Code of Conduct

Default My declaration of love to Gucci Pour Homme I

ahhh Gucci Pour Homme I. There are some type of people that love this kind of scent, and some that hate it. I am one of those people that usually HATE this type of fragrance. But there was just something different about it. I didnt like it when i sniffed the bottle or even on paper, but just for experiement sake, i sprayed it on my forearm, let it cook for a second, and WOW. Its just something else on my skin. Its not OVERpeppery or overpowering. Its so deeply woody, that it almost smells like a sweet woody scent on my skin. I think its an amazing fragrance, and although its strictly a winter fragrance, i believe it can be used for many different occasions during the winter. Obviously when ur wearing a suit and tie, but i think it would be great for a night out when ur wearing a leather jacket becasue the fragrance is kinda "bad ass" so it all ties into eachother. Also, even though its not a sweet or young smelling fragrance, some girls seem to really like it . Cant wait til this swap is complete and im getting it. I love it so much that im swapping away my Burberry Brit, something i used to really love, but has been kinda annoying to me lately.

what are YOUR opinions about this fragrance?

Default Re: My declaration of love to Gucci Pour Homme I

Assuming you are talking about this scent -- Gucci pour Homme by Gucci (2003) -- I didn't like it. I find the "pencil shavings" cedar smell unpleasant, and this fragrance was basically just that, from beginning to end.
    Jan Pieter

Blog Entries

I'll admit, it's a good one. It's one bad-ass honkin'-big wood scent. But you're cheating on Green Irish Tweed, Jonny. If GIT finds out you're seeing GPH-I on the side, you're in a shitload of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'll admit, it's a good one. It's one bad-ass honkin'-big wood scent. But you're cheating on Green Irish Tweed, Jonny. If GIT finds out you're seeing GPH-I on the side, you're in a shitload of trouble!

lol. he already walked in on me and pure malt making love hahah

and btw, am i the only one that gets some sweetness in Gucci PH I?? like its soo deeply woody that u can smell the swwet juices of the wood. i cant explain it. but yeah

I think GpH is amazing! Could pass for a niche scent.

Sur la Plage

IMO it is one of the best fragrances released from the last decade.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

To me, it smells exactly like the inside of a church. Lots of wood and incense. A beautiful scent.

I really like it! Sometimes a bit much but overall a very nice smooth woody scent.
    Acqua di Gi is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This is my husband's favorite fragrance, more than his Creed, and my favorite on him. I can still smell it on him after his shower.

Very nice frag! I get all the wood, i don't find it sweet but i do get some sorta coca cola kinda smell which i really nice.

Jonny i worry about your finances, you seem to be getting frags in at a worrying rate!

But from what i read you have great taste in frags so it's all good!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

As great as this scent may be to you right now I bet you'll be moving on to another frag within 3 weeks... Nothing wrong with the frags usually. 'tis just the nature of this hobby. Enjoy the honeymoon phase with GpH1!

One of the best fragrances of the decade and like CDG Avignon a go to fragrance for deep incense woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Music View Post
    Very nice frag! I get all the wood, i don't find it sweet but i do get some sorta coca cola kinda smell which i really nice.

Jonny i worry about your finances, you seem to be getting frags in at a worrying rate!

But from what i read you have great taste in frags so it's all good!
    lol well im getting this one in a swap so my finances are untouched! lol

Very classy stuff, but not a crowd-pleaser.

I liked it a lot, it was even one of the best for me for a good while, then suddenly i lost interest to it and now i almost hate it on me (at least). It was a kind of short-time affair with Gucci PH. I'm not sure why it happened, maybe the lack of sillage on my skin was one thing that counted - i still want the scent to project more - another thing is that i got bored to the extreme woodiness.

