am so glad I did hang on to my bottle;even if it does turn on me again it will be worth it to see what it can do even once.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th October 2010 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Left out a word.Too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I'm still not keen on this frag, I wear it once or twice
    a month, hoping that I will someday 'get it' ... but as
    of now; nothing!
    Someone else who just can't leave well enough alone!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Someone else who just can't leave well enough alone!
    Nope! I so wanna learn to love this one!

Blog Entries

Mitsouko is more than a mere fragrance, but rather is a living, passionate spirit whose essence befriends those whom she chooses to accompany on a life path of intimacy. Mitsouko, I think, was inspired by a muse who conferred upon her a life of her own and so she lives on and I with her, always.

I 'got' this gal as immediately as I did L'Heure Bleue, and these twin behemoths of perfumery make my life worth living on days when it seems it isn't.

Shalimar I still don't fully comprehend(maybe because I don't detect much richness in the drydown) but I could sniff the tarty topnotes all day! And the extrait from the 70s is arriving soon and via that, I hope to elevate this to(& replicate) Mitsouko's heavenliness on my skin.

Blog Entries

i felt the same with Samsara and Shalimar
    when i first tried Samsara it smelled like a
    Doctor's Office Shalimar at first sniff was
    to heavy but after a few tries it finally grew
    on me now i love them both

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mitsouko is more than a mere fragrance, but rather is a living, passionate spirit whose essence befriends those whom she chooses to accompany on a life path of intimacy. Mitsouko, I think, was inspired by a muse who conferred upon her a life of her own and so she lives on and I with her, always.
    What a beautiful and poetic way to describe her.Domperrier,you and I are scent opposite twins!I got Shalimar on first try at around age 14.That was in the 1980's and I know your 70's version will be incredible.Weimar,you remind me that I need to give Samsara another whirl,too.

Domperrier,you and I are scent opposite twins!I got Shalimar on first try at around age 14.That was in the 1980's and I know your 70's version will be incredible.
    Haha. That's an interesting way to put it...

It's quite an achievement for a young girl to 'get' Shalimar, especially when the NYT describes it as a 'high-octane' scent for mothers rather than daughters.

Hopefully I'll like the vintage better...

Basenotes Institution

Congrats ! Mitsouko is my No 1 scent !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Welcome to the club!

It took a year or two and six test-drives before Mitsouko and I got along but it was more than worth the trouble.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations! Ain't it grand to finally "get" her?

I finally had my own Mitsouko revelatory moment just this summer (after periodic sampling for 20 YEARS!) Once her mysterious code cracked I declared, like Scarlett O'Hara with her oath about hunger, I will never be without Mitsouko again! (Picture knit in silhouette against flaming sunset, holding bottle over head- orchestra swells. The End.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Congratulations. But you do not have to get Mitsouko. She has to allow you to get her.

I have always been mysified by people saying they cannot wear Mitsouko. From first spray in my early twenties in the eighties we have been the best of friends. I read reviews of damp forests, mossy etc. On me she has always been bright sunshine with a languid sexual feel under the trees in ancient Greece feel. Zeus drinking wine on a hot afternoon watching the nymphs with interest.
    DONNA

I fell in love with Mitsouko straight away, when my sister bought
    me a canister for my 21st birthday, way back in 1975. It smelled
    very sophisticated and wordly to my untrained nose and I felt
    so great wearing it back then.
    Has it been reformulated since those days does anyone know?
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

It likes me just fine. I'm kind of so-so on it, though, particularly in its modern incarnation.

Mitsouko and I don't get along... be it the current EdT or vintage EdC. But we don't have to, there are other loves for both us out there

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It likes me just fine. I'm kind of so-so on it, though, particularly in its modern incarnation.
    This is more or less my view. I really enjoy vintage Mitsouko which had some bite to it, but I'm not so thrilled by the soft and bright current formulation. It's very pretty, but less interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    It's quite an achievement for a young girl to 'get' Shalimar, especially when the NYT describes it as a 'high-octane' scent for mothers rather than daughters.

