Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance categories

Here's also a suggestion:
    I wish Basenotes had a Category (male & female) List of fragrances characterized as predominantly florals, fruits, fougeres, aquas or blues, grasses or greens, chypre or woods. orientals or spices, tobaccos, etc...or however best (professionally) they could/should be categorized...I know there is a certain amount of cross-over of elements...if Basenotes does have such a category page I have not as yet been able to find it...

Here might be a starting point from - http://www.janmoran.com/perfume_101.html#Overwhelmed

Popular fragrance categories:

Floral single flowers or classic floral blends, fresh, fruity, or powdery
    Citrus Fruity lemon, orange, bergamot, apple, berries
    Aquatic rain-fresh or ocean aromas
    Nature Greens fresh-mown grass and spring leaves
    Oriental vanilla-ambery or spicy-woody, floral Oriental blends
    Chypre citrus, patchouli, moss
    Fougère(meaning fern) well-balanced citrus, lavender, woods (popular masculine fragrances)
    Woody pine, cedar, sandalwood, patchouli

Though more from purely a woman's perspective here's another good site that also makes the case better than I: http://puckeypower.com/?p=15347

"Though there are many different kinds of scents, and the category of scent can vary, but there are five major categories, which are floral, fruity, woody, greens and oriental . One can combine two or more categories together to create a new scent. The combination of each category in different proportion will lead to different scent. So knowing about the major notes that each category holds will help you in experiment and play with scents. It will be of great fun."

*Wish I'd also capitalized the C in "categories"...does anyone know if I can do so and, obviously, how?...and WOW! this humble forum is already prominently listed in Google...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Default Re: Fragrance categories

As far as I know, Basenotes does not have and chooses not to use such a system.

I recall reading posts in the past about this. Grant himself may have contributed, I don't remember. The gist was that there are no standardized fragrance categories and no standard system in use within the industry. I suppose the most widely used system might be the one used by Michael Edwards.

The placement of fragrances into various categories is subjective and highly flexible, especially with some perfumers now blending elements of different traditional categories to create "hybrid" scents. I think Basenotes wants to stay away from such arbitrary and subjective classifications.

I don't mean to speak for Basenotes, but that is my understanding.

But I do think that some sort of "similar perfumes" or "if you like this you might like that" feature might be useful to the community as a whole.
    Last edited by noggs; 10th October 2010 at 08:12 AM.

I agree, do not pidgeonhole fragrances because there is not a clear boundary between categories, it is more of a smooth transition from one to the next.

First, thanks for your respective comments & insights...

In general I agree as well but categories / labels are used by most members who comment here...there is a certain convenience, and certain fragrances obviously fit better within certain monikers...the boundaries between categories may very well be unclear and there are obviously a lot of cross-over...one can, and should, describe the multi-layered complexities of a fragrance pointing out their cross-over aromas while still having individual scents fall into general categories...a spicey oriental is far from a tropical aqua...

Here also is a comment I left for someone who raised the same question in another forum:

I had the same question & posted a simple list of basic categories from another site. I subsequently received this comment from noggs:

(noggs quote as seen above cited here)

There are various sites that list various, somewhat similar categorizations...I don't know why Basenotes prefers to avoid such lists, although I essentially agree with noggs' comment, most who write here refer themselves to categories such as fougeres, chypres, herbals, aquas, florals, orientals, etc...I agree there are definitely cross-over aromas yet essential categories can be, and herein actually are, used in at least a general way for the inevitable sake of convenience...obviously more detailed descriptions are also called for, and herein are also generally articulated...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 04:28 AM.

Noggs,,,Thanks 4 ur reply & commentary...I quoted & referenced you in a reply to another member in another forum who raised the same question...I agree that categorizations can be subjective and that within the complex and subtle layering of aromas there is a significant degree of over-lap...to undoubtedly state the obvious, creating a fragrance is an art far more than it is a science and therein lies its subjectivity...that subjectivity includes the chemistry of ones own skin as well as the preferences and sophistication of ones own "nose" and I firmly believe, though it is seldom ever mentioned, it also depends on one's background, experience and even where one is from...yet in the end general categories can be useful and helpful, & particularly here, especially if one is looking for a type of fragrance eg. aquas or orientals or fougeres or chypres, whatever...I think there is a dominant element / type / categorization into which a particular fragrance falls; other subtleties, complexities, layers as sub-distinctions can, and should, be noted in descriptions...a fragrance might fall into a range of categories - though in general a rather narrow range...and just as a fragrance can fall into a rather limited range of categories, a category might apply to a rather large range of fragrances (if that makes any scents)...I've added further observations / commentary below, or is it above...thanks again for taking the time to read much less comment on / reply to my initial suggestion...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 05:25 AM.

Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Thanks mucho 4 all the references / hyperlinks...I'll check them out...They will undoubtedly be of use to others as well...I originally only found a few links of any value but it was an an initial attempt and I probably wasn't using the best key words / key phrase...Thanks again...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 04:56 PM.

Just went through them. And they are some excellent reference sites (my favorites below - better than my initial references above), thanks to Master-Classe...definitely worth checking out:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/03/09...ance-families/

http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-glossary/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragrance_wheel

http://www.fragrancesoftheworld.com/...eel/index.html

http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...tegoryId=C8084

Even a link regarding body odor (we also need to be reminded how bad we can smell...more the reason to get into fragrances):

http://www.slate.com/id/2214615/

Thanks again Master-Classe

No Prob! We're all here to share and learn.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads