Code of Conduct

Default Samples I have finished but won't discard

This may be too ambitious, but I realized that there are certain samples that I have either finished and won't throw the vial away, or refuse to finish, and so they hang around with a drop or two.....essentially, I love them too much to have them gone forever, but for one reason or another, haven't purchased full bottles.

For example:
    Ormonde Woman
    Guerlain Plus Que Jamais
    Guerlain Parure
    Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Hermes Amber Narguile
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Del Rae Bois de Paradis
    Ava Luxe Viva

Does this ring a bell with any other basenoters?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Samples I have finished but won't discard

If I'm thinking of buying one, I may hang onto the vial to sniff/check if I still feel the same about it when I can finally afford to buy it. Increasingly I'm waiting a bit before buying as I do find that my inclination to buy wanes with time.

Basenotes Plus

Like 30 Roses, I keep the ones I might possibly buy in the future. The ones I didn't like enough to want a full bottle I throw away when empty.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 11th October 2010 at 03:33 PM.

I have some samples from at least ten years ago and am reluctant to discard. They still smell good.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Come to think of it, I have a bit left of samples I have no intention of ever buying, but still enjoy sniffing the vial.

My TPC extraits of Chanel No. 22, Bellodgia, Tabac Blond, Nuit de Noel, and Fleurs de Rocaille; Ambre Narguile (me, too, rtamara ); Yatagan.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 15th October 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Yep, I've done this. Here they are:

Bulgari Eau Parfumee Au The Blanc
    L'Artisan Annanas Fizz

Since I'm a newbie, my situation is more about samples I disliked but fear discarding them because they might be different in another season, or they just need to grow on me or whatever.

Blog Entries

l keep a small amount of every sample l've had, in case l try something that reminds me of one of them & l need to compare, or just to remind myself what they smelled like. Sometimes l sample something in winter & decide it'll work better in summer, & vice-versa. The only exceptions are ones l've really disliked & given away, or the little spray vials which seem to evaporate after a while, so l use them up fairly quickly. l'm not sure how many l've got, it's more than 50 l think, but there are a couple l'm using up slowly until l get a full bottle, namely Carnal Flower & Beyond Love. l've also got some almost-full ones which l sort-of like but haven't got around to wearing much, these are usually mainstream scents l've picked up in department stores. l keep them all in a lovely carved wooden box a friend brought back from Romania, the box smells amazing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Jardenia. I sniff it a lot.

I started off the other way around, actually. I figured I'd use up whatever samples I had to make sure that the ones I've purchased won't be used up so quickly. Might be a silly notion but eventually, I found that I've gotten careful even with the sample ones for fear that I'd use those up before I actually purchase the ones I plan to. ie. Angel. Half a sample left so hopefully, I've acquired it before the sample's gone!