Hopefully I'll like the vintage better...
    Ha!Those NYT people are funny!My mother could have never pulled off Shalimar!And,don't give me any awards for my achievement-Shalimar's notes are all pretty much can't-misses with me.I love most anything that reminds me of it even a little!I do so hope it reveals its beauty to you.Kewart,yes it is reformulated,the version I have had my "experience" with is 2009 EDP.Mimi,I noticed your comments awhile back in a "no compliments" thread and let me just say you smell fabulous!Tigrushka,I want your avatar!Knit-what a hilarious image!This thread is so much fun for me and thanks to those who are more on the "meh" side of the fence(or the "just don't like"side) for replying,too.I am very interested in all of these opinions!Donna255,that was the source of my anxiety-I wanted her to let me see how lovely she was and I knew she wasn't supposed to smell the way she had been on me!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th October 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    This is more or less my view. I really enjoy vintage Mitsouko which had some bite to it, but I'm not so thrilled by the soft and bright current formulation. It's very pretty, but less interesting.
    Tott,

My only exposure to it so far is the current version. I like its green opening but not sure if its for me. I have only tested it. I need to give it a proper test. Just not sure If it suits me. I been trying the older ones just to learn more of different styles at different times. Guerlain is easy house to do this. So far Jicky is my favorite and I am talking Pure Parfum. I think eventually I will like Mitsouko.

Cheers!
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I fell in love with Mitsouko straight away, when my sister bought
    me a canister for my 21st birthday, way back in 1975. It smelled
    very sophisticated and wordly to my untrained nose and I felt
    so great wearing it back then.
    Has it been reformulated since those days does anyone know?
    Well the took the oakmoss out and put in tree moss instead. But I don't know the current version at all. I have parfum but believe it to be the oakmoss version.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Congratulations. But you do not have to get Mitsouko. She has to allow you to get her.

I have always been mysified by people saying they cannot wear Mitsouko. From first spray in my early twenties in the eighties we have been the best of friends. I read reviews of damp forests, mossy etc. On me she has always been bright sunshine with a languid sexual feel under the trees in ancient Greece feel. Zeus drinking wine on a hot afternoon watching the nymphs with interest.
    For me, Mitsouko evokes a wooded parkland in autumn, and it has 19th c. gothic haunted vibes as well, but not in darkness, in golden autumnal light, rather, with a nip in the air, and a sense of solitude, and I can hear leaves crunching underfoot. I get very specific imagery from it. Doesn't mean I can actually wear it, but it affects my psyche. It's as if I'm getting past life images.

Well the took the oakmoss out and put in tree moss instead. But I don't know the current version at all. I have parfum but believe it to be the oakmoss version.
    The peach is also softer in the current formulation; I like the old sour peach...

Blog Entries

What a beautiful poetic description! Gosh, I want us to be friends too -- but alas. Maybe some day.

I grew up with Mitsouko, but I can't wear it because it's my mother's perfume. It would just seem wrong. I'll wear any other Guerlain that she likes, but to wear Mitsouko would seem like theft.

I loved her from the first, astounding, startling sniff! (although there are indeed many scents that require many samplings and the passage of time for me to understand, or love them.)
    I love the poetry she is inspiring in many of these descriptions... she is such a work of art, to be interpreted and felt so variously and deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Mitsuoko never likes me so therefor I'm selling a vintage Mitsouko Edc 45 ml AND a vintage Shalimar Edc 45 ml for $90. Bottles are FULL.
    Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Anyone??
    If you want to sell/buy/swap stuff you should do it in the BN market place. And please read the guidelines.

Tott,thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    I love the poetry she is inspiring in many of these descriptions... she is such a work of art, to be interpreted and felt so variously and deeply.
    So true for me,too!Especially the variously part-not just in our interpretation of the scent molecules themselves,but the responses it evokes.Think of the lovely generosity of Ratfink leaving it to her mother and of knit_at_nite persisting in the struggle for 20(!) years.How romantic to have won Mitsouko's heart after that!Bravo to those of you who won her over on first try!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th October 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: sp

Blog Entries

Mitsouko is to fragrance as the Mona Lisa is to painting; a truly priceless work of the fragrance art. She is seduction, she is mystery incarnate.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!
    It hit me when I was using the extrait for the first time; how really perfect this scent is.

Welcome to the club! Yes, as Quarry said, it took me years of trying to understand what the heck everyone was raving about. But I didn't like oakmoss back then, so all I got was bitterness and peach air freshener.
    Now, I love the oakmoss, and I wear my Mitzy perfectly happily... as long as I'm in the mood for peaches! Nowadays that's the aspect that occasionally bothers me.

I still have to admit that I prefer Jicky because it's more 'me'. Though now Mitsouko has been mentioned, I think I might just have to make it my SOTD.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Wordbird,I hoped I'd hear from you after Quarry's post!It's so nice to know I'm not the only recent "convert".That peach note really is tricky,isn't it?
    [QUOTE=Wordbird;1956549]

I still have to admit that I prefer Jicky because it's more 'me'. Though now Mitsouko has been mentioned, I think I might just have to make it my SOTD. [/QUOTE
    This thread has made me want to try vintage Mitsouko,retry Samsara and I'll now add trying Jicky to that list.I've been reading on it lately and it does sound very "me",too.I'll be hitting up TPC very soon!
    I have been helped so greatly in my understanding of Mitsouko by all the responses here;all of your opinions,stories and poetry are wonderful.Now,when I wear Mitsouko,I will always think of this thread and my fellow Basenoters.I hope someday soon some of you who are still trying with her will be able to post back here that Mitsouko likes you,too!

Sorry,can't get that quote to display right!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 11th October 2010 at 06:55 PM.

I've just tried it again and...it still makes me sad. An immediate mood killer for me. One of those fragrances I appreciate but just can't wear.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I've just tried it again and...it still makes me sad. An immediate mood killer for me. One of those fragrances I appreciate but just can't wear.
    So funny you should post this;that's EXACTLY what I would have said before(and that I smelled like poo!)It made me downright melancholy.Something happened on Saturday,though,I sniffed it and all I thought was "That smells,well,pretty!".I finally got that sun-dappled,sparkling quality I've always found in chypres.Still not sure how often I will wear it;I have such a casual lifestyle and this seems for my personality more for an "occasion".How nice that we can appreciate things that aren't always for us,it can only expand our horizons.

@Perfumed Lady: Well. at least it doesn't smell like poo to me, so there is much hope left!
    It does flip a melancholy switch, though, and just sampling it has changed my mood, slowed me down. I"m convinced I have a lost, sad memory linked to this fragrance.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Isn't it wonderful for a bauble from Daisy Gatsby's dressing table to be so loved and treasured today? I can hear long gone voices and laughter, tinkling ice cubes, rustling silks.....

reine

Jicky is more "me", too. I had to go spritz Mitsouko after reading this thread, too! I don't hate it (mine is edt with tree moss) but it definitely flips my melancholy switch, too. Weather conditions and locale have to be perfect for this one. The clove bothers me - maybe that's due to the formulation I have. I do admire that flip-switching ability. To me, that is its genius, and I get it more in Mitsouko than L'Heure Bleue.

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    Isn't it wonderful for a bauble from Daisy Gatsby's dressing table to be so loved and treasured today? I can hear long gone voices and laughter, tinkling ice cubes, rustling silks.....
    So you get haunted Mitsouko as well.

@PerfumedLady,

My 1 oz '70s Shalimar extrait arrived today! Which was incidentally obtained after a bidding war with 12 other bidders...but went under the hammer for a surprisingly reasonable $68.

What a cure for a banged-up back from the night before!

The resinous, velvety richness....the dense smokiness!

Domperrier,YAY!I'm so glad it finally clicked with you!I don't mind the current formulation,but I know women older than me who have much more experience with pre-1980's vintage than I do,and they mostly feel the new Shalimar is too "lemon custard" compared to the vintage.I agree it did used to be much more resinous and incense-y.You're grabbing some fantastic deals,so no need to feel like you can't use it up!There's much more vintage Shalimar out there to be had,so enjoy!Now you see why I fell in love so easily with it.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 15th October 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Mitsouko is, so far, the only Guerlain I enjoy. It was my first blind buy and I, too, was blown away at first sniff. Mitsouko has an air of dark melancholy for me, though. It's not one of my top 5 and is very powerful on me, which is usually a good thing... but I feel like this one ought to be a little more subtle. My bottle is 1980s edt, and I'm not one to engage in bidding wars, so once it's gone, it's gone. Still, I like knowing I have it.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 15th October 2010 at 04:16 PM.

I'll come out of the closet: I don't like Mitsouko. The modern eau de toilette, which is the only formulation I have been able to get my hands on. I had a large spray at Schiphol before I left for the states, and... mweh...
    I will keep trying then
    I am nuts about chypres and oakmoss... Maybe that's it. No more oakmoss...

btw, The big perfume shop at schiphol has a lot of Amouage testers! They are all at the bottom shelf, you really need to look for them, but once you found them you can spray freely!

Domperrier,YAY!I'm so glad it finally clicked with you!I don't mind the current formulation,but I know women older than me who have much more experience with pre-1980's vintage than I do,and they mostly feel the new Shalimar is too "lemon custard" compared to the vintage.I agree it did used to be much more resinous and incense-y.You're grabbing some fantastic deals,so no need to feel like you can't use it up!There's much more vintage Shalimar out there to be had,so enjoy!Now you see why I fell in love so easily with it.
    I can't believe how vintage Shalimar extrait is so leathery!It should be lumped in the same category as all those leather scents like Cabochard & the Cuir de Russies.

Except that maybe the 'leather' note comes from an overdoes of resins, and not a deliberate one.

