Code of Conduct

Default which niche fragrances offer the best versatility?

i mainly am into designer fragrances and the reason for this is due to thier versatility. most designer fragrances are meant to appeal to a broad range of individuals and situations while most niche frags and made to appeal to a certain few. for example, i wouldnt wear tobacco vanille due to work because its too strong, doesn't go well with warm weather. it imo just doesn't go that well with lots of situations but for the few that it does, it works excellent. musc ravaguer would be perfect for a date, but i wouldnt wear it to work, its too much for warm weather, and overall for me just wouldn't work for most situations other than dates or a night out of town. aqua di gio on the other hand can be worn anytime, so can boss bottled, la nui de lomme, bvlgari aqua, etc...the only niche frags which great versatility i have found are certain creed(GIT, Millesime Imperial, SMW). which niche fragrances offer the best versatility? im not talking about something thats completely out of left fields(i.e something incredibly unique), but rather something that would appeal to the masses and be wearable all year long like the designer frags i mentioned.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Default Re: which niche fragrances offer the best versatility?

original vetiver, guerlain vetiver, aventus.

Creeds are the way to go for you then. Surprisingly a few of Serge Lutens as well (chergui, and Five O'clock Gingembre). L'Artisan and Hermessence are also perfect middle of the road fragrances, they're not boring, yet not very unique or strong.

Dependent

I find Dorissima Narziß to be one of the safest niche scents around. It smells great, contemporary, inoffensive. I can imagine wearing it casually or to work, in any kind of weather. I was a little disappointed when I first smelled it, because I was expecting and wanting something weird and challenging. Now, I really appreciate its "safeness".

Another one that could work is Cereus No. 14, I don't own it anymore, but it was one of the most pleasant and versatile ones I've ever had. It is probably meant for slightly colder weather, but I've worn it in our tropical weather with no problems.

Bond No. 9 is another line that's tailored to generally mainstream tastes -- say, modern mainstream. For classic mainstream, you might also enjoy exploring the Parfums de Nicolaï range.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Some of these will depend on what you'd consider "niche":

Guerlain, +1 on Vetiver, and Habit Rouge EdC is very versatile
    Parfum d'Empire, Iskander
    Penhaligons Racquets Formula
    C&S No. 88 and maybe Dark Rose
    Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau seems an office-safe green rose
    Caron masculines, even Yatagan
    MPG Centaure, Garrigue
    Serge Lutens, Muscs Kublai Khan (lightly layer for casual/office, reapply for the evening festivities)

"designers" with "niche" distribution:
    CdG Man 2, Artek Standard, Hinoki, Sequoia, Vetiver, most of the Incense series
    Knize Ten, and Forest, Two is a little bit formal

Not everything in "niche" perfumery is wierdly unique, mostly unwearable, and insanely expensive.

Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo.
    Its easy to wear anytime, anywhere.
    Its well blended with high quality (and it smells like it) ingredients.
    And unlike many niche scents, the price is reasonable. Its 80$ for a 50ml bottle.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Anywhere, anytime . . . personal favourites which have their own individual character but don't scream 'look at me' IMO

+1 Villoresi Uomo
    Histoires de Parfums 1725
    Hermessences Vetiver Tonka
    Green Irish Tweed
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    Nicolai Pour Homme
    Editions de Parfum French Lover
    Aqua di Parma Colonia

A scent safe for virtually any occasion and is niche? Amouage Reflection Man.

Serge Lutens Gris Clair is quite versatile in my opinion. For formal events, you could go with something else, but for everything else...

Also, Santa Maria Novella has a wide range of fragrances that come across as versatile to me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Heeley fragrances in general has this versatility that you`re looking for. I recommend you Sel Marin, a great vetiver fragrance with some citrus, something a little bit salty, and a fruity opening. Their Cuir Pleine Fleur is awesome too, a smooth suede accord that works perfect on summer, hot days.

New York by Parfums d'Nicolai

Reflection Man by Amouage
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

sorry missed niche first read

I think creed MI and GIT are pretty versatile
    Last edited by Force of One; 11th October 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: correction

As far as niches go, GIT is a very versatile one .
    John aka Easykiller

I think Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive could be a year round signature scent. Maybe the only niche that feels like a tempting buy at the moment.

Creed GIT, Opus 1870 by Penhaligons, ADP Colonia, and, to me-surprisingly- even Knize Ten (not for casual occasions of course, but for a variety of semi-formal, business-related and formal social calls)