Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Youtube Review Request Thread

Pardon, if this is in the wrong forum, but I figured many of the YT reviewers read this forum, so it would be the most economical.

I do enjoy watching many reviewers; Robes, Jrwriter, mickers, zach, bpwool and plenty more. But it seems to be the same reviews over and over. No disrespect to these reviewers, they all do an excellent job. I tried to do some reviews on YT, and it's actually much harder than I would have imagined, so hats off to each and every one of you. Some more than others are very versatile and all over the place with the types of fragrance that they review, which is awesome.

Anyways, all else aside, I thought it'd be a good idea to start up this thread, and hopefully catch the attention of some of the reviewers.

What I'd love to see reviewed:
    Drakkar Noir
    Realities
    Philosykos
    Tam Dao
    Noir de Noir
    Escada Homme
    Michael Jordan

Although BN is loaded with tons of reviews, the thing is that.. when somebody actually speaks, and you see their facial expressions, their voice tone, and character, to me.. it speaks in volumes. I find these YT reviews and the reviewers who bring them to us to be the best of all worlds. Tons of respect to each of you who take the time to post videos for our entertainment or to help the potential buyer, you guys don't get paid, but you do it because you love it, and that's as good as it gets!

BN'ers please add to this thread if you're an advent watcher, such as myself.

Default Re: Youtube Review Request Thread

I'd love to see a review/comparison video of the EDT/EDP La Nuit De L'Homme =D

I like this thread and the idea of it, I will be keeping an eye on it .
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

I did offer to send Marc some samples for him to review but didnt hear back from him . I figured he must have thought I ws some crazy e stalker or something LOL 1111!!!! Great idea tho ....

Some frags I would love to see reviewed, even if I'm unsure if and when it's going to happen:

Knize Ten
    Zino Davidoff
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Creed VINTAGE Tabarome
    Versace L'Homme
    Esencia Loewe
    Aramis Tuscany

... and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I did offer to send Marc some samples for him to review but didnt hear back from him . I figured he must have thought I ws some crazy e stalker or something LOL 1111!!!! Great idea tho ....
    LOL
    Nah he probably just bought the bottles instead.

I'd start doing reviews again if I'd get a laptop soon but it'd be withou the girl
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I agree that the reviewers all seem to be reviewing a lot of the same fragrances lately. I'd like to see more reviews of the classics and powerhouse scents, ones that are a little more challenging like Kouros, Moustache, Francesco Smalto, Ocean Rain, Acier Aluminium, Egoiste, Antaeus, Aramis, Azzaro PH, Havana, Cartier Santos, New West, Minotaure, Salvador Dali PH, PDN New York, Jacomo de Jacomo, Zino, Trussardi, Van Cleef & Arpels PH, Yatagan, Lauder for Men, Giorgio for Men, Xeryus, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Givenchy Gentlemen, Givenchy Insensé, Horizon, Equipage, Eau Sauvage... I'd be excited to see more reviews of fragrances like these, instead of the same old reviews of D&G The One, Le Male, Allure Homme Sport, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like those frags too, but I think they're just over-represented in the Youtube fragrance reviewing community. Let's get some more variety in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I'd start doing reviews again if I'd get a laptop soon but it'd be withou the girl
    please do, i enjoyed them. very insightful

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I really enjoyed your reviews too, even without the chick, although she was great eye candy. Haven't seen any from you since the GIT comp. Hope to see you back on there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Pardon, if this is in the wrong forum, but I figured many of the YT reviewers read this forum, so it would be the most economical.

I do enjoy watching many reviewers; Robes, Jrwriter, mickers, zach, bpwool and plenty more. But it seems to be the same reviews over and over. No disrespect to these reviewers, they all do an excellent job. I tried to do some reviews on YT, and it's actually much harder than I would have imagined, so hats off to each and every one of you. Some more than others are very versatile and all over the place with the types of fragrance that they review, which is awesome.

Anyways, all else aside, I thought it'd be a good idea to start up this thread, and hopefully catch the attention of some of the reviewers.

Drakkar Noir
    Realities
    Philosykos
    Tam Dao
    Noir de Noir
    Escada Homme
    Michael Jordan

Although BN is loaded with tons of reviews, the thing is that.. when somebody actually speaks, and you see their facial expressions, their voice tone, and character, to me.. it speaks in volumes. I find these YT reviews and the reviewers who bring them to us to be the best of all worlds. Tons of respect to each of you who take the time to post videos for our entertainment or to help the potential buyer, you guys don't get paid, but you do it because you love it, and that's as good as it gets!