I am a huge fan of this fragrance. I would say that I have been in love with this one for longer than any other scent I have had. Its always nice to have some off beat fragrances with the usual lineup of crowd pleasers.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've also recently fallen for this one. And, just my luck, it happened just as Gucci (by all evidence) finally deleted the fragrance. Even Sephora, which from what I understand was the last US retailer to carry the scent, is now out of stock. The Gucci web site still lists the fragrance, but it's "backordered" until a month or two out. Sure, maybe they're just waiting for more stock, but I'm doubtful. Meantime, I nabbed a full-size bottle on eBay the other week. According to the date code, it's about four years old, but I'm hoping that won't make a big difference because I'm not sure that I'll find a newer bottle of this one now.

Meantime, yes, this one is beguiling. I disliked it at first, when all I got was dry dust. Now I'm addicted to the development from frankincense to dusty woods mixed with that creamy, almost vanilla-like amber/leather base. I agree with the earlier poster that there's a sweet facet that sets the dry peppery woods in context. Truly impressive stuff. So sad it's almost gone.

Oh yes, one of my all-time favorites. This is "Amber" when it's done right. For some reason BN'ers never seem to mention this as an Amber scent which it certainly is bigtime. That power (you may be trying to figure out) is so typical of Tom Ford. He did this one while at Gucci about 10 years ago. Amber scents (when done right) seem to have a way of winning you over, sooner or later. Gucci Pour Homme is a masterpiece IMHO. If you want to try GPH on steroids, I suggest you try Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

All around nice fragrance. Glad I own it.

Must Have IMO. A MasterPieceeeeeeeeee!!

It's fantastic. I agree that it has just the right amount of sweetness.

I feel it was reformulated a bit, but the bottle I have from 2005, is just outstanding. Gucci fragrances under Mr.Tom Ford
    were just stellar, once Frida Giannini became creative director, the fragrances became horrible.

Had it, sold it recently, I just didn't like it enough to keep it around. The times when I did wear it the pencil shavings just really got to me, I could barely enjoy the incense. CdG 2 Man replaced it for me.

I'm glad I discovered my love for this before it became harder to find.

I love you Gucci Pour Homme(2003).

(Just bought 2 bottles on Ebay.)

I'm in heaven. I've found my signature scent.

For now.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    ahhh Gucci Pour Homme I. There are some type of people that love this kind of scent, and some that hate it. I am one of those people that usually HATE this type of fragrance. But there was just something different about it. I didnt like it when i sniffed the bottle or even on paper, but just for experiement sake, i sprayed it on my forearm, let it cook for a second, and WOW. Its just something else on my skin. Its not OVERpeppery or overpowering. Its so deeply woody, that it almost smells like a sweet woody scent on my skin. I think its an amazing fragrance, and although its strictly a winter fragrance, i believe it can be used for many different occasions during the winter. Obviously when ur wearing a suit and tie, but i think it would be great for a night out when ur wearing a leather jacket becasue the fragrance is kinda "bad ass" so it all ties into eachother. Also, even though its not a sweet or young smelling fragrance, some girls seem to really like it . Cant wait til this swap is complete and im getting it. I love it so much that im swapping away my Burberry Brit, something i used to really love, but has been kinda annoying to me lately.

what are YOUR opinions about this fragrance?

I think it's a masterpiece and I love this stuff so much I stashed 3x 100ml and a 30ml travelspray of it when it was still for sale here! I don't agree on it being a winter fragrance only, at least not in my country. Can also be used, lighter applicated, in fall and spring imo. A classic and in 5 years or so one has to pay a fortune for it on ebay for sure!
    Last edited by Slayerized; 31st October 2012 at 09:19 AM.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

A winter classic and part of my core rotation.

Basenotes Plus

A modern masterpiece...period.
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Gucci Pour Homme I is beyond great. It is, as already written above, a masterpiece. I smell this and smell a wonderful woodsy combination with its peppery vibe. I adore this fragrance. I will be purchasing several bottles soon because it has been discontinued.

Dependent

Curious to try this one, though amber and incense without enough greenery don't always work for me. Was at a mall shop recently and dude had some 5ml minis he quoted $23 apiece for! Instead I bought a couple vintage Zino Davidoff 125ml bottles for the same price each

BIG fan here. Wonderful stuff. I still have half a bottle left.

