Code of Conduct

Default First impressions of Geo F Trumper

I have been able to sample some of Trumper's colognes and thought I would post my first impressions. This will be far from an analitical critique I will just write down what I am smelling.

Bay rum:Smells more like pumpkin pie. I think my brother is going to love this one.

cologne: Neroli heaven for those who love it.

Wild Fern: Not too bad for those who want a vegetal smell, very british, semi barbershopy. I will have to smell this one more often.

eau de quinine: very perfumy, a powdery rosemary.

skye: rosemary with geranium, but i get musk and neroli.

GFT cologne: a lot of lemon, a bit too tart for me.

I hope this gave a rough overview of some of their offerings. I know it was brief but as I said I am just going by what I am smelling on the first impression. Hope it was helpful.

Default Re: First impressions of Geo F Trumper

Out of all the Trumper scents I've sampled, I liked GFT the best, but I can see why you might think it's too tart. They seem very classically British fragrances, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Out of all the Trumper scents I've sampled, I liked GFT the best, but I can see why you might think it's too tart. They seem very classically British fragrances, IMO.
    it seems so, many older fashioned colognes are made more linear it seems. I am more into woodsy, leathery, vetiver type of colognes, strong or at least medium powered and masculine.

GFT were one of the first companies I ever purchased a sample set from, they're cheap as well. To be honest I didn't find any of them long lasting or inspiring, the GFT cologne being the only one to grab my attention. Having tried many other lemon scents over the years, to me it smells like a watered down version of Acqua Viva by Profvmvm lol
    For anyone interested in their products, certainly buy a sample set. They also put loads of other freebies in as well for me

Of the Trumper colognes I've sampled:

Bay Rum - vile clove smelling concoction that makes me think of the dentist.

GFT - simply awesome.

Sandalwood - starts off dowdy ends up beautiful.

Spanish Leather - ok leather scent, there are better out there, such as Equipage.

Eucris - great opening, generic woody fragrance thereafter, L'Homme Etre Aimee is much much better.

Cologne - good take on a traditional cologne.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I want to try royal and spanish leather i heard those two are really good.

I'm always glad to see discussion of Trumper. In my opinion, their strongest scents are the pre-1950's scents such as Curzon, Marlborough, Wild Fern, Eucris, Astor. Lots of verve and panache there, at a good price. Their more recent stuff seems somewhat derivative and generic to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I'm always glad to see discussion of Trumper. In my opinion, their strongest scents are the pre-1950's scents such as Curzon, Marlborough, Wild Fern, Eucris, Astor. Lots of verve and panache there, at a good price. Their more recent stuff seems somewhat derivative and generic to me.
    Wild fern is not bad but it smells too much like mint and i am not a mint guy. Bay rum right now is a fav but i definitely wanted to try their colognes and it is not bad, but some are too light for me.

Don't forget Wellington and Marlborough. They are my favorite Geo. F. Trumper fragrances.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Another vote for Curzon and Marlborough. Also try Ajaccio Violets.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Portugal as well. Heck, they're all pretty good.