Code of Conduct

Default Neiman Marcus recommendations

I have a gift card from NM and I feel obligated to use it. I am dabbling in samples today to see what I might be interested in. I have GIT, MI, SMW, Aventus, and Samtal Imperial of the Creed line. Of those, I could use a GIT deodorant or shower gel but, what about getting some REL, OV, OS, or Neroli Sauvage? I need suggestions. I really don't want anything in the Hermes line at this time. Thanks in advance!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Neiman Marcus recommendations

VC&A Midnight in Paris EDP
    Halston Man Amber
    Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i think OV is so versatile and has some very therapeutic citrus notes.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    VC&A Midnight in Paris EDP
    +1

@petruccijc How do you like Midnight in Paris EDP compared to Bvlgari Black and Dior Homme?

You've got all the good creeds, save for maybe Erolfa (if you're a hardcore aquatic guy).

I'd suggest:
    Kalimantan by Chanteceille
    Something by Tom Ford? Neroli Portfonio or Oud Wood come to mind.
    They have Chanel Exclusifs and Guerlain exclusive collection in some branches as far as I know as well, so look into that.
    Or you could always get some designer stuff from Dior/Guerlain/YSL/Thierry Mugler.Chanel.

I have to put in a word for the following two:

Creed Love in Black
    Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia
    -

I just purchased Tabarome Millesime. While it seems to be the forgotten stepchild of the Creed millesime line, I have to say I really like it. The ginger gives it a certain zing, and unlike some of the others, it will give you solid longevity without having to over spray.

Give it a shot.

Neroli Sauvage is really solid. Have you tried Green Valley though? After I had already begun collecting Creeds, I went to Neiman Marcus and did some testing of the ones I didn't have. Green Valley might have been my favorite Creed of them all! As I went down the line, I kept coming back to Green Valley. It's a real grabber.

Also, Virgin Island Water is mesmerizing if you save it for a sunny day. Today, I got up and wanted to go walk down the block and grab a coffee and didn't feel like taking a shower first. I gave myself a couple squirts of VIW and it was like sunshine was flowing through my veins. It's not the most versatile Creed ever, but that's one reason I find it special-- I really save it for those days when it's warm and I'm going outside. There are times in winter when I'm looking at my drobe wondering why the heck I ever bought VIW (at retail, no less), but then when Spring and Summer hit, it puts most other things to shame. It makes me feel like a movie star when I wear it-- it smells like you're a jet-setter on vacation doing a million things, going a hundred places and yet still cool, relaxed and smelling a cut above. I never wear suntan lotion, but I love the smell of it, and I like that VIW incorporates just a little bit of that feel, while also having so many other dimensions. Plus it's extremely long lasting. It feels slightly oilier to the touch than some of the other Creeds and I suspect that the oil content is relatively high ( though at the same time, the juice is completely clear, with no color, so perhaps this isn't so).

That's the thing that I love about Creed-- so many of their best scents are made for warm weather. Most of the other houses that people venerate are known for their heavier offerings, while a good number of Creeds are the best things you can put on your skin on a warm or hot day. Just like a cold winter day can really bring out the depth of a good Oriental, sometimes it takes the right kind of weather for some of these fresh Creeds to show their quality and class.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 5th April 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

All very good suggestions. I am interested in a great number recommended here. Mr. Petrucci's suggestions are stellar as is zztopp and as always, I love reading how Indie guy describes things. A very entertaining read! I will have to give this some thought and plunge through my samples to see if I have a couple of these.

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Arpels
    Halston Man Amber
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Look at the Maison Francis Kurkdjian line also.

Cologne pour le Soir
    Absolue pour le soir
    APOM
    Cologne por le Matin

All are excellent.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Midnight In Paris EDP
    Any of the Atelier Colognes

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Midnight In Paris EDP
    Any of the Atelier Colognes
    Interesting. I just phoned a Neimans SA for her opinions. She is quite knowledgeable and recommended the same things. She is expediting me samples of these in addition to Houbigant's as well. Can't wait!!!

I would recommend Original Vetiver, Scentologist. Stay away from lot number A4009Y02. This batch is extremely weak and will be undetectable after 20 minutes. I've tested a few other batches and they seemed fine. This batch on the other hand is terrible.
    - Expect the unexpected

Urban Musk by Tom Ford
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Blog Entries

Have you tried Tobacco Vanille yet? There's less buzz about it lately here, but it's quite good.
    Don't forget Guerlain - have you tried Vetiver yet?

Many Neimans have L'Artisan, Serge Lutens, Annick Goutal, Different Company, and other niche lines, which offer a ton of possibilities (maybe Fou d'Absinthe or Chergui? Or go with an old standby like Eau d'Hadrien).

Those are my obvious BN-approved picks.

I'll also second Halston Man Amber, Kalimantan, and Fougere Royale.

They also often carry niche legend 10 Corso Como (both the original and the new Uomo).

I personally have yet to be impressed by those Atelier colognes, which strike me as overpriced for what they are, but people here seem to like them.

As a side note, the Neiman Marcus website still sells the original cult-following barely-available-in-america-any-more original Egoiste, not just Platinum, if you've been wanting a bottle of that.

All that being said, if I had a big NM gift card, I'd probably blow it on a bottle of L'Heure Bleue or Mitsouko extrait...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

L'Heure Bleue extrait would be nice. The Houbigant Fougere Royale would be a good choice too. Who knows how long that will be around.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband bought Cartier Santos at Neiman Marcus, and likes it quite a lot-- as do I. Spicy and very pleasant. He had it on today, in fact.

I found all the Ateliers weaker than I would prefer.

By the way, in case you plan to spend more than the gift card, remember that NM doesn't take Visa or Mastercard.

Habit Rouge EdP (Beau Cavalier). If they don't have it, have them special order it. Halston Man Amber is the other one that blows other "oud" frags out of the water except, of course, HB EdP.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Have you tried Tobacco Vanille yet? There's less buzz about it lately here, but it's quite good.
    This is a scent I appreciate more every single time I wear it. Gourmand-ish. Just enough tobacco to keep feeling manly. Incredible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    By the way, in case you plan to spend more than the gift card, remember that NM doesn't take Visa or Mastercard.
    This
    -

NM carries many good lines. Among those not yet mentioned, take a look at Acqua di Parma and Sisley.

My Creed vote goes to Neroli Sauvage.

And +1 for Halston Man Amber.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I personally have yet to be impressed by those Atelier colognes, which strike me as overpriced for what they are, but people here seem to like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I found all the Ateliers weaker than I would prefer.
    I agree. And I found the new Vanille Insensee to be quite putrid.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yeah, the SA was pushing those Atelier Colognes quite hard. I told her fairly, I haven't smelled them, sure. However, I don't think it would strike an accord with me. It seems too gimmicky, especially when she start raving how I'd have to layer a few of them for a full-bodied effect. I'm most excited to Try the Halston MA, Houbigant FR, and Midnight in Paris. I hope to did indeed include those in my package.