Love this stuff got 1/5 left out of a 3.4 - Im saving it up till i can find a reasonable price for another. Any clue where to get some GPH1 for europe?

Took me about 3 times wearing it before i understood...This shit is great.

Count me among its fans--a truly great frag that is warm, masculine and sexy with a little retro feel to it. Great stuff and really wonderful packaging.

Lucked up and found the amber colored vintage at a beat up kiosk in a Charleston Mall. Great find to say the least. Love that bit of lead shavings and warm pepper. Excellent bottle as well. I just dont care for the green juice thats floating around now, but I guess its just what you get use to.

It is a masterpiece. Glad I got a large backup. The incense is similar to Memoir, but simpler and more straightforward. Ive considered buying CdG 2man and Vetiver 46, but I think I prefer the Gucci.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    Lucked up and found the amber colored vintage at a beat up kiosk in a Charleston Mall. Great find to say the least. Love that bit of lead shavings and warm pepper. Excellent bottle as well. I just dont care for the green juice thats floating around now, but I guess its just what you get use to.
    I thought that green juice as mentioned in another thread was a Gucci ph 2003 gone bad?! Is that green stuff sold at more places??
    Imo, Gucci stopped somewhere with the production in first half of 2011 which was the last sold big batch in some places over the world. (you can check the batch codes and last ones are from May 2011 as far as I know; after that it was discontinued regarding production).
    I could buy two of those last batch bottles (100ml's) and they smell (and look) the same as my other 100ml bottle and travel spray (30ml), both from 2009.
    I think there is no such thing as 'vintage' Gucci (2003) and from 2003-2011 it always looked and smelled the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I thought that green juice as mentioned in another thread was a Gucci ph 2003 gone bad?! Is that green stuff sold at more places??
    Imo, Gucci stopped somewhere with the production in first half of 2011 which was the last sold big batch in some places over the world. (you can check the batch codes and last ones are from May 2011 as far as I know; after that it was discontinued regarding production).
    I could buy two of those last batch bottles (100ml's) and they smell (and look) the same as my other 100ml bottle and travel spray (30ml), both from 2009.
    I think there is no such thing as 'vintage' Gucci (2003) and from 2003-2011 it always looked and smelled the same!
    Here is my experience this past summer. I have seen and smelled the green in more than one location. Sephoria in Knoxville,TN, Perfumania in Pegion Forge TN, and also Sephoria in Charlseton WV. The green color looks quite intentional to me as it was very clear and consistant, and it did not have a rancid smell. The top notes were different than my amber bottle and the the base was close. If I had to make a choice between the two, I would select the amber that I am used to smelling. If I had no choice and only green was available, I would get it if I thought I would never find the amber again. With reports of the green in other areas, I just dont see that many bottles changing from setting on a shelf; especially when they look new.

I adore Gucci PH I and I hope I'll come into possesion of one more bottle of it.

Here is my experience this past summer. I have seen and smelled the green in more than one location. Sephoria in Knoxville,TN, Perfumania in Pegion Forge TN, and also Sephoria in Charlseton WV. The green color looks quite intentional to me as it was very clear and consistant, and it did not have a rancid smell. The top notes were different than my amber bottle and the the base was close. If I had to make a choice between the two, I would select the amber that I am used to smelling. If I had no choice and only green was available, I would get it if I thought I would never find the amber again. With reports of the green in other areas, I just dont see that many bottles changing from setting on a shelf; especially when they look new.
    I really wonder what the batch code is of those green juice Gucci pour homme bottles..........
    Can you check that perhaps?

Weird. I bought my first bottle of Gucci Pour Homme (2003) this past summer. Once Gucci dropped it from their website, I started keeping an eye out for another bottle, which I found at Sephora last month. Neither of my bottles has juice that is green at all. I'm not convinced some people aren't mixing up Gucci Pour Homme (gold top, gold juice) with Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme, which is kind of green.