The '90s EDP & parfum are tame shadows compared to this dusky lady!
    Last edited by domperrier; 16th October 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Except that maybe the 'leather' note comes from an overdoes of resins, and not a deliberate one.
    I've always thought it came from that,combined with the iris as it dries down.I remember when I was younger being so impatient for that drydown!

I've always thought it came from that,combined with the iris as it dries down.I remember when I was younger being so impatient for that drydown!
    I'm applying it yet again today for the drydown too!

Powdery and surprisingly sweet!

Thus, this oriental wonder has nudged Chanel No. 19 out of 3rd place, just behind LHB & Mitsy in 1st & 2nd place respectively.

Glad we love each other's favourites!
    Last edited by domperrier; 16th October 2010 at 06:12 AM.

Congratulations perfumed Lady! It's so nice to begin to love a fragrance that you didn't get from the start. I don't love Mitsouko but I like it more now after three years. I think other fragrances with oakmoss have made this happen: Vie de Château and Hasu-no-Hana comes to my mind.

Glad we love each other's favourites!
    Me,too-now we are truly scent opposite twins!

Novis2007-thank you,and I haven't tried the fragrances you mention-I'll have to check those out too!

I concur with Tott - the older extrait holds a lot more interest. The newest version has been cleaned-up too much for my taste.

Teddius

Hi Perfumed Lady, I totally, grok this experience. Had something similar happen four years ago and wrote about it in this thread
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/189......?highlight=
    Had to dig it out after reading yours! But I am 48, so you got there a decade earlier than I did!
    Mitzi - what a vixen she is!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Rtamara41,thank you so much for posting that link!I searched the forums before I posted because I was certain there must be one like this,but guess what happens when you use "Mitsouko" as your search keyword?!That's right-the results go on for days!I went as far back as 2009 before I went cross-eyed!I'm so glad you did dig it out-I'm interested in all the personal stories I can find on this one,and I LOVE that thread title!Sure does sum it up quite well!Reading through the posts on this thread,I have come to the conclusion that Mitsouko must discriminate on something other than age,as many of these posters fell in love with her while they were still so young.Maybe we had to be into mid-life before we were woman enough(or man enough in many cases) for her!

I had the same experience. I tried it every year around Mother's Day at my local Filene's (R.I.P.) Always got the same result: very sour and bitter. None of the goodness anyone described in reviews. This was the edt, I believe. When I tried it again at Sephora, I think, it was everything everyone said it was. I don't reach for it often as the two bottles I bought @ NYC fragrance district are the reformulated edt. Would really love to try the vintage parfum, edp and edt...

I find it strange and fascinating that reactions are so varied with the same individuals over time. What is that about? No other perfume has quite the same effect, I guess.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Catching up on posts right now... PerfumedLady - thanks for the compliment ! - I will take all I can as I get soooo few ! *LOL*
    Mitsouko - I got her right away - it was love at first smell and an love affair ensued . It never really went away though I stopped wearing Mitsouko for some years ( part of an emotional ,spiritual 'melt down' I went through ) . I can say I will never stop again - so intrinsically part of me - no other perfume can replace her though I love many.
    I read somewhere that a good perfume is one that you don't totally understand - I can go with that.
    I don't understand completely how Mitsouko evokes such different reactions in people or her 'hold' on me and I guess that is a sign of a truly great perfume.

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree with Mimi Gardenia. As her name in Japanese infers, Mitsouko is a "mystery" that is constantly revealing, yet never fully revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Catching up on posts right now... PerfumedLady - thanks for the compliment ! - I will take all I can as I get soooo few ! *LOL*
    Mitsouko - I got her right away - it was love at first smell and an love affair ensued . It never really went away though I stopped wearing Mitsouko for some years ( part of an emotional ,spiritual 'melt down' I went through ) . I can say I will never stop again - so intrinsically part of me - no other perfume can replace her though I love many.
    I read somewhere that a good perfume is one that you don't totally understand - I can go with that.
    I don't understand completely how Mitsouko evokes such different reactions in people or her 'hold' on me and I guess that is a sign of a truly great perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, D - a perfect name for a perfect perfume.

You're welcome,Mimi!I hope you do always keep Mitsouko in your wardrobe-you look like the sort of woman who would wear it well,even as a casual everyday scent,which I'm still not sure I can pull off.I feel so under-dressed when I wear it with my jeans and tees but I'm not sure why!I am happy to report that this mystery of a fragrance does still like me!I've been wearing it on and off since my original post and still no barnyards,spoiled fruit or hauntings(except by the replies to this thread,which I love!).Now I can understand it's place as the Mother of All Chypres!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 11th November 2010 at 02:55 PM.