It's always good to see a Youtube thread on basenotes. Of those you mention, I have a tester of Realities that I should get around to reviewing. I don't have the others. Used to have a mini of Drakkar, but it's long gone. There was a young boy reviewer that did Michael Jordon cologne awhile back. I should just get a mini myself. Why pay 3 bucks for a 1 ml sample, when you can buy a mini of Jordon for about 6 bucks? I do think it's always a thrill to be the first on Youtube to review a frag. It also suprises me that more don't do it. Maybe it's easier to just kinda steal someone elses opinion a bit and just do the same stuff. I certainly think that just about any review on the frags you mention would benefit the fragrance community more than, say, another take on Secretions Magnifique!

Oh yeah, one more thing. It seems that a lot of the frags you mention are hardly hot sellers right now. I am always gracious to receive samples to review or swap with people from my rather large collection of different things. I usually put a priority on any fragrance received as a swap or gift. Not sure it that is the case with other reviewers though.

I'm not apposed to sending samples, I just need to get some atomizers. I'm just a big cheapskate when it comes to that. The only place I see these are online from wholesalers pretty much, or ebay. I really dislike ebay, and their lack of having a customer service team, especially for a site that deals with so many buyers and sellers. I'm keeping my eyes open for buying atomizers in person, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

50 bucks for 100 atomizers that I'm just gonna end up giving away, that people are just gonna use and throw out, doesn't go well in my mind. I'm a big time Jew. LOL

Go to a Sephora and ask them to give you a few of the sample vials that they use, or just take a few out of the box sitting there, that's what I've done. And re the comment about sending Marc samples, I'm pretty sure he wears the frag so much before reviewing it that a sample wouldn't be enough, plus he uses the bottle as part of the review so a sample won't do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Go to a Sephora and ask them to give you a few of the sample vials that they use, or just take a few out of the box sitting there, that's what I've done. And re the comment about sending Marc samples, I'm pretty sure he wears the frag so much before reviewing it that a sample wouldn't be enough, plus he uses the bottle as part of the review so a sample won't do the trick.
    Thanks for the Sephora idea, I'll check it out this week.

I'm not even sure how many Youtube reviewers are even active in the basenotes community. I know I check in quite often, as does Kerosene. However, I know how you feel. We all have a handful of frags that go under the radar. Maybe they're classics like Drakkar, or just some random thing you got a good deal on that hardly anyone knows about. Of course, since it's just a hobby, not a business, not many want to blind buy stuff just for the sake of another vid. I just ordered a full bottle of cologne blind that nobody is really talking about, let alone discussing on Youtube. If you have a webcam and an opinion of a certain frag, I'd highly encourage you to just start making your own videos. A well done 2 minute video could do wonders to promote an underappreciated cologne.

I have a review on Philosykos Don't have any of the others though unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltDxEg__Fm4

I'm also open to any suggestions i have available from my wardrobe.

Full bottles
    Decants
    Last edited by Smeghead; 13th October 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

Drakkar Noir
    Realities
    Philosykos
    Tam Dao
    Noir de Noir
    Escada Homme
    Michael Jordan

Well here is the issue at least when it comes to myself(cutlasssupremesl) and Jonathon(jrwriter) since we have talked many times about this. I have a ton of samples BUT the problem is that I can't review everything that every person wants me to. So I know for myself I will take suggestions and go try to find the samples in my spare time. But my review flow goes 70% on what I want to review and my adventures in the fragrance world. The other 30% is mixed up of what people have been asking for that I am ready to review or can be ready to review or even have a sample/bottle of to review. I never joined this community of reviews to review everything the people want. I join to give my 2 cents/opinion on what I can and choose to. We have a life too and my is pretty busy for a 24 yr old. But I do take everything into consideration that most ppl say.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Just wanted to revamp this thread because I did keep an eye on it. Sadly I don't own much of these bottles mentioned (since I do take my sweet time with each review I do and I don't mind blind buying bottles). I am working on the Philosykos review since that is one bottle I have. The others that I saw namely Tam Dao, Noir de Noir, Knize Ten, Chanel PM, Antaeus are all bottles I am planning to purchase in the near future and to do reviews on them. Thanks BN
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Agreed, all of the fragrances that new people know about are the ones on youtube as that is the place they are most likely to go when looking for answers or reviews. Someone should make the shift over to less popular, but well done fragrances.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split