Gucci Pour Homme is OUTSTANDING.
    Gucci By Gucci? ...not so much.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Weird. I bought my first bottle of Gucci Pour Homme (2003) this past summer. Once Gucci dropped it from their website, I started keeping an eye out for another bottle, which I found at Sephora last month. Neither of my bottles has juice that is green at all. I'm not convinced some people aren't mixing up Gucci Pour Homme (gold top, gold juice) with Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme, which is kind of green.

Gucci Pour Homme is OUTSTANDING.
    Gucci By Gucci? ...not so much.

I am afraid not as in the other thread about it, pics of the Gucci pour homme (2003), with green juice are posted in post 14:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/312...cci-Pour-Homme

I am afraid not as in the other thread about it, pics of the Gucci pour homme (2003), with green juice are posted in post 14:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/312...cci-Pour-Homme
    Same situation at the Sephora by me.

Green Gucci PH 1 tester on the shelf but i bought the last box they had anyway. It ended up being the amber color.

There is still no explanation for the green juice.

I find it surprising that people didn't make more of a fuss about this amazing scent being discontinued as they did about the DHI reformulation

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Same situation at the Sephora by me.

Green Gucci PH 1 tester on the shelf but i bought the last box they had anyway. It ended up being the amber color.

There is still no explanation for the green juice.

Did you perhaps smell the juice of the tester (for comparison with the well known amber colored juice) or had a chance to look at the batch code?!

A great one. Classic.

Sad to know when the bottle runs out....that's it!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Goodness do I adore this fragrance. The warmth, spicyness to it, completely masculine. Just like old school juice. Why Gucci discontinued this I cannot understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I find it surprising that people didn't make more of a fuss about this amazing scent being discontinued as they did about the DHI reformulation
    Does anyone else notice the batch variations between the 2003-2005 batch vs. the 2006-2011 batches??

I pick up a bit more sweetness in the vintage and a bit more cedar in the current.

jk! :O

- - - Updated - - -

Did you perhaps smell the juice of the tester (for comparison with the well known amber colored juice) or had a chance to look at the batch code?!
    I didn't actually. I can stop by after work and check if they still have it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post

I didn't actually. I can stop by after work and check if they still have it out.
    Ok, that would be interesting! Plz also check the batchcode so we can check year of production!

Has anyone actually received a bottle of Gucci pour Homme I with green juice in the box?

It's possible that the juice turns green when exposed to light for long periods, and it wouldn't necessarily smell like the juice has gone bad.

Like Spoombung, I'm also surprised more people didn't make a big deal that this was discontinued. Even though this has only moderate projection and longevity on my skin, I still love it.

Basenotes Member

I was wondering is there any difference between the perfume and after shave bottle?

One of the staples in my wardrobe and definitely in my top 10 all-times.
    Funny that 3-4 years ago when it was plenty available I didn't like it, but later I discovered what real beauty lies inside. I was very happy when I grabbed last year (at decent price) a big bottle and now I can't imagine being without.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

I'm banned from wearing it! My wife is a school teacher, and the pencil shavings smell does not do good things to her mood when she smells it at home.

Ok, that would be interesting! Plz also check the batchcode so we can check year of production!
    It was off the shelf and no more bottles were for sale. All they had was Gucci Sport and Gulty.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I feel it was reformulated a bit, but the bottle I have from 2005, is just outstanding. Gucci fragrances under Mr.Tom Ford
    were just stellar, once Frida Giannini became creative director, the fragrances became horrible.
    What he said ^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Curious to try this one, though amber and incense without enough greenery don't always work for me. Was at a mall shop recently and dude had some 5ml minis he quoted $23 apiece for! Instead I bought a couple vintage Zino Davidoff 125ml bottles for the same price each
    Please try it, it's a classic. IMO one of Gucci (and Tom Ford's) best releases.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

They look the same. Only different text, and no spray on the AS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keram View Post
    I was wondering is there any difference between the perfume and after shave bottle?
    They look the same. Only different text, and no spray on the AS.

Basenotes Member

Thanks WanderSIN